Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Prop Wash posted:

It's insane that they just added a whole new game mode for free, and also FINISH EXERCISE

2019 GOTY, sorry disco elysium

I missed the announcement so this was a huge surprise when I booted up the game earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Can anybody tell what the female Ring voice is saying during the Side Step? It's driving me crazy.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Finally the cross over we needed.

https://gfycat.com/animatedhomelyacaciarat-ring-fit-adventure-dark-souls-exercise

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

thexerox123 posted:

Can anybody tell what the female Ring voice is saying during the Side Step? It's driving me crazy.

I dunno about the fem one, but the masc one says "Uno! Dos! Uno! Dos!" as you step.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I Said No posted:

I dunno about the fem one, but the masc one says "Uno! Dos! Uno! Dos!" as you step.

Oh yeah, that's it, she just says it a bit weirdly. Thanks!

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Playing with female Ring in French results in Ring shouting out "One, Two" in English for those exercises. It's kind of adorable.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t think so. Which moves are you having trouble with?

I struggle with overhead hip shake - it'll register about a half to two thirds of the shakes that I do, and my girlfriend struggles with squats - it looks like her form is fine but she never gets greats. My only thought is that it expects her to go lower, which she can't really do.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Oyster posted:

I struggle with overhead hip shake - it'll register about a half to two thirds of the shakes that I do, and my girlfriend struggles with squats - it looks like her form is fine but she never gets greats. My only thought is that it expects her to go lower, which she can't really do.

Maybe faster on the squats? That was my wife's problem.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, my experience with squats is that it judges you based on both how low you get, and how quickly you get that low. You need the avatar's hair to be all Super Saiyan for about 2/3 of the "Hold!" animation for it to count as Great. You can try moving the leg joy-con if you're having problems getting it to register low squats.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Make sure you're moving the ring con downward while you're squatting, whenever it won't register a squat for me it's because I'm moving my shoulders while squatting which keeps my arms high

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I got this for Christmas and over the last week I've really gotten into it! At first the game seemed fine, but I expected it to ultimately collect dust and it did for a few months. As I've played more the game has steadily added features and its becoming clear the adventure mode is way more in depth than I thought going in. I've always hated cardio but somehow this game actually has me declining the "do you want to call it a day?" notifications because I feel I got a couple more levels in me and by god I want to keep going. It completely kicked my rear end a few days ago and I'm already thinking of kicking the difficulty up again.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I previously complained that there was no way to go for a run in custom mode, so I love that they added it. Unfortunately all the courses are super short - but whatever, it's a nice way to start/end a set.

On that note I find custom sets much better in terms of actually getting exercise because there's no faffing around with smoothies or cheating by doing a super easy yoga pose or whatever. Anyway it's really solid as an addition to a home exercise routine and I love Nintendo's weird peripherals.

Now let me use the leg strap and an extra joycon to jog around Hyrule in BOTW.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rabelais D posted:

Now let me use the leg strap and an extra joycon to jog around Hyrule in BOTW.

Running from Guardians would make it fun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A ring artefact instead of the leaf, and have an area built for sailing with air blasts.

Or, just Wind Waker.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Is there ever a point where you can upgrade old moves for higher damage? Squat would probably still be a good thing to mix in, but it's starting to fall behind the curve from a make-numbers-more-bigger standpoint.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr_Gee posted:

Is there ever a point where you can upgrade old moves for higher damage? Squat would probably still be a good thing to mix in, but it's starting to fall behind the curve from a make-numbers-more-bigger standpoint.

Yep, past a point you'll start getting Level 2 abilities that are the same thing but do more damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m at a point that my best 5-Target Leg move is Overhead Squat lv 2, which is incredibly weak compared to my other moves, because my other option is Mountain Climbers Lv 2...

