Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Super Mario RPG currently, but this year was big for me for Nintendo 64 games. For 2019 I have completed: Mario 64, Goldeneye, Pilotwings, Kirby 64, Doom 64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Currently playing Ogre Battle 64, I am really enjoying this game a lot, but am I losing it or does this game start to repeat maps about half way through the campaign?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If memory serves, you will be revisiting a lot of areas on the map. Seems about right.

Yep! I finished the game today though. :toot: It was very good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished Vagrant Story today. It was an alright game, but I wish I had played it 20 years ago, instead of my first playthrough being this week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Some parts didn't age well? Or you would have enjoyed it more back in the day? Cause its shaping up that the latter may be true for me and Minish Cap. It's a good game but I wish I played it back when it was new and I was 15 and in a different mindset when it comes to video games. Just finished the water/ice dungeon btw.

A mix of both. Its one of the better aged PS1 games to be honest, and I like the graphical style it uses. But it could still use better controls and mechanics. I think Final Fantasy XII is an evolution of what Vagrant Story was trying to be. The game originally was even going to have AI team members, but that was dropped.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My current retro games are Xenogears, and Legend of Oasis. Xenogears is really amazing, and Oasis hasn't aged that well, but I am still enjoying it! For the remainder of this year I want to finish some Sega Saturn exclusive games, and Oasis is my first attempt that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished the Sega Saturn action/adventure game, Legend of Oasis.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

leper khan posted:

Huh. Didn't know beyond oasis had a sequel

I don't think pretty much anyone did. Beyond Oasis is a lot more well known, but even then neither game really has any sort of cult following or anyone that cares about either game or remembers them fondly in 2021. There is really nothing about either game that is that interesting or worth talking about too. The next Saturn game I am going to play is Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 16, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I do think both games look really nice, even in 2021, which is what drew me to wanting to play Legend of Oasis, but also felt the controls and combat haven't held up well. But I also played on an emulator that could have contributed to problems. The Saturn emulation scene is dead from what I can tell, or i'm not looking in the right places.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The United States posted:

The Japanese Saturn Emulator (Yabause) has been dead for years, yes (still surprisingly fast in many cases), but mednafen is still being developed.

For Mednafen, what UI addon do you recommend? If you use one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The United States posted:

RetroArch with the Beetle Saturn core

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Currently about 35 hours into Xenogears (its my first time playing it), and it's blowing my loving mind. This is my favorite PS1 era game right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sparq posted:

I'm playing Chrono Trigger for the first time and now I'm sorry I didn't play it a long time ago.

Better late than never as they say! I am so happy you're playing it, that is one of top five all time favorite video games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Xenogears. Holy gently caress what an unreal experience. Completely amazing and I loved every moment of playing it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Speaking of games where there’s nothing interesting or worth talking about…

I don't think i'll finish this game. I keep seeing it talked about as one of the best Saturn games, but I mean, that is a very low bar considering the size of the Saturn library.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core. I liked the story, especially the Yuffie side missions, but actually playing the game is terrible. Its better to just end up watching the cutscenes on Youtube, cause this game is an absolute slog to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was playing Phantasy Star Portable 2, but that game was painfully loving boring, so I moved onto Suikodan 2. This is my first time ever playing it. Also playing Soul Nomad & the World Eaters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Soul Nomad & the World Eaters. This game does a lot to fight you every step of the way with its strange team forming mechanics and confusing UI.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Suikoden 2 tonight. This was my first time playing this JRPG.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Thoughts?

As I continue my first time playthroughs of PlayStation 1 era JRPGs, I keep having to completely re-adjust my top list. Suikoden 2 is incredible. The music, story, characters, world. Just how fleshed out and polished everything is, the world feels immersive and believable. And for a JRPG of the era not made by SquareSoft, it felt very accessible. Nice pacing, and mechanics are available that help make getting all 108 characters feel obtainable if you want to do that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started on Legend of Dragoon this morning, and this game is really good so far!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Made it to Disc 4 today of Legend of Dragoon. Game is very good and addictive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy gently caress I finished Legend of Dragoon. Game is S tier one of the best JRPGs on PS1.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why is this a vampire (Wild Arms)?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started on Star Control II today. This is my first time ever playing this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Super Star Wars, and Empire Strikes Back on SNES. The the first game is really hard but still feels fair, the people that worked on ESB can burn in hell though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

King of Fighters XIII is my favorite looking of the series. That game is so pretty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Actraiser today! It was an alright game. I really liked the art style more than anything else. Going to play Illusion of Gaia next.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Star Wars Shadows of the Empire. Back to playing illusion of Gaia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sally posted:

gently caress yeah Shadows of the Empire. you get the Dash LivesTM ending?

I didn’t :( so I need to go back and get that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished Sonic CD last night, nice quick game to get through and easy add to my list of retro games I have completed for the first time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really enjoying Persona 1 so far. If I can complete this and Persona 2, then I want to play some of the other SMT games from that gen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished illusion of gaia. I loved it! This was such a fun and really well done RPG.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished Persona 1. :toot: It was an okay game, I can see how this was used as a foundation for the future games. The sequels improve upon this in every single way. Which version of Persona 2 do I want to play? There is Eternal Punishment, and Innocent Sin, and both are on PSP as well. Do I want to play the PSP versions or the PS1 version?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone have experience with playing Afrika on RPCS3 (PS3 Emulator)? I was wondering if there is anything for getting screen/texture flickering issues to go away, that is the only problem I am having with the game, otherwise it plays perfectly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Apparently taking photos for missions is also broken. The game won't recognize the animals you shoot, meaning you can't progress.

This has been fixed! I've been able to do a few missions with no issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would cry and then vomit if my PS3 ever died on me. I wish I could get a physical copy of Afrika, but they go for $200 now and there's no digital version you can purchase on PSN.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A friend of mine is playing Star Control II for the first time ever and they just started their stream of it on Twitch https://twitch.tv/karkalla

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

:yeshaha:

Game is still good, fun, and holds up reasonably well today. The Syreen probably aged the worst - while their backstory is interesting and it's cool to have a race with matrilineal hierarchies, their appearance is strictly male gaze - but everything else still sings. I still love the ship design: it is highly appropriate/entertaining that the most cowardly race's ship (the Spathi Eluder) is deadlier when running away than in a frontal assault.

I hope they become a Frungy fan! Huffi-Muffi-Guffi and all that, too.

She loved the game a ton, especially the dialog and alien races. Finished it yesterday and saved the galaxy. The next game Karkalla is going to play is Deus Ex, starting today (she plays retro games only on Twitch, and only first time playthroughs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is going to be interesting, Unreal 1 engine is very dated now and does not play well with modern computers, especially when mixed in with trying to stream on Twitch. She had a very difficult time getting the game to even start when setting it up last night.

https://strawpoll.com/polls/3RnYpKaEQye this is the poll they have going for the next game that will be played.