Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Modded Dominions 5: Always Be Clowning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Yo isn't the other 'safe' province you are building the new pie factory in ALSO next to an underwater AI stack and ALSO only have 1 PD

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ramc posted:

Yo isn't the other 'safe' province you are building the new pie factory in ALSO next to an underwater AI stack and ALSO only have 1 PD

You are entirely correct.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

gonadic io posted:

You are entirely correct.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Why are the strongmen old? Or is that just because of the base crystal mage unit?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Donkringel posted:

Why are the strongmen old? Or is that just because of the base crystal mage unit?

Yep the base crystal mages are reasonably old, although nowhere near the level of e.g. any pretender.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Clowns gotta clown.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

gonadic io posted:

edit: maybe something like this? You don't especially need the resources from additional productivity so it makes sense to cut down on the heat a bit. It depends a bit also on 1) if JBBM or some other balance mod is enabled (growth and magic scales are worse), 2) if you have other pretender options (although like I said it's a shame not to take the kirko ones), and 3) what other nations are in the game (e.g. fire res and MR against rocks, if poison res is needed, or if mind hunting won't be great)

For a JBBM game would you consider swapping the growth/magic scales for Blood Surge and maybe even the Earth Reinvigoration for stronger, longer lasting clowns?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I feel like bloodsurge is a bit of a false economy tbh clowns are VERY killy already. Magic and growth scales are still good but if you did want to take a bigger bless I recommend doing what I did and looking to counter other nations specifically. Mod nations tend to have narrower gimmicks.

But I mean at the end of the day look how incredibly poor I've been all game and especially once you get more little pie factories up money is never bad so consider idk less heat or more production also.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 62

Hahaha that Tarresque made the mistake of going underwater where there wouldn't be any scouts to act as ablative shielding for mindhunts! Now I know that Anglia thought of this and gave it a pretty effective MR boosting item to try and prevent this but really - how effective could it be? We've got pen-boosting on most of these too!

Hmm well. Another gemgen from Chasos, this time one that gives 5 astral pearls a turn. Got to love those spells whose own description calls them out for not being very good.

Once again, Jellybean gets a Faery Queen armed with 40+ bugs on top of him. While he does again retreat successfully, the issue is that using this to beat up my raiders costs Anglia very little - just a few air gems for the teleport and a new nature for the bugs. The days of just wandering around with minimally geared clowns are over and I'm going to have to do better. It wouldn't be so bad if I'd had the foresight to raid with a Clown Paramount that had a fire magic random to cast the bug-zapper of field shield but, wouldn't you know it, I didn't.

We once again smash burning man back to the void. Between the spell Ironskin, his built-in fullplate, and his 30 damage magic weapon this pretender is still pretty annoying to kill. I guess that's the Pretenders Enhanced mod working as intended. Anyway he does manage to kill a half dozen clowns (which is why I didn't want to fight him sooner) but we once again stomp his face in.

Love getting this message it's always a sign that you've done something right.

Nudge runs through a province so often raided that it doesn't have even the classic 1 PD. But then it turns out that there were hidden defenders because a bunch of Chasos indies once again turn up at the worst possible moment to kick him out. I consider myself pretty lucky that he didn't get either wounded or feebleminded from those loving spellswords. Stuff like a ring of regen would be really useful for situations like these but I have a very low nature income and I'm saving them all up for...reasons. You'll see!

The only other battle this turn is us pushing off the mindhunted barbs from a few turns ago that I only just remembered to do.

Right what's our actual plan for this turn? As previously discussed I think our normal raiders are nearing the end of their usefulness so Nudge is going north to ward off any attempt to break the Fennoscandia siege, all our troops are standing around of Fennoscandia a bit more because of course Anglia has loving masons building big loving walls, and Jellybean is, well, going to continue being mildly annoying probably until he dies.

Just slightly south of that, we are also standing around on this fort. Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar does at least still generate pearls even if he's not really contributing much else from here. It really wasn't a good idea to teleport him here in hindsight and also in foresight too.

Turns out that Anglia's big mage stack joined up with a big troop stack from the candles and now is just a very big stack overall that's pressuring my cap. I'm not going to let this distract me from Fennoscandia however or I'll never make any headway in this war so we'll have to hope that our newer recruits can hold the day.

Now that the Karanaac god is dead once again, and the mantises are finally almost completely gone, the big force on this side of the world are heading to retake the throne down here. Luckily the force that Anglia took it with have all gone back up to our capital so we've got a much higher chance of winning the fight here in this less consequential area!

