Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wa27 posted:

I rented Blast Corps once and that game has one built-in save slot. To erase it and start over, you have to hold the start button on console power-up, but there was no way to know this without the manual. So when I played it, all the levels were beat already.

you just reminded me that because i played chrono trigger first on a rental, trying to figure out what "new game+" meant was confusing as poo poo, because it kept asking for me to select a save file first and then went to the start of the game anyway. and then what's this shiny red thing in this pod OH GOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ah the good old days of renting games from Blockbuster and jumping for joy when you actually got one that hadn't had the manual stolen.

First was probably Super Metroid. I just had no clue. I remember not even realizing the purple orbs were health.

Resident Evil 3. I rented this with one of those special "rent one, get one free" deals. I forget what the other game was. Played for about 5 minutes and kept getting eaten by zombies because I couldn't find the shoot button. I got frustrated and played the other game for the rest of the rental period. I tried again on the last day before they had to be returned and discovered you had to press R1 + X to shoot. Proceeded to get obsessed and play it non-stop until it went back

Alxprit posted:

Quest 64 is probably a game I played and didn't really understand. I must have restarted it several times because I was never able to come up with a winning strategy. (Hint: It's to not play.)

I am one of about 3 people that loved Quest 64. I loved it so much I played it for a long time without a save pack. Meaning I started over every time I turned the N64 on...or died.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I used to think in Columns that that aim of the game was to get as many gems on screen as possible

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Travic posted:

I am one of about 3 people that loved Quest 64. I loved it so much I played it for a long time without a save pack. Meaning I started over every time I turned the N64 on...or died.

Hachi machi, for Quest 64?!

Space Shuttle Project on the NES. It sounded like a great idea, launch the shuttle, command a mission, build the space station, but was a confusing mess. NASA demanded astronauts manually drive elevators and flip switches while dodging obstacles then run into the shuttle with seconds to spare, or they'd scrap the launch.

The highlight was game over screens from the Nintendo Times newspaper, varying from "billion dollar shuttle destroyed as six year old mission commander doesn't understand reentry" to "trespasser arrested because he couldn't get past first screen of the game."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Between myself, my dad, my uncle, my sister and my grandad, we couldn't figure out how to land in Top Gun for the NES.

I also used to get lost all the time in Solstice and Manaic Mansion. Solstice because it was so odd and the isometric view was like nothing I'd ever controlled outside of an rts and Maniac Mansion because It just wander about and get scared if any of the family showed up.

Also I played Lifeforce Tenka on the psx and my health woukd be constantly draining and I still have no idea if I was doing something wrong or if it was just because it was a demo

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hachi machi, for Quest 64?!

Yep. Most runs would get to the first boss. I'd beat him then usually die on the way to the second city.

I was playing the shittiest rogue-like you've every seen and I loved it. I didn't find out until many, many years later that Quest 64 was universally reviled.

To keep this topical another game I had trouble with was The Last Starfighter on Atari. I hadn't seen the movie and we had no manual. All I knew was that I was in a ship and I shot at strange things in space and two bars would go down and if they got too low I had to go to the sun to make them go up. But not for too long or the ship would melt. Also sometimes I would just lose out of nowhere (I didn't know you were supposed to balance attacking the baddies and defending your home).

To be fair I was probably about under 10 years old at the time.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Deadly Towers for the NES. My cousin gave it to me for free since she hated it, and I played the poo poo out of it despite not making any progress whatsoever.

The bagpipe and accordion soundtrack and completely unmarked warps to random sections of the game were the icing on the cake.

I know it’s pretty universally reviled but I kinda love it, and there’s way worse poo poo out there on the NES.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Dragon's Lair on the C64.

Between the lack of intro, horrendous controls and awful graphics, yeah, I died a LOT.

To this day I don't think I ever got past the bit with the descending platform and the clouds that blew you off the drat thing.

gently caress this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXWsyXRMCQI
God yeah, same. I didn't have the instructions, and there was no visual indication, so I never knew what I was doing the wrong thing, or at the wrong time, or just not well enough.

