Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Funktor posted:

I've got a multicade cab with a couple of the JAMMA wires broken. Do I need to order an entire JAMMA board replacement just to get my hands on a couple of spare wires / clips?

Not sure what you mean by JAMMA board, but you can just replace or solder the bad wires. Can you post a picture of what you mean exactly? If it's just a bad wire, you can run new wire and connect it to your existing JAMMA connector.

EDIT: Go here for supplies:

http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=177_184

Look for wire, and "push in terminals for edge connector", you will need wire and probably a tool to crimp these onto the wire. Might be cheaper to buy a pre-connected loop if a bunch of wires are bad, but then again, it never hurts to have tools on hand.

XtraSmiley fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Arcades that don't keep up with their game controls are poo poo. I would ask the manager about it. Usually, if the game is in good condition, calibration shouldn't be hard to do, however it really could be a difficult fix, depending. Still, it's their job to provide a machine that works correctly, so it's on them.

It's a pet peeve to hit so many "retro" arcades that are popping up and they do an absolute poo poo job with their machines. Many have moved to LCDs for the displays (which is loving terrible) but on top of that, they do stupid ship like display the game in the wrong aspect ratio... TMNT and SIMPSONS seem to be the worst offenders. I'm in St Louis and a bar near the Cardinals stadium is the worst offender. Half the games don't have working joysticks or buttons, probably the easiest thing to keep working/fix on any arcade machine.

Rant over.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Boxman posted:

Oh hey what’s up stl goon

Have you been to the place in the CWE yet? It looks all nice and shiny but I haven’t had a chance to check it out. PS RIP our round 1 not opening until 2021

No, I say STL, but sadly I'm in IL in a poo poo town near the base I'm stationed at. Also, I have my own arcade, so it's hard to go to lovely ones anymore because I'm sad for the state of games.

Do you recommend the CWE one? I'll check it out next year!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

flyboi posted:

And no I did not destroy an original game with that case, it was a really lovely bootleg.

Really? What game? I wasn't aware of any PGM bootlegs.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah, that's not a bootleg, that's a conversion to a hack.

A bootleg is a PCB made in a factory that is a copy of the real deal, at times with completely different chips, at times cheaper chips, and the layout could be completely different.

A conversion is when they take the PCB and change out the EPROMs/ROMs to a modified/different game.

As far as I know, there is no bootleg of any PGM carts, although there are a lot of weird conversions/hacks.

But thanks for the pics!

EDIT: Technically, your new Cave shooter is a bootleg... but a pretty sweet one!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

flyboi posted:

Ah true, there just isn't much value when the original eprom/maskrom were taken out from KoV considering how cheap they are to begin with. Either way I built Ketsui yesterday and transplanted the switch case for that one since it turns out DDP3 didn't need the switch. Might post pictures later, not sure yet depending on how big of a trainwreak it is as my helper isn't much of a help but I am probably tate-ing the Net City today if anyone was curious of the process involved.

Freaking nice! I'm jealous! I need so badly to get a candy cab and tate it when I do...

Also, I'm not sure the KoV actually had mask ROMs, it might have, but seeing as how they are Chinese (Taiwanese to be more specific) made, maybe they were always EPROMS! Maybe I'll bust mine open to take a look.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

*Looks up Golden Axe · The Revenge of Death Adder pcb's and drools*

I have two of them, it's awesome, get a Supergun and join us...

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Very nice! I'm one of the few that prefer the first one over the TiT, but hey, I love me that music...

I also love the HAS, I'm a BIG fan. Nice set up!

What joystick are you using?

I just picked up TWO 36" Sony Wega TVs for free over the last month. They are HUGE and HEAVY, in fact, one broke my table (my fault really), fell on my HAS with Strikers 1945 plugged in and damaged the plastic, but HAS and PCB mostly fine.

Anyway, what's cool is I set one up vert, yes, a 220lb TV vert, and it's awesome. I'm looking around for some proper furniture set up right now...

Then I plugged in ESPGaluda 2... oh so nice...

