Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

That wasn't the only factor. I cheated and read your second spoiler since you made the seed sound so dire but this was such an awful seed that even a single rule clarification and a single major item location weren't enough to save it. For me the lynchpin item that might have been skippable if I'd been using tricks was the last Forest Temple key, locked behind the final frog song. Although Water Temple also had a wallet. But then there were so many missing one-off checks it seemed like Darunia and Skull Kid alone must have had items, particularly with the former being at a Way of the Hero location where I couldn't remember whether I'd already gotten some random load-bearing key there.

OoT Randomizer is not as kind to Keysanity in general as LttP I think, just because the game's more tedious to begin with and Keysanity only makes it worse. Heaven help you if you're not sure how many keys you need or have for a certain location and it turns out to be super linear. On the flip side Entrance Randomizer is great for OoT while being unplayable for LttP because it's a low enough number of locations you can actually keep track of them. And most of the dungeons are close enough to the warp points you're only losing seconds if you forget which dungeon is what or have forgotten this is even Entrance Randomizer at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Some Guy TT posted:

That wasn't the only factor. I cheated and read your second spoiler since you made the seed sound so dire but this was such an awful seed that even a single rule clarification and a single major item location weren't enough to save it. For me the lynchpin item that might have been skippable if I'd been using tricks was the last Forest Temple key, locked behind the final frog song. Although Water Temple also had a wallet. But then there were so many missing one-off checks it seemed like Darunia and Skull Kid alone must have had items, particularly with the former being at a Way of the Hero location where I couldn't remember whether I'd already gotten some random load-bearing key there.

OoT Randomizer is not as kind to Keysanity in general as LttP I think, just because the game's more tedious to begin with and Keysanity only makes it worse. Heaven help you if you're not sure how many keys you need or have for a certain location and it turns out to be super linear. On the flip side Entrance Randomizer is great for OoT while being unplayable for LttP because it's a low enough number of locations you can actually keep track of them. And most of the dungeons are close enough to the warp points you're only losing seconds if you forget which dungeon is what or have forgotten this is even Entrance Randomizer at all.

With the final key for Forest being behind the last frog thank gently caress for the forest temple skip. In case you didn't know, up the stairs on the other side of the entrence you can backwalk into the corner to the right of the door, take out the hookshot and aim just to the right of the doorknob, do a backflip with the hookshot out and cancel it halfway through the flip to landon the other side of the railing but still up on the platform. Walk left from there slowly and you can clip through the platform and from there jump out of bounds straight into the boss fight, requires 0 keys. It's also another one of those tricks you can just try forever because it doesn't hurt at all to fail

Made a video showing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-8HkYP9bM

It's usually not useful since Forest has so many checks but in this case it was and if forest is a foolish choice but has a medallion, hell yeah.

The final frog check is probably the worst one for me. Even with the order of the notes open for reference I fail playing them fast enough half the time. Next seed I'll exclude it completely because gently caress that noise

Edit: Actually, here's a seed with the exact same rules but without the damned frogs that I'm gonna play now

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 10, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Okay so I finally got an everdrive and so now I'm getting into the OOT randomizer for real; playing on emu never felt quite satisfying to me.

I'll have to check out y'alls seeds at some point and play along, but I just generated my own first randomizer setup and started playing through it with my gf. We're having fun, although it is tough starting off.

Question:
The game gave us the Goron's Ruby to start with, even though I didn't set it as a starting item.
We also found a gossip stone that said something like "going into Dodongo's would be pointless"

So... what happened there? I figured that the game calculated we couldn't actually get the goron's ruby so it gave it to us or something? But then why not, not sure why we couldn't just go get it legit...

I had previously generated a test world and it started with the Water Medallion and I'm not sure why there either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay so I finally got an everdrive and so now I'm getting into the OOT randomizer for real; playing on emu never felt quite satisfying to me.

I'll have to check out y'alls seeds at some point and play along, but I just generated my own first randomizer setup and started playing through it with my gf. We're having fun, although it is tough starting off.

