Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Stage 5 on the Gameboy Battletoads game (Not a port of the NES one but its own original slice of hell) has you race against a bouncing brain chasing you through a fairly long corridor with no checkpoints. The brain has its own health bar like every other boss you've encountered so far and it slowly drops down until you reach the end of the stage where it dies. Get hit by it, and you die instantly. The entire stage requires you to play it virtually perfectly in order to make it through, and the original Gameboy's screen does not help in any way. Neither does the screen shaking as the brain bounces.

Battletoads was one of the two Gameboy games I had for some time (the other one was Megaman 1) and that stage was always where I got stuck until I cheesed it with a Game Genie. On anything besides the original GB it's not as bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the original game boy screen was so bad lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Man with Hat posted:

Actually, that glitch isn't there in the PAL version. I have two copies of it and it works fine on both. The level is so much more loving difficult as two players though that the best way to beat it is still to just game over with one of them. The level is hard enough as is but when you're two players the player 2 toad starts further back in a race, if one person fails both have to start over and it's way harder to know when to change directions when you're close to each other.

I plan on getting a cheap ish US NES and US Battletoads once we finally loving finish this european one (me and my friend both have real life stuff and only play sporadically and only ever together, now in a almost ten year slow crawl towards the finish), just to see how much harder it is.

The US and European versions are almost identical. They made one minor adjustment at the beginning of the seventh level but that's it. The Japanese version is the much easier one.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
These guys weren't bosses but they were the worst part of the game:

Everything else in Serious Sam was pretty fun to fight but the Kleer skeletons can gently caress right off. Their projectile is just annoying and can be hard to see, their melee attack can reach just slightly too far, and they take just slightly too much damage to kill. If you could waste them with one regular shotgun blast, every Serious Sam game would be 25% better automatically.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Animal-Mother posted:

Everything else in Serious Sam was pretty fun to fight but the Kleer skeletons can gently caress right off. Their projectile is just annoying and can be hard to see, their melee attack can reach just slightly too far, and they take just slightly too much damage to kill. If you could waste them with one regular shotgun blast, every Serious Sam game would be 25% better automatically.

I mean, you can. A good double barreled shotgun blast will kill a kleer but that doesn't change the fact that it's the worst enemy since there are usually more than one of the fuckers.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Man with Hat posted:

I mean, you can. A good double barreled shotgun blast will kill a kleer but that doesn't change the fact that it's the worst enemy since there are usually more than one of the fuckers.

Oh, the double barrel will take them out. At point blank range, when fifty of them are swarming you.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Kraid from the original Metroid. That tiny little fucker that hit like a truck, fired missiles that blocks my weapons, so the only way I ever figured out was to just get up into his balls and damage race him. Sometimes I'd win.

gently caress Kraid.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I just made it to the final boss of Final Fantasy and its very first action was an instant death party-wipe.

So I nominate that thing. What a loving waste of time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

magikid posted:

I just made it to the final boss of Final Fantasy and its very first action was an instant death party-wipe.

So I nominate that thing. What a loving waste of time.

Shoulda had prorings. I'd say the worst part of FF1's final boss is his ability to heal himself fully as a single action. That he's guaranteed to use at some point if you don't kill him fast enough.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom's final boss was pretty terrible. Sick tunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn45hYpl4_M but garbage fight.

It had 2 attacks. The first was an aoe damage spell that did decent but easy to heal damage to the entire group. The second was an aoe confuse spell that couldn't miss, and made the afflicted kill your own party. The only real viable strategy was have the one character that could use the mirror spell every single turn just to avoid the confuse. You'd also avoid the damage spell, but that didn't matter compared to not killing yourself.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Shiva on Streets of Rage 2 if you play on the secret Mania difficulty setting. Technically a sub-boss but drat, so many playthroughs ended right there...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

These could be bastards, but its the flying teleporting hitscan assholes that turn up in SS3 (I think) were worse.
Trying to find what random point around you that they appeared at, all while dodging ground troops.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the living wall in og FF2 for the SNES kicked my rear end constantly unless I was overleveled

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I've tried replaying FFIV three times in the last ten years or so and each attempt ended at that loving wall, like it's the world's shittiest metaphor

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Any boss in The Amazing Spider-Man for Game Boy. They're all amazingly poo poo.

The game itself is already a bit of a turd (I explicitly remember a relative describing it as "absolute poo!" shortly after getting Game Over way back in the early 90s), with bosses that invariably rank 7 or higher on the snore-o-meter. Each and every one of them is a pretty tedious exercise which is little more than repeating/working around a basic pattern. Thankfully the first three give up and explode fairly fast, but then you get to Rhino.

