Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Voting construction site. It will probably be more immediately useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Olive Branch posted:

(Sings.) I went to the Animal Fair... The birds and tigers were there! The big baboon by the light of the moon... Was combing his auburn hair!

Aw, my kids sing that song all the time! :3:

I'm voting construction site, then back to the gas station before the lodge. Probably good tools and supplies there. It's farther from the house, but it would reduce backtracking if the lodge doesn't have disinfectant.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Black Robe posted:

Unless we can use Cate as a human shield. Getting tired of her poo poo now.

:same:

Construction Site.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I kinda respect this game for making the only woman an rear end in a top hat sociopath who would leave everyone in a ditch, if it benefited her. It's better than than some one note love interest, or damsel in need of saving.
Maybe the game will start to develop her character and try to justify her poo poo at some point. Perhaps she just cares too much and tries to hide it. :rolleyes:
David seems like a nice, but kinda subservient person, so I guess he's not just accepting her behavior because he considers her hot.

I can't really explain why, but this dynamic would feel really odd, if the genders were reversed.

But to be fair, she is right here. David is kind of an rear end in a top hat too, if he unilaterally decides to offer letting a group of unknown soldiers merge with their group.

Let's go lodging.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 23, 2020

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope those bandits don't take up lodging in... well, the lodge if we go to the construction site first.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Construction site!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Construction sites have COOL TRUCKS and that might help cheer up Cody.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

Investigation

Our intrepid readers decided we should head to the construction site first to explore, then the lodge! Let's get going.

This is the construction site. It doesn't look like much, and rather than any soundtrack, the only ambient sound is the wind whistling through creaking metal. From where we're standing we can go to the site itself, or a construction equipment parking lot to the right. Cate and Cody don't have anything to say here about the place, so I'll go into the parking lot first to check out the perimeter.

Hey, Cate. Do you think Barry is in heaven?
N-... Never know. You never know.
Maybe we will see him when we go to space.
Maybe.

A couple of tractors... and what looks to be a dead animal, probably a dog, in front of one of them. Hidden to the right behind the second tractor is a hole in the wall, but before I go into it, I'll back out and head into the site proper.

Cate, do you miss Barry, too?
Sure.
You don't look sad.
Listen... I know Barry was a friend, but we barely knew him. So just get over it. Just don't think about it.

The main entranceway has a few things to interact with, and our companions have something to say about the site now!

Any thoughts, Cate?
Let's find what can be useful for us and leave. Except for some materials, I'm not sure if there is anything for us here.

Do you like it here, Cody?
Wow! So cool! There are so many things here... What does that machine do? Oh! And that one? Hey, look! This thing looks dangerous...
Don't touch anything Cody!
Hey, hey! Look at that!
CODY!

What kid doesn't like to play with construction stuff? There's a scaffolding to climb to the right, as well as more of the site to look at, another conspiracy magazine on the wheelbarrow, a welding kit on a platform above us, and a tarp to be picked up here.

Aliens...?
*sigh* No, David. No aliens. Don't believe in everything you read. Even if... it's not far from the actual truth.
It isn't?
Let's move, David.

We already guess that Cate is an "alien" herself, if we are to believe there is dimensional travel afoot. Think of the possibilities of combining different dimensions' computing power, labor potential, and creative thinking. Progress would skyrocket... if capitalism didn't get in the way.

A folded sheet of tarp (4 kg). A big, folded sheet of thick tarp. It's heavier than it looks.

(Interaction - Welding kit) I can't reach that.
(Interaction - Rusty scaffolding) Ouch! This metal is rusty and covered with spikes. I'm gonna cut my hands and bleed to death if I try to climb it.
(Item - Rope with hook on welding kit) It's a delicate piece of equipment. I can't just toss a hook at it in hopes of pulling it back!

Head right, party! Looks like that welding kit will have to wait.

Not much to see here. There is a spool of wire near Cate's feet, but it looks like those slabs of concrete are blocking the path to the left.

Cate, why are you so serious and scary?
So kids won't ask me stupid questions.
Does it really work?
It doesn't seem to...

(Interaction - Spool of wire) It's stuck under that large heap of concrete.
(Interaction - Concrete slabs) It's big and heavy... and it's in the way.
(Interaction - Crane generator or crane) I can't reach that.

