Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
My friend should be getting the leg strap to me Monday so I can start then. My switch code is 4863-9131-5810, and I'll add the folks in the OP.

From what she's said so far the game does an initial test to get your starting difficulty, and then it asks you how you're doing as you go through, so you can raise and lower it depending on how you're feeling. I'll see what number the ring assigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Am I squatting wrong? I'm on world 16 difficulty 20 and while the jogging, battles, and most special means of conveyance are trivially easy, when I get the cart powered by squats I can barely get through. I can keep a good momentum on the other carts but the squat cart always comes to a full stop before I can squat again. Seems like I'd have to squat twice per second to get up the hills without stopping.

This whole game is completely infatuated with squats and seems to think they're the easiest thing in the goddamn world. It ruins entire levels for me.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Squats are very good for you though, as my solid thighs can now attest. It's like the main physical change I've noticed. Always hard however

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

As long as you don't start rolling backwards (yes that can happen on the carts when you're going uphill, yes it sucks), you're fine.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Always remember squats should be felt on your heels, not the ball of your feet

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
squats hurt my knees but running on the spot is fine. I did ring fit 2 days in a row last week, and stuff like chair pose, and the victory pose are fine for me. I tried squats during 2 fights, just to 'check if squats hurt my knees still' and I'm still in pain four days later, and I probably will be for a few more days.

So, how is my future with ring fit if I can't do squats? I should get an elliptical soon but I don't want to abandon ring fit, entirely.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 12, 2020

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

redreader posted:

squats hurt my knees but running on the spot is fine. I did ring fit 2 days in a row yesterday and stuff like chair pose, and the victory pose are fine for me. I tried squats during 2 fights, just to 'check if squats hurt my knees still' and I'm still in pain four days later, and I probably will be for a few more days.

So, how is my future with ring fit if I can't do squats? I should get an elliptical soon but I don't want to abandon ring fit, entirely.

If squats hurt your knees you're doing them wrong. When you squat try raising the front of your feet so that only your heels are touching the ground. Squats are meant to activate your glutes, not your quads

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Riatsala posted:

This whole game is completely infatuated with squats and seems to think they're the easiest thing in the goddamn world. It ruins entire levels for me.

They’re not easy but they are the single best exercise there is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Squat like you’re sitting back into a chair. Your knees should never, ever go past your toes. Your thighs should be pretty much parallel to the ground with your back mostly straight and your arms forward. You can use the Ring Con as a counterbalance by holding it a little bit more forward than normal. If you are having a hard time getting low try adjusting the leg strap. Don’t ask me which way though because :shrug:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not new to exercise. I messed up my knee last year (felt funny for years, but only became painful last year) when doing some squats in a gym. Whenever it flares up I have to tone it down for a week or two. The most recent time I hurt it before this, I was doing stair climbing outside, just walking up stairs. A physical therapist said not to do stairs and to do some IT band work, and a surgeon prescribed an MRI that I decided not to get because I was doing some other surgery first. I regret that because then I'd know exactly what was wrong.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You should be able to use the accessibility options to do exploration events that require squats with a pushbutton, and you can replace the squats on your exercise list with something else.

AFAIK the game is actually really good about accessibility in letting you deal with these kinds of things!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
That's amazing, thanks. I'll take a look when I use it next.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Double post, but some time has passed: Anyway I want to thank Calaveron because even though I got a swole personal trainer who lifts weights and complained about my knees to him, he never mentioned 'glutes not quads' to me. I'm making a point of using my glutes more, which I absolutely do not do, when I stand up from the couch. Feeling a lot better since yesterday when I used some ice and ibuprofen, so I can probably restart ring fit tomorrow! Thanks again Calaveron.

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
I have begun my adventure! Game started me off as a 12, and I beat the first world. Didn't have much trouble until the Dragaux fight. No issues with the ab blocks but I swear he suckerpunched with second attacks a couple times. Didn't think I'd beat him but it felt like he started taking a lot more damage when his health was super low. Does the game give pity bonuses? Sweaty as hell but looking forward to tomorrow!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Started the game late last week, halfway through world 4 now. I just unlocked planks. This is how I die, isn't it?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Planks are merely a precursor to the true death of Mountain Climbers

In all seriousness they do get easier. I hate them but I try to keep them on my skill list because I know they're good for me

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Planks aren’t as bad as pendulum bends imo

Unless I’m doing pendulum bends wrong or something. I probably should bend my elbows more so I’m not trying to stick my arms out straight which is sort of impossible.

Edit: honorable mention to overhead forward bends and knees to chest.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

These are my tips for those moves:

Planks: Make sure when you start you are as far forward as you can go in the pose and make sure your legs are as straight as possible and that you have decent surfaces where you make contact with the ground.
Otherwise I feel like the rest is just strength tbh.

