Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I know the thread title will never change, but

hn thread: as one of the highest performing team members in every organization I’ve been at

rings in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hmm, think I’ll try to get some hierarchical search in before bed—but no copying, don’t want to get too wound up and wreck my sleep!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

S3, kinda?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Ayn Rand villain

p deece username

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warp is a closed-source, commercial project so I don’t think they’re looking to attract contributors. it’s just brand halo poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Karl predicted everything

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

his first account didn’t have the “19” in it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

such petty, small assholes

do something that matters (positive or negative, honestly) and you won’t have interest in tanking people’s references to prop up your self-image

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, it’s sweet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spanish, famously close in structure to Arabic

(right-to-replace dude should just get a Framework)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

14 weeks is p deece firing-figgies, yeah

otoh, it might be worth it to coinbase to lock down all those good non-disparagement clauses

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(the real severance thing you want in the US, AIUI, is for them to pay your COBRA for a year)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr.Radar posted:

bayindirh 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Cost of a Integer Cast in Go

> This is using GCC Go which no-one actually uses.

I for one develop on GCC-Go. The only reason I chose Go as my next project's language is because it has a GCC implementation (I have strict rule about GPL licensed development tool chains for my own projects).

“bayindirh” isn’t rot13 for “rstallman”, in case anyone else was wondering

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bet there are easily a thousand people at Google easily who got paid a million dollars each for their work on Chromium, whether that took 3 months or 3 years to accrue in the individual cases.

plus paying $1/install for a long time and whatever you estimate the value to be of having an ad for the software on the Google search (not results) page at various times

plus acquisitions like GreenBorder and whatever the VP8 company was called

you can get to billions, I bet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4lokos basilisk posted:

intense vibes of someone who mastered one (1) complex technical concept and now everything looks like a nail

with that strategy they should be pitching LPs, not posting on HN

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4lokos basilisk posted:

pitching lets plays is a thing?

alternatively the only other meaning of LP i know refers to a full length album

sorry, limited partners, the people who fund VCs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plorkyeran posted:

i miss the guy that got mad about github changing the default branch name for newly created repositories to main because apparently he had a ci setup which involved creating github respositories via the api, cloning the repository, and then doing something with github's auto-created skeleton initial commit, which would break and be a very large project to fix if that commit wasn't present on a branch named master.

or maybe he was just lying and was unable to come up with a plausible reason for why github changing its default would cause massive problems. the world will never know.

I think he was lying because I believe GitHub lets you choose the default branch name (plus you can change it later easily)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s a good tangent

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

poo poo, you can build your own variant for free these days by inhaling deeply as you walk through an airport

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just step on that joke. grind it into the ground. good, now harder

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jose Valasquez posted:

spoils19 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

pb7 is probably correct here, as they are in many things. Elon probably knows what he's doing, you don't get to that level of businessmen without making all the right decisions.

oh good heavens

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr.Radar posted:

exabrial 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Then I'll pull it out as cash and they can fight me for it.

narrator:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

for my sanity: there's no way that's not a troll

there, there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IBM shut up about decimal types challenge (impossible)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, it’s about creating the strongest possible counter-argument to your position in order to more effectively evaluate it. used in good faith it’s a reasonable approach, but it’s…not always used in good faith

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pressing “.” on GitHub to get dropped into a web-hosted vscode instance still feels like the future

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

post hole digger posted:

IshKebab 1 day ago | parent | context | favorite | on: An M1 for Curl

I think you could replace 99% of the uses of Curl (download one file via HTTPS) with like 100 lines of Python or Rust or Go. It's not critical infrastructure in the same way that OpenSSL or LLVM or WebKit are.

https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2022/10/14/rewriting-curl-in-three-days/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

did you never have good teachers in school? education and entertainment aren’t mutually exclusive. there ought to be a word for the hybrid!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Achmed Jones posted:

intro docs aren't the same thing as internal playbooks, scripts, and library documentation; pretending they are is disingenuous

there are lots of pieces of documentation that are entertaining. they don’t have to be amusing to be entertaining, just enjoyable. well-indexed, nice layout, comprehensive, consistent, diagrams where helpful, examples of complex cases as well as simple, high-quality translation — all very much properties of enjoyable documentation

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean yeah, but that's not at all the same thing as the poignant guide to ruby stuff

I agree, that sort of stuff is a small subset of possible entertainment. I’m just responding to the goon text as found unquoted in this thread!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hell yeah :unsmigghh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Internet Janitor posted:

it's all the better, because star trek goes to great pains to constantly point out that an overreliance on logic is unwise. virtually every time spock rattles off a probability estimate he winds up dead wrong by the end of the adventure

how do we learn that he’s wrong about the probability? improbable things can occur!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m a little embarrassed about that post, but obviously not enough so

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

god bless you, mystes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, the homeless person is the perpetrator of financial violence. makes sense

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gross

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

next let’s compare slashdot user IDs

79**

it was a different time

113 hn karma

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hatred for Meta is a rational position

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nudgenudgetilt posted:

...guilty. it isn't intentional, it just happens

I routinely leave cupboard doors open when my adhd-coated brain switches to the next step of the task before I’ve finished getting whatever. my wife mentioned closing them for me in her speech at our wedding, it’s just sort of a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

work in progress