Maybe that hole in the wall in the parking lot leads back here. Time to double back.

Sure enough, that hole in the wall gets us around the concrete.

(Interaction - Crane generator) It's out of fuel.

Good thing we've got a full tank of gas on hand! A quick jaunt back to the car and I grab the fuel canister.

(Item - Gas canister on crane generator) I've fueled the generator. Now I just have to start it.

After pulling the cord, the generator begins to belch black smoke. And you bet your buns we're climbing the crane ladder. I want to move that stack of concrete elsewhere so we can get that sweet, sweet spool of copper wiring.

We're pretty high up, but we can access the controls and the box of cables decently enough. Can David even operate this thing?

(Interaction - Box of cables) Some electrical cables inside.
(Item - Screwdriver on box of cables) There's no need to fiddle with this.

Interacting with the crane's control gives us this menu. Since the crane head was to the right of the concrete slab, moving it to the left, then down, then clamping the concrete bars should do it.

The system has detected a collision.

Hmm, the crane moved left but since it struck the concrete slabs it just moved back. Maybe I need to move it up first?

Much better. Now to move it left, then down, then clamp.

The system has detected a collision.

OKAY FINE, open the freaking crane "mouth" first then!

Now it seems we're good. The crane moved up slower, so I assume it's got a grip on the concrete slabs.

(Interaction - Crane controls) I've already lifted what I wanted. I'm done here.

Swaying ominously, the concrete slabs give up their prize... I turn off the generator, just in case.

A reel of wire (2.2 kg). A long reel of conductive wire.

This seems to be everything doable and lootable in the construction site right now, so I'll head back to the gas station to refuel our gas canister, then go to the lodge. I have to remember about that welding kit and the rusty scaffolding, and while I'm on the subject, the locked lab door in the Sidereal office basement.

Covering Ground

One gas detour later, we arrive at the lodge. It looks undisturbed. The front door is right there, and there's a path to the back. Of course, Cate and Cody have thoughts on the place.

So, what do you think of this place?
It's not that great. Could be easily compromised. Door is gone. Even if we secure the windows, it would still be easy to get inside.
Do you always have to give me those tactical explanations?
What else do you want from me? I never say how I feel. Not even to my therapist.

What's wrong, Cody?
I don't like this place. The trees here look scary. I think I saw a monster over there.
Monsters don't exist. Oh, wait. There were those huge spiders. So yeah, maybe they do exist. Now I'm not feeling comfortable either.
W... what? I'm even more scared! We have to hide before the monsters find us!
Great work, David.

Maybe we should head to the back first to make sure we're not ambushed by spiders.

This place sucked even before the world was destroyed.

An outhouse with flies buzzing all over the toilet and a bloody spatter behind a tall tree is all there is to see here, but the tall tree seems to be climbable. Let's explore the lodge proper first.

The lodge seems homey enough. There's quite a bit to look at here.

(Interaction - Painting) The painting depicts a wolf or a large dog on a snowy hill. There is a human settlement in the distance. Night is dark and the sky seems hazy. I think I've seen this picture somewhere before...
(Interaction - Fireplace) The fireplace is empty, with a thick layer of ash on its walls and floor. It smells like burnt wood.
(Interaction - Couch) No time to sit down now.
(Interaction - Deer trophy) One of the antlers is skewed. I can't reach it.
(Item - Crowbar on deer trophy) This seems long enough to be able to push the antler. There was a loud click somewhere in the room...
(Interaction - Scratches) There are some visible scratches on the floor as if something was pushed back and forth repeatedly.

Nice, there's a floor safe here! Pushing the trick antler back into position unlocked it. What's our reward?

(Interaction - Floor safe) There was a revolver in the safe. There is still something there. There was a box of rifle ammo in the safe. There is one more box inside. There was a box of revolver ammo in the safe. The safe is empty.

A revolver (2 kg). A small handgun with a 6-cartridge cylinder. It's not loaded.
A box of rifle rounds (1 kg). A box full of rifle ammunition.
A box of revolver rounds (1 kg). A box full of revolver ammunition.

David's got some extra firepower. Let's load up the revolver, just in case...

A revolver (2 kg). A small handgun with a 6-cartridge cylinder. It's fully loaded with 6 bullets.

