Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

I'm looking for books that deal with modern-era genocides like Rwanda or Kosovo. I enjoyed this one a lot (the title makes the book sound a lot more sensationalist than it actually is) and I'm looking for similar books that explore the historical background, chain of events and western involvement. It doesn't have to be just books, if you have good articles to recommend I'm interested too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Maya Fey posted:

I'm looking for books that deal with modern-era genocides like Rwanda or Kosovo. I enjoyed this one a lot (the title makes the book sound a lot more sensationalist than it actually is) and I'm looking for similar books that explore the historical background, chain of events and western involvement. It doesn't have to be just books, if you have good articles to recommend I'm interested too.

Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Roméo Dallaire was excellent. If you want more recommendations the Military History thread in Ask/Tell is where the experts hang out.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
How modern?

It looks more generally at genocides, but A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power looks at genocide in the 20th century, and the development of the idea of genocide as a thing. The first part deals with the Armenian genocide and the Holocaust and Rafael Lemkin's attempt to define genocide and get it considered a crime under international law.

The age looks at specific genocides, and the Amwrican response or non response to them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive been trying to find a book about native genocide in California, specifically. because we had work camps fight for the CSA out here, but it's very difficult to find reliable sources. the state government very much wants that kind of history to go away; we basically go 'oh yeah the spanish forcibly assimilated the coastal tribes into the missions and then by the time the gold rush happened all the land was empty ha ha'... but, like, you just have to find a rockface near a stream and chances are it's got a few giant chunks ground out of it from generations of people making acorn flour. and mysteriously almost all our reservations are for tribes that were originally from the great plains. theres even a kind of pine tree named 'digger pines' because of starving natives digging for grubs out of the exposed roots, but all this poo poo basically only exists in verbal history.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 25, 2019