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

here's a poem i wrote about PCB prices in 2020

[05:23PM] <dos> cock head https://www.ebay.com/itm/113806973344
[05:24PM] <dos> idiot https://www.ebay.com/itm/113829043982
[05:24PM] <dos> complete douche https://www.ebay.com/itm/174149987720
[05:25PM] <dos> fuckboy https://www.ebay.com/itm/114053926449
[05:26PM] <dos> aaaaaaghhrghrgh https://www.ebay.com/itm/174146980621

Yeah, that guy always puts his poo poo super high, usually 2-4x going rate, then will sell to you at 25% "off" and tell you it's a deal. I have no idea how people buy from him. I guess if you don't want to wait.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

yeah he's been around forever except normally he just had mostly trash (and it was still overpriced) now he has a bunch of actually desirable games and you know some idiots are going to buy them and drive up the prices until basically every good game is cavebucks. it's infuriating because he has some stuff I've been looking for for years, pretty much the last few boards I need to never buy a PCB again

Oh poo poo, I guess now you have to post your wants list...

I'll post mine if you post yours! :)

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

flyboi posted:

Mine's pretty short :o:
Knights of Valour 2 PGM2
System 16 set
System 1 CPU board
Aime card reader w/ blast city cables
Taito spinner panel for blast city
ZN-2 games

Nice, KoV2 is good, but I like Oriental Legend 2 better!

I have all the S16 games I want, but have considered the S16 multi to save money?

What is the Zn-2?!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

The stuff I linked up there plus a few $insane boards like battle bakraid and air gallet (I actually have something along these lines on the way to me thanks to a lucky opportunity), generally hard to find games like kiki kaikai, drift out 94, some other stuff. the multigame options for the more popular systems has really narrowed it down, that stuff is a huge blessing to this hobby. I'm starting to get into CPS1 multi, ST-V multi etc.

For sure man. Here is my remaining stuff:

Battletoads (I have this, but need another for a friend)
Blade Master
Denjin Makai
Dungeon Magic
Dynamite Dux
Hachoo!
Judge Dredd (the brawler) (think I just scored this)
Monster Maulers
Mystic Warriors
Night Slashers (again, have one, need another)
Ninja Clowns
Punisher
Rabbit
Sailor Moon Pretty Soldier
SegaSonic The Hedgehog
Spiderman (System 32 mainboard must have Spiderman sticker, not just the ROM board)
Undercover Cops
Cave or Toaplan shooters, or any shooter that is similar!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

While I don't have the money, I would really like to own a Rush'n Attack cab one day.

I would like to... uhhh... find a Rush'n Attack cab to play someday, too.

Don't know about the cab, but picked up a like new RA PCB with joystick and buttons. It's an OK game for about 10 minutes. I don't see the draw of it, maybe repetition?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

What's the best way to neutralize and? I've removed a bunch of batteries, but never wiped the spot down!?!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Sentimental draw. My “Round Table Pizza 1985” reconstruct demands it.

Sorry I did this to your wallet...

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=464249

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Awesome man, I hope the recap does it!

When you say vinegar, like, what kind? Grocery store? White? Etc.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Wait, so I have a G-Darius ver 2 motherboard (not ROM board) and attached to it I have Raystorm ROM board. I also have a GNET motherboard and some crappy game ROM. Can I sell the G-Darius motherboards and just plug Raystorm into the GNET motherboard?

These were all drunk purchases and I didn't mean to get them all. I only wanted the GNET board so I could run the games off of home purchased cards, but I got a little crazy...

I also do not like Raystorm that much, I prefer pixel shooters not polygon ones!

Also, thanks for the great write up, I'll have to take some time and dig my boards out to check them out.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Erev posted:

So I grew up mostly with horizontal games - silly things like Sunset Riders, the Simpsons, Metal Slug, and fighting games and that's the sort of thing that I'd be looking for. Some of the classics or an early bullet hell would also be fun of course. Do the multigame setups work as well as the boards or close to? Where would one look for stuff like that?

Thank you for your response!

Sunset Riders, The Simpsons, Metal Slug, and bullet hell shooters.

Man, I've got great news for you, your childhood nostalgia is unique to you, and as a result all these games are dirt cheap, and basically next to free!

No wait, that was 20 years ago, unfortunately, you and everyone your age has put these games in serious demand. See NES, SNES, and slowly 32-bit generation console games. The cheapest game you listed is Sunset Riders, which can still be had sub $250.

Snark off! :)

Multi-game set ups work exactly like the real thing, because they are the real thing, as long as it's a legitimate one, such as the Darksoft/Terraonion MVS/AES cart, the Darksoft CPS2 or CPS3 multi, the Apocalypse Sega ST-V, S16, and C2 systems, as well as his Item M72.

The Chinese multis, such as CPS1 and others may have issues as they are made to crank out fast for a profit.