I feel like maybe Cate should carry this weapon. She already has a pistol, but if she runs out of ammo and we need to fend off those bandits Sarge mentioned, she could use this to keep covering us.

You might need this.
Thanks. I already have a gun. Remember?
Right.

drat it Cate, work with us here. There's still a pantry to check out in the lodge, but since my inventory is full, I'm going to dump some stuff in Clifford's trunk first...

Now this is my kind of pantry: full of stuff to grab! A bottle of whiskey, a broomstick, three wooden boards, a can of wood sealer, and a couple of interactable objects are here.

Let me know if you find any coffee, okay? I can't even remember the taste. Only addiction remains...

(Interaction - Broken window) I can see the back of the lodge from here.
(Interaction - Can of sealer) The liquid in this can is dry and useless. Something has been covered with it though, as the lid was left open.
(Interaction - Electric socket) The socket won't solve any of my problems without anything to plug in.

A broomstick (1 kg). An old wooden broomstick.
A wooden board (3.5 kg). Wide wooden board, treated with some sort of sealer, judging by the smell.
A bottle of whiskey (2.5 kg). A big bottle of strong whiskey.

Fancy a drink, Cate? Cody?

Maybe some other time. I need to keep my mind focused. But to tell the truth, I wouldn't mind a glass of wine.

Wow. Really? Can I?
David, you shouldn't...
Aww...

This whiskey would definitely serve as a disinfectant for poor Steve. Now that we've gotten everything here, I'll go climb that tree...

Hmm. Nothing to be done up here, it looks like. Maybe it'll help us in the future? Since we're all done with the lodge for now, I'll head back to the restaurant and see if we can't help out Sarge's men in exchange for that gadget Paul is carrying around.

You can do it Cate. Just a little longer. Great. Now I'm starting to talk to myself.

Exploration

What's up, gang? Don't mind us, we're just here to do some triage work on your pal.

You again.

Now that we have what Steve needs, we can ask Sarge how Steve is doing.

How is Steve doing?
We still don't have everything to treat his wounds.
What do you need exactly?
Some bandages. And something to disinfect his wounds.
(After choosing "Goodbye.") I should go.
Good luck!

We've got just what the doctor... err, Sarge, ordered. Let's hand Sarge the bandages and bottle of whiskey.

I'd better give any medical supplies directly to the wounded guy.

Huh, really? I would think it'd be better to give the stuff to someone who can actually apply it, David, but you're the boss. Here you go, Steve!

(Kneels next to Steve.) This bandage should help...
Yeah... thanks.

(Kneels next to Steve.) I guess this could be used to disinfect the wound...
Whoa, wait. That'd be a waste of fine whiskey.
Oh, come on. You can have the rest of it.
That's it - we can now properly mend your wounds, Steve. Can you help, Cate?
Why, because I'm a girl it automatically means I'm a nurse?
It's okay. I'll do it.

Hey, Steve is looking much better without him bleeding all over the place. Let's talk to Steve and Paul again, as I'm assuming we're in their good graces now.

Yeah?
How do you feel now?
Better. Thanks. I owe ya. *cough*

The "Storm Catchers" option is no longer grayed out, so Paul should be willing to assist us.

What's with those Storm Catchers?
Well since you helped Steve, I feel obligated to help you in return. So here they are.

A Storm Catcher (1 kg). This device supposedly repels thunderstorms, especially if three of them are installed in a triangle a few miles around the protected area.

Okay, but "how do you use those Storm Catchers," Paul?

How do you use those?
Okay, so there are three Catchers in the set. Each of them has to be mounted on a high spot. The higher, the better. Also, each of them needs electricity to function. In order to make them work, you have to place them all within a few miles of each other. Try forming a triangle around your hideout.

We can ask Paul about a "restaurant pylon," but I'm thinking we can set them up on top of that tall tree at the lodge, on top of the crane at the construction site... and maybe here, too? If not here, then the RV camper to the east, maybe?

Would putting a Storm Catcher on the hamburger pylon outside this restaurant work?
It's not very high, but with nothing else but desert around, I guess it would be fine. There should also be electric cables there. You'll just need to power it. I guess it's a good spot.
Can you help us put a Storm Catcher there?
Uh, I don't know. Ask Sarge is that's possible.

