Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was looking to get into some rando again, but tbh it's been awhile since I played the game at all. I saw it mentioned that you can make a vanilla seed that is just the original game with the rando QOL stuff to practice with, but uh... I seem to be too stupid to figure out how to do that with the settings in the setup gui. How do I just straight up disable the randomization stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After doing a lot worse in the tournament than I expected I'm taking a bit of a break. When I come back I want to use Wii VC but I gotta wait for my ESS adapter to snail mail slowly across the Atlantic

site posted:

I was looking to get into some rando again, but tbh it's been awhile since I played the game at all. I saw it mentioned that you can make a vanilla seed that is just the original game with the rando QOL stuff to practice with, but uh... I seem to be too stupid to figure out how to do that with the settings in the setup gui. How do I just straight up disable the randomization stuff?

You have to do a plandomizer for that. Ask around in the official discord and someone will be able to help you out

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

cheetah7071 posted:

After doing a lot worse in the tournament than I expected I'm taking a bit of a break. When I come back I want to use Wii VC but I gotta wait for my ESS adapter to snail mail slowly across the Atlantic

As someone who plays on VC, please point me in the direction of someone selling ESS adapters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

take three tablets posted:

As someone who plays on VC, please point me in the direction of someone selling ESS adapters.

This is the one everyone seems to like: https://electromodder.co.uk

It claims to modify the signal the controller sends to the wii so that when the VC software applies its extremely annoying deadzone, the end result is if nothing had happened and you get an N64-style deadzone. So if your controller has a signal of +8, normally the VC would say "that's in my deadzone, I'll tell OoT that it got a 0 on the X-axis". But the adapter inserts itself between the controller and wii and turns that +8 into a +20 or something, which the VC software converts back into +8.

Any sort of controller modifications which gives you trivial ESS access (e.g. mapping the C-stick to ESS positions) is banned in most OoT speedrunning, including rando, in case anyone thought that was what an ESS adapter meant. You probably already knew that but I figured I'd say it for the rest of the thread. Not that ESS is all that important with the standard ruleset.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 21, 2021

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

cheetah7071 posted:

This is the one everyone seems to like: https://electromodder.co.uk

It claims to modify the signal the controller sends to the wii so that when the VC software applies its extremely annoying deadzone, the end result is if nothing had happened and you get an N64-style deadzone. So if your controller has a signal of +8, normally the VC would say "that's in my deadzone, I'll tell OoT that it got a 0 on the X-axis". But the adapter inserts itself between the controller and wii and turns that +8 into a +20 or something, which the VC software converts back into +8.

Any sort of controller modifications which gives you trivial ESS access (e.g. mapping the C-stick to ESS positions) is banned in most OoT speedrunning, including rando, in case anyone thought that was what an ESS adapter meant. You probably already knew that but I figured I'd say it for the rest of the thread. Not that ESS is all that important with the standard ruleset.

It would honestly be more to just make aiming less obnoxious for me. Although being able to more consistently do ESS turn setups would be nice, too. They take long enough right now that they aren’t even worth learning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah aiming sucks with the default wii controls

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

cheetah7071 posted:

You have to do a plandomizer for that. Ask around in the official discord and someone will be able to help you out

Don't know why I didn't think of that lol think I found it on there thanks

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Current update, started as a child:

Deku Tree
- Lobby Chest: Ice :(
- Slingshot Chest: Huge Rupee
- Slingshot second chest: Ruto's letter
- Compass Side Room: Piece of Heart
- Compass Chest: Stone of Agony... hooray?
- Burning Web Basement Chest: bombs
- Gohma: Deku Shield..?
- Deku Tree: Zora Sapphire

Dodogono's:
- Top of the Cave: Blue Fire
- Bomb Chest - Piece of Heart
- Bombable Chest on bridges: Piece of Heart
- Chest Above King Dodongo: Blue Rupee
- King Dodongo: Blue rupee good lord

(45 minutes roughly, took a break after and resumed later)

Kokiri Forest:
- Storms grotto: Purple Rupee (forgot to check the stone)

