Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

uncurable mlady posted:

you should probably just read the summaries on http://n-gate.com/ each week

that writer's tone of angry exasperation is a treasure. HN commenters are all 20 and working on blockchain or adtech

Making the Tokio scheduler 10x faster (tokio.rs)
One guy takes a few of the techniques used in Go's scheduler and applies it to Tokio, Rust's defacto multithreaded runtime, and there was much rejoicing.
OSS is really dependent on individual contributions and best first tries.

Some lorax comes out of the forest and starts talking about some apple thing

Getting downvoted for asking a serious question tells me all I needed to know. :smuggo:

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
hey look everyone there's a parenting thread on HN
https://medium.com/modern-parent/my-daughter-was-a-creative-genius-then-we-bought-her-an-iphone-bf617c0b6ca0
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25137202

I suppose the n-gate entry would be something about comment stream coming from smirking SF based gay couples (median income $400k) about how they've misconfigured the content blocking on their jailbroken router. Or how the daughter described in the article would be better off served with a Roblox or Minecraft subscription as a creative outlet. Also why don't kids hack on computers anymore, when I was a boy all I had was Borland Turbo Pascal not like kids today with their Tiktok Vtuber blogcasting on fleek on main in realtime.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

sure I like visiting hn. I also like finding broken bottles on the street and shoving them in my face

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Oh hey RMS is back let's go see what HN's best and brightest have to say

Second job out of college was at a company where employee #2 drank like a fish and would slam co-workers at the drop of a hat. I bring it up to the boss/owner and get
"Well he's done a lot of good work for this company and you've only been here a few months."

N-gate guy is probably accurate that they all work in click analytics, blockchain, "AI", or adtech or some other destined-to-die VC funded hogwash that still pays off for the money men.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 25, 2021