Also, I could never grasp how the weapons in Armalyte worked, so I didn't get very far. I remember the instructions not helping, being full of talk of pods and crystals and batteries that I couldn't understand, and then in game it was just weird symbols, half of which didn't seem to do anything.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Travic posted:

I had the exact same experience with Body Harvest, another N64 game

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Julius CSAR posted:

I had the exact same experience with Body Harvest, another N64 game

Oh man Body Harvest. I was clueless but it was fun wandering the map and finding vehicles. It was neat to strafe the giant insects with the biplane. After the first level it became incomprehensible but good fun for a few hours.

Another is Hybrid Heaven for N64. Something about a government conspiracy so you go into the sewer to fight hand to hand with maintenance workers?

Operation Europe: Path to Victory for SNES. It’s the invasion of France! Watch animations of trucks shooting at each other for 20 minutes. 1% of the battle has completed!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Shoehead posted:

Between myself, my dad, my uncle, my sister and my grandad, we couldn't figure out how to land in Top Gun for the NES.

Having a kid on the playground saying he landed the plane in Top Gun was always the first clue they were a loving LIAR.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Acclaim's Star Voyager. There's a whole bunch of funky colored lights with little to no indication what they mean, you can shoot lasers but there's nothing there, and whenever you try to dock with a space station or land on a planet it jumps out of the way. Eventually you either run out of fuel and die with nothing having happened, or you chance into some enemies and get wrecked in seconds.

Years later I looked up what was going on and it's almost impressive for the NES but even when you know what to do it is by all accounts a terrible game.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Bilestoad. You're a guy in a fighting league or something and you can swing your axe and shield arms around and oh, look your arm fell off in a pool of blood.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I had no idea what the gently caress I was supposed to do in Shadowman.

also my dad had a friend who would give us pirated games and gave me Illbleed when I was in like grade 4.

I think I gave both of them about 10 minutes before just playing crazy taxi again.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Herzog Zwei for the Genesis. Someone already lost the manual when I rented it from Blockbuster. Therefore, I was confused as poo poo as a kid trying to figure this game out. My dad thought it was cool and kept re-renting it until we figured it out together and it's one of my all time favorites.

Turok for the N64. I can't loving see poo poo with this fog in front of me.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Snake Rattle & Roll for the NES. That game is a fever dream. You have to eat a bunch of pills by lapping them up with your tongue. The pills have increasingly bizarre modes of movement as the game progresses. You need to eat enough of them in order to jump on a carnival weight and hit a bell to open the door in each level. And the game is isometric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNJBMqYj4ZI

Oh, look at that. The enemy that I remembered being a hungry bear trap, is instead, a toilet lid.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30J2xs0_T9I

Some guy with an 80's sun visor helps the fairies rescue their princess who was captured by a mechanic. Enemies include generic aliens, robots, beetles that poo poo on you, and the occasional buddha statue. Every other level, you ride an animal themed ship and kill some gigeresque boss. Sometimes you rescue women in the bathtub from a flying robot head.

It's fun and I beat it like multiple times as a kid.

This was one of my favorites as a kid thanks for reminding me it exists.

The Magic of Scheherazade was an rpg I had as a kid but there were some part I got stuck at every time I tried to play through.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Zombie Nation is pretty bonkers.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Had a Milon's Secret Castle copy in Japanese.
Honestly, Japanese wasn't a problem, because I got stuck on the same place that many other did: that block you have to "push" in the first room.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oh, I just remembered another "what the gently caress?" C64 game!

Snare, by Thalamus.

You're in control of a ship which can only turn at right angles, there's holes in the floor you can fall through, random squares which launch you into the air, and you can lay down walls behind your ship which you can then easily crash into.

The best thing about it was it was presented as a futuristic gameshow, and when you won your prize was a Terry's Chocolate Orange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXdSqdfDGQ

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I'm going to say Infiltrator for the NES. The helicopter half of the game is bogged down with baffling controls and the infiltration half is the poorest of poor man's Metal Gear stealth.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Oh, I just remembered another "what the gently caress?" C64 game!

Snare, by Thalamus.

You're in control of a ship which can only turn at right angles, there's holes in the floor you can fall through, random squares which launch you into the air, and you can lay down walls behind your ship which you can then easily crash into.