Might as well ask Sarge to help us install the Storm Catcher here.

Paul gave me those... Storm Catcher things.
Ah, yes. He told me about those.
Yeah. So, I'm supposed to install them somewhere high above ground. Form a triangle around our base.
Sounds like a plan to me, if Paul says it'll work.
This restaurant's pylon sign isn't very high, but it's surrounded by mostly empty space. It should be sufficient, according to Paul. Could you help us get it up there? We don't have a ladder of anything like that.
Hm. How about we trade?
What do you have in mind?
We're low on ammo, and our guns are in critical condition. Bring me a firearm and some bullets, and I can order my men to install this thing for you up there. Do we have a deal?
I guess we do.

We can ask Sarge, "What was the deal, again?" So let's do that!

What was the deal again?
Bring me a firearm, preferably something compact, and some spare ammo for it. Then give me the Storm Catcher, and we'll put it on top of the restaurant's pylon sign.

As it happens, the revolver and its box of bullets we found at the lodge sounds just like what Sarge asked for! Let's offer them to him.

This revolver should do. It's in perfect condition. Where did you find it?
I have my sources.

This ammo will do.

Now, Sarge, about "our deal..."

So what's with our deal?
You've done your part. Just give me the Storm Catcher, and we'll put it on top of the restaurant's pylon sign.

Here you go, one Storm Catcher!

Okay. I'll tell my boys to put that on the pylon for you. We'll also power the pylon so the Storm Catcher actually works.
Thanks, Sarge.
No problem. But remember... you still have to install two more Catchers to form a triangle around your base.

10:29 am: Sarge ordered his men to install one of the Storm Catchers on top of a hamburger pylon by the restaurant.

Let's go talk to Paul just to make sure it's done...

Sarge said it's okay for you to help us with the pylon.
Awesome. Just hand the Catcher to Sarge then.

Been there, done that! So this seems to be everything for Sarge's "fetch quests." We patched up his man, got the Storm Catchers, traded a gun and ammo for one of them to be installed, and have finished up everything else that I can think of. So, I think it's time for us to do some preparation for the night. We have three votes today, everyone.

:siren: First, where should we put the remaining two Storm Catchers? We need to form a triangle around our base with them, and to put them up as high as possible. I'm thinking the construction site and the lodge are contenders, between the crane and the tall tree in their respective places. But there's also a plug at the RV wagon further east, and maybe Barry's old place has a plug too?

:siren: Second, how should we prepare the farmhouse for the night? Pictured here is everything we picked up today. We could probably put the wooden boards treated with sealer on the windows, or cover them with blankets or the tarp we got... Obviously we should dig trenches with our shovel, and I'll lock the doors, close the fireplace flue and the attic window, and maybe put something on the ladder leading to the attic, if possible. Is there anything else you can think of doing?

:siren: Third, is there anyplace else I should explore, or try doing for today? We do have plenty of time and some fuel reserves, so if you want me to check out any other places, or item interactions, now would be the time to say!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Deffo the Lodge and the Construction site for the stormcatchers We can probably put one on the crane or something.

Along with everything you said, use the tarp to cover the helicopter hole or at least the entrance way to the attic prob with sealent cause acid rain is prob bad times for that. Also would wooden boards or plastic work best for the windows? Goons?

We should try getting that welding kit. Did we get some gloves? Could we try using those to climb the scaffolding?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Definitely place the Storm Catchers at the construction crane and the tall tree at the lodge. We might need the wire to power the device at the tree, but the crane should have its own juice.

I like the idea of using the boards to seal the attic/upstairs windows and spaces and then doing whatever we can with the rest of the windows.

Can't think of exploring anywhere else, so long as we can't go the the space shuttle pad yet.

Also, I'm totally into Cate's "aliens don't exist" shtick. Reminds me of MST3K: The Movie. "Then I ram my ovipositor down your throat and lay my eggs in your chest, but I'm not an alien!"