Question:
The game gave us the Goron's Ruby to start with, even though I didn't set it as a starting item.
We also found a gossip stone that said something like "going into Dodongo's would be pointless"

So... what happened there? I figured that the game calculated we couldn't actually get the goron's ruby so it gave it to us or something? But then why not, not sure why we couldn't just go get it legit...

I had previously generated a test world and it started with the Water Medallion and I'm not sure why there either.

The starting stone/medallion takes the spot of the light medallion in vanilla, which is just handed to you in a cutscene. I don't know why they don't give it to you the first time you pull the master sword, but you will always start with a dungeon reward no matter what your settings are. All the medallions and stones are shuffled up (check the pedestal in the temple of time to learn which went where).

The hints you get depend on your settings, but with tournament hints (which is what we usually play on in this thread) there's three kinds:

"They say that the Deku Tree is on the way of the hero" means that at least one of the items in Deku (excluding the stone/medallion) is mandatory to complete the game. Sometimes the reason it's mandatory can be a bit confusing (or even outright misleading if it's only needed to collect a key in spirit temple or gerudo training grounds) but usually it's pretty straightforward: the way of the hero locations are places to go

"They say that Deku Tree is a foolish choice" means that none of the items in Deku (again excluding the stone/medallion) is a progression item. Everything in there is an ammo refill, or rupees, or a piece of heart, or something. The one potential caveat is that bombchus can appear in foolish locations which can be very helpful, but that's a pretty low chance.

"They say that killing 30 gold skulltulas gives a blue rupee" is pretty straightforward--the 30 skull reward is a blue rupee. There's a list of extremely annoying locations that always receive hints, and moderately annoying locations which sometimes receive hints.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And which stone/medallion you get is no longer connected to that specific dungeon. So, you got the Goron's Ruby, so clearing Dodongo's Cavern could get you, say, the Zora's Sapphire, or the Forest Medallion.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Also please post your seed. This is the random seed sharing club now we don't have rules anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

The starting stone/medallion takes the spot of the light medallion in vanilla, which is just handed to you in a cutscene. I don't know why they don't give it to you the first time you pull the master sword, but you will always start with a dungeon reward no matter what your settings are. All the medallions and stones are shuffled up (check the pedestal in the temple of time to learn which went where).

Ohh, that makes sense. Jeeze there's so much stuff that's been shuffled, even after getting to grips with some of it I'm still caught off guard by things.

Like, I was just walking up zora's river and instead of heart pieces there's deku sticks just hanging out. I'd be pretty sweet if I could have nabbed a bow or hookshot just out in the open like that!

I've been kinda stuck without saria's song and no bomb bag or bow or slingshot, but I finally got the (10) Bombchu reward from a random chest at the bottom of the well so now I'm blasting open rocks.

Really turns everything on its head and makes you realize how much stuff in OOT you take for granted because of the game's natural progression. But this makes everything way more fun.

PMush Perfect posted:

And which stone/medallion you get is no longer connected to that specific dungeon. So, you got the Goron's Ruby, so clearing Dodongo's Cavern could get you, say, the Zora's Sapphire, or the Forest Medallion.

Ah good to know. I knew items from chests and even NPC rewards were mixed, but didn't know the dungeon results were too. Jeeze this is a lot.

Does scarecrow still have you set a scarecrow song or is there a chance the scarecrow would trigger like Bolero?

I've gotten some really funny random results from NPCs which has had me building up a silly head-canon plot for what's going on in this world.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I've long had a silly idea for a story mode of the randomizer that changes dialog based on what each character has, acting as an extra hint system. Go see Darunia, he has money! I can't imagine how hard it would be to actually implement that from a technical standpoint though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Some Guy TT posted:

I've long had a silly idea for a story mode of the randomizer that changes dialog based on what each character has, acting as an extra hint system. Go see Darunia, he has money! I can't imagine how hard it would be to actually implement that from a technical standpoint though.

given that Ganondorf already has seed-dependent text, it's almost certainly technically possible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been kinda stuck without saria's song and no bomb bag or bow or slingshot

I'm a little curious what you need Saria's song for, it's used for shockingly few things in the entire game. Off the top of my head, it's a requirement for four items (two of which require so much work that they're on the list of locations which are always hinted), plus making Mido move as an adult (which you skip half the time with Minuet). If it's Mido and you're feeling spicy, I can help you learn an easy trick to just backflip over him.

quote:

Does scarecrow still have you set a scarecrow song or is there a chance the scarecrow would trigger like Bolero?

