Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

idiots on hacker news posted:

frabert 14 hours ago [–]

Honestly, this point is kind of nonsense to me. If people acted as if they were held to the higher standard, we would not need licenses. People (especially when they're not acting alone, e.g. corporations) act in their monetary interest, most of the time. Hence, stick to the license that's least restrictive that still ticks all the boxes you feel are important. If you feel attribution is important, choose a license that makes it legally binding.

Brah, just because you can take from the commons without giving back doesn't mean it's acceptable. Oh wait, this is Silicon Valley where everything is predicated on raiding the commons and giving nothing back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
I like this recent criticism of Paul Graham: https://ideolalia.com/essays/thought-leaders-and-chicken-sexers.html.

tl; dr posted:

But Graham’s analysis of brevity, and indeed of all language design, was fundamentally unserious. He wasn’t interested in a rigorous definition of brevity, because the ultimate measure of a language’s quality was still his hacker’s radar.

[...]

Michael Polanyi coined the term “tacit knowledge” to describe something we only understand as part of something else. When we speak, for instance, we don’t focus on the sounds we’re making, we focus on our words. We understand how to speak, but would struggle to explain it. Tacit knowledge comprises the vast majority of what we know; we rely on it constantly.

[...]

This is the essence of modern “thought leadership”, and it’s served Graham well. His essays on language design, as well as a few on startups, brought in the first entrepreneurs to his fledgling VC fund. People applied to YCombinator because they wanted Graham to apply his intuition to their problems.

[...]

This is all to say that Paul Graham is an effective marketer and practitioner, but a profoundly unserious public intellectual. His attempts to grapple with the major issues of the present, especially as they intersect with his personal legacy, are so mired in intuition and incuriosity that they’re at best a distraction, and worst a real obstacle to understanding our paths forward.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

fritz posted:

i wanna hear some of those mchurch-at-google stories

Old HN thread I dug up, not very descriptive: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3702761

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

DaTroof posted:

don't be afraid to refuse one of those "all your code are belong to us" agreements. i've never had an employer drop me when i argued against it

probably unenforceable anyway

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

carry on then posted:

i work with a development-size openshift cluster and i genuinely have no idea how people keep these things running in production. it seriously wants to kill itself in so many obnoxious ways, and this is a 3+3 cluster with three users and no traffic

my previous employer had a team of five people dedicated to figuring k8s ops out. i was on it for a bit before i realized it's a place where you absorb all blame when things go wrong (frequently, with k8s/kernel updates, etc) and get no credit because nobody cares when it's all working.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
rootsudo 3 hours ago [–]

And, so what?
Is everyone going to stop like how "gas" is under scrutiny? No.

Replace with coal, or any other commodity. Copper, Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc.
"the annual carbon emissions from the electricity required to mine Bitcoin and process its transactions are equal to the amount emitted by all of New Zealand. Or Argentina."

So? When did comparing to a country become a metric of success or for cause of concern? We can say the same/use the same metric for Gold, Silver. In general an economic indicator of prosperity is energy usage.

If anything this sounds like a marketing piece for the companies cited in the article vs a rag on bitcoin itself.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

at least it's not python

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
it's available from various vendors in the ad serving ecosystem (look for "server-side ad insertion"). but yeah, interacts badly with caching and makes personalization/tracking a pain.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
docmars 1 day ago

How is this a conspiracy theory? Why jump to that conclusion about this person's perfectly reasonable statement and hypothesis?
Stories of children either passing out or dying because they were required to wear masks during track outdoors. Or hell, walking my normal pace (quite fast), I breathe pretty heavily and the amount of oxygen my body takes in with a mask is markedly reduced versus when I'm not wearing one. It is a stark difference, and one I hope I never have to experience again due to disproportionate government and private business mandates rooted in paranoia around the most absurdly low risk levels for the majority of age groups.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
dcow 7 hours ago [-]

Is it just me or do “markets” feel like a really dumb AI that is incapable of any sort of strategic planning? It feels like it has the maturity if a child in grocery store swooping up all the candy and scoffing at all the vegetables. Undoubtably markets are great for a lot of things but simply devastating when ineffectively applied to mission-critical goods and services that involve contextually aware knowledge and meta-level thinking. It seems like theres a missing component that would observe swings in demand and try to smooth out the impacts by e.g. subsidizing industries where demand has tanked or taxing industries where demand has skyrocketed in a tapering way (tax that reduces over time as the rate of change of the price of the commodity changes) to avoid something like shuttering a sawmill because of a temporary swing in market economics.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
Syzygies 6 hours ago [–]

Dunno what I said the last time a call violated the do-not-call list and woke me. They actually called back later to tell me how shook up they were, and that they'd been discussing my response with their lawyers.

