Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was using the tracker wrong turns out. You gotta click the empty bottle button after turning in ruto's letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Pausing for the night at 4:20 (nice) after getting final confirmation that yes, it's all dungeons. With any luck, I'll be able to grab the boss key and kill Morpha quickly. Think I lost my sub-5 on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm locked in for a sub-6 unless I do something really, really stupid.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If anyone wants to try this hellish seed I'm on, here's the setup for it:

File Hash: SOLD OUT, Deku Nut, Hammer, Boomerang, Deku Nut
seed: YOQ1F82JSM
settings_string: AJSSAJC9E8BGBJB9NAAAAAK6DUWJ

It's a Keysanity, with both regular and boss keys mixed up. Start as Adult, Ganon's Castle Open, GC Boss Key on Light Arrow Cutscene (which only requires shadow and spirit medallions), wallets don't autofill, all tricks disabled, nothing excluded. There's more to the settings I'm forgetting I'm sure but it's definitely not the same kind of tricks/excluded locations as the PGC seeds you guys are playing since I generally play differently. It's been....rough so far. But I finally found a hookshot so maybe things will get better soon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I might give that a shot, I'm really not enjoying master quest and may or may not finish the seed I'm working on now

There's two main things I dislike:

One, every dungeon requires was more items. So progression is locked behind a bunch of logic much more often.
Two, for me the fun in rando is answering the question "what should I do next?" which presupposes that I even know what I'm capable of doing. I tried to use a tracker to make up for my lack of MQ knowledge but then I used it wrong and wasted probably an hour and a half doing scattered individual checks instead of doing into a dungeon that I thought I didn't have access to yet

I'll decide tonight whether I want to finish this seed but I won't be participating in any future MQ seeds. My time is tainted anyways because I used savestates to scum my magic meter on some really annoying fire arrow shots (torch hitboxes are hosed up if you haven't noticed. I don't even know what part of them I'm supposed to be aiming for)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

5:13 in the main seed, that's not bad. I still need to work on cleaning up my routing (could've saved a few minutes if I'd remembered to buy beans sooner, for example), but I'm pretty happy with how I did. Didn't do any more in Jabu, or Water and Spirit temples than necessary, and didn't even enter Under the Well. Plus, you find double defense pretty early, which was nice.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm really not enjoying master quest and may or may not finish the seed I'm working on now
Yeah, I was considering either MQ Dungeons or Dungeon Tokensanity, I'm starting to wish I'd gone with the latter.

cheetah7071 posted:

I used savestates to scum my magic meter on some really annoying fire arrow shots (torch hitboxes are hosed up if you haven't noticed. I don't even know what part of them I'm supposed to be aiming for)
I always aim just above it, which usually works.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 25, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

5:13 in the main seed, that's not bad. I still need to work on cleaning up my routing (could've saved a few minutes if I'd remembered to buy beans sooner, for example), but I'm pretty happy with how I did. Didn't do any more in Jabu, or Water and Spirit temples than necessary, and didn't even enter Under the Well. Plus, you find double defense pretty early, which was nice.

For me the sticking point was really really not wanting to do the dumb frog minigame with stone water. And then of course the mirror shield was locked behind iron boots (like three spheres away so I wasted a bunch of time doing easier iron boots checks, too)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm really not enjoying master quest and may or may not finish the seed I'm working on now
Yay/nay on just calling it a wash and letting Procrastine pick a new bonus seed?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

Yay/nay on just calling it a wash and letting Procrastine pick a new bonus seed?

I think I will finish the seed after all. My time will be trash and disqualified via savestates anyways but I finally found the big roadblock item and can do actual progression again. Unless there's a lurker also working on the seed Procrastine will be the winner cause my time is a) slow and b) invalid, so you might as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mmkay. Procrastine, how do you feel? Wanna take the win-by-default?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Mmkay. Procrastine, how do you feel? Wanna take the win-by-default?

I'd say maybe give it another 24 hours for any lurkers, then call it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FPzero posted:

If anyone wants to try this hellish seed I'm on, here's the setup for it:

File Hash: SOLD OUT, Deku Nut, Hammer, Boomerang, Deku Nut
seed: YOQ1F82JSM
settings_string: AJSSAJC9E8BGBJB9NAAAAAK6DUWJ

It's a Keysanity, with both regular and boss keys mixed up. Start as Adult, Ganon's Castle Open, GC Boss Key on Light Arrow Cutscene (which only requires shadow and spirit medallions), wallets don't autofill, all tricks disabled, nothing excluded. There's more to the settings I'm forgetting I'm sure but it's definitely not the same kind of tricks/excluded locations as the PGC seeds you guys are playing since I generally play differently. It's been....rough so far. But I finally found a hookshot so maybe things will get better soon.

