Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

Didn't Alex, Ares' son, have a sword in Secret Warriors that Gorgon took from him? Grasscutter, I think? It was the one Alex used to attack the White House when he felt like Obama got Ares killed in Siege.

Oh, I found a picture. And I see somebody already brought this up on the previous page, I missed it.

Ezis fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Now, hear me out.

A sword that’s the totality of one’s telepathic powers.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A kind of...psychic knife, you mean?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but it does make the continued vilification of Scarlet Witch a little weird. Forge did what she did on a much smaller scale, his introduction was developing a weapon that stole Storm's powers for like fifty issues, she had to get de-aged into a pre-teen and then hang out with Gambit to get her powers back. Sebastian Shaw spent a ton of time developing the weapons that were used to commit an actual genocide.

forge repowered her in fall of the mutants, and then she was depowered again due to nanny de-aging her. nanny's on krakoa too!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is Doop currently dead and if so why isn’t he at the top of the queue?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i'm pretty sure doop can't actually die

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

forge repowered her in fall of the mutants, and then she was depowered again due to nanny de-aging her. nanny's on krakoa too!

She was still depowered when Nanny de-aged her, I don't know if it was ever confirmed, but I thought the de-aging is what got her her powers back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

She was still depowered when Nanny de-aged her, I don't know if it was ever confirmed, but I thought the de-aging is what got her her powers back.

no, she wasn't. forge and storm were trapped in another world by the adversary, and then they escaped when forge restored her powers. it's just that storm didn't really do a whole lot between fall of the mutants and the end of the australia era.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

no, she wasn't. forge and storm were trapped in another world by the adversary, and then they escaped when forge restored her powers. it's just that storm didn't really do a whole lot between fall of the mutants and the end of the australia era.

I think you're forgetting about hanging out with a certain gentleman by the name of Remy LeBeau.

And her powers were very wonky until the X-Tinction Agenda when she got turned into a Mutate and then restored when she was turned back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I think you're forgetting about hanging out with a certain gentleman by the name of Remy LeBeau.

And her powers were very wonky until the X-Tinction Agenda when she got turned into a Mutate and then restored when she was turned back.

no, i'm saying that forge zapped her powers away, then zapped them back, and then she quickly lost them again when nanny de-aged her. i forgot the details of how she got re-aged in the end, though.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

no, i'm saying that forge zapped her powers away, then zapped them back, and then she quickly lost them again when nanny de-aged her. i forgot the details of how she got re-aged in the end, though.

x-tinction agenda is when she got reaged, somehow the genetic tinkering they did make her older again

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but it does make the continued vilification of Scarlet Witch a little weird. Forge did what she did on a much smaller scale, his introduction was developing a weapon that stole Storm's powers for like fifty issues, she had to get de-aged into a pre-teen and then hang out with Gambit to get her powers back. Sebastian Shaw spent a ton of time developing the weapons that were used to commit an actual genocide.

Storm got her powers back way before she was deaged and hung out with Gambit, she got them back in the early parts of the Fall of the Mutants story and had them all through the Australia era. You can tell by the part where she was flying when attacking Nanny's ship before Havok fired a big ol' plasma blast and everyone thought he killed her by accident, which was the leadup to her deaging.

Also it was Forge that helped get them back so you can make an argument that he made amends, on the topic of why hes not vilified

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite part of this is before they get abducted, deaged Storm and Jean are hanging out and say "I'm glad you're not dead!" to each other totally casually since that's just how things are for X-Men.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He's been in group shots. He was at Xavier's funeral.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Why does Apocalypse have a sword in X-Men #7? It's been getting rave reviews and got me curious

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Schneider Heim posted:

Why does Apocalypse have a sword in X-Men #7? It's been getting rave reviews and got me curious

It's part of what they call the Crucible, which is how a de-powered mutant can get back their powers. More is spoilery, so I'd just suggest reading the issue.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Schneider Heim posted:

He's just trying to keep his mind alive, you know? You never just see one of these hanging around.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nessus posted:

He's just trying to keep his mind alive, you know? You never just see one of these hanging around.