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Prioritize dealing with the helicopter. That's a giant hole in our defenses and it doesn't matter how well we prepare if we leave that open.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Let's review:
From the various knowledge we acquired we should probably do the following:
1. Install the remaining storm catchers at the construction site and the lodge. The crane had what looked like a wire box in it, probably that's the place to stick it. The lodge is trickier, as clearly you want to put it in a tree, but how exactly are you going to route power to it? Does the lodge even have power?
2. Dig the ditches.
3. Put the tarp on the helicopter. Remember that loose tarp might just slide off, so make sure to secure it with something.
4. I think someone mentioned making a lightning rod out of copper wire?
5. The wood boards were treated with sealant, meaning they are now waterproof. I'd wager that they are sturdier than plastic, when you consider the potential strong winds. I don't think you HAVE to nail them down though, maybe just duct taping it for no leaks is sufficient.
6. Obviously close all the hatches.

That seems sufficient to me.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I think we need the copper wire to power the Stormcatcher from the tree. You probably need to wield the wire to it and bring the other end into the lodge where there's an empty outlet.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My gut feeling was to use the tarp to cover stuff so you could climb but I assume that was tried.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I assume using the pry bar to collapse part of the scaffolding would destroy the welding equipment, but maybe you could partially dismantle it or something? Or use the treated boards to get up there?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I am a little turned around on the construction site. Can you use the concrete blocks hanging from the crane as a platform to get to the welding kit?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Although the height is good on the construction site and the tree, I'm kinda concerned about something: calling our hideout "inside" the triangle is kinda pushing it. It's probably sufficient, but it makes me a little nervous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
--Use the storm catchers at the construction site and lodge

-- Put boards over windows

-- Use the tarp on the helicopter, secure the tarp with tape

-- Close all the hatches

-- Use copper wire on chimney

-- Dig ditches

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

azren posted:

Although the height is good on the construction site and the tree, I'm kinda concerned about something: calling our hideout "inside" the triangle is kinda pushing it. It's probably sufficient, but it makes me a little nervous.

Looking at that map, there aren't really many better triangles possible, though. Unless you count the space station, I guess.
Maybe tree, cars, Barrys house?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am positive it's what the high tree is there for. It towers above houses so that has to be where one goes. The other two are obvious, I cannot imagine Barrie's house beating a crane and the burger sign is kind of a foregone conclusion

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If we put the device in the tree, how do we get power up there? Is the copper wire spool long enough?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

bbcisdabomb posted:

If we put the device in the tree, how do we get power up there? Is the copper wire spool long enough?

There's a socket in the cabin. I assume we can feed the wire or whatever through the broken window.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

There's a socket in the cabin. I assume we can feed the wire or whatever through the broken window.

Didn't we have an extension cable in the house at some point, during the cold day? I'd assume it's to short, but I guess we still should try to use that. Maybe together with the wire.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We've been voting too competently for a proper LP thread.

Shoot the storm in the face with a gun, make no other preparations

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

No, have Cody stand guard in the chopper, with only the copper wire

Bregor
May 31, 2013

This LP has been short on game overs, hasn’t it? I thought we’d get some King’s Quest carnage but no luck. After the proper game is over maybe we can see a few.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Exploration

Sounds like we have a plan. We'll be putting up the remaining two Storm Catchers up at the construction site and the lodge, and then do what we can in the farmhouse itself to prepare for the thunderstorm.

The first thing I want to do is run back to the farmhouse to pick up some items. If you'll recall, there was an outlet in the pantry of the lodge near the broken window. Goons rudecyrus and cant cook creole bream both pointed out we have an extension cord and that electricity could run through those. Whether there is electricity at the lodge is another story, but we have a full tank of gas in case we need the generator to run. The copper wiring can probably serve as makeshift attachment to the crane's wire boxes, I'm assuming, so that we can feed the generator's electricity on the ground up to the Storm Catcher on the top.

Inside

This seems like a good set of items to take out. I left the Storm Catchers in Clifford's trunk, so don't worry about them. We'll worry about waterproofing the house later. To the lodge!

Covering Ground

David manages to plug in the extension cord and toss the other end out the window as planned. Time to head outside and take it up with us.

The plan is coming together. Just have to attach the Storm Catcher now.

Well, dang. Let's take a gander around the lodge...

(Interaction - Electrical outlet with extension cord) Actually, I don't think I'm going to need this anywhere else at this point.

I do what I can to start the power up again and fiddle with the outlet, but come up short. We may have to come back here later with a battery or something.

