Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Breakfast All Day posted:

if theres one thing i think when i browse to a webpage today to read a text article and it chugs along at 10 fps on my 16 core 4ghz 256gb ram computer, its "wow web performance is continuously getting better!"

a lot of this is third-party code (ads, trackers, embeds)

ad code is an enormous gently caress

i'm not even talking about how they're spying on everything you do, i mean it's all terrible broken code that hasn't been touched since steve the intern wrote it 20 years ago because it ~just works~ and will never be touched again until a browser update patches a security hole the code was reliant on, then it's hacked at until it starts working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

every month i get sent a 150px jpg of a black square from a vp of BlastedUpYourAd with the text "site broke pls fix"

well, your script is trying to hijack the page, and it failed because your code is broken. my advice is don't do that.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

power botton posted:

if you serve from the same domain and just insert your ad video in the middle of the streaming playlist is it even possible to block ads?

Seems like they could force us to watch ads if they wanted to

there's the catch

maybe google could do it differently because they're google but generally it's not determined where ads are coming from until after the page has loaded and your demographic info has been judged by algorithms

and as a publisher "just put this script tag on your page" is a lot simpler than "integrate this wobbly tower of ever-changing third-party ad code into your backend"

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

the worst punishment you could give an incel would be a girlfriend. an actual live person with their own thoughts and needs. it'd be hell for em.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

incels incel cuz they open their mouths and then women run away for excellent reasons, not because they look like poo poo. altho they often look like poo poo

often it doesn't even take a word

incels mistake this as "females have already decided i'm a loser before even talking to me, it's not fair" but it's more like sensing danger.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

personally i will select whichever of white or yellow emoji that hasn't already been reacted, to make the button bigger in slack

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

if computer touchers are engineers why don't people go to jail for data breaches

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

I got a tdap booster like a month ago and it made my arm hurt for longer/worse than Pfizer did

few days ago and same

i'm not surprised cult of technology posters are anti-vaxx, them and facebook boomers are the only ones who could unironically believe in 5G brain control.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fritz posted:

bradknowles 4 minutes ago [–]

Counter evidence: https://youtu.be/cuZYROM4Vrs
In fact, much of the JerryRigEverything YouTube channel is counter evidence for this claim, as Zack shows taking two electric bikes and welding them together for a seriously good and relatively inexpensive first pass at an “off road wheelchair”, and then ups the ante with his custom-designed “notawheelchair” a.k.a. “Rig”, and plenty of other videos with his lovely now-wife Cambry.
Now, if someone is dependent on staying in their electric wheelchair and they need a van with a lift or a ramp, then the current fleet of EVs aren’t very suitable for that. But I’m sure that situation will change. But claiming that there is absolutely no future in electric vehicles for disabled people is quite … disingenuous … at best.

we don't need the ADA. i've seen it in happy wheels.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

literally to the point where the narrative is that so-called "color blindness" is not desirable

so close...