The best thing about it was it was presented as a futuristic gameshow, and when you won your prize was a Terry's Chocolate Orange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXdSqdfDGQ

Wow I thought the ship was warping all over at random, then I realized it's the player turning the ship. Yikes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Origin posted:

I'm going to say Infiltrator for the NES. The helicopter half of the game is bogged down with baffling controls and the infiltration half is the poorest of poor man's Metal Gear stealth.

i played the dos version of the sequel and was very glad it let you skip to the infiltration part because the helicopter part was a load of nonsense, even with a giant bound manual telling you every random key you need to press before you can take off.

except i wasn't glad of that, because the infiltration part was just running around showing papers until somebody got mad and then gassing them.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I was originally going to put Ultima Exodus on the NES as my entry, but I think making sense of the world is kind of the point. If it had a Final Fantasy-esque battle system it would have been a much better game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Illusion of Gaia (SNES) was one of the first story-heavy games I ever played. I never owned it but I rented it a bunch. As a young kid I never quite followed what was happening in the plot and I was absolutely terrible at the game. I never got very far in it but something about the whole presentation from the sprite work and art direction to the music just captivated me and made me keep coming back to it.

Illusion of Gaia's story was probably influenced by the Japanese 90's X files/Mu/UFO/supernatural stuff craze, all of that stuff was huge there and goes a long way to explain why stories from 90's JRPGs were so weird and cool. Link's Awakening was based off of Twin Peaks, which was also very popular in Japan, and is another example.

Something like Dragon Quest is just insanely boring to me, I just don't give a poo poo about castles and dragons. I want the story to be some weird crap told in melodramatic, poorly translated dialogues.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I briefly had an Atari game from three decades ago where I started on the right side of some castle and repeatedly died to a monster that chased me after a bit of wandering. Couldn't remember the name if I tried.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I briefly had an Atari game from three decades ago where I started on the right side of some castle and repeatedly died to a monster that chased me after a bit of wandering. Couldn't remember the name if I tried.

Sounds like Thunder Castle on Intellivision.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Illusion of Gaia's story was probably influenced by the Japanese 90's X files/Mu/UFO/supernatural stuff craze, all of that stuff was huge there and goes a long way to explain why stories from 90's JRPGs were so weird and cool. Link's Awakening was based off of Twin Peaks, which was also very popular in Japan, and is another example.

Something like Dragon Quest is just insanely boring to me, I just don't give a poo poo about castles and dragons. I want the story to be some weird crap told in melodramatic, poorly translated dialogues.

Is that why the Flatwoods Monster shows up in a bunch of Japanese games.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Chrs posted:

I used to think in Columns that that aim of the game was to get as many gems on screen as possible

Haha, years ago when I was playing Columns against my older cousin, and his son was watching us play:

:v:: "Daddy, you're winning!"
:raise:: "Uh, why do you say that?"
:v:: "Because your tower is very tall, and Rollersnake's is so small!"

Panic Restaurant posted:

Deadly Towers for the NES. My cousin gave it to me for free since she hated it, and I played the poo poo out of it despite not making any progress whatsoever.

This was me with Castlevania 2 and Legacy of the Wizard as a kid. I've always had a soft spot for games that are bigger and more labyrinthine than they need to be. I didn't play Deadly Towers until after its reputation as the worst NES game ever was well established, but I kinda like it too. Played far enough to get 2 or 3 of the bells at least once.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Every game made by the company that made this game is surreal and fascinating to revisit, I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance to.

Quest 64 is probably a game I played and didn't really understand. I must have restarted it several times because I was never able to come up with a winning strategy. (Hint: It's to not play.)

the real winning strategy is to play the gbc version, which rebalances the magic system and adds an actual plot

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A family friend gave us Romance of the Three Kingdoms for NES and, well, that's just not a good game for a 5 year old who can't read to play!

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Apparently, in order to get through the first level of Alex Kidd in Hi Tech World, you needed to a) know that it was reskin of a game based on a Japanese Anime, b) have imported and watched said anime to get some clue on where an item was, and c) known what the gently caress an anime, or for that matter a Japan, even was.