Zora's River:
- Bought 3 magic beans
- Heart Piece 1: Silver Gauntlets, nice need those
- Frog Game: Purple Rupee, Purple Rupee, Purple Rupee, Blue Rupee, Purple, Purple
- Open Grotto: Gold Gauntlets, a real strength theme in the river today (Random Number 4.. hooray?)
- Eye Stone out in the open: Serenade of Water is in the graveyard
- Heart Piece 2: deku shield
- Eye Stone underneath Heart Piece 2: Plundering Zora's Domain is a foolish choice, so guess that crosses that off my list
- Frog Game: Piece of heart rip

Kakariko Village:
- Only way to become extremely rich is to destroy as many of the spiders as possible, apparently
- 10 Token reward: Guess what? It's a blue rupee
- Redead Chest: Blue Rupee, shocked I say
- Windmill Heart Piece: Blue Rupee, not even gonna get it
- Man on Roof: piece of heart. Side note I side jumped off the watchtower to land on the fence, then climbed up. I presume this would be intended to get with a cuccoo or as an adult with the hookshot!

Graveyard:
- Sun Song Chest: Heart Container
- Sun Song: Sure enough serenade of water, which is perfect as I think I want to head there next?

Current status:

I haven't been tracking heart pieces or pieces of heart properly, but I think everything else is currently accurate!

Haven't gotten back into it since Monday as I've been feeling lazy, but pulling all the eye hints that I've been writing down together (I admittedly might have forgotten a few):
  • Final prize of thieves area = piece of heart
  • Forest temple = hoverboots
  • Gerudo's Fortress has Deku Nuts
  • Big Poes lead to Big goron sword
  • Din's Fire can be found in the graveyard
  • Wallet can be found in Kakariko village (pretty sure this is the 20 token reward as I'm p sure I've gotten everything else)
  • Spinning Goron Pottery: Purple Rupee
  • Plundering Gerudo Valley is a foolish choice
  • Kokiri Forest is on the way of the hero
  • Spirit Temple holds 5 bombs, Ocarina of time teaches the requiem of spirit
  • Serenade of Water is in the graveyard
  • Plundering Zora's Domain is a foolish choice
  • "Ganon's Castle hoards a blue potion bottle"
  • They say that quest guidance can be found at a talking rock.. not sure if this is sarcastic though?

Looking at the above hints, Gerudo's fortress might have something, but I can't remember how many chests are there. I'll need to head that way anyway for the spirit temple though.

Gerudo valley has nothing in it. Forest temple is obviously required since I need the medallion from it AND it has hover boots. Might be nice to pick up a big poe but not really essential. I still kind of want the wallet as well. Zora's domain is a bust however.

I think probably the best thing for me to do at this point is go back to adult and hit up the ice cavern? I have some blue fire still hanging around in a bottle and it's full of chests that might contain items. After that it might be a good idea to hit up lake hylia and mop up some of the stuff there as well as dip into the fortress to collect anything that might be there. I've got the lens as well so I could get to the spirit temple and pick up the song, plus since I've already got the golden gauntlets there might be something useful in there as a kid maybe? Not sure which part of the spirit temple has "5 bombs." My luck though it's probably the item chest for child

I'm roughly at 5.5 hours at the moment. Which isn't too bad for my first run I think! Hopefully I can finish in the next 2 or so.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

In your shoes I'd probably go check out Forest Temple, with Song of Time you can clear the courtyard and see if Hover Boots are early on in there. Also you never know, maybe that's where the bow is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd do Ice Cavern. You still need songs (Nocturne at least, Requiem more than likely) and hey, maybe an item you need is there too.

e: you can also cross the wasteland for that song but that's super risky without having mirror shield for the outside chance of just clearing spirit all in one go. Even if you don't care about your time, it feels miserable to go across the wasteland multiple times

ee: I've been able to cross the wasteland with no items for so long I forgot you need longshot or hovers to do it without a trick, so it isn't even in logic for you

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

take three tablets posted:

Is there any interest in running seeds in this thread again? I haven’t timed any of my runs yet, but I used to speed run the game casually so I would be interested in competition. I sort of missed the boat the first go around.
I'd be into playing, but I don't think I have it in me to organize it again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If people just want a weekly seed, I'll draw one up. It's using the brand-new weekly settings (which differ from the S4 settings only in that you need 4 medallions to enter GC) but I went through and disabled 40/50 skulls and 1500 HBA so people of all skill levels should be able to complete the seed. We had bombchu bowling disabled in previous goon settings but I re-enabled it because if I play too many seeds without it I start forgetting to check it when I turn it back on lol. The settings the main racing community uses are a bit in flux at the moment but this is what they'll be racing with this weekend.