Mountain Climbers:
Pretty much start in a pushup pose imo, legs as straight as possible again. When moving the left leg you want to try to have the joycon rotate as close to 180 degrees as possible. When you have made one "move" wait until you hear the sound effect before moving again, as going too fast ime seems to gently caress up the registration of the move. When moving again focus on getting your leg as straight as possible. Then wait for the sound effect.

Now if I could only do boat pose but that seems to just be down to a lack of strength.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Tree Pose has gone from "no loving way" to one of my favorite moves

Mountain Climbers still suck, though.

I've gone from creating custom move lists to rotating through some of the preset muscle group move lists, and I think that's bringing the combat up to a more satisfying difficulty while keeping the rest manageable.

Is there a point at which you can no longer open the air blast doors with a single blast? I'm squeezing the ring so hard and so quickly that my knuckles are hitting but I can't produce a yellow blast anymore. Difficulty level 22.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When I was a teenager and did yoga I could keep my foot on my thigh for Tree all day. I was also ridiculously flexible, that probably helped.

Now I can barely balance with my foot on the side of my calf... too bad all the flexibility exercises are healing ones. I might need to play in custom mode some to get in a good stretch.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I thought I was good at squats but reading this thread has me wondering if I'm doing them wrong my whole life. I always feel it in my thighs, not my butt

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The key is your knees should not extend further forward than your toes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

I thought I was good at squats but reading this thread has me wondering if I'm doing them wrong my whole life. I always feel it in my thighs, not my butt

You should feel it in your glutes, quads and hamstrings. All of them.

My wife was doing a Nike Fit workout where they gave a tip that I think helps with squats: you’re always using your glutes when you go into the squat, focus on squeezing your butt when you come out of the squat, too, all the way to the top, almost like you’re going to do a pelvic thrust. Helps prevent you from using your lower back to get out of the squat and forces you to work your legs and butt the whole time.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
After complaining that I'm on the second last world and have never managed mountain climbers properly...I am now in the last world and it finally clicks. Who ever said above about waiting to hear the sound before moving your leg again was right, I was always way too fast.

Also I definitely dont do it quite right as I bring my knee up really high, past my arm. It's easier poking them on the outside of each arm but I imagine going inside closer to the chest is the intended method. Whatever, I finally enjoy this move now, hurrah

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah you’re supposed to pull your knee underneath your chest, kind of close to your elbow and probably not much further. It can be a real ball-buster though. And I imagine they’re tough for women, too, because they’d just be kneeing themselves in the boobs.

The rhythm is definitely key, though. A lot of the exercises are rhythmic which I think makes them more fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tender Bender posted:

Squeeze your butt when you do squats.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
A lot of people are quad dominant doing squats that's not necessarily a bad thing

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'd go as far as saying body-weight squats are quad-dominant when you're starting out. It can take some conscious effort to get the glutes in there (really focus on them, you'll notice a big difference). If you try an actual glutes-focused body-weight exercise you'll notice it's night and day to squats. By the end of the day they are a compound movement.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Finally beat this today. Last boss is loooooong as hell. Good time though. Will absolutely be carrying on into the new game+ type thing.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I've been doing squats while engaging my glutes for the past week and it's made a big difference. Can't bang them out as fast as ring fit wants, but I've got a lot more stamina for it and my thighs are thanking me (kinda butt-sore thought)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I feel like the game could refine how it registers leg-only exercises but this felt good nonetheless

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Just got Nintendo online. Still very early but feel free to add my friend code and to the OP. SW-4247-8198-3991

E: I’ve added those in the OP as well.

Banzai 3 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 26, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Does Joycon drift affect this thing, or is it strictly motion control/accelerometer stuff?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s motion controls mainly but you can use the stick to navigate menus and stuff sometimes and I was having drift affect my gameplay to the point that I had to use different joy cons.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Every time I take a break from ring fit adventure, even a few days, it's like starting over all over again and I struggle.
Are you guys playing this daily?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Mister Facetious posted:

Does Joycon drift affect this thing, or is it strictly motion control/accelerometer stuff?

My left joycon has got some mad drift and it hasn't affected my gameplay in the least.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arrrthritis posted:

My left joycon has got some mad drift and it hasn't affected my gameplay in the least.

Nice, I've been using a Pro for everything else so that'll work.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Victorian Gentleman posted:

Every time I take a break from ring fit adventure, even a few days, it's like starting over all over again and I struggle.
Are you guys playing this daily?

I do 2-3 times a week for like 30 minutes movement time. If you're just starting I think it'll just take a few weeks before you really start to feel different.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I tend to alternate between doing one level every day (at max difficulty this is usually 12-15 min. logged) or doing two levels with a break in between days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I play like 30 minutes daily and have done so over a period of what the game claims is 70 days and am pretty much in the home stretch at this point