Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

People on Twitter and in general are propping this season of Ted lasso up like they do marvel shows. It’s fine junk food but don’t act like like it’s more than that. Season one of Ted was better than this. By a fair margin.

Also, it amazes me that the super strong progressives on line will talk endlessly about me too and then fine with a sexual relationship that utterly doesn’t work here (a boss) and the mind rape in wandvision like it’s no biggie.

The morning show handles sex in the workplace with few more grace than either of those shows and nobody talks about it because it shows how icky it all is and how complex it can be.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

But it is more than fine junk food. If you’re not digging this season that’s fine but it’s no reason to make silly assertions!

Nah. I’ll explain it better, going into the fast food metaphor.

There’s levels of burgers.

1)Fast food cheap
2)Fast food expensive (in and out, five guys, shack shack)
3)Independent Portland style fast food
4)Fancy restaurant/a good home cooked burger.

The average marvel show and movies is at 2)fast food expensive. Fun to eat, everybody loves talking about it, still can leave your stomach upset later, pretty greesy.

Ted lasso first season was brilliant. A surprise, a fresh concept that didn’t feel gimmicky, a focus on a complex main character that rippled out and effected other characters who we wanted to know more about grew as the show went on. At worst it was level 4 of the burger.

Season 2 is a straight up level 3). As in, it’s a fancy burger joint that tastes pretty drat good, they probably have an amazing milk shake, but it’s still greasy and makes you not feel awesome afterwards.

Characters that felt compelling and deep in season one have gotten a lot more focus and yet they’ve become caricatures of the character. Roy Kent was great for a lot of reasons in the first season. Roy season two has become a fantasy boyfriend for Twitter folks, and is was written accordingly.

Beard being in an unhealthy relationship in his 40’s who’s unstable but exciting isn’t a bad thing by itself. But framing it the way they did lacks a level of self awareness the writers have generally shown to have.

Same goes for framing the relationship with Sam as anything as hosed up because of obvious reasons of power dynamics.

The two characters who they’ve stayed true to this season have been Jamie and the assistant coach. Both feel written to the same level as season 1.

So yes, it’s better than the in and out burgers that are the marvel shows, but it’s not a home cooked burger, and it isn’t what it was season 1.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 19, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

My guess (based on nothing) is that Rupert’s buying another football team and wants to poach Nate.

Yeah. And as a villain Nate being the anti Ted the monster Ted creates is actually pretty good.

Best episode of the season easily. Sassy is fantastic and more of her please.

But the love life relationship of Sam and spoiler really, really doesn’t work. Like it’s so tone deaf it’s sort of shocking at this point.

Take the scene with all the woman talking about it. Funny, fun scene right?

Now gender swap it.

Total horror show. Your 13 year old nephew finds out you’re hooking up with their major sports crush the hot female soccer player who you are the boss too and saying “what a stud” and throwing up a thumbs up while you are talking about how much fun it is to be hooking up with her bragging about it but because of the obvious power dynamic issues you know you need to break it off…

And Roy Kent was fantastic in this episode, the most him he’s almost been since the first few episodes of this season… and then they do it loving again.

Twitter fantasy boyfriend apologizing to Keely who was arguable being just as much of a jerk from the jump as he was. (The Apple bit made him a jerk but before that point it was pretty even and a classic couple fight where no one person was more right or wrong than the other).

And I loving loved Keely season 1.

Still the best ep of the season though.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 24, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Killer robot posted:

What we're seeing mostly seems to be natural extension or at least not incompatible though. And the look and feel is pretty solid. They get a similar but distinct feel to the Star Wars ancient and lived-in galaxy, and they're doing a decent job presenting a society and history so vast that even people in the thick of it don't comprehend its scale, with a Space Roman empire that's powerful but increasingly fragile. I guess they feel like a straighter adaptation really would feel like an early prototype of its genre of space opera, and I don't really blame them. Only doing the first two stories in the season feels a bit too padded, but the padding seems pretty neat so far.

the writers are super solid. Jokes about Goyer aside, he's capable of strong writing in the right moments, and Jane E is a fantastic sci fi writer. (Buffy, Battle Star G among many other credits)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Great ep of Ted Lasso.