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Oyster posted:

It might be a leg strap positioning issue, I find the natural position for the strap for me wants to roll to the outside of my thigh but that breaks a lot of the tracking for things. Making sure it's in from and not too low might help. Also for hip shakes I do figure 8s with my hips and that usually keeps track pretty well. Can't do them fast enough for the rushes though.

pzy posted:

Make sure you're moving the ring con downward while you're squatting, whenever it won't register a squat for me it's because I'm moving my shoulders while squatting which keeps my arms high

I'm not sure how accurate this is because at least in battles, once the initial position is calibrated you can put the ring con down and it will still track squats just fine (I have a shoulder injury that acts up holding the ring in front so I put it down and do normal squats). What might be happening is the shoulder movement itself is affecting your squat form and hip angle to mess with the tracking.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m at a point that my best 5-Target Leg move is Overhead Squat lv 2, which is incredibly weak compared to my other moves, because my other option is Mountain Climbers Lv 2...

Good news! Those are the only 5-target leg moves

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

one of the el dorago levels made me do like 200 squats :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gnossiennes posted:

This seems unhealthy

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DoubleDonut posted:

Good news! Those are the only 5-target leg moves

I know. I’m waiting for Overhead Squat lv 3!

I had to do Mountain Climbers for the mandatory gym in world 16 tonight. It was... not good.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think Mountain Climbers show up in like four fitness gyms and they're always awful

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have no problem with planks or mountain climbers but all squat variants are death to me. With how low they ask you to go (and I have tried moving the band around every which way) and how long they ask you to hold it, I have just decided to bottom out and go full Slavic/Chinese squat because it's easier

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

There's another one that wants you to hold Chair Pose for like 90 seconds. I had to use an actual chair.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Mountain climbers rule.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This seems unhealthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf79SYG6mew

EDIT: There's a stunning amount of non-ironic results following the clip in the youtube search result :wtc:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 8, 2020

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Mordiceius posted:

Mountain climbers rule.

you dang right.

also the new jogging levels are great for my 4yo who doesn't understand the exercises. rhythm game pisses him off big time tho :arghfist:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Zurai posted:

There's another one that wants you to hold Chair Pose for like 90 seconds. I had to use an actual chair.

that's alright, it's just a stool-assisted speedrun

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You know what else kills me? The Overhead Knee Lift Rushes. I got them twice in the same Battle Gym and I thought my heart was going to explode.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I equipped Mountain Climbers as an attack and it wasn’t that bad tbh it’s just those fitness gyms make you do the max amount like you were on max difficulty, which is awful. But on difficult level 20 they are tolerable. Anyway it elevated my Leg game so that’s a huge plus.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

My problem with Mountain Climbers is that I tend to jam my ankles shoving them back behind/underneath me like that blind.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I just don't have enough space in my room to do most of the "sit on the floor" type exercises :sigh:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Loft your bed and play underneath that. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/free-loft-bed-plans-1357129

E: I like #13 the best

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 9, 2020

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I equipped Mountain Climbers as an attack and it wasn’t that bad tbh it’s just those fitness gyms make you do the max amount like you were on max difficulty, which is awful. But on difficult level 20 they are tolerable. Anyway it elevated my Leg game so that’s a huge plus.

I'm always on max difficulty :negative:

(also I absolutely cannot get the game to consistently recognize them, even when I'm pretty sure I'm doing them right. I still haven't gotten an S Rank on any fitness gym that has them)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have just enough floor space to put down a yoga mat which is enough clearance for most things but obstructions make things like the pendulum swinging one difficult

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My fun challenge is that the ceiling in my basement isn’t high enough to do standing arm twists. Tilting the ring to the side doesn’t work. I could just sit down, but it feels like it wants me to work on my standing posture too.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

My fun challenge is that the ceiling in my basement isn’t high enough to do standing arm twists. Tilting the ring to the side doesn’t work. I could just sit down, but it feels like it wants me to work on my standing posture too.

What about kneeling? Close enough

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Knees is the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Anyone that has a Garmin activity tracking watch: If i dont care about the tracking, is there any calorie difference for using the cardio setting on my watch vs not and just letting it count my calories by HR? Not sure which is best when I play.