Full settings string is AJTWPCBSKJA9EFSDEAAJACBBMTDDAKJ8S8JACAJAEAC2AJSDGBLADLED7JKQUXEAN3BAJAAWKCLAC
Seed is GoonRevival

Patch page is https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=687708

Master Sword/Map/Bow/Boomerang/Mask of Truth

I'm not 100% sure how the current tournament hints respond to turning off always hint locations but I think we'll get 4 WotH (duplicated), 2 foolish (duplicated), 4 always (30/OoT/Biggoron/Frogs, duplicated) and 9 sometimes hints (not duplicated).

e: This skip was also discovered and is legal in the standard ruleset. Potentially a big time save if you need ice cavern and don't have Ruto's Letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EI_McXzUk

I think you can get away with doing C-up aiming instead of the ESS turns, it isn't super precise iirc. I just can't find any other videos of the jump.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 23, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

e: This skip was also discovered and is legal in the standard ruleset. Potentially a big time save if you need ice cavern and don't have Ruto's Letter.

The holy grail... it has been found!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh, that does seem like a pretty cool skip. Not sure how difficult the setup for that is, but I do remember glitching past King Zora as not being terribly difficult in the first place.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just tried it and it's pretty easy. The difficulties I had were that the camera takes a frame or two to adjust so you can't hold Z as you climb back up, you have to wait for link to fully climb, then press Z; and that you have to already have your sword out before you begin anything in that video

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

cheetah7071 posted:

If people just want a weekly seed, I'll draw one up. It's using the brand-new weekly settings (which differ from the S4 settings only in that you need 4 medallions to enter GC) but I went through and disabled 40/50 skulls and 1500 HBA so people of all skill levels should be able to complete the seed. We had bombchu bowling disabled in previous goon settings but I re-enabled it because if I play too many seeds without it I start forgetting to check it when I turn it back on lol. The settings the main racing community uses are a bit in flux at the moment but this is what they'll be racing with this weekend.

Full settings string is AJTWPCBSKJA9EFSDEAAJACBBMTDDAKJ8S8JACAJAEAC2AJSDGBLADLED7JKQUXEAN3BAJAAWKCLAC
Seed is GoonRevival

Patch page is https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=687708

Master Sword/Map/Bow/Boomerang/Mask of Truth

I'm not 100% sure how the current tournament hints respond to turning off always hint locations but I think we'll get 4 WotH (duplicated), 2 foolish (duplicated), 4 always (30/OoT/Biggoron/Frogs, duplicated) and 9 sometimes hints (not duplicated).

I think you can get away with doing C-up aiming instead of the ESS turns, it isn't super precise iirc. I just can't find any other videos of the jump.

I will definitely get a run of this done when I have time. Specifically the only thing I turn off in my settings is HBA so this is pretty much perfect.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

cheetah7071 posted:

lol if this is accepted I'll definitely just do the double jump slash to clip through the corner. It's so random that that 200 step glitch is OK when aligning to a wall a side flip and three jump slashes are banned. To be clear, I get WHY it is, it's because it's easier saying clipping through walls is illegal than saying clipping through walls except here is illegal but seriously, that's a lot of work for an easy skip

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Man with Hat posted:

lol if this is accepted I'll definitely just do the double jump slash to clip through the corner. It's so random that that 200 step glitch is OK when aligning to a wall a side flip and three jump slashes are banned. To be clear, I get WHY it is, it's because it's easier saying clipping through walls is illegal than saying clipping through walls except here is illegal but seriously, that's a lot of work for an easy skip

I think it's still a bit in flux. There's a pretty analogous situation elsewhere--a trick that is fairly hard to do glitchless but has a really easy clip to achieve the same thing--and the clip is explicitly allowed in the ruleset. (It's the backflip through the falling spikes in shadow temple).