Scarecrow is completely normal. Play a song for him as child, play it for him again as adult, and now the other scarecrow will appear when you play that same song in specific locations.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Oh hey, there's a thread for this! I've been playing through (and streaming) seeds on occasion for a few months now. My times are absolutely awful, though, because I'm still getting a grasp on routing on the fly and being strategic about where logic is pointing me and what I can and cannot do with whatever items I have at the time. I've often triple-dipped dungeons in a seed because of some random item I forgot I needed.

Right now I'm playing through this seed. It's the standard settings, plus a few minor cosmetic changes. https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=585859

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Man with Hat posted:

Edit: Actually, here's a seed with the exact same rules but without the damned frogs that I'm gonna play now

Finished this in about 6 hours so I pretty much ended up doing all the checks, it feels like. It still never felt like a mean seed, though. Ended up being all dungeons because Epona's song was hidden behind OoT and horseback archery 2 was the hammer, so it was fun to actually get something useful out of that, finally!

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 12, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I got 6:20ish myself. I actually correctly predicted Horseback Archery would have something, since I took the gilded chest route on my first Water Temple route and got the Fortress Key. But I wasn't confident enough on that read to just single mindedly go after the Ocarina, not even after that was my last requires item following the deep dive into Fire Temple. My first attempt at Deku Tree did involve the bad timing of not having a Hylian Shield though. Money was way more useful than usual here to the point my routing was taking it into account. I was gonna swipe purple rupees from the frogs but then the very last chest before that I got a gold one and maxed out.

Does Shadow Temple hard require the Lens now? I tried all the combinations for the entrance and flunked it every time.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Some Guy TT posted:

I got 6:20ish myself. I actually correctly predicted Horseback Archery would have something, since I took the gilded chest route on my first Water Temple route and got the Fortress Key. But I wasn't confident enough on that read to just single mindedly go after the Ocarina, not even after that was my last requires item following the deep dive into Fire Temple. My first attempt at Deku Tree did involve the bad timing of not having a Hylian Shield though. Money was way more useful than usual here to the point my routing was taking it into account. I was gonna swipe purple rupees from the frogs but then the very last chest before that I got a gold one and maxed out.

Does Shadow Temple hard require the Lens now? I tried all the combinations for the entrance and flunked it every time.

The problem is that it reshuffles every time you reload the room so if you pick the wrong torch in Shadow and fall through the floor (you can avoid this with a well timed sidehop btw) the correct setting for the spinning puzzle can change and with bad enough luck you'll never get it.

Yeah, I really hoped the key was just there because the GtG entrence led to an important place but nope, turned out to be horse archery. Although all dungeons is a lot less of a pain now that I just cheat my way past half of Jabu which is the worst dungeon in the game imo, so it wasn't that bad

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The real secret is that if you wear the hover boots while pushing that, you have enough time to get to safety before the floor drops out from underneath you. And hey, you'll need hover boots to do shadow temple anyways.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Arzaac posted:

The real secret is that if you wear the hover boots while pushing that, you have enough time to get to safety before the floor drops out from underneath you. And hey, you'll need hover boots to do shadow temple anyways.

You can also do a very very precise sidehop with kokiri boots and a megaflip if you don't feel like running all around the world searching for hover boots. Hover boots are better, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hello I'm rusty as all hell at this game but I would enjoy doing a live race against one of you fine folks over at the Games Ring of Honor, for fabulous or stupid prizes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Congrats on the blue star, cheetah! Is that recent or am I just dumb?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

Congrats on the blue star, cheetah! Is that recent or am I just dumb?

Pretty recent yeah

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, grats! :toot:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Oh hey, there's a thread for this! I've been playing through (and streaming) seeds on occasion for a few months now. My times are absolutely awful, though, because I'm still getting a grasp on routing on the fly and being strategic about where logic is pointing me and what I can and cannot do with whatever items I have at the time. I've often triple-dipped dungeons in a seed because of some random item I forgot I needed.

