Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The X-Men are back! Again! This time springing from the mind of Jonathan "New Charts and Languages in everything I write" Hickman.

House of X and Powers of X have left the Marvel Universe completely changed in regards to the hierarchy of Mutants in society. The landscape has been set and now it's time to flesh it out. The first wave of titles in the Dawn of X line are as follows:

X-Men

Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artist: Leinil Yu
The X-Men find themselves in a whole new world of possibility… and things have never been better! Jonathan Hickman and superstar artist Leinil Yu reveal the saga of Cyclops and his hand-picked squad of mutant powerhouses!

Excalibur

Writer: Tini Howard
Artist: Marcus To
The Otherworld is rocked by war! It is a new era for mutantkind as a new Captain Britain holds the amulet, fighting for the Kingdom of Avalon with her Excalibur at her side – Rogue, Gambit, Rictor, Jubilee… and Apocalypse.

Maruders

Writer: Gerry Duggan
Artist: Matteo Lolli
Even in this glorious new dawn, Mutantkind faces hardships and oppression from their human counterparts. Led by Captain Kate Pryde and funded by Emma Frost and the Hellfire Trading Company, Marauders Storm, Pyro, Bishop and Iceman sail the seas of the world to protect those hated and feared!

Fallen Angels

Writer: Bryan Edward Hill
Artist: Szymon Kudranski
Mutantkind’s newfound place in the world doesn’t account for every mutant…not all belong in paradise. Psylocke is joined by Cable and X-23 on a mission of revenge that could jeopardize all of mutant existence!

New Mutants

Writer: Jonathan Hickman & Ed Brisson
Artist: Rod Reiss
The classic New Mutants (Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Karma, Magik, and Cypher) get together with a few new friends in Chamber and Mondo. They’re the next generation of mutants and they’re ready to claim their future now...so what better way to do that than a mission to the stars alongside the Starjammers!?

X-Force

Writer: Benjamin Percy
Artist: Joshua Cassara
X-Force is the CIA of the mutant world—one half intelligence branch, one half special ops. Beast, Jean Grey and Sage on one side, Wolverine, Kid Omega and Domino on the other. In a perfect world, there would be no need for an X-Force. We’re not there… yet.

Hickman has assured this is a long term story and there are more books to come.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tini Howard is awesome. Everything I've read by her is great.

Some people don't like Percy because of his run on Teen Titans I think but on the other hand he wrote Green Arrow which was the consistently best Rebirth book until he left the book.

I got nothing for Hill. Just not familiar.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, Hill wrote the Killmonger mini. Yeah that was good.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 29, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if Tini Howard is really as good as I think she is or maybe she's just really on the same wavelength with me when it comes to comics because Excalibur was my favorite X book in forever and it even had Gambit in it who I normally don't care for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, like that's gonna stick.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, if you told me Claremont's New Mutants was one of Hickman's favorite books, I'd believe you.

There's a reason Sunspot and Cannonball were on his Avengers team when they'd never really even been properly used in the X-Men books let alone been part of the larger Marvel Universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is going to be one weirdass book.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1202271581315194889

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My boy Colossus cleans up good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

I feel compelled to stick up for the Simonson and McDuffie runs on FF, sadly short though they are.

In the same vein, Millar's short run on FF is one of the few things by him I actually enjoy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OnimaruXLR posted:

If nothing else, he is way cooler than Knull.

Nah at a character level Onslaught was worse, from a storytelling perspective Onslaught was worse, and in the macro publishing sense Onslaught was worse because it led to Heroes Reborn which was many orders of magnitude worse and more disruptive than anything involving Knull. It's easy to look back now and say that when there's recency bias regarding Knull. But Knull won't be remembered because it had little consequence and was lame and at least had some good tie-ins. Onslaught was so bad it won't be forgotten for a long time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

or else I'd propose a group reread of the whole Onslaught enchilada.

Wait...

How Wonderful! posted:

Edit 3: You know what, gently caress it, let's do this. I'll throw up an OP tonight for anybody who wants to read along.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd been behind on a lot of X-Books and have pretty much caught up now. I am very surprised to say this but I think Hickman's mythological work is the among the weakest stuff currently in the X-Men line. I like most of the individual titles when they're doing their thing but any time they step into the mythology that Hickman has created my eyes kind of just glaze over as I read. I find this very weird as I was super into all of the other stuff Hickman has done at Marvel. But for instance I thought X of Swords was fun when all of the setup for it was done and it got down to what it was doing. But I just did not give one poo poo about Apocalypse and his backstory with his kids and wife and the whole Arrako setup at all. I don't know what it is but every time I turn the page and see a block of text about some heretofore unknown group or see some organizational chart with half the names blocked I just instantly feel like I don't give a poo poo.

But again, on a title by title basis I kind of like all the books that are coming out right now. It's a weird place to be as a reader.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 8, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I actually really like Excalibur and the Otherworld stuff. It was just when it intersected with Arrako/Genesis/Horsemen I didn't care for that stuff. I think part of that is the whole problem that comes along with retconning such huge parts of a character's backstory like they did with Apocalypse. I suppose I could if I thought the story was done well. But in X of Swords whenever it cut to some some bullshit about Genesis or the Horsemen or Arrako I just wanted it to get back to the X-Men tracking down their swords or all the wackiness that was happening during the the actual contest.