Instead of finishing the cursed MQ seed I decided to start this supposedly-cursed seed instead

this'll probably be the last day in this uninterrupted sequence of playing rando every night though

e: never mind, this has a whoooooole lot of rules you didn't mention that I'm not used to and don't want to learn lol. I'll just make a new GCS seed. I am interested in learning open ganon's tower with boss key on lacs though, it seems like a good way to make ganon's castle do something

seed: timefiller
settings: AJWYTKAHXCACAAJWAS7A8S8ACTCTFBJTRBAAANK2KUCA
hash: stone of agony, kokiri tunic, lens of truth, sold out, deku stick

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 26, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
got 5:01:47 on my own seed, not terrible considering I had to drat near 100% it looking for my last item.

An interesting situation I encountered in this:

I only needed two items for go mode, but they blocked very little--longshot and mirror shield. Most of the overworld was cleared, along with the entirety of deku tree, dodongo, jabu, shadow, GTG, and ice cavern. I didn't have song of storms yet but was only missing two songs (the OoT song wasn't on any of the gossip stones I checked; the two songs would come from Forest and from Spirit). I had killed Volvagia but found the boss key super early and barely touched the rest of the dungeon. Forest temple was a stone dungeon. Spirit temple would give me the burning kakariko song, but again I didn't have mirror shield. Do you:
Finish Fire?
Dip Spirit?
Dip Water?
Clear Forest?

I did Forest first, hoping the OoT song would be storms (it was minuet). Then I dipped Spirit, then Water, then cleared Fire, finding the mirror shield, letting me clear spirit, giving me storms, letting me enter the well, where I finally found the longshot. I think this was wrong and I should have dipped Spirit first; it's more check dense, I had Farore's so I could instantly regain my progress if I had to leave and so the dip would still be progress towards beating the game since I'd be doing all those rooms sooner or later. Water is probably the second best choice for similar reasons but ideally you want to do Water as late as possible in case you hit go mode before then and can just bail as soon as you find the boss key. After that is Forest, which is what I chose in the heat of the moment. Ironically, I think the mirror shield ended up being in the place that's worst to check, probably

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I am very mature.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

cheetah7071 posted:

e: never mind, this has a whoooooole lot of rules you didn't mention that I'm not used to and don't want to learn lol. I'll just make a new GCS seed. I am interested in learning open ganon's tower with boss key on lacs though, it seems like a good way to make ganon's castle do something

Sorry, I knew there had to be way more little details I hadn't mentioned but I was just trying to list the main big ones I could think of.

I like Open Ganon's Tower with random trials, because it allows me to pop into the tower and see what I'll eventually need to get through it, without being surprised at the very end. Plus depending on what I need and where stuff gets placed, the run could be over pretty quickly.

I'll have to try a GCS seed eventually. I like Keysanity but I know it contributes to a much longer playthrough that many might not enjoy as much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like BCS. Random trials and open castle sounds like a good idea, too. Ganon Key in LACS...

Edit: I tried it with Dungeon Tokensanity on, and ugh. If I make another bonus seed, Dungeon Tokensanity is definitely gonna be the only modifier, I never realized how much of a pain in the rear end it is compared to PGC.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 26, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think I'm probably going to abandon that seed I posted. Running around as adult first is fun but you really need Hookshot and Bombs to accomplish much. Once I got Hookshot, I very quickly found almost every other major upgrade and song in the game and just need to get Spirit Medallion to get GC Boss Key since I have vanilla requirements and GC Boss key on LACS. The complication, however, is that Spirit is in Shadow Temple, so I need Nocturne. One of the Gossip Stones told me Nocturne is on Mask of Truth Deku Stage. So that means I need to get all three spiritual stones to get the running man to spawn as a child so I can sell him the hood and get Mask of Truth. So to do that I basically need to beat Forest, Water, and Jabu to get the stones. I also need to find Fire Arrows and Light Arrows somewhere in everything to clear the GC Forest and Spirit trials. With my inventory already filled out with all the items and upgrades, it means a very boring, uneventful journey as I find keys around the world since Keysanity is on. I haven't even stepped into the majority of the dungeons yet!