Right now I'm playing through this seed. It's the standard settings, plus a few minor cosmetic changes. https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=585859

For those who were wondering no, this seed does not require the Big Poes. Every other default setting is sort of tedious but only a key item on the Big Poes renders a default seed unplayable in my opinion. I got six before Navi popped up to remind me there were other more sensible things to check and that there was no possible way I was going to find the other four on my own. I mean yeesh I remember never finishing that subquest as a kid but good grief, I didn't realize it was that bad. I'll never understand why all ten Big Poes required for the Poe Collector prize is a default setting. Seems like a good way to make a beginner swear off Rando forever!

The seed still took awhile from my own mistakes as much as foolishness. I was convinced that the full Gerudo Fortress required Hookshot but nope, I was just confusing two different entrances as the same entrance. The Hookshot in upper Fire Temple was what I was looking for at the time. After the hinted Silver Gauntlets on Shadow Ganon I figured Song of Storms must do something since the logic had already forced me to get both Stones but nope! Total dead end chasing down those checks. Turns out the right way was to take the Weird Egg, to get Sun Song to get the Lens to get Ruto's Letter, and from there the last three medallion dungeons directly led to prizes that could be used to clear the next one in the sequence. The focus on dungeon-centric treasures was pretty nuts, considering that with Maps and Compasses in the pool in theory Dungeons should have been lower value checks than normal.

I got a couple of nice non-spoiler hints that I'd never seen before since I've never played with basic hint settings. Apparently the invisible ghosts in Forest Temple can be made visible by tossing nuts at them? That was neat, even if I was low on nuts. That bit of trivia alone greatly improves the normal tedium of Forest Temple. I was also really stoked by the hint suggesting that Ice Arrows were useful against Bongo Bongo, since poor Ice Arrows never get to do anything useful. Unfortunately as far as I can tell they actually make the fight harder (!?) because Bongo Bongo's ice breaking hand has a much smaller hitbox than the regular one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PrCgbxuI04

Ice arrows make the fight harder and slower.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Some Guy TT posted:

For those who were wondering no, this seed does not require the Big Poes. Every other default setting is sort of tedious but only a key item on the Big Poes renders a default seed unplayable in my opinion. I got six before Navi popped up to remind me there were other more sensible things to check and that there was no possible way I was going to find the other four on my own. I mean yeesh I remember never finishing that subquest as a kid but good grief, I didn't realize it was that bad. I'll never understand why all ten Big Poes required for the Poe Collector prize is a default setting. Seems like a good way to make a beginner swear off Rando forever!

I've been lucky enough to never have anything important on big poes. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, though. I usually do standard settings since at some point I hope to be fast enough for competitions.

And yes, the deku nut strat in Forest Temple is pretty nice. One of those things I never discovered casually because I never used them then.

Also: gently caress 1500-point archery.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you can change how many poes are needed for the item. Most people play with only one poe needed, I think

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So I have a confession to make. I actually kind of like the Final Frog Award! It was miserable the first time but something about it has triggered pattern recognition so it doesn't take me any more than five or six tries anymore. So I made a gimmick seed revolving around it-

(Saw, Bow, Boss Key, Mask of Truth, Compass)
https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=592673

Original goon settings except for the following two. Ganon's Tower is always open, and the Final Frog Award is the Light Arrows. So your required items are just the six child songs, a bow, magic, and access to the frogs. Which amusingly enough makes it possible for the Silver Scale to be your Go Mode item, which can never happen in normal settings. Four songs are freebies, four are connected to other songs, and only the last four connected to dungeons. So this seed could be anything from comically short to about what might be expected from a normal seed.