I don't think a Cave multi will ever be done, but MiSTer might be the path for that one (along with Toaplan shooters).

If you're curious about a multi, post the question, I have all of them now (except for the Neo Geo ones), or go direct to the source:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

falz posted:

So is it 'tate or Tate as in RoTate, or "tah-tay"?

I have always said and will continue to say the RoTate Tate sounding, but allegedly the tah-tay word may be based on a Japanese word? Honestly it sounds douchy and pretentious to me so I'll just not say it that way.

god bless.

Oddly enough, both explanations are valid and have been given out for years. Go with the one that feels right to you.

As for vertical, vert is acceptable, but not ver-tay, because in Japanese that........................... doesn't mean that.

XtraSmiley fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 3, 2020

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Hey, this is the arcade thread, but still SA right?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

nostalgics credit feed and bomb spam because that's what you do when you're 10, when you cling to nostalgia you fail to improve your skill and gain deeper enjoyment which makes the old days always being better a self fulfilling prophecy, this perma-disappointment will damage your brain causing you to buy lots of tacky poo poo to fill the void you should be filling with getting gud

OMG, are you spying on me Truman Show style?!?!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

VideoGames posted:

It is still SA, but do not post like that.

Geez, I didn't realize after 75 years, it's still, too soon. But hey, don't want to make anyone weird so I deleted my post.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Gokujou Parodius is great, Konami doing what they do best in the shooter realm. On the same hardware, Salamander 2 is pretty dope as well, you can get the ROM board cheaper and use your Parodius motherboard I believe for an easy swap and play. Devastators totally blows IMO. It was them learning how to do "into the screen run and gun" and they kind of dropped the ball, but for the sequel* they really did much better.

*NOTE: The sequel is called GIJOE and is rad.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

How are you going to get it out?

That's what she said. Also, real arcade collectors worry about poo poo like that later, like when we're dead (or moving, it's always worse when we're moving).

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

nice, looks like the buttons in the Pana Twin SGs I got recently!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

Received one of my grail PCBs the other day, Drift Out '94. I know it's kind of a weird thing to have as a grail but it is genuinely hard to find, and I've loved the series since first playing Neo Drift Out at a Fuddruckers as a kid. It plays very differently to Neo as it's slower and more deliberate but I find it more deep and satisfying, and it's actually better looking than Neo despite being two years older because it's on the powerful SSV hardware (a cool system to explore in MAME if you're bored). Superdeadite has a good video about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOpVHt_H05Q

I've been looking for this drat thing for like a decade and finally found it for sale on klov from darksoft for like $100, hadn't even checked that forum in ages but mentioning it here reminded me it existed :toot:

Nice! I didn't know you were looking for that! I had a few pass my hands and never knew it was different! I wish I had checked it out more. Anyway, I told DS to post on KLOV, so I guess in round about way, I did a tiny part to help you get it anyway! :)

I grabbed a 1,000 Mile Rally that sort of plays like NDO and is pretty fun. You can play with joysticks with a dip switch change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12-luPvjjVs

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

2reachmu posted:

This the windy city gaming guys? They put out a nice supergun as I recall.

The put out a very expensive SuperGun that can damage your equipment, but yes, some consider it nice.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

idk if that's windy gaming but yeah their supergun was not great. I've heard really good things about RGB's HAS supergun and looking at the specs and price nothing beats it imo

HAS is the best IMO. I've had 3 of them and my current one is amazing. They are just hard as hell to get!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

apparently RGB is opening a web shop and there will be plenty of HAS for everyone soon but he's kinda weird about stuff. like he said there would be new RECOs for sale "this year" in 2019 and welp. if you think getting a HAS is hard try finding a RECO, it's driving me nuts (thankfully I already have one but I want another for the second cab I'm getting)

He's had some medical things happen.

I talk to him on occasion (I edited the instruction manual, as he's ESL), I had considered distributing for him in the US, but now that he's going to his webshop system, it may not be needed.

He may send me a prototype of the next version, if I like what I get, I'll sell my current HAS, which is awesome and has a few custom features on it.

Also, hell, if he tells me anything about when he plans on hitting the open button, I'll post in here ASAP so you guys get a chance to grab one.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

2reachmu posted:

Hahaha, fair enough. I may have remembered it differently. Thought on the plus side they were the mid-west connect for candy cabs for the longest time.