Suffice to say, that was a bit of a big ask for a 6 year old kid in 1990.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Every text adventure game of the 80s, but I remember two of them among the limited selection of games for our Amiga growing up.

Wishbringer Apparently adults loved it, but 10 year old me had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Reading the synopsis now it seems simple, but I never got far in the game.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wishbringer?wprov=sfla1

Mindshadow another game that may have made sense for adults but as a kid I mostly scrolled through the few directions I could go in and then died in quicksand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindshadow_%28video_game%29?wprov=sfla1

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Return to Zork on PC. I foolishly thought all adventure games would be as great as Sam & Max. This was a bizarre kinda Myst knockoff with awful video clips of characters giving dialogue. The humor and acting was middle school level and the puzzles were incoherent.

One highlight is that you could hit any character with your sword and get a clip of the actor dying, after which a mysterious figure would confiscate your inventory but not end the game, although it was now unwinnable.

King’s Quest 5 on PC. One of the first adventure games I played at a cousin’s house but I was baffled by the story (had not read the manual). You’re the king but nobody cares and you have no money, and many citizens kill you on sight. We thought we were making progress by buying a pie then eating the pie, but nope can’t win now. I’m not saying it was a bad game, we had lots of fun with the variety of ways our hero could drown after wandering a foot into the ocean.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
King's Quest V was such a great pack-in game for my first computer that had a CD-ROM, as not only did it immediately demonstrate that even the best-looking game might completely suck, but it also taught me that sometimes it was better to acknowledge you would never play a game you owned and move on, than to try in vain over and over again to figure out how to care about (or indeed even understand what to do in) the game.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

King's Quest V was such a great pack-in game for my first computer that had a CD-ROM, as not only did it immediately demonstrate that even the best-looking game might completely suck, but it also taught me that sometimes it was better to acknowledge you would never play a game you owned and move on, than to try in vain over and over again to figure out how to care about (or indeed even understand what to do in) the game.

Oh for sure, it looked great and was fun to explore but the puzzles were terrible, you couldn’t try multiple item combos and win through attrition. Like if went in the bakery and saw the cat catch a mouse, that’s neat! Sorry, you were supposed to throw a boot at the cat and now the mouse won’t free you from the bandits half an hour from now and didn’t object to letting you save when you couldn’t win.

Police Quest 3 was way more fun, eventually you could make progress even if you are a dumb kid, plus it was had excessive pixel gore.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6t5kRGONQ8

Wing War on the Colecovision. I was probably six years old and bought it with my allowance at a tag sale. No box, no manual, just the cartridge. I had no idea what the objective was, but flying around as the dragon was so fun that I didn’t even really care. They did a good job programming the physics so the dragon really feels like he has weight and momentum to him. Also the open world map was a new concept to me at the time that I thought was awesome, even though it was really probably only like 15 screens. I’d pop the cartridge in every now and then just to wing around for a while.

cap-n-crunch
Dec 29, 2008

A garden of modest ambition.
I tried to play Yar's Revenge at my cousin's house as a kid. I couldn't tell what the hell was going on.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pastamania posted:

Apparently, in order to get through the first level of Alex Kidd in Hi Tech World, you needed to a) know that it was reskin of a game based on a Japanese Anime, b) have imported and watched said anime to get some clue on where an item was, and c) known what the gently caress an anime, or for that matter a Japan, even was.

Suffice to say, that was a bit of a big ask for a 6 year old kid in 1990.

Holy poo poo I had blocked this out of my memory. Is that wtf was up with that? I rented it at around that same age, after liking Alex Kiddd in Miracle World and was just incredibly confused and dissapointed.

This looks Cool and Good and I will probably boot it up on an emulator later.

field balm fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, I watched this for a few minutes and now I am 100% convinced this game deserves an award for being the most unexpected insane nonsense from a Nintendo-era game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDMNEBv-4Hw

(yes I am sure that is not true, but boy, as soon as the map-to-get-to-the-arcade-in-the-next-town is interrupted by a quiz about the Olympics you know you are in for a treat)