So yeah, I think I'll be abandoning this one. Maybe I'll join the next PGC one instead of generating a new seed myself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FPzero posted:

I think I'm probably going to abandon that seed I posted. Running around as adult first is fun but you really need Hookshot and Bombs to accomplish much. Once I got Hookshot, I very quickly found almost every other major upgrade and song in the game and just need to get Spirit Medallion to get GC Boss Key since I have vanilla requirements and GC Boss key on LACS. The complication, however, is that Spirit is in Shadow Temple, so I need Nocturne. One of the Gossip Stones told me Nocturne is on Mask of Truth Deku Stage. So that means I need to get all three spiritual stones to get the running man to spawn as a child so I can sell him the hood and get Mask of Truth. So to do that I basically need to beat Forest, Water, and Jabu to get the stones. I also need to find Fire Arrows and Light Arrows somewhere in everything to clear the GC Forest and Spirit trials. With my inventory already filled out with all the items and upgrades, it means a very boring, uneventful journey as I find keys around the world since Keysanity is on. I haven't even stepped into the majority of the dungeons yet!

So yeah, I think I'll be abandoning this one. Maybe I'll join the next PGC one instead of generating a new seed myself.

You still plenty of have time to join this one!

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I finished up the vanilla seed, I ended up at 5:14. I was in 100% go mode at my previous spoiler, and things wrapped up surprisingly quickly. If I didn't own myself that could've been a great run.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 27, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blorange posted:

I finished up the vanilla seed, I ended up at 5:14. I was in 100% go mode at my previous spoiler, and things wrapped up surprisingly quickly. If I didn't own myself that could've been a great run.
You were behind me by like twenty seconds! Real close run. I was even closer to cheetah's time than I've been before.

In other news, I was practicing a run on my own, untimed, and I finally managed to complete the Deku Tree B1 skip and kill Gohma slingshotless. Used a single broken Deku stick, though I need more practice on the quick kill. This video was super helpful. My main mistake is when I do like a little microstep before the positioning backflips/side hops.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you screw up the one cycle, it's helpful to know that you can shatter the eggs she drops with a deku nut

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

you can shatter the eggs she drops with a deku nut
poo poo, really? I was taking them out with crouch stabs and kept taking damage from running into them. Thank you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I keep learning little tricks like that by watching the videos of ootr tournaments. Like if you have access to two of the chests in the Gordon city maze, you can reach the third (out of logic) with hover boots by backwalking off the crate and back flipping over the boulders. Or, you can peek through most walls by rolling and hitting C up right before the roll ends. This is most notably useful to check the item in the graveyard crate to see if it's something good. You can also grab most freestanding items with the boomerang--it can't go through walls on the way out but can go through walls and pick up items on the way back. Mostly useful for saving a few seconds but this can grab the graveyard crate item out of logic. Both the impa's cow item and windmill item are also accessible as adult with nothing with extremely easy but unintuitive jumps. Also you can get all but one chest in the water temple with longshot+gold scale but no iron boots. I don't know if that's in-logic for our settings but it's in-logic for the tournament settings.

This game is weird as gently caress in a lot of ways

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Huh. Learn something new every day. I'll need to remember the 'check the box' one, getting a bean in there is often an incredibly annoying detour if I don't already have the longshot and/or the NoS.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If I have bombs or silver scale before doing the majority of my kakariko cleanup, I buy 3 packs of beans before heading there so that I can remember to drop a bean in its location. That said, I've also never tried actually racing in one of these seeds, so I'm no doubt being really unoptimal with how to do my checks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think there's four items you might logically need a bean for depending on the seed (graveyard, colossus, crater, and lake). It'd be a truly evil seed that needs all four though. I usually buy 2 and haven't been punished yet. Lake can be done with hookshot+scarecrow, graveyard can be done with longshot, crater can be done out of logic with hover boots, and you can peek at the colossus item if you stand in the right spot to see if it's actually important (wish I knew that several seeds ago)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God, it was the absolute worst looking at that one by the Spirit Temple and seeing the Mirror Shield. Like "Welp, poo poo, guess this is an all dungeons run."

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I haven't had to do it yet but it fucks me up that the randomizer makes lake platform obtainable without water temple clear. I would've never realized that was a thing until I saw it mentioned somewhere.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

God, it was the absolute worst looking at that one by the Spirit Temple and seeing the Mirror Shield. Like "Welp, poo poo, guess this is an all dungeons run."

