Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think just about everyone has a story about running across the paranormal, even if you don't actually believe in the paranormal and think it was just your mind playing tricks on you. Share them here, in honor of the current spooky season! Ghosts, UFOs, or any other inexplicable phenomena you've run across, I want to hear it.

I've had a few "ghostly" encounters over the course of my life--scare quotes because none of them were strong enough for me to say that they were ghosts or even to cause me to believe in ghosts, just weird enough that I'm open to the possibility.

The first is both the strongest and also the one I'm most likely to write off as purely a figment of my imagination. I was about 10, getting ready to leave for my mom to drop me off at school. I look back in my room to see if I forgot something, when suddenly I see a girl, maybe in her teens, crouched in somewhat of a fetal position with her back to me in the dead center of my room. I can still remember her clearly, long black hair down her back, pale skin, black shirt with purple polka dots, dark purple skirt, black leggings. I look around to see if my mom or sister are close enough to see her too, they aren't, I look back and she's gone. I wasn't scared or anything, I was huge into the paranormal as a kid so it was mostly a sense of "holy crap, I finally saw a ghost :holy:" but a year or two earlier I was also convinced that I saw a hairy alien watching me from my doorway one night so I probably just had an imagination so overactive that it caused me to see things.

I would always hear or see someone who wasn't really there at my grandparents' house in Houston. It was always either right when I'm starting to wake up or right when I'm falling asleep so ordinarily I'd just write it off as hypnagogic hallucinations, but there's a few things that give me pause: it only ever happens at my grandparents' house, I never have hypnagogic hallucinations anywhere else. It always involves a woman, either hearing a woman's voice calling from a distance (usually repeating the same word that I can never quite make out over and over again) or seeing a woman walk past my bed only to disappear when she reaches the end of it or when I try to look up at her face. And at one point it woke me up out of a sound sleep--a woman's voice calling my name in a harsh whisper woke me up, and I, thinking my sister was being annoying, angrily whispered back "what???" only to not get a response. Still thinking my sister's just being obnoxious, I storm out of bed and look around--no one's there. It's an old creaky house and my sister's a loud clumsy oaf, no one and especially not her could have taken off fast enough to disappear like that without making a ton of noise.

Short one: I would always feel like someone was watching me when I was home alone at the house I lived in during high school. Didn't really think too much of it, assumed my mind was playing tricks on me, but once when I was home alone except for the family dog Sasha I heard a door slam on the other side of the house. Not a little slam like a draft or whatever, like someone was super pissed off and deliberately slammed it as hard as they could. Both me and the dog jumped but neither of us found anything when we investigated, so now I wonder if the feeling of being watched was just a feeling after all :ghost:

Lastly, that same family dog had to be put down a few months ago. Very difficult for our family, but between her death and my mom rescuing a new dog, occasionally when I walked down the hallway to my bedroom I could very intensely feel Sasha's presence behind me. It's very difficult to explain, it's like I could feel through my whole body down to my bones that she was walking directly behind me like she always used to, like if I turned around she'd be right there like nothing had ever happened to her. I never did look back though because I somehow knew that if I did I wouldn't see anything and the feeling would stop, and I wanted to just enjoy her presence, or at least the feeling of it, for as long as possible. It only ever happened in that one hallway and would dissipate if I stopped walking or when I made it into the bedroom itself. It stopped for good when we got the new dog--in my more spiritual, less rational moments I like to think that she trusted this new dog to watch over us and moved on.

That turned out longer than I expected, please share your own now, even if you don't consider yourself a believer in the paranormal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Had to dig this up from the 2012 Ghost Story thread, but it actually did happen to me:

I grew up in Canada, and when I was young (before 11 or so) my family would take vacations in PEI. One summer, when I was probably 9 or 10 my parents and I were at my dad's mother's cottage in PEI and we stayed up late one night to watch a lunar eclipse. We sat on the front porch and watched it progress, and it was a first for me and really more fascinating than anything.

Eventually I got tired and went to bed. The cottage had 3 bedrooms, and mine was on the very end and had a window on the side of the building, near the front. The head of my bed was against the back wall, so when I slept my feet were closer to the window.

I woke up in the middle of the night sleeping the wrong way. I have no idea how I got that way, but my head was at the foot of the bed. I woke up looking directly out that window, with a bright, glaring full moon shining fiercely back at me. It scared me a bit, I had a sinking feeling of dread.

I went back to sleep in the right position. I woke up later, in the morning to the sound of the phone ringing. My parents were up and about in the kitchen, and my grandmother answered the phone in her bedroom. After hanging up, she called out to my parents and told them that my dad's grandmother had died during the night.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I work at a college, and my office is in the art building, which also has a theater. Allegedly we are haunted by a former theater director who died in the building. The theater doors sometimes open forcefully when no one is near them. I regularly hear squeaky footsteps as if on wood, but all of our floors are either carpeted or linoleum. Students and staff frequently complain that someone is up on the catwalk, but we can never find anyone.

Apparently she also dances on the stage at night, but she only shows herself to older men. We've had quite a few male custodians ask to be transferred to other buildings.

Sorry, probably not a very interesting ghost story, but it's all I got!

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
I saw what looked like a big chicken covered in a black plastic bag walking by the side of the road. Spooky stuff.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I was nine years old.
It was Christmas morning, and I was excited.
I didn't want to wake my parents, but I wanted to see what Santa gave me.
I marvelled at the presents left under the tree.
Sitting on the couch was my grandmother.
She died earlier that year.
I watched her as she silently sat, and then she slowly faded away.
Her legs disappeared, then her arms, and then her torso and her head.
Before long, she was gone.
I was not frightened, because I know she loves me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Every October my mom used to tell me and my sister to change the batteries in our smoke detectors. Every single year since we moved out. Neither of us have any idea where she got this idea that you need to change them every year like they don't warn you by beeping in a way that is actually impossible to ignore when they get low. In fact I just googled it and apparently they last 8 to 10 years. My sister now and has for a few years lived in our old home which she was in the process of buying from our mother, who lived nearby on her own in an apartment.

My mom passed this year on August 31. Over a two week period her mind left her and it turned out she had a lot of cancer.

Between Thanksgiving (we're Canadian) and Halloween, each of the smoke detectors in my sister's house indicated that they were in need of a new battery.