We got our Little Pie Factory in the Steel Ovens province but now that Karanaac's god is dead I really want to see that recruitment screen in Karanaac itself so I'm building another one there too. Plus given that our first and thirteenth clowns are still 3 commander points it's not so bad to be recruiting them in a bunch of places. I will just have to remember to patrol when it's time for Karanaac's god to arrive again. I'm absolutely sure that that will happen and that I won't forget.

Finally we can see that Anglia took the very last untouched province on the map, Lucidium, and I'm going to go ahead and assume that they did it with the Tarresque. I'm really very glad it's not fighting me. Anyway it shrugging off, count them, 6 mind hunts so far is surely a fluke so we'll just finish it off this turn with another 5 and then we'll be free to move on to fun targets like the Faerie Queen!

Oh also we did get evocation 7 this turn but more on that next time I'm scripting up for a big battle.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 7, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Siege fights would seem to be where Anglia really shines, if no one's putting up Arrow Fend they'd have a nice, dense breach to just plow ammunition into.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 63

Okay I know last time the tarresque ate 5 mind hunts no problem but this time I'll get it for sure, after all what are the odds that it'll shrug off another 5!

I'll spare you the 4 other identical screen shots.

Nudge's raiding hits a bit of a snag this turn when he walks into a tree.

Whitewood here is a pretty hefty nature summon and a really powerful nature mage. While they have a pretty big downside of being limited in number (there's only 3 treelords) and immobile, the fact that they're living beings means that they can easily cast Transformation (or in JBBM, Become Worm Mage) which handily removes both downsides. I've had games before where I had several ex-treelord worm mages hanging around being like "no I'm the real Whiteleaf"
Anyway this one autocasts swarm and then also cast howl and creeping doom leading to a LOT of bugs heading Nudge's way! Nudge does have fire magic but I forgot to script fire shield anyway. However it doesn't matter because Nudge does have enough gear to mostly shrug off the bug bites and Anglia helpfully included a bug clearing squad for me. They couldn't hurt our clown but did kill an awful lot of insects.

Ultimately though Nudge decides he's had enough and retreats onto the province of Fennoscandia joining our forces there just in time for the storm!

Meanwhile our other raider, Jellybean, manages to dodge any cloud trapezing elemental queens this turn and so takes another irrelevant province in the middle of nowhere.

Anglia has 2 forces taking back raided provinces now but we don't really care, look at that Faery Queen that could have instead spent their turn doing something important and instead spent it sweeping up the litter left behind after a clowning.

Sadly looks like Anglia has had enough of messing around and has gone for the throat though. Their main army with a staggering number of guns, cap-only mages, and high level summons are knocking at our gates! Thanks to the large numbers of enormous clowns, who are very large and strong, they didn't manage to break the walls down in one turn so we have a final turn of respite before the big battle.

We're going to use that turn of preperations well, by firstly summoning a few more clowns and eagles in our cap. I even put the EXTREMELY expensive ring of Wizardry on the Ancient Clown to get them. I need to remember to take that off him before he goes into battle, if we lose it it'll be really quite bad.

We're also teleporting mages from all over the map back home. All our mind hunters are going to be especially useful with their magic pen gear and besides it's not like they've done much trying to butt their heads against the tarresque. Speaking of I don't actually know where it got to this turn.

I would love to say that our god is going to teleport back to defend the homeland too but, uh, nope. Sitting here unable to move. Whose idea was it to have him jump onto an enemy fort again? We're not even that close to breaking the walls I have no idea what they've got in there to cause this. A few more clowns who couldn't reach the cap are coming here instead.

While Anglia's main army is distracted taking my most critical province, we're going to take advantage by capturing Fennoscandia, a fort that is not very critical. I'm regretting this decision a bit but I'm pretty committed now. Plus once we take it we'll have access to the lab and can teleport the clowns back home so we should be able to do both things.

Wait what's that in the lake? U has sent a mighty raiding force of...20 earth elementals. They still haven't even taken the main candle yet! I'm starting to think that they don't want to help me at all.

Although they do have a medium sized force of, no joke, about 420 feet that are presumably about to move onto it next turn and not, instead, to charge into my now undefended lands. I don't think that U knows about the Steel Ovens thankfully. You can see some both literal and figurative villains took a nearby province, I'll clear them up next turn probably.