On a side note it took me more time to make this than it should have. Plandomizer simply won't let me generate a seed that has a fixed number of Ganon trials so I had to use the random settings and peek at the spoiler logs to make sure it was at zero. I used to have this problem generating regular seeds too and I still can't figure out why. Obviously it doesn't affect everyone since this thread was posting seeds during this entire time that did not have any Ganon trials.

edit: agh, got a few other settings wrong. Took out the Skull Mask instead of Mask and Truth and there's no consumables, because the Plandomizer expects you to give yourself starting gear manually.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 17, 2020

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

cheetah7071 posted:

Hello I'm rusty as all hell at this game but I would enjoy doing a live race against one of you fine folks over at the Games Ring of Honor, for fabulous or stupid prizes

I'm catching up on the thread but if you're still up for it and we can find a time that works, I'd be happy to take you on.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Aston posted:

I'm catching up on the thread but if you're still up for it and we can find a time that works, I'd be happy to take you on.

I completed my first race but I'm happy to do another. Hit me up on Discord at Cheetah7071#0554 or PM me here, or if you're feeling extra spicy, post in the ring of honor thread so it gets activity and more people see it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The randomizer is truly pretty amazing. Huge props to the community for building this thing. All the features like having the stones that actually tell you hints about your particular seed, having keys tell you which dungeon they're for, all that couldn't have been easy to hack into the assembly ROM!

In the game my gf and I are playing together we finally got the hookshot from the frogs, and we got bombchus before the bomb bag :allears: using bombchus to blow up all the things you're supposed to use bombs on is wild.

Master Quest felt pretty similar to Ocarina since you did everything in the same general order, but this really does feel like a whole new game. It really makes you appreciate Ocarina in an whole new light.

Dying to find a bow or slingshot but making significant progress.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So I tried to play the frog seed I posted but quickly realized thanks to a hint that Ganon's Tower had a barrier, even though the json file I made said that it didn't. I've been messing around with the plandomizer settings and as far as I can tell it's impossible to make a plando seed that doesn't have all six trials active. I get an Invalid Trial Settings error anytime I try to disable random trials and have less than six. I can enable random trials with any number on the Ganon Trial Count but when I look at the spoiler log for what I've generated all six are always active. I've yet to see one with less than six active and I've generated a large number of seeds to test this. So what exactly is the deal here? Is this a known issue with the plandomizer? Am I just doing some weird thing wrong that isn't being clearly explained?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Agh, I finally figured out the problem. Trials is its own tab in the Plandomizer. I was supposed to go into that tab and turn them off manually. Which is really counterintuitive, because the settings tab still has Random Number of Ganon's Trials as an option, which does nothing when enabled and gives an error message if you have it disabled and the trial number you picked doesn't match the active number of trials. So it isn't possible to do Plandomizer with randomly selected trials. This is odd, although I never use that option anyway, and hopefully it gets fixed in a later version.

Anyway here's my gimmick seed that I'm reasonably sure no one else wants to play so I just tossed all the Goon banned items in there too-

(Deku Stick, Map, Mask of Truth, Magic Container, Deku Stick)
https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=594399

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well that took way longer than it should have but only because I completely forgot that Bombchu Bowling Alley had items. The bombs came up so late and at such a weird time I had long since ceased to think of them as important. The top of way of the hero Fire Temple had magic and Din's Fire, and Shadow Temple was so much more obviously the reasonable place that was being pointed to I mostly overlooked finding the Bombs in the composer's grave. I had forty Bombchus and I remembered a hint saying that Goron City was junk, so what difference did Bombs make? Alas, I had forgotten the hint telling me that Hyrule Castle Town was way of the hero and that I hadn't gotten anything there yet. Finding the Bow in the Shadow Temple only encouraged me to jump to Forest Temple, and finding the Longshot there only encouraged me to do Gerudo Training Grounds and Spirit Temple. Now by that point, when I was finally going back to child Link to plant seeds and check orphaned checks, I really should have stopped by Bombchu Bowling Alley but whoops I didn't!