I don't see a difference between kidnapping one person for a week, and taking ten seconds away from 56,874 people. I'd support similar penalties.

[...]

(my note: yeah, i removed the remainder but it was kind of irrelevant; the first part alone is enough to warrant posting here)

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
typical applications of ml = results equivalent to prng, most of the time

feel like this shouldn’t be controversial even to the hn crowd

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

Buttons840 13 hours ago [–]

> Things seem to be hardest for younger single employees who don’t always have great work from home environments and are also sometimes lonely. Also, some of my coworkers with kids are having a hard time being productive with pressures from kids or spouses that don’t respect the working from home boundaries.

I agree this is a reality and has to be considered.

But we need to acknowledge that this is people's personal problems coming into the workplace. If there is going to be a compromise, at some point I'm going to at least want it acknowledged that Bob's personal problems are the reason I can no longer interact with my new born baby a few time throughout the day, and will thus spend significantly less time with them during this brief phase of their life. I also want it acknowledged that Bob's personal problems are the reason my risk of early death in a car accident are greatly increased. Otherwise, I'm going to feel that any "compromise" is forced.

It's a hard problem.

bet this guy also thinks having to pay taxes for public services is other people's poverty problems interfering with his ability to spend on private services

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

so the trusts will have to raise rates. nbd.

you mean the fed has to print more money

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

izagoof posted:

every hn post is like this to me, just someone shooting out a strangely formulated and incoherent take that my eyes slide over while trying to read

this, but particularly for anything ml related

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Penisface posted:

the field needs more women because if there is a definition of ‘awesome’ everyone gets judged against, then everyone - not only the existing, biased tech demographics - should have a say in what ‘awesome’ is

awesome, noun

definition:

white mediocrity man who mistakes luck for talent

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
b4llsy99 4 minutes ago [–]

This is hilarious as he has drafted CoCs before.

Peter is your stereotypical twitter SJW personality. He's not as bad as some people we could name here. He at least codes unlike most of the pretenders.

You see kids - fascism is bad for everyone. You might think that just because you're a beta male that chastises everyone on every internet forum about 'muh sexism' to win points with the girls, even though they'll never gently caress you cause you're beta, you're immune but this is proof that it is not the case.

The only way to win this game is to not play the game.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
averages suck. i bet the distribution for life expectancy was not exactly gaussian even before the mean started declining.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
i try not to browse hn too often, but whenever i do i find myself surprised that it isn't wall-to-wall crypto nonsense since it seems like the sort of thing posters there would be particularly interested in

guess based on that understanding it's not surprising an ex-yc person was involved in some sort of crypto-related scam

epitaph fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 8, 2022

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Xik posted:

Problem: Data centers have a huge environmental impact.

Solution:

golemotron 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: The staggering ecological impacts of computation a...

Consumption really can lead to the development of clean energy sources. People need to develop a growth-mindset on this issue.

coiners like to repeat the same nonsense regarding their useless activities

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
you had me at “backdoor injectors”

only handcrafted artisanal binaries are good enough for this guy. better brush up on machine code.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
memish 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Who owns the media and big tech now??? It's not poor people!
At least Elon Musk is a very rich person who believes in free speech. Which is good for us poors. Twitter and the national discourse will be objectively better for working class voices as a result. Less so for the gatekeepers and media elite commentariat

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
x_young 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I think removing Trump was an objectively positive move for a number of reasons, but Twitter’s bottom line isn’t one of them.
Wouldn't Trump tweets drive a bunch of traffic and therefore ad revenue to the platform? Seems like an obvious move just from a business sense.

what even is objective positivity?