Anyways, I was gonna play a seed tonight anyways, so I did the one I rolled up above, and got 3:10:50.

Pretty baby seed overall. Probably had 10ish minutes of pure mistakes that could have pushed me below 3 hours if I was good at the game. The strat this seed is to just rush progression and ignore every stone/side dungeon unless a hint tells you otherwise, then bail as soon as you find an item. There weren't really any curveballs all seed, though I did get baited by deep fire and by the well.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, this wasn't a tough seed at all. I'm rusty and died like 5 times and still managed to get 4:00:39.

I had some big routing problems though. The biggest one being that I completely skipped magic; did lost woods early on and just skipped Ocarina game. I eventually came back later after I learned Lost Woods was WotH, but I really could've done it earlier and saved myself the trouble. Additionally, I hosed up Spirit Temple big time; I used keys in a way that child couldn't get to the fire chest in the main room, meaning that Din's Fire or Fire Arrows was required for me. Luckily, I found Din's Fire pretty quickly in Well.

Honestly if I didn't do that nonsense and also didn't die nearly so much, I think I could've gotten somewhere around Cheetah's time. Ah well, maybe next seed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DNF at 3:51.

I must have hosed something up somehow??? That or I had the most wild bug ever. I got into the castle with 5 hearts and no bottles at like the 2 hour mark, got up to the boss room, and the Ganon boss door was locked. "Okay," I thought, "The Ganon key must be somewhere in the castle, maybe they changed that setting, too." I spent two goddamn hours running around until I had 14 hearts, double defense, Fire Arrows, and returned to check the chests in Ganon's castle. Not a goddamn thing. So I gave up.

Jesus Christ, I don't even know what I did wrong. I would have gotten a loving killer time, too. :cripes:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The setting for this seed has the Ganon boss key set to LACS at 6 medallions, so once you've got all the medallions you get the key from the Light Arrows check.

It's understandable if you missed that, these settings are very different from what we used to do in here. I started the game up, walked out of Kokiri Forest as adult link with Saria's Song and went "Wait a minute...something's not right" before I went back and examined the seed I just generated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah sorry I didn't lay out all the changes, I just assumed at this point that everyone had played with the S4 settings by this point, but the bridge opens up with fewer medallions (4m at this point), and you get the ganon boss key from the temple of time cutscene with 6 medallions

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
The S4 settings are certainly jarring the first time. I spent way too much time on another seed thinking the boss key was in Ganon's Castle and preparing for it and totally forgot it was on LACS.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One of the settings I want to try is one stone bridge, 5 medallion key. I think that was almost the S4 race settings but it ran into an issue where sometimes there weren't enough woth items and they didn't have time to fix the hint issue so they wentwith 2 medallion bridge instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah sorry I didn't lay out all the changes, I just assumed at this point that everyone had played with the S4 settings by this point, but the bridge opens up with fewer medallions (4m at this point), and you get the ganon boss key from the temple of time cutscene with 6 medallions
drat. I should've checked the settings. Ah, well. Next time!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fun fact: if you're ever unsure what settings you're playing on for some reason, the pedastal in the temple of time will tell you what the requirements to beat the game are. Both the rainbow bridge and the ganon boss key.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Fun fact: if you're ever unsure what settings you're playing on for some reason, the pedastal in the temple of time will tell you what the requirements to beat the game are. Both the rainbow bridge and the ganon boss key.
:eyepop:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm going to have a go at streaming this week's seed tonight starting in about 30-40 minutes on twitch.tv/aston1988

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I got 3:28

Don't worry PMush, You're not the only one. I did the same thing but checked the rules immediately and reading your post I'm glad I did.

I had never played with these new rules before and was chocked at how different they were. Obviously my fault for not reading properly before playing. Randomize Overworld Spawn was something I missed and I didn't realize I needed all the medallions before being at Ganon's door. I paused the timer a couple of times just to figure out the rules which I hope is fine.

That being said, now that I understand them a lot of these rule changes seem fun! Especially the overworld spawn thing bringing more variation to the game. I'll have to figure out what is needed for the trials, though.

On top of that I misread the stupid temple list in the A menu and looked for the wrong items for what felt like an hour (but probably wasn't).