The toughest thing about this fight is staying awake.

In addition to his braindead strategy of running from left to right (with painfully slow acceleration), Rhino actually takes some punishment before expiring, and is also immune to web shots, so you have to get up close to damage him with a few smacks to the mouth. The whole fight is little more than following Rhino as he moseys from side-to-side, giving him a jab to his already-flat nose, jumping over him as he begins his next jog, then following him again fast enough to repeat the process. It's just a miserable experience.

HOWEVER.

The one that really takes the biscuit is the penultimate boss fight against Doctor Octopus. This encounter is just so loving ball-achingly, mind-numbingly boring; Doc shuffles "menacingly" from (you guessed it) side-to-side attempting to pinch at Spidey's head and gentials with his robotic tentacles, although unlike Rhino he will at least have the know-how to change direction without reaching the side of the screen first if you get behind him. In short, it's near enough the same fight you had against Rhino but with a more active enemy, albeit barely.

Electrifying setpiece.

That upper platform is there to add needless complications to an already infuriating experience on your mission to get on Octavius' weak side to slap him around.

"But wait!", says nobody because this is a boring ramble covering a crappy game nobody really gives a poo poo about, "Wouldn't it be easier to lure him over to the right, then drop back down on the left side and web him to death as he makes his way back?" The answer is yes, it is indeed easier and by far safer, but it just takes so god drat long to chip away at his health with the web that nobody in their right mind would ever bother with it. That, and the web would probably run out. Even luring him like that in order to give some space to retreat as you punch him from the left constantly takes forever and a day.

Somewhat embarrassingly in hindsight, this boss was the cause of many Game Over moments when I was a kid for a couple of reasons; the first is that the upper platform is awkwardly placed. When attempting to pass from right-to-left I'd often either jump too early and watch as Spidey cracked his skull on the ledge, or I'd hit the jump button too late to void such an event. In either case, Spider-Man would fall off the building, and as he unreasonably loses the ability to websling after leaving the bottom of the screen, a life is lost too. The other reason is that I'd just lose my patience and attempt to beat the good doctor to death with raw spider strength in a damage-trade. This would never work though because this version of Spider-Man has some of the slowest, weakest punches imaginable and in return the amount of damage you take from this fucker is absolutely obscene. There's practically no mercy invulnerability after taking a hit either. You just watch the health bar drain all the way in two seconds as you're greeted with the image of Spider-Man slumping to the floor as he slips into a narcoleptic coma dies horribly several times.

Then you take the cart out of the Game Boy and throw it into the fireplace. gently caress this game, and especially the bosses.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i was clever enough as a kid to avoid licensed superhero type games but a friend wanted to get rid of that spiderman game for what seemed like a bargain so i bought it off him. man was it poo poo. i could never figure out how to do a high jump vs a low jump. it's probably the only outright poo poo game i ever owned on a cart

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom's final boss was pretty terrible. Sick tunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn45hYpl4_M but garbage fight.

It had 2 attacks. The first was an aoe damage spell that did decent but easy to heal damage to the entire group. The second was an aoe confuse spell that couldn't miss, and made the afflicted kill your own party. The only real viable strategy was have the one character that could use the mirror spell every single turn just to avoid the confuse. You'd also avoid the damage spell, but that didn't matter compared to not killing yourself.

I have fond memories of this game, but yeah, gently caress the final boss. Also, gently caress having cures for things be named the thing it cured. Oh, how do you cure poison? You the item "poison". I also remember grinding to beat the boss by killing those cube things. The overworld music is still stuck in my head almost 30 years later.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Rolling Thunder only has one boss, and it's either a complete loving joke or an unrewarding exercise in frustration.

Meet "Maboo".

That's him, the pale fucker in the blue robe. Why is this boss terrible? Because he does only one thing, and that is run straight at you.

Maboo takes somewhere around 25 bullets before he disappears into his dressing gown, ending the game. In order to make this easy for yourself, you need the Machinegun and a half-decent stock of ammo as you reach this boss, in which case you just hold down the fire button and Maboo loving melts before he even gets close. That alone has him qualify as a terrible boss. However, seeing that this is Rolling Thunder and you'll be shooting the ever-loving poo poo out of anything that moves, getting to Maboo with enough ammo and the Machinegun demands almost perfect play from the start of the level to the end, else you're stuck with the pistol, resulting in some awful loop where you're constantly jumping over the fucker as he charges around and desperately trying to get as many pistol shots off as possible between jumps without loving the timing up and dying immediately. While this sounds like an interesting fight and a test of reaction/judgement, it's really not that sort of thing at all, instead showing itself immediately as a way to quickly kill you off so that you (or some other poor sap) throws more money into the machine. I really like the game for it's presentation and style -- even if it is an unrelenting piece of poo poo with unspeakably cheap difficulty in the level design -- but Maboo truly is one poo poo boss and an absolute let down of an encounter no matter how you end up fighting him.