Hey, Barry. Do you think we'll make it to space?
Oh, no. The kid has lost it. Cody... you know Barry didn't make it, right?
Huh? Yeah, sure. I know. I just like talking to him like he was still alive. Makes me feel better. He says hi, by the way.

We'll do the next best thing and try out the construction site again.

I start the generator up and climb the ladder, but on attaching the Storm Catcher to the box of cables, David gets a shock. Thankfully, neither he nor the Storm Catcher are damaged. I forgot the basic rule of electricity: don't plug stuff into a live current! I'll just run down, turn off the generator, reattach the Storm Catcher, then turn the power back on...

(Interaction - Storm Catcher on box of cables) A Storm Catcher device is installed here.

11:29 am: I installed one of the Storm Catchers on top of a construction crane.

Awesome. That's two for three. I'll head back to the lodge afterwards, because I'm sure I'm missing something... What about the welding kit here in the construction site, do we have anything on hand that we can use to grab it?

(Item - Broomstick, wrench, or crowbar on welding kit) Poking it won't help. There's gotta be a way to get in there and pick it up.

Dang, no go, and no other items on hand are any help. I think we may need to do a bit more exploring around the areas we didn't visit, and maybe bring our entire inventory over here to test things out... if we have the time. Given that we already have plans to shore up our shelter, I'll handle those first, then give grabbing the welding kit the old college try.

I'm bored. Play with me.
No. I'm busy.
But you're not doing anything...
Still no.
Pleeeeeease...
Eh...
It's a simple game. One person has to guess what the other sees. You start by saying "I spy with my little eye..."
I spy with my little eye something beginning with the letter S.
Sand?
Good job, you won! Now go away.
Yaay! Hey, wait a minute...

Investigation

I first dig ditches around the house, since that's key to surviving any flooding.

01:31 pm: We dug some ditches around the base.

(Interaction - Ditches) Ditches await the storm water.
(Item - Shovel on ditches) I've already dug the ditches.

The ditches actually run around the front of the house and down into the road. Nice touch.

Inside

Next is the helicopter. Goons SSNeoman and serefin99 asked us to prioritize the giant hole in our house caused by the helicopter, and the big folded sheet of tarp we got may do the trick.

(Item - Tarp on helicopter) I should try to cover it from the outside.

The Moon's looking mighty mean, and you bet we're covering up this gap in our defenses.

I've put the tarp over the helicopter. It covers most of the hole.
(Interaction - Helicopter) The tarp covers most of the hole.

01:59 pm: I covered Cate's helicopter with a tarp to stop water from leaking in.

That's the helicopter dealt with. Next, making some sort of lightning rod. The broomstick isn't being much help, but as goons Regallion and rudecyrus pointed out, the copper wire can probably be used as a replacement.

I've installed a lightning rod.
(Interaction - Chimney) I hope this lightning rod will protect us from the thunderstorm.

02:30 pm: I installed a lightning rod on top of our base.

And what do you know, it works perfectly. We used up all the copper wire, though. By this point, the screen is starting to flash white with lightning, and distant rumbles of thunder can be heard. Atmospheric, but also tense. We don't have much more time to waste.

02:30 pm: I closed the roof hatch in the attic.

Not forgetting to pick up after ourselves! But... speaking after picking up after ourselves, the moment I head down, I take pause. On checking the thread again for our to-do list, I noticed Regallion pointed out the tarp may just slide off in the rain, so I head back out there and try using the duct tape on the tarp.

Now the tarp is held in place nicely.
(Interaction - Helicopter) The tarp covers most of the hole. It is held by the duct tape.

02:51 pm: I covered Cate's helicopter with a tarp and secured it with duct tape to stop water from leaking in.
02:51 pm: I closed the roof hatch in the attic.

Yeah, Regallion is more on the ball with safety than I am! So far, we've got the ditches dug, the helicopter tarped and taped, an impromptu lightning rod set up, the hatch closed, and two out of three Storm Catchers operational. All that's left is the final one, but something tells me we'll need the welding kit back in the construction site to deal with it, and that means somehow making it up the rusty scaffolding. Before I get to that, though, I am going to remove the window reinforcements and blankets to make room for the wooden boards with sealant.

So far so good. I have a feeling the blankets may be thick enough to cover the rusty nails in the scaffolding, so I'll be taking them with me. I'm also taking plastic wrap and window netting, just in case.