My first thought was maybe Rupert's been talking to Nate for a while, and that explains his heel turn somehow? But I like yours better. Could also explain Rupert's divestiture of their Richmond share, maybe there's some rule forbidding owning a stake in multiple teams?

I felt this way about Rebecca and Sam earlier, but for some reason I didn't think about it at all in this episode. You're not wrong though, I think that says more about me.

I don't think Rebecca's wariness is about the power dynamic, or at least the explicit reasons the show offered were "age difference" and "if the press finds out". The latter could imply power imbalance I guess, but it feels like the show's going out of its way not to address it.

I don't understand this complaint. Your issue is Roy apologizing for too much?

My issue is Roy Kent no longer feels as much like a person and more like he’s been required to complete the same character ark most episodes this season (best fantasy boyfriend ever that makes mistakes but then comes around and don’t we all love him?) At the same time, Keely has also become a worse character because they keep repeating the same story beat.

Also, in this episode it’s not an equal relationship. They both acted like jerks, but it was only Roy Kent who apologized. The writers can’t have a couple who’s just learning and getting better as a relationship, so they threw in a love triangle that really doesn’t need to happen. Jamie was becoming a better character because he was growing this season without it being about her, and this cheapened his growth.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Alex Levy is a terrible loving character

Wait, you mean Aniston‘s character? Or do you mean Witherspoon‘s? I get those two mixed up. Witherspoon‘s character is awful but totally believable. Aniston‘s character is wonderfully awful and also completely realistic.

Morning show is handling me too and the culture better than basically everything else that’s going on, which is why it’s hilariously being ignored most of the time on Twitter by the same people that the show is doing a very good job of mocking. The fact that Aniston and Witherspoon are clearly major creative forces behind it just makes me respect them all the much more. And Steve is doing a fantastic job playing a miserable terrible person.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s absolutely believable lmao. I lost it when they reveal that her friend was filming it the whole time. The other woman is less believable and I’m really not sure where they’re going with her and also am not interested at all tbh

I suspect it might take a look at how other cultures treat/think/handle redeem abusive people who show remorse, but who knows.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ted lasso drop in quality is brutal.

I hope Roy ends up with the school teacher because Keely went from my favorite character to I don’t even know what. Annoying? I think annoying is the right word.

Speaking of Keely, remember last season when her and Ted would have fun good chats? be great if she and Ted actually talked, like ever?

The solider in the glass was a desperate call back to a better show.

The show is too stupid to get the Sam Rebekah thing still doesn’t work so now it’s just something I don’t even care about. They want us to feel like it matters and yikes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Whoever is tying you up, holding your eyes open, and forcing you to watch this show you can’t stop complaining about is a real jerk!!!!!!

What a dumb point. Loved season 1. Guess that’s all they had in the tank.

And the game of thrones thread has a ton of people making GBS threads on the last season.

I’m hoping this show recovers, but holy poo poo does it not look good.

The ending didn’t even make loving sense. A journalist isn’t going to tell their source to the person the article is about.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 1, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I really should have been posting Film Crit Hulk’s reviews every week as he nails the psychology of this season in a way some of the angriest complainers really could have done with comprehending. Here’s this week’s https://www.patreon.com/posts/ted-lasso-s2-ep-56886865

It doesn’t address the issue that I’ve stated like half a dozen times. It’s tone deaf with power dynamics to have Rebecca and Sam to be together or put any emotional stakes in it because she’s his boss. Any justification of this is just insanely tone deaf. Even if the show played it as morally questionable but “true love” it would work better than them just saying “it’s fine!” Also, older men dating too young and being raked over the coals for this, but Sam’s supposed to be what? 23? 24? And Rebekah is supposed to be what? 50’s? That’s a huge age gap. If the genders were flipped it would be “gross”.

