Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hn thread:

Qwertycoatl posted:

If this were a tech problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

a yibba dibba dibba dibba yibba dibba dum

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my partner is wrapping up a degree remotely and the local library is able to proctor his exams, including receiving the exam from the university and then scanning and emailing back the result, for free

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lancemantis posted:

yeah I feel like those movements have that same tea party astroturf element to them

remember terri schiavo? where a bunch of people showed up and marched for a potato?

this particular style of astroturfing goes back a lot further than tea partiers

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fine, whatever, just as long as it isn't avro

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

OSI are unwilling to move beyond their 90s view of software so it's better to just ignore them. also there are hilariously bad licenses that are "OSI approved" so it's pretty meaningless at this point

i've been personally licensing hobby projects with the hippocratic license and if someone wants something thats easier to exploit then they can pay me for my time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

we were on a plan like that and after i did the math over 9 months of usage it ended up costing $10-50 more per month than if we had just used a regular flat rate plan over the same interval

i think the main reason is that they tacked on another few cents of margin for themselves onto the market kwh rate so you really had to only be taking showers at 2am or whatever to come out ahead. maybe it'd be easier to cone out ahead if the margin was fixed per-day or something

lol i just checked the spot price and its 44cNZ/kwh at 10am on a mild summer day, meanwhile our fixed rate is around 28cNZ/kwh iirc but with some discounts on top of that

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

wasn’t sure if you saw this before but i signed up to whoever the gently caress this was at about the start of the most expensive month for power a few years ago

this was a week

that looks like flick, we were on flick and moved to electric kiwi, noticeably cheaper now despite flick being theoretically "market rate"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i still like them more than OSI

but wouldn't give either of them money

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

leper khan posted:

How do we revolt and switch back to plaintext web?

I feel like maybe we could try to use accessibility legislation to outlaw the graphical web. But it's not clear to me that would completely obliterate js even though it should.

here you go

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

whilst posting at work i

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i wouldn't point fingers given that e.g. the south in the US has been under single party rule for 150 years

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

LastInLine posted:

if the party changed its not one party rule just on its face.

:wrong:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

and of course missing the whole point about how conformist the south is

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

spacex is doing relatively okay because musk has zero involvement

just don't go near anything that he's bazinga'ed up and it'll be fine

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hn thread: concentrated slashdot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mystes posted:

I think slashdot was a bit different because during its peak people weren't getting figgies and optimistic about even bigger figgies so they were more about open source and hating their job and less about passive income rent seeking and cryptocurrency grifts.

yeah i was mostly thinking of its long community decline over a few years where the sane or interesting people were quietly but steadily falling off, leaving behind a bunch of loud libertarians with the effect accelerating and feeding on itself over time until there wasn't anything left

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hmm, unnamed source country left in the 90s, and angry about people of lower social status while simultaneously very defensive about their own status

gonna guess they left south africa at the end of apartheid

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use emacs but thats only after years of tweaking it to fix all the stupid defaults

emacs is like the definition of what happens to software that has enough of an audience to end up being steered entirely by never breaking people's muscle memory

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

it's pretty unlikely that somebody is actually doing work while driving

i've had PMs joining meetings from their car before lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

or conversely

HN: racism is bullshit since people can just learn a new race

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fritz posted:

the hackers are talking about that wordle thing and why it isn't monetized and full of ads

deltree7 15 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Money is a natural concept that roughly describes how much value you created.
Eschewing money on the outset seems taking the high-road, but from a value creation and compounding perspective, it is pretty dumb.
If you create value, you better capture the value that you have created, so that you can compound it and give back the goodness 10000x.
Gates / Buffett can deploy Billions to large-scale charity because they captured value.
Elon Musk can deploy his Billions to revolutionize exploration.
If you think Josh is good with no-money, imagine how much good he can do with $10,000,000,000 money.
Paradoxically, Nice people should build wealth. Else, someone else will build wealth and they will deploy it in a not-nice way

something tells me that they took a dim view of this argument at the poster's child prostitution sentencing hearing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but you see last year's mac was a defective piece of poo poo that only complete morons would buy while this year's mac is perfect in every way

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

eschaton posted:

