Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in summary: vulcan didn't die during war of kings, he's trying to do better, and he's a ticking time bomb.

And the explosion that they thought killed him opened a rift in the universe to a universe where Death was killed and all life mutated into a Cthulu inspired Cancerverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh yeah, hes that nightclub owner from Madripor, right? I wonder what he's doing there, are they going to reveal he's a mutant or some evil mastermind?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, but like, is that from a previous run, have they explained it at all or is this something that's gonna be explained further down the line?

(also he's not hiding very well, people have got to have noticed Doug has a weird black techno-arm and everybody in XoS has to be wondering where the sword came from)

With Doug it's best not to ask questions. Before the HoX/PoX prologue his last appearance was as a hobo, squatting in an abandoned house, on the verge of death because he was physically addicted to memes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mind the walrus posted:

Looked up the page:

It is. Destiny literally ordered burnt Moira alive, slowly, for doing something she didn't approve of. Any aspect of Krakoa that Destiny doesn't approve of could unravel the whole enterprise.

I took that speech to mean Destiny saw everything Moira was going to do all throughout her other lives as well. Thats why Moira won't let her be resurrected. Charles and Magneto would have a lot less confidence in her plan if they find out she's just Groundhog Day'ing it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

danbanana posted:

It's specifically the x-gene that makes you a big-M Mutant, right?

It changes, for a while the general idea was that most people have the gene but you were only a mutant if the gene expressed itself naturally. If the gene is forced to express itself by outside factors then you'd be a mutate.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ImpAtom posted:

A big problem is probably the fact that Being A Mutant was absurdly marketable for a while so making people mutants was a good way to make them more significant. (Like Cloak and Dagger.)

It might have had other real world implications too. Toys of non-humans had lower duty and tariff rates than toys of humans back in the 70s- 90s so Marvel argued that since X-Men were distinct from humans they would get the lower rates. Easy to see them attempting to expand that definition so they can sell Spider-Man toys at a better margin too.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Is there any specific reason why Kwannon is now Psylocke rather that Revance? I mean other than to make her more confusing.

Nothing more than certain artists and fans preferring stories of the Psylocke they grew up with and fearing change. It wasn't a body switch, the Psylocke(Betsy) was killed by a villain with reality warping powers but psychically jumped her consciousness into the villain body and took control long enough to recreate herself a new body that ended up being her original form since that's how she still saw herself. Kwannon was long dead but apparently she was an early resurrection on Krakoa. Couldn't be simpler.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 6, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Edge & Christian posted:

That lawsuit was filed in 2000 and went to court in 2002, was ruled in their favor in 2003, and almost definitely led the International Trade Commission to revise their listings so dolls and action figures and toys are all lumped into the same tariff code a few years later, so given that timeframe the odds of it affecting any editorial decisions 10-20 years earlier is pretty low.

Sorry, I thought the court stuff was going on in the 80s not the '00s.

Thinking on the letter posted last page, it does put Kitty's notorious panels more in context. If people still weren't picking up the allegory of the X-Men, I could see him getting frustrated enough to try and spell it out for them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And he insists on running everywhere like Naruto.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dawgstar posted:

Who's the other Wolverine besides Laura?

Oh! Jonathan. Right.

Is Jonathan the wolverine thats also a venom or the wolverine thats also a cyborg?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mulva posted:

Has a writer just literally ignored another current writer before? Not "didn't get the memo" and wrote something different, not "retcon it after the run is over", just flat out "This is stupid I'm not acknowledging it happened" to a currently running writer?

Not that I think he should, it just got me going down a hole. With all the stupid poo poo and all the years I feel like it had to have happened a few times, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Come to think of it, are there any popular characters that were created because the writer wasn't allowed to use a planned character at the last minute over at Marvel? I know that's how DC got two separate carbon copies on Constantine running around.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Heavy Metal posted:

Bionic eyes trivia, Judge Dredd also has those (speaking of Al Ewing), that he got in a story back in the 80s. Doesn't come up much. Al Ewing might have bionic eyes too.

Big deal, I have sonic hearing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

deadpool's big relationships with mutants were cable, siryn and evan. as of the last issue of x-factor, all of them are dead. i guess there's also copycat, but she's alive and hasn't really been relevant to anything in decades. still, no one who is alive and matters wants wade on krakoa.

He was big with Rogue and Wolverine too. It does get brought up in his current series, there were people that would have wanted Deadpool involved but he's too much chaos just as they're trying to establish Krakoa. Prodigy ran the numbers and Deadpool involvement leads to a 97% increase to the chance Krakoa fails completely.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Codependent Poster posted:

It started with Utopia where he starts making GBS threads on Scott and his methods, like how he recruited Magneto and allowed other former villains to stay with them since Decimation reduced their numbers. He was also mad that Norman Osborn captured him and he wasn't rescued right away. Then he gets worse and worse and more hypocritical, like the time in Secret Avengers where he helps build a bomb that kills a planet or something. So ever since then he's just been this hypocrite since he's been doing terrible poo poo but then always acts like he knows better and isn't doing anything worse than anyone else.