We finally, on turn 63, get to see what it looks like to have the Karanaac recruitment sites and the clown recruitment sites in the same province. I think I've been trying to get this for about 40 turns at this point and of course immediately send a screenshot to Mu in the discord.

Luckily our research has lined up that we're going to get alt 6 next turn for some more nice magic. Getting that one extra turn in before the fight on our cap has been absolutely incredible, I love enormous clowns so much. We also are teleporting an Ancient Clown onto the Karanaac throne that Anglia took from us, to prevent their recruitment of valuable Crystal Mages. There's not many troops present there so he should be able to sit there for a few turns no problem our troops on this side of the map continue south towards it. Finally we're still saving up our nature gems for prophet related reasons since our income is a pathetic 2 per turn. I really wish this game had included JBBM's spell changes!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Dang, Anglia has all three Air Queens? I know if they were mine one would have a Staff of Storms, they'd all start by casting Storm Power and just spamming Living Clouds like maniacs.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 64

Turn 64 starts with an Earth Attack! This is a remote assassination spell that summons one of these chunky boys. It's no water elemental but a size 6 earth elemental usually spells trouble for most humans and will even trample through any bodyguards to get to their target.

Jellybean in full raiding mode with his heroic hp doesn't give a single gently caress. Dodging enough attacks until the elemental has taken enough damage to be small enough to just get stepped on. I love clowns. This is not the counter-raiding spell that Anglia is looking for.

He continues on.

Roland successfully sat on the throne south of Karanaac. We've got troops as a followup it but for now we'll be shutting down recruitment of these astral mages - Anglia doesn't have too much access and it's not a good idea to encourage it.

Anglia start cutting into our Fennoscandia retreat with ghouls, and also take back one of the raided provinces in their lands.

And we snaffle up one more ourselves.

Okay enough messing around we're storming Fennoscandia! We were so close to taking this fort on like turn 15 and now, 50 turns later, we've been grinding away and have finally gotten this far into Anglia. Hopefully we'll have lots of surviving mages that can teleport right back to our cap for its defense.

Our forces are roughly 80 enormous clowns, which I think is about half of our total at this point. A handful of small clowns, a dozen bearded ladies, a dozen armless women, and 6 of our cap only mages.

On Anglia's side is, uh, a lot of poo poo. But not really a lot of mages! A half dozen mediums, a dozen engineers, and just one great engineer.

To start with, we get a good magic duel off - note that the bug that was causing it to miss is now fixed. Always nice to bully some S1s with my S3s and S4s.

The cannons and guns fire off before we could get our air shield up and score a few kills including 2 of our mages.

Anglia's summons charge in. Gift Of Health is really showing itself here giving these summer lions an additional 50 hp! They're pretty nasty with their ethereal but with magic weapons we munch (or stomp) through their hp pretty quickly.

You can see that Anglia has broken into blood, presumably the hard way by empowering like this. In battle she's spamming Agony which does 1 AN damage and causes a large amount of fear to a unit.

Anglia remembered not to cast storm this time and their draconians jumped into our backline, managing to land right in the middle of our mages, and started tussling.

Meanwhile we have mostly cleaned up the summer lions and have gotten to the ogres, and nearly to the gate.

It's time for some danger-close thunderstrikes!

Still though the meatgrinder advances and this time our enormous clowns encounter the battle summons.

At this point heat from hell goes off. Most of the mages on the battlefield are hovering around 100 fatigue at this point anyway, and while ours have fire resistance from our bless the Anglian mages will be stuck sleeping.

Stuck that is, until the clowns break through to the backfield.

I would say that was very successful! We lost some of our less important mages, mostly to those draconians, and some clowns fell in the grinder too. Even with gift of health though just summoning meatsacks is not very effective against our buffed troops. You'd need a very large amount of chaff to truly bog down this many clowns.

That was good, but it still doesn't solve our other problem. Every mage who is able is teleporting back home to Kirkostaculis, and Jellybean is using Gateway to bring all of the troops too. It would have been REALLY bad for us if Anglia had thought to destroy this lab before I captured it. Of the mages staying behind some are going off raiding and some are going back to much-needed research as we empty our treasury of all of those owl quills that have been building up. There's another Anglian force next door but honestly I could not care less - anything that could possibly get to our capital is making the journey.

Now we would have been able to teleport more mages back, but our best boosters are unavoidably in use for an absolutely critical task.