Another flaw in the Plandomizer I noticed- it seems that you get an extra Weird Egg if you tell it not to shuffle? Not sure how gamebreaking that is since I didn't try to get a mask after that point. I get the impression not that many people use Plandomizer considering that I ran into two flaws my first time trying it.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Some Guy TT posted:

Well that took way longer than it should have but only because I completely forgot that Bombchu Bowling Alley had items. The bombs came up so late and at such a weird time I had long since ceased to think of them as important. The top of way of the hero Fire Temple had magic and Din's Fire, and Shadow Temple was so much more obviously the reasonable place that was being pointed to I mostly overlooked finding the Bombs in the composer's grave. I had forty Bombchus and I remembered a hint saying that Goron City was junk, so what difference did Bombs make? Alas, I had forgotten the hint telling me that Hyrule Castle Town was way of the hero and that I hadn't gotten anything there yet. Finding the Bow in the Shadow Temple only encouraged me to jump to Forest Temple, and finding the Longshot there only encouraged me to do Gerudo Training Grounds and Spirit Temple. Now by that point, when I was finally going back to child Link to plant seeds and check orphaned checks, I really should have stopped by Bombchu Bowling Alley but whoops I didn't!

Another flaw in the Plandomizer I noticed- it seems that you get an extra Weird Egg if you tell it not to shuffle? Not sure how gamebreaking that is since I didn't try to get a mask after that point. I get the impression not that many people use Plandomizer considering that I ran into two flaws my first time trying it.

I'm not gonna touch that seed so I read your spoiler. You can do both gtg and spirit with only hookshot. The gtg ceiling is kind of hard to hit but it is possible if you just stand in the right place

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Oh, I know all about the "Longshot does almost nothing awkwardly angled Hookshot can't" rule. In this particular case my last song was Epona's Song, which I knew was in Ice Cave, so I was running all over the world trying to find Ruto's Letter. Longshot put the whole west side of the map in logic. And I think that still might have been the best move was to go there, since child Link couldn't do anything new until I got to Spirit Temple anyway.

I'm wondering whether having ten or so treasures locked away in Ganon's Tower does a lot to prevent wild goose chases like the one I was on in this seed. But then I was dumb and forgot a fairly important hint, so I'm hesitant to blame the seed too much.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Normal seed this time. Original goon ruleset.

https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=595707

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I somehow screwed this up and made it a Triforce Hunt instead. All the other settings are correct though, and it was fun! Those hints were utterly bewildering. I was running into so many triforce pieces on standard checks I had to double check to make sure I didn't accidentally put an unusually high number in the pool. So it was very, very odd that the hints were pushing Fire Temple, which had absolutely nothing except Hover Boots at the very top. Combine that with the only useful item at Gerudo Valley being the Lens, and it sure seemed like I was being railroaded into Shadow Temple, despite the lack of magic and also despite my having already gotten so many triforce pieces so fast. When the only worthwhile Zora's Domain item ended up being the Gauntlets, with my recently having gotten the Mirror Shield at a late Deku Tree check, I decided to forget about Ice Cave and go to Spirit Temple instead and that ended up being the right move, probably.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B5tsmP1-ato6quxiuL_Ta3nhM3m_kT4lasEOLnSNNtY/edit

This is a document laying out the changes they're currently working on for season 4 settings. They look fun! Looks like they plan to start up season 4 sometime in late November, which sounds like a great time to do the same here, with similar settings.

There's two confusing settings described in the document because they rely on in-development options. Free Zelda means you start with a free song and Zelda's Letter. Variable medallions/stones mean that you need a specific number of stones or medallions to activate certain cutscenes (either the rainbow bridge or the light arrow cutscene), rather than needing all of them. So when they say 5 medallion/2 stone, that means that the bridge activates when you have two stones, and the light arrow cutscene (which gives the ganon boss key) activates at 5 medallions. Giving you freedom to pick and choose which dungeons you do rather than the seed picking for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Is it possible to do JabuJabu without the boomerang?

It looks like even though I picked glitchless, I'm expected to beat Spirit Temple without Slingshot or Boomerang and that just feels way too unfair.

I guess I lucked into a really tough first randomizer. :smith:

My gf and I have been working hard at this game for a few weeks now and we have yet to complete a single dungeon, although we finally can beat Fire Temple at least.

I only just finally got the ability to push blocks by doing the 1:00 Danpe Race, which was much harder than I remembered. I forgot that even existed as a reward, the game doesn't exactly tell you. Even then the timing is pretty drat tight, I only managed it by using the cheat/glitch where you can play a warp song to keep the timer from progressing for awhile.