I'd say it started even earlier, with his back up story before Messiah Complex. The one where he works with Dark Beast as they go about the globe consulting all the geneticist super villains. That started him on the end justifies the means stories.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
"No Clones"
"But he's not a clone, he's beast from an alternate dimension!"
"Sounds like clone talk to me"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont know if I'm late to the party in noticing it, but the X-Men anime from 10byears ago is up on Netflix if anyone is up for a laugh.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

rantmo posted:

Dazzler is massively famous even if her popularity varies based on the writer. Lila Cheny too.

I think the last we saw her her fame had become more kitschy than actual celebrity, like Madonna or Cher.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TwoPair posted:

Maybe it was Rosenberg, but I feel like there's been at least one time in some book or another where Hope swore vengeance on him. Regardless, yeah I guess she got over it quick.

It wasn't Rosenberg. It was in a, I think a one shot or a short in a anthology book or something, where Hope teams up with Jean to recover and destroy the time machine Cable had in his arm from Deadpool.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

rantmo posted:

Strong Guy was back from hell pre-Krakoa, though I'm not sure there was any explanation.

He got overthrown and then Magik pulled some strings and got his soul back. Then Rosenberg had him arrested by O.N.E., infected him with the transmode virus then he died shielding the rest of the Xmen from an explosion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, wasn't Cannonball's non-mutant family there for The Crucible issue? They brought various delegates there. Given Prodigy's powers and the huge number of psychics on Krakoa you'd want some form of information exchange with the rest of the world that involved physical visitations from human experts in whatever fields.

I'd need to dig out HoxPox to check but I thought the way it was first explained, all mutants can go through gates, mutants can bring humans with them, but Krakoa might say no.

Scott lives on the moon, so he wasn't inviting his dad to stay on Krakoa, but he gave his dad a gate, with the implication his dad could use it to visit his house on the moon, unaccompanied, so there's a way for non mutants to be able to use a gate without a mutant.

Honestly, the gates as a security system has more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese, those geriatric botanists were able to hack it, in X-Force humans were able to graft mutant skin on them to bypass it, Scott's dad can use at least one, just because he's Scott's dad.

I think some of the confusion might be stemming from the recent Juggernaut series where Charles tells Cain that Krakoa is mutant only and he's not welcome there however much Charles would like to invite him. And that could either be the writer not being on the same page as the rest of the X team or they just wanted to tell Cain's story free from X baggage.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, in all honesty, his run feels like the opposite. It's full of deep cuts and sloppy ends to storylines that had been running for years so it feels like he was specifically asked to clean the slate a bit for a new beginning.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They deleted the previously-linked tweet, presumably for the corrected version:

E: https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1360028505258528781

Monet really should have done Warren a solid and gave some advice on fixing his oily T zone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

rantmo posted:

She and the twins have Penance as essentially an alternate form now.

Which is why her and Angel make such a great idea for a team.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

wielder posted:

Yes, the resurrection process fixed it and now she can use her powers better.

That's gonna be a common answer these days.

She was able to switch long before Krakoa, it happened during All New/All different, Marius possessed her for a good long while and started calling themselves M-Plate. She was freed from the possession at the end of the new Gen X run right before Hox/Pox.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TwoPair posted:

iirc, he also forgot Ultimate Mjolnir looked different and just gave Thor the 616 one.

Hey, he was on a tight schedule, The Black Temple wasn't going to raid itself.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Peacock club and Mikhail Rasputin are doing that over in X-Force. Bringing in the U-Men might bite on what the author is going there.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Newsstand returns also had a secondary shelf life, there was a company that would snap them up at pennies on the dollar, pack them up, and sell them at big box stores. I remember the local Toys R Us had an isle devoted to the packs. I remember buying one with the gatefold X-Men #1 and the next 5 issues. I still have them in a long box at my parents.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Beerdeer posted:

Lila Cheney has a minimum limit. She can only teleport interstellar distances. Magik could theoretically go anywhere using Limbo as a stepping stone. I’d call them both pretty Omega

Is there still only one Limbo for the entire multiverse? Does Illyana occasionally bump into alt reality versions of herself?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

And even then there's been some weird things David has done like the whole Rahne pregnancy thing and Guido the king of hell.

That ends up being weird because its like Slott's Gauntlet story, he had the idea for it 30years ago and kept shoving it into every book he wrote. The original version had Supergirl in Rahne's role.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I thought the Supergirl stuff then moved into Fallen Angel. How does that all equate into Rahne? It's been a while since I've actually thought about that Supergirl thing and I've forgotten a ton of details.

Fallen Angel got cancelled before he finished the story so he ported it over to Rahne. Fallen Angel was about a superhero giving birth to a half divine son and the attempts of a devil to use that son's divinity to empower himself and become the ruler of hell.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fallen Angels was so bad.

Really anything with Kwannon/Revanche/Psylocke has been pretty terrible and reads more like a fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

What type of cookies do you think Cable makes? Whatever they are I bet they're delicious.

Born-E-O's