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
frozenport 30 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

No.
Underlying problem is that Nintendo has a non-viable business model combined with a culture that tolerates things like rigid work hours and low pay. They can't make life better for employees because their business model sucks.
The correct thing is to simply not work for them.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
zozbot234 1 minute ago | root | parent | next [–]

> He's always been like that - narcissistic, manipulative, dishonest, hateful, lacking empathy, attention-seeking, unhinged.
That only makes it even more impressive that he has managed to accomplish truly world-changing things like building reusable rockets or practical mass-market EV's. Most "narcissistic, manipulative, dishonest, hateful, lacking empathy, attention-seeking, unhinged" folks wouldn't manage to do anything even marginally worthwhile, even in such a key position as, e.g. president of a large superpower.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
nikolay 0 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Sentient AI is not interested in food... which it cannot consume

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
walkhour 14 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Since Musk said he wanted to buy Twitter, every day there are two or three news about him, all of them in negative light.

News about how there's rampant overt racism in the factories, how he's a sexist bigot, how he's going to turn Twitter into a forum for the third Reich, how he's a crypto scammer, and how he's involved in so many illegal things.

When was the last time we saw a post in HN talking about how Elon Musk is helping combat climate change?

I'm not saying he's not a jerk but the publishing bias against him is overwhelming.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
h2odragon 24 minutes ago | next [–]

What a great idea. Allow un-drugged, "natural" atheletes as a class, and allow "open" for those who choose to use chemicals or whatever to enhance performance. The rules on "cyber enhancements" should be good for centuries of pleasant and ultimately meaningless flame war.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
http 2 was basically not worth anyone’s time. it’s massively more complex and its main feature (multiplexing) makes tail latency much worse due to head-of-line blocking.

http/3 and quic on the other hand is a genuine improvement and the web will be better off for it

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
nbzso 10 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Is there someone in the illustrator community who is not excited about this meaningful technology? So cool.

You don't have a job anymore. As a start, you will get less money. Why I have to pay you when GPT 3 can generate prompts for DALL-E?

Send your congratulations to the geniuses which in search of validation and budget optimization are bringing this revolution ahead. This thing proved for me that the UI design and design in general are the next target. I have transitioned to pure frontend development, and I am cool for the next three to six years. After this who knows.

On the artistic end. No more digital painting for me. I will use only analogue mediums, may be someone will pay for a human made picture on the wall....who knows.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
twilio is firing and the hackers are mad:

anonym29 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

To imply there is absolutely no overlap between the group of people espousing CRT and the group of people who believe the world would be a better place if every white person spontaneously died is to be willfully ignorant of an unfortunate reality.

We should be taking the opportunity to disavow the latter on behalf of the good intentions of the former.

anonym29 9 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I'll believe this was actually racially blind when Twilio releases a count of each race that was laid off, and the sum of each race for employees in the company prior to the layoff. It's very simple for everyone to verify whether there was racial targeting outside the statistically probable bounds of random selection from the parent group.

I have no problem with people being woke as long as we're both working towards a provable shared reality with data rather than rhetoric.

Humans lie. Sufficient amounts of data analyzed by a suficient number of people do not.

Assuming it was possible to look at the data I call for above, would you be opposed to the public dissemination and analysis of it?

spamizbad 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

That's not good enough. They could just lie. You need a formal audit conducted by a third party. Anything else is unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
re: musk code reviews

subradios 5 days ago | prev | next [–]

This is the strategy of someone who is aware of an internal cultural problem at Twitter.

You can blame pointy haired PMs, activist community managers, leetcode and Foosball engineers, or whoever you want for the situation.

To Musk its all the same, over 50% of the workforce was actively hostile to Musk for being Musk, and at least 25% was actively engaged in sacrificing the business to pursue personal or political agendas.

This would be fine if Twitter were a cash cow posting record profits, but it wasn't.

The strategy Musk is performing is to create as much chaos as possible to shake out as many of those groups as possible, and hire back anyone caught in the crossfire.

I've never seen a CEO attempt this at this scale, but at my last company there was an employee like above in a top position - and in order to get rid of the people under his influence the only solution was to can the whole division.