Shibawanko posted:

i was clever enough as a kid to avoid licensed superhero type games but a friend wanted to get rid of that spiderman game for what seemed like a bargain so i bought it off him. man was it poo poo. i could never figure out how to do a high jump vs a low jump. it's probably the only outright poo poo game i ever owned on a cart
A high jump requires you to walk a few steps first, then hold down the jump button. Hardly the most intuitive approach and also rear end-loving-backward when you consider how some of the levels are designed. Not enough room on this ledge for a run-up? Too bad fucko, time to die.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2020

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Oh let's talk about Xenogears bosses shall we?

There are a few that are pretty nasty. Like busted Deus, who has an attack that halves everyone's HP (including his own) but can also crash the game.

Or Hammer, the only boss fight you can run away from, because if you don't kill him fast enough, he explodes and you likely die.

But the worst has to be the one-two punch of Amphysvena and Opiomorph.

Amp opens up with an attack that reduces the HP of all your giant robots to 1. Better have healing systems equipped, because that's the only way to regain gear HP, and it'll eat up all your fuel. And if you can't kill him fast enough, he can do it more than once.

This is followed up by Opiomorph, who powers up every time you hit her, and then unleashes a party-wide ether attack, before returning her stats to normal. You go into this battle low on fuel and hp, and she can utterly body you if you go in too hard. But at lest you can turtle up fairly well.

But the real crime is the unskippable fifteen minutes of cutscene before the two fights.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is why you equip the Chargers. The Z Charger refills 500 hundred extra fuel a turn. Guess how much gets refilled at Level Infinity?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

That is why you equip the Chargers. The Z Charger refills 500 hundred extra fuel a turn. Guess how much gets refilled at Level Infinity?

Oh yeah I know, still, would you think to do that your first time playing the game?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My first thought on charging fuel was that it sucked and I needed something to improve it. Got an A Charger. I didn't know about the gear level charging more fuel per turn until later. I was like, woah.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Teleport...kill a spawn...teleport...kill a spawn...teleport...kill a spawn...teleport...kill a spawn...teleport...kill a spawn...
Is this fucker ever going to die?!?!.........teleport...kill a spawn...teleport...

Oh poo poo its dead? Er...yay? What did I do?

----

HOW THE gently caress DO I GET PAST THIS, I AM 8 YEARS OLD YOU gently caress

It actually bugged for me when I was crying - I magically got pushed up to top platform and my misery was over.

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 8, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

HOW THE gently caress DO I GET PAST THIS, I AM 8 YEARS YOU gently caress

It actually bugged for me when I was crying - I magically got pushed up to top platform and my misery was over.
It's simple, you just need to push up and down while on it to make it move farther, until you can get to wheverr it's blocking you from!

You know, something you don't need to do anywhere else in the game.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jesus H. Christ I genuinely forgot about this thing. What an absolute waste of polygons.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

HOW THE gently caress DO I GET PAST THIS, I AM 8 YEARS YOU gently caress

Oh yeah, this confused the hell out of me back when I first played this way back in April

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That thing's so infamous it probably in this thread already, and I had to check to see that it wasn't on page one

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't believe I forgot the Nihilanth in Half-Life about two or so years ago after the latest updates. Fight giant baby, teleport into it, kill spawns, teleport, kill spawns, teleport trap, fall to your death. I don't know how people tolerated this design decision and I reloaded more than 30 times because of unavoidable deaths. I guess I needed to use that Gluon(?) gun to push myself to that water.
There were teleports that either dropped you near water to get dunked in or right over the ground and break my everything. Had to scum teleports.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That thing's so infamous it probably in this thread already, and I had to check to see that it wasn't on page one
I don't think it has been, but it's not actually a boss.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't believe I forgot the Nihilanth in Half-Life about two or so years ago after the latest updates. Fight giant baby, teleport into it, kill spawns, teleport, kill spawns, teleport trap, fall to your death. I don't know how people tolerated this design decision and I reloaded more than 30 times because of unavoidable deaths. I guess I needed to use that Gluon(?) gun to push myself to that water.
There were teleports that either dropped you near water to get dunked in or right over the ground and break my everything. Had to scum teleports.

I beat the Nihilanth by glitching into some location (inside its head maybe?) and shooting at some indecipherable object until I won. I had no idea what was happening, and I still honestly have no clue how the fight is actually supposed to go.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I'm gonna go with FF3's Garuda, if only because beating a boss fight shouldn't be entirely up to chance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Carnival Night barrel was so infamous that apparently the Sega Helpline's initial automated message specifically included how to get past it.