DEC had this on minis that could be in different orientations in the early 1980s

you could run a BA23 QBus enclosure (MicroPDP, MicroVAX) in either horizontal or vertical orientation, so the model badge could be popped out, rotated, and popped back in during setup, just like the foot could be attached or removed

they should have taken inspiration from the PS2 and just let you twist the badge in-place

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its particularly egregious in go where the people afraid of generics are the same ones splashing interface{} (aka void pointer) casts everywhere and acting like that's better

i guess its the next generation of C weenie mindset now that i think about it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i order online from the restaurant website and then pick it up when the website says or when they call me to tell me its ready

ordering online makes it way harder to get the order wrong

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

deftnerd 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

This seems disingenuous to me, but my personal experience with Coinbase colors my opinion.
I had my Coinbase accounts canceled more than 5 years ago. Despite my merchant account with them processing over 1MM USD a year in BTC, they refused to tell me why they terminated my merchant and personal account.
At the time, I was buying physical giftcards in bulk from official wholesale distributors for 90c on the dollar, scanning and OCR'ing the redemption codes, and was selling those for the BTC equivalent of $1.05 on the dollar.
At the time, some of those merchants had their own plans for digital giftcard distribution and said they didn't want to be associated with cryptocurrencies. I ignored their pressure because I was staying true to the law in regards to various resale doctrines.
I suspect some of the larger merchants pressured their financial partners to represent them and put pressure on Coinbase.
I didn't mind writing my own bespoke payment processing system to replace them, but the loss of an easy USD <-> BTC gateway did make life quite a bit harder. Since my move to NY, it's been even more difficult because there are few companies that are allowed to operate here.

ah, so they were caught for money laundering, got it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sociology as an "industry" doesn't really exist, there's like 10 positions annually in the US for sociologists

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

i've been wondering that. i've been getting spammed with recruiter requests for a startup in which the pitch describes the CEO as a "serial entrepreneur." is that supposed to be a selling point?

they already scammed all their friends in prior endeavors and have resorted to emailing randos

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i remember liking wesnoth a decade or so ago, no idea if they were actually ripping off something else but the mechanic was new to me

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Xarn posted:

Found the bitcoiner. I can't imagine getting that power bill otherwise. I also love that after almost 5 years and finding a local GF, he still doesn't speak the language.

to be fair estonian/finnish are pretty hard to learn, tho yeah should've at least been able to get through a retail transaction by now

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that looks like they're assuming you wouldn't be ground into dust after a year of working an hourly warehouse job for 40 hours a week continuously

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I wonder where they hid their time machine from 20 years ago

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

more like terra incognito

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they sure are posting a lot about facts u dislike

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hn_neverguess 5 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Update on Hiring Plans

Great, that's n = 1.
For comparison, I would have never ever reached out to you again. And if I met you in the hallway at some other place, I would have made sure that everyone knows how I feel about you.
Most people who worked at one FAANG also eventually work at one more during their careers. So if you screw over one FAANG, you'll have a hard time at 40% of FAANG.
It doesn't stop there. God forbid you live in the Bay Area, and you and I perhaps cross paths at a party, Burning Man, or any other event. And for crying out loud, you better not be connected to me on Linkedin, because people will be reaching out for backchannel references for the rest of your career.
The tricky thing about all this is that you'll never know. People will just magically stop responding, when you felt that things were going great. In my career of 20 years, I've probably been professionally disappointed in something like 4 or 5 people, and I can definitely think of 2 who have resurfaced in my life one way or another.
Tech is a huge space when you're starting out. But as your career accelerates and you end up gaining more visibility, that same space becomes very small very quickly. I would not mess with my reputation, as a matter of principle, but also as a matter of prudence.

---8<---
in response to:

dudul 6 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Update on Hiring Plans

I've declined an accepted offer 1 week before my start date. 6 months later the company reached out again to see if we could make it work this time.
"Burning bridges" are very exaggerated.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

waaah the end users aren't letting me run malicious code on their computers

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

who doesn't love a good pitch

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

main is better than trunk because it's fewer characters for me to type

a single letter as the default branch name would be best, no i don't care what letter it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that magical hn world where companies voluntarily price against a fixed margin relative to costs rather than for whatever they can get