Still nothing is happening down in the Anglian side of the cave system, the walls are now "severely" damaged which means we should be able to storm either next turn or the turn after. Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar is stuck in some mud outside of a fort while we might possibly lose (or at least take a massive blow) this turn!

Not much else happening this turn, still squashing the mantises and this time it's their second last province.

We have a big squad moving onto Anglia's throne here

And U has a truly terrifying number of feet building up in a position where they could strike at either us or Anglia. I sure hope they're going east!

Right that's it. The forces in Kirkostaculis are doing one last round of summons before 1) our forces teleport in and then immediately after, 2) Anglia's forces storm. While Fennoscandia had all the troops, this is the army that has all of the mages and the elemental royalty. It will not be an easy fight. Wish me luck!

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 2, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

drat, that was a nasty loss for Anglia. Fingers crossed for how this battle turns out for the brave clowns.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Looking forward to the upcoming clown fight

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 65

Roll up, roll up, ladies and gentleclowns! This is it, the main attraction! The show you've all been waiting for! The battle for Kirkostaculis! For real this time!

No mind hunts this turn, with everybody who has the gear being teleported home.

Jellybean, with the dark skies turning his 20 morale into 13, walks most of the way to the gunline under fire and then changes his mind and walks all the way back. Luckily there was a province nearby to retreat to, but I can't help but feel like his luck will run out sooner or later if he keeps losing battles in enemy territory.

Clowns walk around and accidentally step on some barbarians.

Our old friend Trito is back and accidentally steps on some militia.

Nudge stands on a fortress for a turn inside Anglian territory. He'll be long gone before anybody in the fort comes out to see what's going on.

The time has come! Here's those perfidious Anglians, knocking on our gates and ready to take our land.

Our knife, club, and pie throwing wall defenders. These get a bunch of extra protection and unlimited ammo from being on the walls.

Just look at this absolute squad of units. A veritable bakery(butchers?) of beefcakes. Thousands of HP all lined up, ready to kick some rear end.

From minute 1, Anglia is sending a whole lot of poo poo our way. This is before arrow fend is even up, so these ones actually hurt.

The first casualty though is an eagle bearing its brain busted by a bearded beauty.

We put arrow fend up, Anglia put flaming arrows up, and clowns come streaming through the gates towards the cannonline.

Googoo here is S4 base (the boost is from Light Of The Northern Star), and it's time to d-d-d-d-duel

Scratch two (boosted) S1 bad guys, and Googoo survives flawlessly. It's not risk free, but like I said it feels real good to mow down S1s with S4s.

The battle lines meet! Several humans are instantly pulverised.

Okay it's getting real chaotic now. Anglia put up fog warriors but it doesn't do poo poo against our magic weapons. One of the queens of air is standing a bit too far forward, takes a couple of kicks, and flies off before the fight has even started really. Thunderstrike, blade wind, and magma bolts are flying through the air.

That's darkness, heat from hell, relief, light of the northern star, and storm. But ultimately, despite the massive amount of evocation spam nothing can stop the tide of clowns and the other elemental queens fly off too.

Victory! All of anglia's human mages are dead even if their most valuable summons made it out. None of our mages even died! Losing a quarter of our enormous clowns is painful but under the circumstances I'll take it!

The queens are all still alive and could fly anywhere so we're not safe yet - all these squads have a good quantity of enormous clowns with them. Luckily we have a lot of geared mindhunters nearby and these queens don't have pockets full of antimagic gear so should be easier targets. I wish I'd thought to take this province from behind them.

Jellybean, hopefully learning from lessons from his recent defeat will continue to bumble around.

Looks like Trito has come back with a friend actually, two tarresques now??? I suppose all we can do really is hope they bump with a big squad of big clowns or we get lucky with a mindhunt.

These clowns are still sitting here on the fort, hopefully we'll be able to storm next turn. A mage goes back next door to pick up some more newly recruited clowns.

We take the LAST MANTIS PROVINCE loving finally. loving finally.

About to retake this throne under Karanaac that Anglia took from us too. They've been preaching and I don't fancy fighting in negative candles under dark skies if I can at all help it so I'm preaching back.

Anyway I'm real loving happy about this turn. Dark skies is annoying but I'm only 3 turns away from researching it and casting it myself seems a lot easier than trying to dispel it.

Apart from that not much is going on, it's time to push into Anglia properly and see if I can't take this eastern-most throne from them now!

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 19, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That's one hell of a win. Frankly surprised it went that easily.

