Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I had heard the stories, but never thought I'd witness the glorious madness of Kirkostaculis.

Arcvasti posted:

Imagine being a militiaman, proud to be defending your home against these false gods who want to sacrifice your daughters and feed all dissenters to wolves. "I can do this", you think, as you recall the long minutes spent drilling with your comrades in the traditional militia maneuvers of spear poking and routing. You're still a bit nervous of course, you've heard all sorts of grisly rumours about the forces stirring anew in the world. Dwarves leading herds of stoneskinned cats into battle to eviscerate their opponents, ever-smiling plant creatures who annihilate whole armies with solar-powered beams and hordes of rotting undead slavouring for blood. Thankfully, you're not up against any of them today. Instead, your foe is... large, bright and humanoid. You and your comrades stand fast, even in the face of their strange honking cries and baffling pre-battle calisthenics. Then, as you grit your teeth and ground the butt of your spear against the enemy charge, a pie thrown with the force of a small avalanche splats into you and reduces your whole upper body to a squishy mess of blood and delicious cream.

Everyone knows that the best defense against clowns is a tangelo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgGmQZn77Uw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hey, man! Spoilers!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ramc posted:

I really want an expanded version of Jomon's UW stuff turned into a real nation.

Good news!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

President Ark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLYEaAZFztA&t=167s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TazywZDuj9I

don't suppose the clowns have access to anti-flying rituals/world spells to shut down that raiding? the mantises looks like a nightmare to deal with

Air unlocks Storm and Perpetual Storm, both of which which shut down flying.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

President Ark posted:

incredibly stupid shoes

Mods?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ramc posted:

Also perfidious Albion denying the viewers a climactic cap battle.

FTFY

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Xarn posted:

An event can't stop casters from casting because they don't have the right slots...

dominions :allears:

Mods, you mean.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Would clown flagellants whip themselves with comically long balloons or hit themselves with their own pies?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

idk, in Mu's videos worm nation, while looking strong, doesn't look anywhere near as broken as Gerudo. Virtually every major engagement had him against someone with a partial or complete counter and it seemed like the only reason he didn't get wiped was (presumably) because people didn't want to commit to cleaning up a pop-kill nation given the effort/reward balance, which speaks more to pop-kill being unfun to deal with than anything the worms actually do otherwise, in terms of mod-nations at least.

Meanwhile in the same game Gerudo is running rampant and the same nations with easy access to worm counters seem to struggle to come up with a solid counter in that case.

A few posts ago someone said that mod nations feel stronger than regular game ones and only the really broken ones need tuning, at least from the Mu vids my impression is Worms are fine ("fine" in terms of mod nation "balance", fix the Prince thing tho) while Gerudo is pretty bs.

Hi, I was La Mancha in that game!

And there was a lot more about Uuo that was just broken and/or unfun to play against.

His basic troops are high-defense, high-resistance, regenerating freespawn that lower the defense of your troops significantly.

His higher-level mages and commanders require a lot fewer resources invested than similar stuff from vanilla popkill nations and are a lot more powerful (most especially the Spirits of Points). They also come with unit versions of themselves, meaning that one event could grant him 5+ powerful mages if he Gift of Reason'd them.

And he spawns death-increasing sites outside of his dominion, meaning that nations fighting him also have to devote a lot of resources to clearing these sites out instead of fighting him.

e: And most vanilla popkill nations freespawn undead, which have multiple counters (priests, nature magic, battlefield wipes, etc.), while Mu's worms could only really be countered by fire magic, which not every nation has good access to (like mine, who only get it on an expensive cap only mage).

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 3, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TravelLog posted:

How was La Mancha, by the way? Seems like they would have a funky playstyle.

They probably have so.e good stuff, butt I'm not a strong enough player to really use them.

And I got horribly demoralized fighting Mu

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

I understand all this, I've watched the whole series up to the last update, and I distinctly remember every major thrust Mu had to face into his territories having some kind of fire-based set-up that deleted his stacks. What was lacking seemed to be follow-through, which again, I feel can be laid at the feet of the pop-kill effect (and, I imagine, other players using the opportunity to harass whoever was attacking Mu at the time, would love to know if that was an issue). The absurd Spirits/Teeth are somewhat unreliable to get and a bad loss when killed. He's had how many spirits max at once?

Like, my point here is that it's weird that Uuo seems to have fairly accessible counters (just starting with a Fire bless seems to be enough to cause major pain) while Gerudo has... Uh, what exactly counters Gerudo and how many people were doing it- and between Gerudo and Uuo people seem more eager to call Uuo busted. I understand that some of this is predicated on only seeing Uuo's side of the field but I'm not sure seeing how many crazy stacks of those Ironknuckles Gerudo had spammed out would really make me change my mind. I just feel like the pop-kill is the big issue and that's more of a generic problem in Dominions, like under-seas nations also being a colossal pain in the rear end to fully clear so most people won't even bother trying.

Isn't there a soft rule against going seas in most Goons games (or like, there having to be at least two under seas nations?) or am I imagining it?

e.: I'll grant tho, discussing balancing in a mod-nations game is a little... Like, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to achieve a decent balance overall in these mod games and it's kinda' emblematic that a few of them are just getting banned outright. I think I'd love to see more Uuo games if there's any other LPs of them going just to maybe get a better idea of how things stand, I totally get how fighting them must be frustrating.

The only reason I'm not calling Gerudo busted is because I never fought them until the player went AI. But other people did say the nation was in the discord.

Most goon games just outright ban underwaters and popkills because they are so hard to deal with.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

It seems like U's is getting those thrones hand over feet.

FTFY

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Shouldn't that be Jade Hares?

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PlasticAutomaton posted:

U really feels like a nation that if they live at all past year 1 or 2, then they just win. Good god.

That's basically all of the Hellenika modpack nations.