Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Shaktober went rather well, so lets keep the momentum going into November.
The weather is a bit colder, the amount of leftovers in the fridge is creeping higher.
What are we to do?

The answer of course... MAKE SOUP

What is soup? Do we really need this? Probably not, but I like Steve's style, so I'm borrowing it
Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but may be cool or cold), that is made by combining ingredients of meat or vegetables with stock, or water. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth. Soups are similar to stews, and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two; however, soups generally have more liquid (broth) than stews.

Soup is cheap!
Soup doesn't care what you throw in it.
Soup is not hard, soup doesn't even require a hard and fast recipe.

See this soup right here?

This soup was a kitchen fuckup fix of too salty pasta with kale and sausage.
Cook off some mirepoix, added chicken stock and a can of cannellini beans, dump in the leftovers and now its a riff on Zuppa Toscana

Last night I made Split Pea Soup.

(Not my picutre, but Split Pea Soup is pretty much the same)
I didn't have any ham so i threw in some bacon. It was still soup, and delicious.

But toplitzin, soup is scary, and I can't improvise!
Ok, sure, here are some soup recipes:

Gordon Ramsey with the 3 ingredient soup (broccoli, water, and olive oil)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A

Kenji Lopez-Alt with 5 ingredients and a pressure cooker!
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html

But what if I suck at cooking?
Well, You Suck at Cooking has you covered!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHdPLQdjsfE

But toplitzin, i live in the upside down world of Australia and it is summer now!
That's no excuse, make cold soup, like GAZPACHO or VICHYSSOISE
Chef John can help you make both kinds of cold soups!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUBhS42eTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgYK0rjpd2c

THE DIE PART
If you post in here you must make a SOUP. If you don't make a SOUP by Sunday Dec 1st, I will report you for probation.

YOU ARE A CHEF!!!!!! (THE MOVIE) (Even chef must make soup!)
https://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/firemancomics/chef.swf

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Soup? I made soup.

Butternut Squash soup to be precise about the matter.

Take large squashes and a couple of bigish onions and roast the buggers until soft. In a large pot melt butter and bloom tumeric and what ever spices you likes. Add the roasted veg to the pot and blend it to a puree. Loosen with water.

Garnish with Onion Bhaji, or Shoestring Potatoes, tossed in herbs.

Soup is good. Soup is simple. Soup is beautiful.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Tonight I make a motherfuckin SOUP. No, I dunno what kind yet. But it's gonna be VEGAN and it's gonna loving RULE.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You cannot stop me from making loving soup.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I have no idea why I'm so terrified of Cook Or Dies even though I wind up making the dish every time so gently caress yeah I'm going to make some

goddamn

motherfucking

soup, y'all

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am making stews several times per week in this weather. Last month was even cabbage season around here.
Here is hoping that one of those counts as soup.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You gently caress i made soup two nights ago

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
tortilla SOUP

ingredients

tortilla SOUP assist juice:

tortilla SOUP being MADE INTO FUKIN SOUUUUUP

1. | 2.

3. | 4. | 5.

tortilla SOUP spices include a special home-grown habanero powder from my pal in st. louis :3:

SSSSOOOOOUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPP

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

scuz posted:

tortilla SOUP

ingredients

tortilla SOUP assist juice:

tortilla SOUP being MADE INTO FUKIN SOUUUUUP

1. | 2.

3. | 4. | 5.

tortilla SOUP spices include a special home-grown habanero powder from my pal in st. louis :3:

SSSSOOOOOUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPP

This is a fine soup. You should feel very satiated.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I decided to take a "before" picture for once. That is when I noticed that I forgot to buy carrots.

While the peas were soaking, the weather got sunny and I decided to save out the potatoes for when I make the leftovers tomorrow.

The peas got a hot soak of 30 minutes in a pressure cooker with salt, caraway and bay leaf.

Then I cut the sausage and onions, put everything into the cooker. Spiced with caraway, white-pepper, parsley, bay leaf, vegetable stock and a bit of vegetable paste.

Goes great with whole grain bread.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did not realize this thread existed, I have already done butternut squash soup (squash, apples, onion, oil, salt, pepper, sage, nutmeg, thyme) and bread & garlic soup (leftover sourdough, poo poo ton of garlic, poo poo ton of paprika). Saturday will be potato leek soup and more sourdough.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Hey I haven't made soup in a long time.

:toxx: because I need the financial incentive to actually get my procrastinating rear end around to participating in these things on-time.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Huh.

I magicked up a pork pozole verde Sunday and didn't even know this thread existed! This is my first soup of the season.