Ask me about avoiding the frogs like the plague and drat near 100%ing everything else

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FPzero posted:

I haven't had to do it yet but it fucks me up that the randomizer makes lake platform obtainable without water temple clear. I would've never realized that was a thing until I saw it mentioned somewhere.
It requires the longshot, which often means you can clear the WT anyways, but yeah. There's some tricks like that. For example, I never knew that the Fire Temple scarecrow lead to a chest and a skulltula before starting playing rando.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A few more random-rear end tricks I remembered:

if you have hover boots in water temple, you can easily reach the alcove with the top-most water level changer. In the room with the changer that sets the water to the lowest, you can walk over the gap with hovers and sidehop and get to the bombable wall without needing to set the water to the middle. (Both of these are possible without hovers but I don't know the methods, they look hard)

For some inscrutable reason, the master sword does more damage to flare dancers than the biggoron sword

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

A neat trick for the cracked wall chest is using bombchus to break the wall, if you stand on the dark blue stripes on the 3rd floor and aim straight the bombchu will hit the wall perfectly on the 4th flash. The chest is a little buggy underwater, but you can open it after you hit it with the hookshot.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

PMush Perfect posted:

It requires the longshot, which often means you can clear the WT anyways, but yeah. There's some tricks like that. For example, I never knew that the Fire Temple scarecrow lead to a chest and a skulltula before starting playing rando.

Wait is this true in vanilla too? Like, is the Fire Arrow trigger just having Longshot?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FPzero posted:

Wait is this true in vanilla too? Like, is the Fire Arrow trigger just having Longshot?

You can spawn the item with nothing but a bow. You can reach the platform to pick it up by either restoring the water level or with longshot+scarecrow's song

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's not really relevant in vanilla because by the time you have the longshot, you're most of the way through it anyways, but I guess if you wanted to use fire arrows in the Morpha fight...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even in rando, the fact that the cutscene for beating the water temple sets the time of day to dawn makes it really easy to route in shoot the sun right after morpha

Nearly every cutscene sets time of day but that's the most useful one. The other notable one off the top of my head is that beating the deku tree sets the time to noon when the game starts at dawn, so you have less time to mess around in hyrule field before the market closes if you beat the deku tree before leaving forest

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like things have quieted down, so I think this is the point where I call it.

cheetah, you took first in the main one again, so you get to pick the new seed.

Procrastine, as the only person who actually completed the bonus seed, do you want to come up with a new one, or go back to just one at a time for now?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Use good old FoamierAction as the seed

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Let's try AJWSTKAHXCANDAJWFS7A8S8ACTCTFBJTRTKLAAANK2KUCA

Changes from Gooncessible:

Songs are shuffled with the main item pool.

The ocarinas and the weird egg are shuffled. In exchange, the kokiri sword is no longer shuffled and is always at its normal spot.

Ganon's Castle is open from the start, but the boss key is gotten from the Light Arrows cutscene, which requires all medallions. The trials are still disabled. Ganon's Castle chest requirements, since it's not visited often in other settings:
One free chest in Forest
Two free chests in Water. Also a source of Blue Fire
First chest in Shadow requires hookshot/hover boots/song of time/fire arrows
Second chest in Shadow requires either fire arrows or [longshot + hover boots or din's fire]
First chest in Spirit requires hookshot
Second chest in Spirit requires hookshot, bombchus and lens (lens optional if you know where it is)
All chests in Light require strength 3, six require nothing else, one chest requires lens by logic, one requires a key and lullaby
Boss key chest is free, but out of the way

Cows can now grant items if Epona's song is played to them. List of cows:
Two in the Lon Lon Ranch tower, two in the Lon Lon Ranch stables (say hi to Ingo)
One in Impa's house in Kakariko Village (can play the song from the other side of the bars)
One in a grotto on Death Mountain Trail, under a rock just before the area where the volcano erupts
One in the grotto in Hyrule Field near Gerudo Valley (requires explosives and Din's Fire as a child or hammer and fire as an adult)
One at the bottom of Gerudo Valley

One in Link's House as an adult after beating the obstacle course at Lon Lon Ranch (disabled because no one wants to do the obstacle course)
There's an extra cow in MQ Jabu-Jabu, but these settings have only vanilla dungeons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Good settings. I'll definitely play in that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll also give it a shot but I probably won't be timing my run since I know I play slowly and prefer playing these real chill.

Gave up on my other latest run after I read a Gossip Stone saying Hookshot on Biggoron reward and just groaning loudly.