Unfortunately, it's all in vain. David shoots down all my ideas with the items we have on hand. I guess we should check out the RV and roadblock to the east; maybe we'll have better luck there?

You know what I miss?
What do you miss, Cody?
I miss Barry's stories. He had, like, a story for everything.
Indeed he did.

Exploration

The RV has a fuel inlet and a plug of its own, but David didn't want me fussing with the extension cord or pulling down the Storm Catcher from the lodge after I had set it up, so maybe this is a red herring. Still, I'll try fueling the RV and turning it on...

I've started the RV's engine.
(Interaction - RV's driver's seat) The engine is already running, but the RV is too damaged to move. I guess it's staying here.

I'm getting a little desperate at this point. I don't think the welding kit is obtainable for this day, and I can't shake the feeling that I've missed something at the lodge. There was no obvious generator or indication of power, so how exactly did the lodge get it? I decide to go back there with our stack of items, just in case something can help out.

Covering Ground

And on arrival, I take a drat good look at the roof of the lodge again. I had noticed that "star" on the leafy roof when we first got here, but in my haste to explore around I actually didn't bother to look at it more closely, or to mention it on the previous update when we got here. Just what is it?

(Interaction - Roof covered with leaves) Solar panels...?
Yeah. That's probably how they kept the lights on at night.
Solar panels don't work at night...
Come on, David. Don't be stupid. They store the power during the day.
Hey, I knew that. I was just joking.
Anyway, I can barely see those panels under all those dead leaves. I doubt they collect anything.
Well, I could climb the roof using the porch railing, but I need something to help me remove those leaves.
Can I climb it, too?

:doh: God, I feel stupid. I had literally moused over everything earlier on except the dang roof! And what do we have to sweep away the leaves? A broom!

(Interaction - Solar panels) Since the leaves are gone, the solar panels receive all the light they can get.

05:01 pm: I installed one of the Storm Catchers on a tall tree in the forest by the lodge.

For someone who was pixel hunting pretty drat hard earlier on, I didn't pixel hunt an entire roof with a glinting hint on it. The good news is, even with the sun setting, David feels confident that the roof will store enough power for the Storm Catcher to operate. I think all we have to do to end tonight is to board up the windows, so I'll run back home after a quick pit stop at the gas station to refuel yet again.

Cate, how did the Moon explode?
Bad people did it. By accident, but still.
How can you break the entire Moon by accident? What were they doing there?
I don't know. Word is they were mining. God knows what they found there.
Monsters?
Maybe.
Ooh! You were supposed to say monsters aren't real!
They are very real.
David! Cate is being scary again!!!

Inside

Okay. Time for the final preparations. Let's duct tape these boards on the windows, and for good measure, drop the restaurant flag on the hatch leading up to the attic, just in case.

(Item - Wooden board on window) It's just hanging there. I still should do something to attach it to the wall around the window.

05:51 pm: I installed a sealed board in one of the windows.

06:20 pm: I installed sealed boards in some of the windows.

06:49 pm: I installed sealed boards in all of the windows.

A flash of lightning and crack of thunder splits the sky as I survey our household. Let's run down the prep list, shall we? Ditches dug. Storm Catchers installed. Lightning rod made. Helicopter tarped and taped. Windows sealed up with wooden boards. All entrances and hatches shut and locked. I think we're good to hunker down for the night; we won't be needing to fuel the generator for lighting or electricity, as we'll be getting plenty of it outside.

I'd say we're ready. For fun, I'm going to equip the rifle, as goon Shei-kun said to shoot the storm with our gun. Do your worst, storm!

Long Nights

Loud thunder was sounding all around, preceded by sudden and sharp flashes of light. With them, the first rain drops fell on the wastelands. It was not a life-giving water the dry land had been thirsty for. It was saturated with burning acid, as if Earth decided to clean its surface of life before the Moon did.

Its special magnetic field pushed some of the clouds (5%) away from the region.

You formed a triangle around your base, shielding it from the storm and reducing its power by an additional 20%.

That's the Storm Catchers done, and we've already got a solid reduction in storm power!

Driving away some of the water protected you from being flooded and reduced the threat by 15%.

Thanks to your efforts, you prevented some water (20%) from pouring into the house.