A coworker sent me her recipe and I promptly forgot it so I scoured the internet and cobbled together my own recipe:
(please excuse my extreme lack of measurements. I was feeling poorly and tend to just wing-it)

3-4 pounds of pork shoulder cut into 1 inch or so chunks
About a pound of tomatillos
A medium yellow onion
Can of Hominy
Salt
Cumin
Mexican oregano
Limes/lime juice
Garlic cloves
Better than Bouillon Vegetable or chicken

Season and brown your cut up pork shoulder. Realize your Instant Pot is a 6qt and won't hold all this meat *AND* liquid. Throw half the meat in a freezer bag and freeze for later use. You cut up the onion and tomatillos and put them with the garlic cloves in the oven to roast while you're prepping the meat, right? Yeah. You shoulda done that.

When your veg is roasted, let it cool then puree it all. I guess you can add some water/stock (made of BtB and water) if it's not juicy enough. Deglaze your Instant Pot (or stove top pot. I don't own you. Brown your meat wherever) with your stock (made of water and BtB or homemade because you're a badass). Now. Take all of this: meat, puree, deglazing liquid and, like, I dunno another 4 cups of stock and put it in the Instant Pot. Make a nice mix of cumin, salt and Mexican oregano and dump that in there too.

Open your can of hominy and drain it and rinse it until the water is clear. Dump that in the pot too. Seal your Instant Pot, set to manual high pressure for 30-40 minutes. Let it naturally release for 15 minutes. Season further if needed. Ladle into bowls. Add a splash or more of lime juice/squeeze of lime. Top with sliced radishes, avocado, shredded cabbage or just skip all that and eat it straight.

If you don't live with someone allergic to spice (and flavor) add some poblanos, jalapenos/serranos to that roast veg purree.

No Instant Pot? No Problem.
Do all that stuff in a heavy pot on the stove. Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour and a half or two until the pork is tender.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'll make soup I souppose?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Made chicken and dumplings/,chicken pot pie stew last week. Makin a new soup RIGHT NOW!

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

At last a use for those chicken bones in the freezer!

Time. For SOUP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I will make a soup. Even though it is winter here, I may make a cold soup because they are delicious and easy. Or a hot soup. Who knows?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I intend to make soup this month and it will be delicious

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

gently caress yeah soup. I actually bookmarked a soup the other week that I really want to make and then promptly forgot about it. So this is some good motivation to dig that up and actually make it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Made chicken and dumplings/,chicken pot pie stew last week. Makin a new soup RIGHT NOW!
Soup is so good and easy and cheap and an excellent excuse to bake and consume too much bread. I am so glad we are all making soup.

Forgot to post this soup:

Cabbage
Taters
White beans in a can cuz I'm lazy
Bratwurst
Stock-some homemade beef stretched with bought chicken
Marjoram-Great herb in soups and plays well with the brats that also have a marjoram thing going on
Thyme
Onion
Mushrooms

Fried the onions a little, dumped everything else in. Cooked ~20 min, cut up brats (and their delicious juices) and returned to pot for a little while. A great trick I picked up around these forums somewhere is adding a few packets of unflavored gelatin to canned stock. It really does make a huge difference in the mouthfeel and makes it much much more unctuous.

Mostly based on a soup in Claudia Roden's Spain cookbook, but hers (which I have made before) involves ham stock and I didn't have time to simmer a ham hock. I wasn't sure I was going to like the white beans AND potatoes, but it is actually a nice contrast between the two.

Verdict: Pretty good. Something brighter green towards the end would have looked nice? Maybe some parsley or toss some spinach in at the end? Except I don't like the way spinach freezes in soups, and most of this is destined for the freezer. Bratwurst sliced in soup is real good. I first did it and learned about marjoram in soup in this recipe (which is v. good if you make good veg stock) https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Graupensuppe-German-Barley-Soup/ And then started doing it in Jacques Pepin's leek and potato soup, but it has become a regular in lots of brothy N. European kind of soups for me.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I made even more soup.

Onions, Herbs, Trotter Stock, Chicken Stock. Crouton and Cheese.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I made a soup.

A carrot, a couple ribs of celery, an onion, half a pound of mushrooms, some pulled smoked chicken from dinner yesterday, wild rice, chicken broth, a half pine of heavy cream, and butter. Toss the rice on in a small pan to pre-cook so it doesn't take forever in the soup.

Saute the mushrooms in butter until nice and brown, convert the rest of the veg into mirepoix. Add a clove of garlic.

Toss that in once the mushrooms are nice and brown and cook until the onions are translucent and the carrots soften.

Realize you're starving, and decide to make biscuits.

Flour, baking powder, a bit of sugar and salt, dried rosemary, and black pepper.

Cut in half a pound of butter, add a cup of milk to make a soft dough, and throw on a cooking sheet. 20 minutes @400.

