Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22868054

There are a lot of people who seem to think that it's somehow legal for Amazon to fire people for talking about their working conditions because it's "company policy"

My favorite is the people who claim to be aware of the NLRA, but assert that a right to public collective organizing somehow gets invalidated if you mention the working conditions of coworkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there's no functional enforcement mechanism for anything in the nlra, so good luck defending your "rights"
See this is a reasonable point to make. Enforcement is shoddy and remedies for violations of the law are weak.

This, however, is not a coherent frame of mind:

quote:

Right, and that poster specifically talks about your working conditions. It says nothing about a protected right to talk about other people's working conditions.

quote:

They imply other people, yes; but mutual implies both sides. If you're only talking about other people's working conditions and never talking about your own, there's nothing mutual going on.
I can't tell whether it's just weird pedantic :smug:, genuine Libertarian beliefs of what ought to be, or grasping at straws to validate some dystopian worldview

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

maybe i chose my words poorly

decades of case law surrounding the nlra and nlrb have reduced your ostensible "rights" to almost nothing

the minute these guys whispered a word to the public, outside the business, they were hosed. even discussing internally with other employees is gonna be sliced and diced by lawyers

it's all bullshit and they were hosed before they even started
I'm not sure things are that gloomy. Just last year Google had a similar policy and had to pay out a few settlements, reinstate some people, and issue company-wide NLRB notices saying that the "company policy" restricting external communications doesn't apply to discussing pay, working conditions, or other organizing activity. Amazon's in a similar position now.

But yeah I wouldn't exactly bet on the worker here.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

power botton posted:

how many settlements and how much were they compared to revenue
These amounts are basically always confidential but probably not a lot of money

But the larger point is that these laws do exist in some form, and even in Republican administrations things sometimes happen

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, we have a new "tea party" that has almost no popular support, and the president is backing this poo poo publicly. we may find the president can create a popular movement from nothing. who knows
"I wish the President would show some leadership on Coronavirus"

*monkey's paw closes a finger and grants you a wish*

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

alexandriao posted:

This is the kind of logic idiocy which is why yudkowsky thinks you should torture someone for 50 years to avoid 2^(bignumber) people getting a dust speck in their eye.
While we're complaining about utilitarianism...

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Scott Adams angry replying to JarJar Binx itt

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

At some point goatse.cx released their server logs and there was exactly one visitor from Iran

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I was gonna write a novel, but knowing that my great grandchildren can't continue to claim royalties 75 years after my death made me decide it just wasn't worth it

Now 85 years after I die and my great great grandchildren can still profit, now you're talking about an incentive

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Your decision to join a company like ours and then start a family clearly reflects inexcusably poor judgment, so obviously this termination is for cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

My child’s god given right to Go To Cal shall not be infringed
were you Becky from Full House?