Wow, the tarp prevented more water than the ditches from flooding us? That really was a priority! And a drat good thing I was reminded to duct tape it down.

That was a good idea. It stopped 10% of the water from pouring in.

I'm surprised the hatch being closed didn't matter during the snowstorm in the second day, but I'm not complaining.

That was a good call. Lightning struck the house, hitting it directly. If it wasn't for the rod, the roof would have taken a serious hit. This lowered the threat by 20%.

I wonder if the house would have been set on fire without it? In any case, awesome work, gang! With this last 20% taken care of, we did a perfect job of securing our hideout for the night!

Another Sunrise

You prepared your hideout perfectly and it paid off. Not only did you survive, but you also had some good rest last night. [+5 kg permanent carry weight bonus]

Oh yeah, you bet we got some good rest. Thank goodness I went back to the lodge again and took another look. Had we not, I have no idea how much the boarded windows would have prevented the rain from coming in.

This is it. The final prophetic dream, if the Moon is scheduled to crash down on us. Let's look outside, which isn't so dark as it is on fire...

...Huh. This wasn't what I expected. Let's try the door again.

It was locked before I checked the window. Out we go.

Majora's Mask called, it wants its Moon back. This is endgame, goons. Tomorrow is our final day to survive. I know some goons (looking at you, Bregor) have been hoping for some violent deaths so far, but if we stick around today, we are definitely going to get one.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 18, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The extension cord thing is some real BS, as until that moment the game gives no indication that the cord is actually 500 meters long. In fact, it's actually magic, because if you check back on the cold update, it had nowhere near that much slack when deployed.
The tarp thing is an annoying "gotcha" this game likes to occasionally pull, where you can forget to tape it down and then it'll tell you during the night that you hosed up, but all it does is force you to just reload a save, it doesn't make the game any harder or more interesting.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So putting the sealed boards on all the windows didn't do anything? I guess it makes sense, glass is more waterproof than wood, but oh well.

Seems clear that the way to get the welding kit is to wait for the moon to fall and knock it down for us :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Black Robe posted:

So putting the sealed boards on all the windows didn't do anything? I guess it makes sense, glass is more waterproof than wood, but oh well.

I think it did help, but protection tops off at 100%.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
We have gotten a disappointing amount of use out of the rifle so far. I vote to Shoot that dang moon out of the sky! You think you're so important there, hanging up in the sky? How do you like bullets?!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I concur. Just finish the day instantly.

Come to think of it, it's more of a meteor by now.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Olive Branch posted:

Majora's Mask called, it wants its Moon back.

Rename Cody to BEN

It's not so much that I want copious amounts of death, but this seems like a hard game and we're playing it entirely too well. :getin:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I do really want to see some bonus stuff at the end showing off what can happen if you screw up. It seems like you can get some hilarious and/or really messy deaths.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
With the moon falling on our heads, we should fortify our house to resist the impact. Wearing hard hats might also help.

Or taking off in a spaceship, I guess.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly those solar panels would have pissed me off. I was ruminating so hard on how to power the goddamn lodge.

Black Robe posted:

It seems every 'success' decreases the 'threat meter' and once the latter hits 0% we win automatically. We just got so many successes that we never got to the point where the boards came into play.

I'm hosed on how the hell we do it for the loving spiders though.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Spiders- if we saved the nails for the last window instead of the bridge it would have worked, right?
Also, maybe we could have put the traps outside the house instead of inside?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Eeepies posted:

Spiders- if we saved the nails for the last window instead of the bridge it would have worked, right?
Also, maybe we could have put the traps outside the house instead of inside?

you need to both save the nails for the last window AND put the traps outside instead of inside
Of the 3 possible hazards spiders are the most assholeish of them all, as they are the only hazard that actually wants nails to be perfected

The spoilers above mention where our LPer went wrong with the spiders.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Olive Branch posted:

I'd say we're ready. For fun, I'm going to equip the rifle, as goon Shei-kun said to shoot the storm with our gun. Do your worst, storm!
:allears:

Now that the moon is in shooting distance, we've got plenty of targets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Black Robe posted:

It's not that it did nothing, it's that all our other preparations were so effective that the boards weren't needed. A similar thing happened during the cold wave day; there's so much you can do to prepare for it that it's honestly harder to fail than succeed.