Ha, that came out a lot dickish than I mean it. I meant, many people DO like it, but it is very expensive, and if you get one, be careful as it CAN damage some equipment. Not that it's a piece of poo poo or anything and you're dumb for liking it. :P

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

tell him to make more loving RECOs, I'm kinda worried he stopped doing them for good to focus on the much more "broad appeal" HAS which also has the RECO functionality but is useless to people with cabs

e: actually seriously if you're in contact with him ask nicely if he plans to do more RECOs please I've already asked last year and don't want to bother him but maybe it will remind him

Will do, I'll let you know.

2reachmu posted:

I remember looking at it when I was considering doing a netdimm naomi 2 setup. Pcbs, cab and board collecting is a rich man's game and alas I am but a serf. Plus I don't really have the space in my place considering how my CRTs and monitors I have and wayyyyy too many arcade sticks (I should make a thread). I'll probably fork out the cash for a MISTER one of these days and that'll be about as close as I get barring a lottery win.

Yeah, I don't even want to think about all the cash I've spent on PCBs, when a simple MISTer would have saved me the headache and wallet burn, but poo poo man, what else am I going to spend my money on? House? Clothes? Food? Nah...

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Pit Fighter is amazing, and should be in EVERY PCB collection. There is one on FB right now for $30 plus shipping. I'd say grab it if you don't have it already...

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Which aged worse:

Pit-Fighter or Guardians of the 'Hood?

I have both. I'd say PF is a much better game. They are both terrible, but different degrees of terrible. PF is better, but GotH has it's charm.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Funktor posted:

So what are the best rail shooters that use a joystick rather than a light gun?

What's your budget? I prefer a different type of arcade rail shooter...

Cabal (joystick needs a hack)
Blood Brothers
GI Joe
Nam 75
Gamshara

Are a few of my favorites.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

idk if its even considered a rail shooter but if people are posting stuff like afterburner and night striker you should check out burning force. fully JAMMA compliant controls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJenHdezv7A

Oh, great pick!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Outside of the joke answer about T2, and although I LOVE the game, it's a PIECE OF poo poo, as far as games go. Not fair at all and a total quarter eater. Love it, the cabinet, and the "guns" though.

I just played a game of GI JOE tonight after finding my PCB since I mentioned it before. It's freaking awesome, check it out. Yo Joe!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I also don't really care about owning PCBs or any of that stuff so it's okay to not care.

Has anyone built a cabinet using a MiSTer? That seems like the sweet spot between arcade faithfulness and not going broke.

This is the future for sure, if it ever gets more compatibility and better accuracy.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah, I'm glad these things are getting preserved because they were my childhood growing up, but in like 50 years, those of us who remember them will all be dead and no one will care!

That being said, this is a cool site I've used to check out brawlers I hadn't heard about :

http://www.punchpedia.com

And based on that site, I've purchased some arcade boards that are a bit uncommon (since we've all played the common stuff). I'll make a recommendation here and there if you guys want to check them out. I suggest using MAME as paying for these boards is for the very rich, or stupid (>Xtrasmiley).

Today let's talk about Guardians: Denjin Makai II

http://www.punchpedia.com/games/arc/dmakai2/dmakai2.php

This is a GREAT follow-up to Denjin Makai (I'm looking for a DM PCB, holler if you got one!) and is improved in almost every way. The characters are creative, weird, and colorful. The action is fluid, and in depth. There's a lot of variety, which helps as brawlers are by design sort of boring after awhile.

You can check it out on MAME, but the cool thing is a Korean version of the PCB plays just like the Japanese one, and is usually under $150. The Japanese PCB looks different, is actually a little more fragile and costs usually $2-300. Finally, stay away from the Chinese or Korean PCBs without a JAMMA notch, as they have inferior sound and the stages are in a weird order. Those are what I would consider a bootleg PCB and not worth picking up unless you can do it really cheap.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I want to chime in and say his products are always well built and quality as well, so if you want one of these, don't hesitate!

For myself, I've been waiting forever for this type of product that will let me re-map the start and coin (select) buttons too. Too many weird late '80s games from Atari and such that use those buttons as action buttons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Thanks for the tip. I have a few Japanese SG, but to be honest, the dang HAS is so awesome, I haven't messed with them yet!

I think I'm going to pester Mike until he relents and makes me a RECO or something that does the start/coin.

After all, I did get him to make me a cool custom HAS with a blue display, and that only took 2 years... :)