I broke down and looked at the spoiler list and The slingshot, the boomerang, and more are all in Ganon's Castle, what the gently caress. And Saria's Song requires getting the 3 spiritual stones, which means I have to do Ganon's first??

I would kill for a "randomize everything before the endgame" option

Or a "swap major items with major items, leave minigame stuff out of the main pool" option

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well first off, there's three slingshots. Are all three unavailable? Jabu is indeed completely impossible without boomerang, but you can get the first chest--the only troublesome part is the switch on the ceiling in the first room, but if you time a bomb throw just right you can hit the switch with a bomb.

Spirit Temple doesn't need a child projectile for much. Only two chests are child-only. All the rest can be gotten as adult. If those two chests aren't keys the logic probably just wants you to skip child spirit. Note that adult can go into the rooms you'd normally do as child, he just can't crawl through the crawlspaces.

If you really want to do child spirit, you can hit the switch in the second room with a bombchu pretty easily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxruBiW_FLA

If Saria's song is locked behind Ganon's Castle just don't get it. All you need to beat the game (with default settings at least I'm not 100% sure what you used) are six medallions, bow, magic, and light arrows.

e: I suspect this is a situation where the item you need to progress is locked behind something you don't think you can reach, but which you actually can. If you're already looking at the spoiler log, there's a sample playthrough at the bottom of it which suggests an order to collect the items in. It's not always great but it does tell you when things become logically available.

ee: if you post the settings string and the seed you used (both are in the default filename and might also be in the spoiler log?) I can mess around in the simulator and try to figure out where you might be stuck.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 22, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Well first off, there's three slingshots. Are all three unavailable? Jabu is indeed completely impossible without boomerang, but you can get the first chest--the only troublesome part is the switch on the ceiling in the first room, but if you time a bomb throw just right you can hit the switch with a bomb.

Spirit Temple doesn't need a child projectile for much. Only two chests are child-only. All the rest can be gotten as adult. If those two chests aren't keys the logic probably just wants you to skip child spirit. Note that adult can go into the rooms you'd normally do as child, he just can't crawl through the crawlspaces.

If you really want to do child spirit, you can hit the switch in the second room with a bombchu pretty easily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxruBiW_FLA

If Saria's song is locked behind Ganon's Castle just don't get it. All you need to beat the game (with default settings at least I'm not 100% sure what you used) are six medallions, bow, magic, and light arrows.

e: I suspect this is a situation where the item you need to progress is locked behind something you don't think you can reach, but which you actually can. If you're already looking at the spoiler log, there's a sample playthrough at the bottom of it which suggests an order to collect the items in. It's not always great but it does tell you when things become logically available.

ee: if you post the settings string and the seed you used (both are in the default filename and might also be in the spoiler log?) I can mess around in the simulator and try to figure out where you might be stuck.

I got into Jabu with the bomb throwing trick but couldn't seem to progress anywhere past that. Got the one chest but it was bupkis.

I guess I didn't consider that child spirit may not be needed at all. That'd work I guess. Feels weird to be forced to skip parts of the game though. I heard you can do the child stuff with a bombchu but it seems pretty gnarly, I don't know if I feel like trying that.

You need Saria's to get to Forest Temple, right? Which is a medallion. If you can get Forest Song somewhere else then you can skip it, but I don't have Forest Song yet so... agh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Saria is locked then Minuet is definitely available somewhere. There's a pretty easy (glitchless) trick to skip both songs but it does break logic. All the videos on it that I'm aware of kind of suck but if you want to break logic I can throw together a mini guide pretty quickly.

You're correct that you can only do about half of Jabu and only get one chest without boomerang. If boomerang is in Ganon's castle then Jabu must be a sacred stone

e: if you're this late in the seed I'm guessing minuet is probably on the burning kakariko check, which is activated with the forest, fire, and water medallions, or the prelude check which is activated with the forest medallion. If it's neither of those then you likely missed a song--probably ice cavern.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 23, 2020