Zereth posted:

It's simple, you just need to push up and down while on it to make it move farther, until you can get to wheverr it's blocking you from!

You know, something you don't need to do anywhere else in the game.

It feels like a harbinger of things to come that in an otherwise pretty tightly designed game, they make the rookie mistake of including a mandatory mechanic which works completely differently from everything else in the game that otherwise involves a very limited set of inputs, with no even implicit tutorialising.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The final boss of Breakdown has a multipart interactive cutscene (probably 30~45 seconds or so) before a suicide run to pick up the item you need to beat. You then have approximately 2 seconds to deduce what you need to do to even hurt it and then several, several more retries because literally only one combo in the game can kill him fast enough to win in the one shot you get.

Did you drop the combo? Start over! Did you get hit at literally any point before picking up the item? Start over! Did it take you too long to find them so your combo didnt finish in time? Start over!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Barudak posted:

The final boss of Breakdown has a multipart interactive cutscene (probably 30~45 seconds or so) before a suicide run to pick up the item you need to beat. You then have approximately 2 seconds to deduce what you need to do to even hurt it and then several, several more retries because literally only one combo in the game can kill him fast enough to win in the one shot you get.

Did you drop the combo? Start over! Did you get hit at literally any point before picking up the item? Start over! Did it take you too long to find them so your combo didnt finish in time? Start over!

:getin:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Remember the old way Minecraft's Ender-dragon battle went? Before they added all the mechanics where it lands and breathes fire and whatnot?

Minecraft's final battle and ending have always been about as well-thought-out as the rest of the modern Minecraft gameplay experience, which is to say, not at all. First, you spawn in a completely unfamiliar dimension where the boss lives, and without hesitation it comes after you, but you can't see it. That's because it's flying THROUGH the ground. Once it hits you, you're launched extremely far, high enough to kill you, and likely off of the spawn island.

Either you spawned inside a cave with almost no visibility to see it coming, or you're out in the open on a floating island with infinite fall drops all around. "Infinite fall drop" is not a mechanic the game showed you prior to this point, but it's the very first mechanic you encounter in the game that guarantees irreversible loss of your entire inventory you spent the whole game customizing.

e: Here's the fucker:

If you knew about all of that already, and were prepared to quickly run to safety on arrival, great -- but now the actual part I want to discuss happens. Damaging the boss. You effectively can't damage the dragon until destroying a bunch of targets on top of high pillars. At some point, cages were added to surround the targets so that you can't blow them up from a distance with arrows.

So how do you get up there? Well, it sucks. In this dimension, you can't place water, the previous safest method of climbing and falling. Instead you have to slowly tower up, by building. But also in this dimension, nothing that you build lasts for long. The dragon is constantly running into you, and your construction so far, and it erases whatever it touches instantly. You fall down and either die or have to start over. Again and again, because the dragon flies back to you on a timer that runs out in less time than it takes to build up a tall enough stairway to climb the highest pillars.

Because of this challenge, beating this fight for your first time drags on as an extremely tedious process for upwards of an hour, even if you're good enough and well-equipped enough to avoid dying. When you finally beat the game, the emotion is exhaustion and relief and "I'm never doing this again".

Once you reach them and break open the cage, Of COURSE the targets blow up when you try to hit them too, with unprecedented damage of any other explosion in the game. Hope you brought arrows to this dimension, and haven't already lost them down the infinite drop on a previous death.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 9, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Zereth posted:

I don't think it has been, but it's not actually a boss.

Would have made a good shitpost tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The worst part of this post is Ive beaten this game no less than 3 times so this is all burned in my brain. Its not the only poo poo boss, the Helicopter is an absolute bastard too. God I love Breakdown.

As is the fact there is a checkpoint bug in the final area where as far as I can tell the first time you clear the final checkpoint it doesn't save a checkpoint so you have to do it twice to get it to save.

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
Been mentioned a few times already, but it bears repeating. Yellow Devil sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Crinklepouch posted:

Been mentioned a few times already, but it bears repeating. Yellow Devil sucks.
As much as I love the original Mega Man (complete with the oddities like wonky physics, a score and generally being more of a tech demo for MM2), after so many years of it I'm just loving done with fighting Yellow Devil "fairly"; it's just time-consuming and tedious pattern memorisation where even one mistake throws a cat among the pigeons and really fucks things up. So to hell with it. I'm mashing that Select button and making the bastard vanish ASAP.

At least it's nowhere near as bad in Mega Man 3.