Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mondo was a real unrepentant piece of poo poo. It's hard to see how he got to where he is in NM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Soonmot posted:

I am unfamiliar with Mondo, what's his deal?

Okay, so Generation X spun out of the Phalanx Covenant, which ended up with Banshee and Emma Frost opening up a spin-off school for a new generation of mutants. You had Jubilee, Skin, Synch, Chamber, Husk, Penance, M, Buff, Refrax, and Mondo. It's fun for a 90s Lobdell book and all the characters are interesting. Mondo was a laid-back Samoan whose abilities allow him to merge with matter upon contact, absorbing its mass and properties until he "digests" them.

Mondo gets abducted by a handful of folks because he has pretty intense powers. He changes hands from Cordelia Frost to Shinobi Shaw and finally to a guy named Barrington... who was actually Black Tom Cassiday. Black Tom hoped to use Mondo to get revenge on his brother Banshee, so he cloned Mondo and then set things up so that Cordelia would bring him to be recruited by Generation X. Clone-Mondo hung around the Academy, interfaced with Krakoa (!!!), and was pretty chill the whole time. Then Black Tom enacted his programming and Clone-Mondo started viciously taking out his teammates one by one. He had spent the whole time learning about their powers and weaknesses. However, just as he was about to kill Jubilee she gets saved by... Bastion?! Bastion - who feels like he should fit somewhere in the whole Orchis storyline, tbh - pulls out a super anti-mutant gun and murders Clone-Mondo. The End. This is, like, issue #25.

Meanwhile, Black Tom escapes and basically radicalizes the real Mondo. Real-Mondo is told about how Cordelia Frost is really the cause of all his troubles so he works with Black Tom to take her out, knowing that Cordelia will run to Emma and thus Generation X. Mondo works to murder the students because... Black Tom basically told him to and does a pretty good job of trying. GenX appeals to their friendship, but Real-Mondo - rightfully so - claims not to know them, so he's fine killing them. But eventually GenX fights back and Black Tom, Mondo, and Juggernaut (oh yeah he was there) dip. This is like Generation X in the mid-#60s.

And then... that's it! He's basically been in two major storylines. His clone was a traitor and assassin and the real Mondo is... also just an assassin! He showed up during Cyclops's speech in DC and during Secret Empire in group shots, but that was it. The Mondo in New Mutants seems like the Mondo from early-Generation X. So, like... did he die and Xavier just rebooted him from Clone-Mondo's memories? The real Mondo is garbage boy.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought FA was real bad at first but as it progressed I started to really like Psylocke. It won me over by the end.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My dad bought me three comics one day because I really liked the X-Men cartoon and all the kids at school were into X-Men cards. He picked up Fantastic Four #400 (which was CHROMIUM HOLOFOIL HELL YEAH) and, of course, X-Man #3 and X-Universe #1. My introduction to X-Men comics, outside of what I could piece together from the cards (I thought Cameron Hodge was the coolest villain and Mother Askani was WAY more important) was smack dab in the middle of the Age of Apocalypse.

Looking it up that was May 1995, so I was 9 at the time? Oh man what was I even getting into?

After that my next comic book was the Marvel Holiday Special 1991 which loving owned because Santa kills the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Obviously New Mutants was the best, but I thought X-Force was alright too. I'm intrigued by the mystery that Domino was investigating. What did Jean see inside the mind of their captive? Who is behind these designer Reavers? I think it's pretty solid.

Fallen Angels was not as good as Issue #1, tbh. The pacing was all over the place. This one might read better in trade, maybe?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So a villain team? What old name could you resurrect for this? The Brotherhood? Nasty Boys?

... Freedom Force?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Bendis wrote AvX, not Hickman.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Re: Vulcan

My pet theory is that they resurrected him and he came back like he is from an earlier memory copy - but the real Vulcan is out there, still alive in the Fault or whatever, and so Krakoa-Vulcan is clashing with him. Mind=Soul, essentially, and they can't both exist, so Krakoa-Vulcan - who knows nothing about the War of Kings stuff and probably is pre-Deadly Genesis - is just kinda crazy and addled because of it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I felt like the twins prophecy lined up more with Xavier and Cassandra Nova than the Braddocks.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I wonder if Empath is going to die and be brought back like Rockslide to facilitate possibly having some kind of redemption for him. Because he's awful and irredeemable, but if he's just like 1000 alternate reality Empaths and most of them are good then that's fine, I guess.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought all of this was awesome. Y'all are weird.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lmao at Magik losing a spelling bee because she can't spell "magic" without a "K"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Re: Xavier in Slott's FF

I really think that wasn't him. Just two issues prior he wrote a very different sounding Xavier and made a stronger connection between the FF and the X-Men. I dunno, I just don't buy it. Someone's manipulating Franklin.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

All the Sinister stuff was great but a couple of questions about Hellions.

1. So Mastermind is being coerced to work for Arcade so his daughter is kept safe? Does... he not know she can be resurrected?