Maybe I'll open an island for perverts! It takes all kinds, pal!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Maybe I'll open an island for perverts! It takes all kinds, pal!

going by that one text page from X-Force last week, Pervert Island isn't entirely out of the question as a Krakoa Habitat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

To sword fight with.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did I miss a new mutants? Comixology has 8 available.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kingtheninja posted:

Did I miss a new mutants? Comixology has 8 available.

Yeah, last week was issue 8

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My only regret about Marauders is that I've always been into Pyro's initial characterization as kind of a sophisticated journalist and novelist (and I guess intended by Byrne to be gay?), and I don't really see that coming back into play here. That element of his character has been extremely off-and-on for decades though, but I'll always keep a flame in my heart for his rockin' canary yellow pants and cravat ensemble from his very first appearance.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
All I know is that I, too, want a warwolf puppy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Idk man, I had the first two Excalibur issues as a kid and they kind of creeped me right the gently caress out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

My only regret about Marauders is that I've always been into Pyro's initial characterization as kind of a sophisticated journalist and novelist (and I guess intended by Byrne to be gay?), and I don't really see that coming back into play here. That element of his character has been extremely off-and-on for decades though, but I'll always keep a flame in my heart for his rockin' canary yellow pants and cravat ensemble from his very first appearance.

Man, I can't remember the last time Pyro wasn't written as 'Blob's thug buddy.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Slightly surprised Rachel just didn't kill it on sight.

Also, they're sentient beings, not animals. Excalibur just committed genocide, then decided the last survivor should be a pet.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Aren’t there more in the mojoverse?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

Aren’t there more in the mojoverse?

i'm pretty sure mojo just pumps warwolves out of a vat so yeah

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drat the that first section of marauders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

drat the that first section of marauders.

I think having rewatched Inception recently helped a lot for me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also drat the rest of Marauders

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Marauders is insanely good.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I’ve reached the stage of my All-Xbooks re-read (just hitting X-tinction Agenda) where I’ve realized that “X Factor’s” yuppie phase is one of my favorite moments in the whole thing. That book turns into “Thirtysomething” for a solid 40 issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I’ve reached the stage of my All-Xbooks re-read (just hitting X-tinction Agenda) where I’ve realized that “X Factor’s” yuppie phase is one of my favorite moments in the whole thing. That book turns into “Thirtysomething” for a solid 40 issues.

When does that start? I've tried reading X-Factor a couple of times but can never get into it.

Also, have we talked about this yet?

https://twitter.com/Benjamin_Percy/status/1236364046888325122?s=20

First couple of issues of X-Force I would have been worried, but now that I understand the vibe a bit better it could be good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sign me up immediately

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-Force 9 also involves a trip to the Savage Lands

is that where Gabby has been hanging out this whole time

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I enjoyed X-Factor a lot more when Walt Simonson started doing the pencils

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, so the mutant resurrection process is purely mechanical rather than mystical or spiritual or even cosmic. that's normally not a big deal, since despite the death revolving door it's not like afterlives are used consistently in marvel anyway. however, what about dani moonstar? she's got a significant connection to a specific afterlife that is usually a very real place. so what exactly happens if her soul goes to helheim or valhalla or whatever? there's a lot of possible answers, some of them quite interesting. and of course, when you get into resurrections and souls that brings layla miller to mind. how the heck would her deal interact with the clone + backup system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
As depicted thus far in the comics, the mutant resurrection system's interaction with questions of "souls" and "demonstrable afterlives that a bunch of us have actually been to" has been almost entirely "let's not think about that too hard."

As depicted thus far in interviews with Hickman, the mutant resurrection system's entire purpose has been "we know X-Men are gonna die and come back to life, it happens all the time and because it happens all the time it renders the storytelling crutch of 'kill a character' basically meaningless; there's no emotional response when you know the dead person will be back anyways. So why not turn it into an in-universe, replicable mechanism and use 'well we know they'll be back anyways' as a springboard for new stories instead of just taking all the punch out of old stories?"

So you kind of run into the issue of exploring the in-universe ramifications of a choice that was made for out-of-universe reasons, and in such cases the usual pattern is 'no one will examine this stuff unless and until they think they can get a good story out of it.'