Was there even any Living Air spam at all?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
These are the scripts of the three queens:

The first one had all the gems and spent them on fog warriors (which did nothing), and mass flight (which would have done nothing because of storm from Anglia's staff of storms). The other two only had a handful of gems each.

It's possible that Thuella was scripted to cast it after mass flight but she bailed after getting shot in the back then kicked in the face before she got another spell off. It could also be possible that replays are loving me a bit here, they're a bit unreliable watching them again this long after the turns were played. Watching it now I didn't see any air elementals at all but also bear in mind that clowns with magic weapons mow through them extremely quickly also.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 16, 2020

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Britain being destroyed by clowns.

...but enough about current events how about that cap defense??

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Nicely done.

What all were you casting other than magic duel?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

builds character posted:

Nicely done.

What all were you casting other than magic duel?

Darkness (remember my bless has low-light vision), heat from hell (ditto fire res), relief, lotns were all cast from a big communion that then was spamming soul slays. Arrow fend and divine blessing from other ancient clowns. Apart from that I had a good number of mages spamming body eth and the national clown buffs. The crystal strongman was spamming petrify with gems.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 16, 2020

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Finally a deliciously taste battle with legions of clowns, mages and lethal slapstick comedy!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 66

First off we see that U has claimed the Throne Of The Moon which is the lake one up by the old mantis territory. Ever since the disaster of our previous attempt to enter the water I've kept out of it and with the huge numbers of Illearths that U has now I don't think we can contest it now.

Our five mindhunts fire off, three misses and then BAM we get one of the Queens Of Air! Nice! Also the Earl Cardigan, a national hero, just a H2 commander and nothing special.

What's this? A prophet proclamation from Kirkostaculis? Now you might be excused for thinking that I'd forgotten, but actually I have just been saving up research and gems until I could make an Imaginary Prophet! One funny thing about imaginary clowns is that while they have teleport move and can get to any location on the map in just one turn, I don't actually get any commanders that can teleport-move. Magical teleporting with rituals doesn't really help here and so the only way to get teleport gank squads are to gift of reason some imaginary clowns. And if I'm doing that, it'll be difficult to actually bless these clowns in a fight since there's still no teleporting clown priests. Except for one now, Physically Painful To Watch.

The rest of the queens though flew off somewhere and didn't stay to raid or fight, leaving us to finish off the last of the troops as we break back into our cap circle. Anglia seem to be in full retreat mode for now, even those Tarresques didn't enter our territory this turn although that situation will probably change shortly.

Not with a bang, but with a whimper. Good loving riddance mantises. This game would have been pretty different if I could have just made peace with the player instead of being effectively forced to entirely murder a powerful AI over the course of half the game.

Jellybean continues to wander around Anglian lands. And they continue to clean up after him.

He's got a LOT of xp at this point the highest of anybody in the game actually, his heroic toughness bringing him up to 125 hp from his original 45 (the larger bonus stacking with heroic abilities is great).

Meanwhile look who showed up again! Blowing up the little pie factory in Karanaac while he's at it. Still though I'm not that bothered I got the screenshot I wanted. At this point he's died so many times he's lost quite a few magic paths and if it weren't for the recoup that the Pretenders Enhanced mod added he'd be utterly useless. Okay I suppose he is pretty useless either way.

Anglia cast Melancholia at Fennoscandia and a bearded lady decides that she's had enough and wandered off. This is a great combo with Dark Skies, or would be if I hadn't been carefully preaching away Anglia's dominion here - they're down to just one candle so our morale isn't hit too bad. Map effects that check morale are really fearsome with Dark Skies and the classic example is seduction which can really devastate in the right (wrong) hands.

An arena coming in 3 months, surely I won't forget THIS time!

The walls down here are breached but I don't really want to fight under enemy morale in dark skies so I'm giving it another turn of preaching just in case.

Our forces are just charging east, time to collect a whole load of provinces! Might even be able to go for Anglia's cap.

Anglia still has some pretty large forces building up around Fennoscandia, we'll probably have to kick them off of it.

Just sieging and preaching. Having a little open-air sermon slash standup routine. Next turn we should be able to storm but there's still the issue of Dark Skies.

Oh this is interesting, Chasos had declared war on U. And there's...no units sieging? Love a bit of glamour. I spoke to Chasos a bit, offered them support, and we debated strategies of fighting U. While there's no open hostilities, U is absolutely a massive concern for me they're just not trying to kill me right now. I should probably try to make peace with Anglia after clearing them out of the lands between me and Fenno.

