Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

There are 1.2 mil people who just leave their TVs on Fox Friday nights so their dogs feel like someone is at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pretty clear that the low rating is Gable's fault for not trying enough with the Shorty G gimmick.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Dacap posted:

There are 1.2 mil people who just leave their TVs on Fox Friday nights so their dogs feel like someone is at home.

Real talk, god, I bet and know this is actually a thing.

When they did 4 million for the debut...how many just left the TV on so Aunt Barbara had noise in the house.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Seams posted:

Congrats to WWE who will somehow be the most financially successfully wrestling company in the history of the planet this year despite being run by a bunch of sociopathic nincompoomps and having the worst programming of all time that only a vanishingly small minority of mostly over-50s watch.

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1188913346038456321

I just enjoyed the headline they went with
https://twitter.com/PWInsidercom/status/1188915460563189760

rovert fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 28, 2019

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Benne posted:

Smackdown on FS1 did 888k, less than every episode of Dynamite so far

lmao

Mother of god

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
E: never mind

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The GIF in the OP has revealed the answer to all of WWE’s problems, the main event of Wrestlemania must be...

The Miz vs the corpse of the Ultimate Warrior

Gotta be honest, I would tune in for that. Hell, I’d probably even buy a month sub to the Network for that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I still want to know how they managed to convince Fox to pay them a jillion dollars for something that hasn't gained viewers in like 20 years.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

Smackdown on FS1 did 888k, less than every episode of Dynamite so far

lmao

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

I still want to know how they managed to convince Fox to pay them a jillion dollars for something that hasn't gained viewers in like 20 years.

because the rest of linear tv is doing even worse

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Oh my god the defenses on it too are just hilarious. Dem boots were made for lickin.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fox lost UFC and they were in the right place at the right time for a rebound for that same demo, they both believed at the time

Now the belief has to be "the freefall will stop at some point", which 1) I wouldn't bet on, and 2) even if it did, "at some point" ain't necessarily "anytime soon"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they just lost UFC and needed to fill that niche in the demos, and right now any kind of sports or sports adjacent programming is highly valued due to being perceived as less DVRd than other shows. it's a large part of the reason things like Alliance and XFL (Which will be airing games on FOX and FS1) are getting a chance on television again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vertical Lime posted:

WWE's ratings have tanked way harder than TV in general.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It kinda makes sense that most viewers just see WWE is background noise and only the hardcore fans who have had their brains broken by years of exposure to the poo poo Vince's deranged mind comes up with would actually go out of their way to watch Smackdown.

With that said, holy lol they got smoked by a tshirt company lmao forever.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hahahahahahaha

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

BGrifter posted:

The GIF in the OP has revealed the answer to all of WWE’s problems, the main event of Wrestlemania must be...

The Miz vs the corpse of the Ultimate Warrior

Gotta be honest, I would tune in for that. Hell, I’d probably even buy a month sub to the Network for that.

Vince would put over the corpse

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

This has already been proven wrong multiple times but for a refresher course for those this is New Info to:

First quarter 2016 to first quarter 2017: Raw down at twice the pace of other USA programming, at thrice the pace of other top 25 cable networks

Fourth quarter 2017 to fourth quarter 2018 (I forget the exact time but the Fox deal was signed either before or during 4Q2018): Raw and SD both down at thrice the pace of other USA programming, at double the pace of other top 25 cable networks

First quarter 2018 to first quarter 2019: Raw and SD both down at over double the pace of other top 25 cable networks

TL;DR TV in general may not be doing great, but it ain't doing near as bad at near the speed all WWE has been doing recently

All images comes from WWE's own accounts

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dacap posted:

Vince would put over the corpse

i mean he's been doing so since 1990

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
improved to a decline

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

WWE sure loves naming black guys “Jordan”

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Imagine taking time out of your day to actively defend a huge company that thinks you're an idiot for watching their programs and actively shits on you for doing so while giving you a terrible product because they think you know what you want better than you do

The levels of broken brains are off the charts

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm sure smackdown will have a skit next where they use a wrestler as a stand in for the audience and tell them how dumb and stupid they are for not appreciating good poo poo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

WWE sure loves naming black guys “Jordan”

he pitched the name. it's meant to be a reference to mj and miles morales. it's a part of building his own brand to be a role model, something he's been doing his entire career.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The levels of broken brains are off the charts
WWE citizens, heh

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

more than half of the people who watched Smackdown changed the channel when the other WWE show FS1 airs came on right after it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dave sounds loving stupid as gently caress every time he talks about the wwe 'loading up' their shows 'with stars' when its been like 3-4 years at minimum since they had a star

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

he pitched the name. it's meant to be a reference to mj and miles morales. it's a part of building his own brand to be a role model, something he's been doing his entire career.

I stand corrected. I’m still feeling burnt by “Apollo Crews.”

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

God drat, that's catastrophic.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall of the meetings that must be happening.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Super No Vacancy posted:

dave sounds loving stupid as gently caress every time he talks about the wwe 'loading up' their shows 'with stars' when its been like 3-4 years at minimum since they had a star

I mean as far as WWE is concerned they are loading up with stars. The only bigger names they could get in their (Vince's) eyes is getting the rock and stone cold to show up again randomly.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Hogan and Flair segment did much better than the rest of the show too when they brought em back recently, obviously the impact is lessened the more often you go back to that well tho.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

then he should tell them to stop calling Ricochet the real life spider-man in every match

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WWE Universe Brain

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://gfycat.com/chillylongairedaleterrier

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If Ricochet’s a real life spider man he should keep a mic nearby so he can make cheesy quips between moves

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Even the WWE base that always tunes in on Cable for Smackdown couldn't be bothered to set their DVR to record on FS1. More people watched AEW Dark on YouTube than Smackdown last week....

888,000 people bothered to watch Smackdown, yet some of these segments on YouTube exceeded those numbers

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

YouTube numbers are global and fake

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The crazy thing is a lot of Fox affiliates around the country rebranded themselves as "the station for sports" pushing the WWE hard as one of those sports.

There's some theory that Fox is going to go hard after the NBA in three years with the idea of bringing regular season weeknight games back to network TV but I wonder if this puts a dent in that or WWE (rightfully) takes the brunt of the blame.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Real talk, god, I bet and know this is actually a thing.

When they did 4 million for the debut...how many just left the TV on so Aunt Barbara had noise in the house.

I know Neilsen has tried to do things like measure active viewing but I don't know how successful that's been and I don't recall anyone sharing the numbers.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Low Desert Punk posted:

tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down

kimochi warui