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

2:20:50 for me, and if you're interested you can watch the vod here.

I got pretty lucky, everything just fell into my lap without having to do much hunting around. Also a couple of questionable decisions ended up paying off (climbing child Spirit and not doing WotH Lost Woods before Adult 2) so I'm chalking this one up to the whims of rando being in my favour this time rather than any particularly good play on my part.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even fixing those "mistakes" which ended up saving you time by dumb luck probably only adds 10-15 minutes. You had a hell of a run and a hell of a time, congratulations!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

My run in the Silver Gauntlets Challenge Cup came to an end yesterday - my group had a three-way tie for second place so we had a tiebreaker race for the spot, which was an exciting way to finish even if I did end up coming last of the three of us. We all finished within 15 minutes of each other so it was at least competitive.

I'd recommend trying out the weekly races (and the tournament qualifiers when they're on) for anyone. There's no limit on how good you have to be before entering, they're open to everyone, and they have an incentive to try and push yourself to improve which I really like.

The Scrubs tournament for "beginners and improvers" is probably going to start its qualifiers for season 3 soon, and they're a really friendly community if you want to get into racing with a bit more structure.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Playing this with opened forest really makes you appreciate upgrades to the amount of Deku Sticks you can carry.
It never felt important 20 years ago, but I love them now because I can't find the drat sword, heh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a new type of seed being tested out called "blitz" seeds, which are sort of like guaranteed fast versions of normal seeds. Ganon's Castle opens when you complete any five dungeons, ignoring whether they're medallions or stones. The main version of the randomizer doesn't have all the necessary features yet, but there's some asyncs generated with patch files you can apply using the website:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QVQwpoME6mOtsZQJ8dVVuY4xd1Pzjq49zLhWWsUnlQ4/edit#gid=0

The other differences from S4 are: adult trade item is always claim check (and thus biggoron is a sometimes hint, not always); burning kak is an always hint (this is generally true of any settings where you don't need medallions to beat the game); and way of the hero has been replaced with path of the reward. So hints will say something like "They say Gerudo Valley is on the path of Fire", which means one of the items in valley is logically required to acquire the fire medallion.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'd be down for trying one of these as the thread "Seed of the Week". Any objection to starting with async #1?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Aston posted:

I'd be down for trying one of these as the thread "Seed of the Week". Any objection to starting with async #1?

My only objection is I've already done it! I'll do #2 this week and post about it here though

e: and another change from S4 I forgot to mention:

it's back to S3-style ganon's castle. Six dungeon rewards (five dungeons plus link's pocket) opens the rainbow bridge, and there's no GC boss key. LACS is back to requiring spirit and shadow medallions and giving a random item

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm going to have a shot at Blitz Async 1 on stream at https://www.twitch.tv/aston1988 starting in five minutes or so.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Finished Blitz 02 in 2:36:19. Dungeons were Fire/Water/Forest/Jabu/DC. Ask me about full clearing Fire to try to follow up on my hinted hammer, only for it to be longshot in valley rocks. Speaking of valley, it was incredibly stacked this seed--bow, din's, and hookshot. I pity anyone who doesn't know Mido skip trying to do this seed lol.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 14, 2021

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Finally got around to playing Blitz 2, finished in 2:39:34.

I did the same dungeons as Cheetah, I managed to avoid the full clear of Fire on the hinted hammer but it took me a while to go to GTG for the Iron Boots and longshot on the way in, and then I bailed before Light Arrows and had to go back. I wasn't counting my keys properly but were Light Arrows Song of Time locked? Which if so would mean this was almost a logical AD seed, with only Spirit being skippable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I decided to mix it up by playing a seed with the "songs are dungeon rewards" option. I knew it was gonna probably be longer than usual because of that, but I wasn't expecting 5:52 (and maybe twenty minutes of that was my fault for playing badly). Basically last-locationed the last item I needed for go mode, hover boots (locked behind golden gauntlets in the Light Trial), which means that I essentially 100%ed the game. There are only three checks in the entire game that I didn't either collect, see, or get hinted - three chests in GC. Also, even if I had been luckier with my routing, all dungeons were (I think) required based on song logic. Probably the most thoroughly I've cleared a seed ever.