2. Why is no one talking about the best part of the issue, which is Wolverine making GBS threads his pants in Wild Child's hallucination. "OH HELL NO! It's Wild Child. The BIG DOG!" made me cackle.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Are the Children of the Atom kids not Chimeras from HOXPOX? Like, is that not what we're obviously dealing with here?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The villain looks like an owl to me. Finally, Bob Layton's X-Factor can be finished!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think it would be cool to have a series starring Krakoans who, due to law, can't be resurrected and have come together to prove their worth/just be spiteful about it. Some alternate reality folks, clones, maybe someone who got resurrected a second time accidentally.

Call the book Exiles.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Cannonball's needs to just be his superhero outfit from now on

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I didn't like Way of X #1 but #2 has me. Really intriguing stuff.

I also liked Wolverine this week but I don't think anyone is reading Wolverine anymore. :smith:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really loved Captain America in SWORD today. His sad "I just hoped we'd all look for it together" is so good. Unlike everyone else, who is shocked and appalled at Planet Arakko, Cap just wants the best for the mutants. Of any other non-mutant Marvel character, I feel like Cap believed in Xavier's dream at heart. I wish Al Ewing would write Cap.

Beast needs to get thrown in the Sabretooth hole.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Saoshyant posted:

Considering how rushed this issue was, this development out of nowhere should have been discarded. It will likely not be followed up by any other writer and it just made the finale already more messy with what little room was available.

Leah is presumably writing the X-Factor characters in Trial of Magneto

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Krakoan era has seen the introduction of a bunch of new villain and villain-esque characters and the only ones I see sticking around long term are the Hordeculture, a handful of Arakko mutants, and maybe ORCHIS since it can act as the mutant hating super group that the Friends of Humanity, The Right, Reavers, etc are all sub-branches of

Still liked X-Men though. Good debut outing for the new team, even if their potential threats don't seem very interesting.

I feel like I have no idea who or what XENO is about at this point.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is there a good place for a summary on what you're talking about re: Savage Dragon? I've never read it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, no, no you don't.

(unless you are like, "dang, that sort of weird incest is just what I'm into", then knock yourself out)

Instead, I recommend you check out X-Men The End where Chris Claremont writes Maddie as he intended before editorial got in the way and allows her to achieve pathos -- proper redemption.

That and also check out this long talk from Women Write About Comics on Maddie.

Gonna counter this and say you should never read X-Men The End.

Also Cable's ending was wonderful. I'm gonna miss kid Cable.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Marauders was so, so good. I loved all the little mutant circuits being made.

Inferno was also good, but man, it kinda feels like American politics and bums me out

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think Orphan Maker's gonna go in the hole and it's going to be very upsetting. :(

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Tag yourself I'm Iceman contemplating his orb

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hellions is the saddest I've been about a comic in a long time. They all (except for Empath and Sinister) deserved better.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm not sure I understand the ending of Trial of Magneto. So he killed Wanda, on her urging, and then let Toad take the fall? Poor Toad.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Just say it was Phoenix stuff.

Don't tell the Avengers.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I didn't like it at all. The art was nice, but the writing was incomprehensible.

Sabretooth was weird. It was hard to figure out what was real and what wasn't. And why did poor Box and Oya get thrown in the hole? Or was that even real?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Nature Girl and Curse were secretly freed by Cypher, who didn't believe they belonged in the hole. They're exiled but free.

Confirmed current hole fillers are:
Sabretooth (for unrepentant killing of humans and as an example)
Orphan Maker (for killing humans in a fit of rage)
Nanny (followed Orphan Maker in so he wouldn't be alone)
Toad (took the rap for killing Scarlet Witch... even though he didn't kill her AND she's alive anyway AND it was a good thing soooo...)
Melter
Oya
Madison Jeffries
Nekra
Third Eye

No reasons given on the last five yet. Melter was a Master of Evil but wanted to be a hero. He's killed folks in the past because he has low control over his powers and he's also just straight up fought Iron Man. Nekra is generally just morally all over the place. She's killed multiple people in the past and resurrected them for basically no reason. Oya is generally okay and has been seen on Krakoa living just fine, but she's also killed humans in the past out of principle or in self-defense. Poor Madison Jeffries has been brainwashed multiple times - first by the Zodiac into being their Gemini and then by the Malcolm Colcord-led Weapon X, where he was made to create new Sentinels and, far worse, the Neverland mutant death camps - his unstable nature (which, like, I think the Five could just... write out of him?) makes him a liability, like Orphan Maker. And then Third Eye is new!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really liked the Emma/Spider-Man moment in DR: X-Men this week

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Immortal X-Men was great, though I was sad to see one of the council drop already.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

LoX was interesting but also kinda... Not super engaging? Every scene with Nightcrawler and the eye had me tuning out.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mammomax and Teslelephant are two distinct and wonderful pachyderms.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm not sure I understand Brand's whole deal. Is she playing both sides for her own ends? Is her end just... space?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rogue is about to have a whole new problem after this week's Knights of X Gambit died in Otherworld

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1550578960614002688

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Android Blues posted:

If you didn't like X-Treme X-Men, you were merely not ready for X-Treme X-Men. That book was Claremont unchained but in a fun way.

Larrydavidunsure.gif

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 23, 2022