The current throne count is:
4 - Chasos
4 - U
4 - Anglia
1 - Clowns
And uh, this doesn't look great for us but I'm already about to take 1 of them off of Anglia. What's my path to victory? 7 thrones total are needed. I guess I'd have to take a few off of Anglia, and then U have a few near me. We'll see how the Chasos/U war shakes out but I probably don't need to ever fight Chasos. It would be pretty nice to develop a way to fight for the underwater thrones that's for sure.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 24, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I can't tell if that screenshot where the mantises are defeated is a mistake or some sublime next level form of Comedy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Foxfire_ posted:

I can't tell if that screenshot where the mantises are defeated is a mistake or some sublime next level form of Comedy

It's a bug, that has since been fixed, we saw the same things for when Fenno and Iram and so on were killed too. It is pretty funny though.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 24, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Clearly the path to victory is to tell a really good joke and then while everyone's laughing have a giant clown stomp on them and steal their thrones.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Good news, at least 2 of U's thrones are next to my lands (and I could and should easily have claimed them in the mid game), so it's not unreasonable to take 3 from Anglia and 2 from U (or vice versa). I'm certainly not counting myself out just yet!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

One funny thing about imaginary clowns is that while they have teleport move and can get to any location on the map in just one turn, I don't actually get any commanders that can teleport-move. Magical teleporting with rituals doesn't really help here and so the only way to get teleport gank squads are to gift of reason some imaginary clowns. And if I'm doing that, it'll be difficult to actually bless these clowns in a fight since there's still no teleporting clown priests. Except for one now, Physically Painful To Watch.

Maybe when you get higher Construction you can build one of these?

No teleport but it does have a high map move and can carry an Awful Lot of clowns...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Araganzar posted:

Maybe when you get higher Construction you can build one of these?

No teleport but it does have a high map move and can carry an Awful Lot of clowns...

i feel like the clown car item would be one that makes all troops that the holder is commanding not show up on scouting reports

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 67
Right, time to load up the turn and take some screenshots. Wait what's this?

Let's see what discord has to say about this turn:

quote:

[10:43 PM] gonadic io: wait what apparently I staled?
[10:43 PM] gonadic io:
> [3:50 PM] BOTdom-5-bot: Your turns:
> mods-3 turn 67 (6h 40m): Kirkostaculis (150) (submitted: X, 4/5)
> [10:04 PM] BOTdom-5-bot: Your turns:
> mods-3 turn 67 (3h 30m): Kirkostaculis (150) (submitted: X, 4/5)
[10:43 PM] gonadic io: either the bot is stuck or snek is
[10:43 PM] gonadic io: why can't the bot handle a broke game again? there's a timeout!!!

Apparently at 4 PM the bot told me I had over 6 hours left, then at 10 PM the bot told me I had over 3 hours left, then at 10:43 PM the bot told me that I had staled without submitting and it was turn 68 now. poo poo!! What fucker coded the lovely bot again? Oh wait it was me I coded the bot. It, to this day, still sometimes gets stuck if somebody starts some game with a bad map.

Okay so this is going to be a mini update then, let's check my notes for what happened this turn:

quote:

Mind hunts didn't get anybody. Trying again.
Well this one we've seen before.

quote:

Jellybean finally died, rip. Long time coming tbh
What an ignoble death! Getting jumped on by a faerie queen and her bugs again, this time getting surrounded and not managing to make it out. It even happened off-screen, a clown can't get no respect these days.

quote:

forgot to put my god on returning, poo poo
Seems like Anglia tried to break out of that south-east cave fort we were sitting on. We won the battle, easily, but I had not thought to script my god to cast the spell Returning to bring him home and now he's still stuck there, for no reason.

quote:

1 turn away from thau 7 for dark skies. Really saving up air gems. Do I really want to throw my prophet into the arena? I think maybe not tbh
Not much to add here.

And that's it, that's the turn. Seemed like not much really happened. Only the best LP content here.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 1, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This LP really has become a total clownshow.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Meta-meta clowning is coming from inside the thread!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 68

Right moving on quickly, let's forget that last turn ever happened.

Yes! If we get dark skies up we'll really be able to beat Anglia at their own game. The war has really turned at this point.