And that's not even to say all the Arrako stuff was bad. I like Solemn and Isca and Doug's new giant wife. There was a lot of fun to be had there when separated from the circumstance that caused it all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Krakoan resurrection definitely messes with genetics if need be. Quire made a list of alterations he wanted done when he resurrected including his hair color, removing hair follicles so he never needs to shave, 20/20 vision, and adjusting the size of something that is classified.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, X-Cutioner's song was my poo poo when it came out. The blue border polybagged issues and cards.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Reaper is not a liar.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is not the first time a goatse-adjacent panel has appeared in a Zeb Wells book. So I think he knows the deal. This one was a bit more blatant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man. That's the first one I'm tempted on, partly because he's bringing back Kaptara there which I really liked. I still don't think I'll do it. But this is the first one that's made me think about it for more than a second.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Duggan's first two X-Men issues were better than the last several Hickman issues so I'm not sweating it. To be honest the further we put off all that far future X stuff Hickman had planned the better in my opinion. I think the line is good as it is now and better when it's not focused on the mythology of whatever they have planned. Also Hickman can move onto reinvigorating some other property.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hickman talked several times about wanting to write Eternals. Obviously that's taken right now but that, along with his history of big idea books, tells you where his head is at. I don't think he's looking to do Spider-Man or anything street level.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

I think he'd have fun with Asgard, although it might not be my cup of tea. And I certainly imagine he has more interesting things to say about the Hulk than loving Donny Cates.

Yeah, he managed to make a compelling story that actually made sense out of the goddamn mess that was Ultimate Thor in a small mini series. I imagine he would work wonders with the real deal.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ewing used him the best in the one shot issue Avengers 34.1 and I thought the mini after Secret Wars by Chuck Wendig was good. I don't think the Hyperion featured in Aaron's Avengers is the same Hyperion.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

^burtle posted:

If you loyally read every issue of X of Swords I’d say you’re entitled to one to five doom posts.

You should be required to write them in your own language through use of charts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The separation of the X-Men from other Marvel characters is more a product of the writers themselves just wanting to write X-Men stories and not include other superheroes. It's clear because it doesn't really work the other way around. X-Men and mutants pop up often in other books. The stories written in X-Books are just much more insular and don't lend themselves to having Captain America or Ghost Rider or Black Panther drop in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey now, don't go draggin' my boy Speedball into this. Robbie's had a tough enough time as it is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Ah, this is what it looks like on my desktop (and what I recall it looking like on my tablet)

Maybe some combination of Hitler, Dracula, Nick Spencer, Robert Caro, Joe Rogan, Nicki Minaj, and Ben Shapiro (the new X-Men Brain Trust) have messed with the files so I don't see one of their names edited out? Or it's a weird formatting thing.

This is how it shows for me both on Android and iOS tablets. So I'm guessing the one with the black line is a device/app error.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

during krakoa, death's main appearance was in one of those peculiar genis vel minis. i think she retired? it was something to do with marlo chandler.

I wonder just how much of that will actually be canon outside of that book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marlo is one of Peter David's pet characters that he takes with him from series to series. Mostly following Rick Jones. She's popped up in Hulk and Captain Marvel most notably. But the recent Genis Vell stuff strikes me as one of those 'nostalgia minis' where they let an older writer play around with the characters he was well know for decades ago. I'm not sure how much of that stuff will filter out to the main Marvel universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

And he has a following? Like, I know the current state of America is hosed up but there is a significant contingent of America that sees the resurrected version of Captain America that was evil and Hydra and now is anti-mutant who supports him even as he calls himself Flag-smasher and is like “this guy speaks for me”.

Its just too much. Or maybe I want it to be?

Well first of all, yeah of course he has a following. That's pretty likely given what we know about the feelings of the public at large in the Marvel U. Though to be fair some of that gathering drawn seemed to have Anti Grant signage. Second of all, also pretty spot on that the court system would so utterly fail. See that every day on the news. Those two things may be the most realistic things we've seen printed in a Marvel book recently if you ask me.

I really enjoyed Uncanny Avengers. And no matter how you feel about Grant it was absolutely inevitable that somebody was going to eventually bring him back. I'm for one happy that it was done in a way with no illusions about how wrong and twisted his whole philosophy is. Duggan was the perfect person to do this. I mean, just looking at one facet of the story being Steve and Wade's relationship, Duggan is the guy that built that relationship. And it was tarnished and used in Secret Empire and bringing that hurt back into the story was a great move. And now Grant has a new status quo that pretty firmly plants him as even more irredeemable and in direct opposition to Steve for the foreseeable future.