Veg are done, add a couple tablespoons of flour and cook for a mintue or too, then add broth and a good splash of cooking sherry.

Bring that up to a simmer. Add chicken, rice, and cream. Salt, pepper, and thyme to taste.

Get these beautiful bastards out of the oven. Serve warm.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I don't know if I'm going to have time to make it this year (and its a lot of $ in wild mushrooms), but my father in law has an amazing wild mushroom soup that is goddamn delicious (i think he said he got it from Fearrington House):

Ingredients:
½ oz dried morels
½ oz dried cepes
1 cup Madeira wine (or dry sherry)
2 shallots
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
12 oz white mushrooms
4 cups chicken stock
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup creme fraiche
3 oz chopped prosciutto
¾ cup cooked wild rice
¼ tsp Tabasco
¼ tsp nutmeg
4 scallions

Instructions:
In a small saucepan combine the morels, cepes, and the Madeira and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and let mushrooms soak, covered for 1 hour.

Take a piece of cheesecloth, soak with water, wring out, and lay over a fine mesh sieve. Strain the mushrooms through the sieve, reserving the liquid and wringing the cheesecloth again. Reserve mushrooms again.

In a large pot, cook the minced shallots, onion, and garlic in butter over low heat. Cook until onions begin to soften before adding the white mushrooms and stirring for 5 minutes. Add the reserved mushroom liquid, chicken broth, thyme, and bay leaf to the pot and keep over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Lower heat to medium-low and cover loosely before simmering for 30 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf and puree the pot. Add the creme fraiche, prosciutto, wild rice, Tabasco, nutmeg, and chopped mushrooms to the puree and stir to combine. Keep over low heat for 10 minutes to heat through before serving, do not boil or it will curdle. Garnish with thinly sliced scallions and top with salt.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I don't know if I'm going to have time to make it this year (and its a lot of $ in wild mushrooms), but my father in law has an amazing wild mushroom soup that is goddamn delicious (i think he said he got it from Fearrington House):

I recently went there for a fancy dinner with friends, and my mains had saran wrap inside the rabbit roll. :(

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I've been under the weather the last couple of days. Thankfully, Portuguese Penicillin will cure what ails me. Tonight I made caldo verde/Portuguese kale soup made with kale (duh), beans, potatoes, onion, garlic, stock, and linguica sausage.

It was very tasty.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never did a cook or die but I am planning to make soup anyway, so.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Grand Fromage posted:

I never did a cook or die but I am planning to make soup anyway, so.

Yeah, this might be my first ever entry. It was raining and 38 degrees out (near freezing for the smart people not in the US) so it was a good excuse to celebrate being back in new england with portuguese people again

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Liquid Communism posted:

Realize you're starving, and decide to make biscuits.

Biscuits are terrific with soup. I like em cold though. Cold bread hot soup is the best.

Edit: shiiit :toxx:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I will make a soup.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Biscuits are terrific with soup. I like em cold though. Cold bread hot soup is the best.

Edit: shiiit :toxx:

:getin:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Soup soup soup.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have always been kind of meh on soup (with a few exceptions - tomato, french onion, gazpacho) but some of these look p goddamn god. I'm in. :toxx: for no less than two soups to expand my horizons.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I already made a thread for Moosewood's Gypsy Soup once 10+ years ago but it's still the Best Soup.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Lentil soup w/paprika

2 onions
1 clove garlic
1 red chili
All above chopped
2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp dried thyme
200 g red lentils
140g of tomato puree
1 tbsp oil
1,5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 stock cubes
1,5 liters of water.

Sweat oil, onion, garlic. Add chili and spices, add tomato puree and rest of ingredients.

And simmer for 30 minutes

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I simmered for 35ish.
My wife seasoned w s&p cause I somewhat of a salt fiend.
Meant to be served w chicken meat and a dollop of sour cream but ky wife forgot it on the shop counter thingy

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I will make A Soup.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

I've been under the weather the last couple of days. Thankfully, Portuguese Penicillin will cure what ails me. Tonight I made caldo verde/Portuguese kale soup made with kale (duh), beans, potatoes, onion, garlic, stock, and linguica sausage.

It was very tasty.

gently caress you, man, I was gonna make caldo verde! :argh: Looks great though! Never seen a version with beans before.

Anyway, I souped; kind of a mash-up of chicken noodle, zuppa toscana, and caldo verde, with chicken thighs, linguiça, collard greens, egg noodles, cannellini beans, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, white wine, and stock.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Did a cheesy roasted broccoli soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

In true GWS "pile of brown" tradition, onion garlic soup.

Stock from freezer scraps, dab of miso, 3 onions and 2 heads of garlic, dark roux.. combine and simmer.