There's just one small snag, we don't actually have a A5 caster. Even with our incredibly expensive ring of sorcery we're one short! Guess we've got to quickly take one turn to make ourselves a Winged Helmet, an A4 booster that takes you to A5. It's a bit expensive but once again the Steel Ovens come to our rescue. Next turn, Anglia won't know what hit them!

Another earth elemental pops up on a commander in Fennoscandia and gets bopped right back down effortlessly. God I love clowns so much.

Anglia must be frustrated by now if they're starting this poo poo up again.

U has cast Eyes of God. Their caster is almost certainly their god, and this does mean that they can now see that we've got the Steel Ovens for one.

But wait, Eyes of God actually has another effect too. Something that rarely comes up in vanilla dominions. Any illusions present in a battle with the eyes dominion have to make a save against disbelief every turn. What nation is U fighting again? Oh that's right, the nation that's almost entirely composed of illusions.

quote:

[06:09]Baron Oh Shi: Whelp thats me dead

We stream into Fennoscandian lands with now 3 large clown squads. You can see that Anglia and U are fighting over that lake throne and Anglia has summoned at least one of the elemental queens of water too. The queens of water are, as you might expect, equivalent to the queens of air - effectively the most powerful non-pretender water mages in the game. One of them has 100% regen underwater, i.e. if you can't kill her outright in one turn she'll go right back up to full.

Down here in the east caves since we beat the break-out attempt last turn we're just going to go right in. It's even in our dominion, I cannot wait for our god to be mobile again. Putting him here seemed like a good idea at the time but just imagine what he could have gotten up to in the last 5 turns or so he's been stuck in the mud outside this fort. I'm not going to make this mistake again.

Down here in the west caves we're able to storm but instead we're going to preach some more and some reinforcements are going to swing by via that province the ghouls appeared in.

Near Karanaac we're going to clear outsome more raided provinces with a squad that's also on Burning Man cleanup duty.

Since we're definitely into the lategame at this point it's probably worth keeping track of the thrones on most turns.
This turn we have:
U: 4
Anglia: 4 (owns 5)
Chasos: 3
Clowns: 1

And as for the devastating effect of Eyes of God on the U/Chasos war I think that we want to help them out here since it would be real bad for us if U got an overwhelming advantage.

quote:

[22:10] gonadic io: hey pay me enough gems and I'll dispel eyes
[22:11] gonadic io: I don't want U to get that far ahead
[22:12] BaronOhShi: I went AI friendo
uh...

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 1, 2020

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Ouch. That is hilarious that Chasos gets totally destroyed by an otherwise pretty innocuous global.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, I never even knew EoG did that. What illusions are even in the base game? Phantasmal soldiers and wolves from those in-battle summons?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gonadic io posted:

I'm not going to make this mistake again.

Haha, unless...?

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019
I can't even do my stealth bullshit because of Eye's primary effect!

Over a Thousand Illusory soldiers, lead by some drat powerful H3 air and astral casters, and they all evaporate because I made a massive simultaneous push into U's territory. They'd pushed their dominion hard and only a single one of my main armies was spared complete annihilation. This is what happens when you play a gimmick nation with a single all encompassing counter.

Funnily enough apart from eyes of god, I was doomed against U's tide of feet and hands, my primary (and very spammable) phantasm unit has a fun ability in that they must be killed in a single strike or it doesn't count which Would be handy against the very low damage units...Except U's build in this game of blessing their strength with their pretender (I believe at this point they had a second unit summoned which could do the same) buffed them to bypass that. In return my units had Phantasmal weapons which do zero damage if the targeted unit makes an MR save... And as I complained about earlier, those limbs have very high MR for chaff units (slightly boosted by being blessed even!). Finally as one might expect, a lot of my fancy spell bullshit relies on units not being mindless, which does not describe U's army.

Truth is, the game was rigged from the start.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

This seems like something worth toning down (this game is running a combined mod, no?) specifically in a modded game environment where Illusion Nation is a thing. Seems a little silly to just have a I Win button of that magnitude and specificity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019
It's just the nature of dominions really, some times you are just 100% boned. I could have technically worked around it by using my own pearls to overcast the spell first and higher, but I was gambling on gonadic having done so to keep me from stabbing him in the back. A mix of flawed diplomacy, weird balance, bad thinkin' and the fact U was probably doing amazing on gem income (and good timing/awareness on their casting and dominion-pushing) means that this falls well under "Normal Dominions Bullshit" instead of "modded dominons bullshit" which is more like... Well... Don't mention Birds in the discord.