(Also more Monet and Pietro please)

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 22, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

50 issues is plenty of time in modern comics for a run. It's more than most people get. And nobody's missing any details on the Stark Sentinels unless they're not paying attention, it's a pretty major component of the storytelling. Iron Man has been pretty well tied into the ongoing X storylines for a while now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The resurrections going away is one thing I'm actually looking forward to. I was never a huge fan of it anyway. I don't think it's been a net negative or anything but I'm glad it won't be dangling around to lean on anymore. There's been some good uses of it, but it also enabled some bad story beats as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, all of them gained the memories of their younger selves after they went back to their correct time.

Cyclops in particular has referenced his time on The Champions a few times.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 9, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

One of the first instances I remember of it was one of the teams trying to infiltrate a villain base and just dying really awful deaths and nobody cared because hey we can get around that. I knew at the point it was going to be a double edged sword. Like I said some instances were good. And then other times you have it being used on Captain America because reasons. And had it not been a thing maybe Kamala being a mutant as well would've been handled a lot better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I legitimately liked Nate Grey at the time. I've not revisited those issues but I did like it for a while after it started.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kurt looks ready to jump in and help and Logan is just "Eh, another day" and has no interest in getting involved.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

It's possible but the Gruenwald/Sanderson OHOTMU era didn't really make that much stuff up out of whole cloth; when they did, it was usually connective tissue for tertiary characters, like punny 'real' names or No-Prize-y explanations of how someone who was apparently dead showed back up again later. It usually wasn't inventing powers for prominent characters, they didn't start making up relatives of Doctor Strange or extra powers that Doctor Doom or Silver Surfer had out of nowhere in their later handbooks. I can't speak to the 2000s era handbooks that were more outsourced, but that's not what we're looking at here.

There's also the thing that the exact same group of people wrote lengthy dossiers for Magneto in 1983 and again in 1986 where there was no mention of his psionic-blocking helmet. I am assuming that if when they went back for a third updated profile in eight years, and they add something like "helmet makes him immune to psychic attacks" it would be because it was established elsewhere, not just for funsies.

That said, I still don't know where (if anywhere) it appeared pre-1991, but it does establish that (at least a couple of) Marvel editors believed that Magneto's helmet blocked telepathy prior to the 2000 movie.

Perhaps it's a creative reinterpretation of this scene? Where Magneto explains that his helmet can give him certain abilities. Maybe the inference was it could also block similar attempts on him?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Rick Remender wrote both of those. One was from Axis the other is from Uncanny Avengers.

Remender then went on to say that if you had a problem with the M Word thing you should drown in piss. Really.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 5, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, it needs to be wrapped up by the people that have actually been on it. I'm sure it's changed enough that whatever Hickman had planned is no longer workable.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Digging both the creative teams and the teams themselves. Definitely will be giving them all a go. Very excited about X-Factor and X-Force. A classic X-Factor lineup would be nice.

Air Skwirl posted:

I think it's Kwanon unless they're going back to Elizabeth's color scheme when she was in Kwanon's body, which seems weird to do unless they decided to memory hole Kwanon.

The link in the article takes you to Kwannon's page when you click on Psylocke. I'd imagine that's intentional.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 15, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nobody even knows anything about this yet except for a couple of lines in an article. There's literally nothing to judge yet. You can't call it regressive because you don't know anything about it. There's no way to judge the direction of the line because the line hasn't even started. You have to give it a few issues before you can even begin to see the direction. You barely know more than a roster and locale for each book right now. The main X-Men books have never been particularly my cup of tea but I've always been willing to give them a shot. Krakoa won me over, then lost me, then won me back a few times over the course of the years it's been going. Right now at the end it's kind of losing me again. But for all the good storylines I've enjoyed in there, it hasn't really largely felt like X-Men as I think of them. It's felt more like a new thing with some X-Men stuff in it. And that's exciting for a lot of people so I get the trepidation in moving on from that. But I think a lot of people are ready for X-Men to be back to feeling more like X-Men. A classic feeling doesn't have to be regressive. It just needs to be familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I think we actually know a pretty fair amount about the upcoming status quo. We know that yet another mutant homeland -- one that comprised mutant solidarity, excellence, and identity -- is gone, and it's not coming back, and mutants are once again fearfully scrounging in the fringes of society like rats. Which feels regressive because mutants constantly losing their homeland and having to find another one is the exact specific thing that made the X-Men such a miserable franchise to read about to the point that Hickman said "yeah that was a bad decade wasn't it, we're definitely not doing that again" and now they're absolutely doing it again, seemingly without an ounce of self-awareness. It feels regressive because it's literally just the status quo we had five years ago, ten years ago, fifteen and twenty. It feels regressive because you can seemingly skip straight from the Bendis run to the upcoming one and not actually miss anything, at least according to the panel and press release that is explicitly designed to tell us what they want us to know about these upcoming books and sell us on it.

I'd guess 'cuz the art makes him look younger than Jubilee.

Hickman's mutant homeland had an expiration date built into the plot. In fact not getting to that point sooner is what lead to him leaving the X books. It was going to fail from the moment it was made. The only reason you got it as long as you did is because the other writers wanted to stay in it a little longer.