I want Roy and the teacher to be together because Keely has become a shell of her former character.

The drop off in quality here is worse than the last two seasons of Game of Thrones. At least there everyone acting like idiots fit with what we had seen prior.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

the show has managed to convince me they should break up keeley and roy now that two of my favorite characters no longer get interesting plots bc they're stuck in dumb dating plots every episode since mid season, so i guess well done writers. i just want more roy plots that dont center on him being a good boyfriend. the beginning of the season stuff with him doing commenting and then joining the coaching staff were all so good. and god idk how they're going to fix keeley but she kinda sucks now, let her be fun again please.

Her and Ted not hanging out hugely hurt. They had a great friendship and it really helped flesh out both of them.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

See guys!! I told you revealing sources is icky!! I win!!

Same!!!

And that was the best episode of The season.

It’s still distant to season 1, but good job not totally loving up the landing.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Squashing Machine posted:

Not really looking forward to watching this finale tonight. Season 2 has been a complete mess. Ted has been rendered essentially a side character in his own show, and it became apparent halfway through the season that secondary characters who worked well as seasoning (Roy and Keeley's stuff is especially apparent in this) just don't function as a main course. The stakes are thready when they exist at all and the quirky comedy has been replaced with soap opera melodrama covered with a tarp of British swears to make you think it's still the show you loved under there.

Weirdly enough, this season has reminded me of season 2 of One Punch Man. The show doesn't seem to know what to do with itself now that essentially everyone, with a few exceptions, is on Ted's side, so he gets relegated to the sideline while we get subjected to increasingly cloying manufactured relationship drama. Rebecca's wonderful two-faced scheming from Season 1 is replaced with playing App Store grabass and giggling about boys with Keeley. What should have been big, impactful revelations about Ted's past are undercut by bizarre pacing and weird thematic choices (the intercutting with Rebecca's recounting of finding her dad boning Miss Crumpetfield or whoever as though that's the emotional equivalent of being two rooms over when your dad shoots himself in the head just completely let all the air out of a scene the show has been setting up since the darts game). The delight at Roy being a teddy bear juxtaposed against his harsh persona has given way to him just being a teddy bear all the time and telling Keeley how great she is. Sam is written as so aggressively good-natured that you never get a sense of what he actually wants or if he has anything more than vague opinions about anything at all. The only people I'm not exhausted with are the ones used sparingly enough to escape the black hole of writing that's annihilating the core of the show; Higgins, Jamie Tartt, and to a lesser extent Beard, whose big night out was the first time I registered myself as actually having a good time watching this season.

At the end of the day, Season 2 has broken Season 1's spell of underdog spirit and genuine affect, and now just feels like a bunch of rich and famous people screwing around while a football club randomly wins or loses in the distant background. It's going to need a massive course correction in the writer's room before Season 3, but I'm not going to be surprised if they dig their heels in against "the haters" and render the show basically unwatchable. Optimism only gets you so far; eventually, you have to actually put the work in.

While I liked the overall season more than you, and the finale did a lot to save face with the issues, I agree with a lot of these criticisms.

Also they’ve already said two characters are back next season, but the only one I care about is the school teacher because I want her with Roy now over Keely.

Keely this season has uh, been a huge misstep.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Zero One posted:

Roy continues to be very bad at understanding other people and their emotions. His first reaction to Keeley turning down his surprise 6 week trip as she is trying to start a new business was to ask if they were breaking up. His reaction to not being in the Vanity Fair photos was also pretty immature. He still has a lot of growing to do although he has taken some small steps this season.

Keely has been a not great girlfriend this season. Like Roy’s bone headed, but Keely is treating him like a sexy chew toy rather than a partner. The teacher was the opposite. Playful but treated him like an adult.

Keely may have been my favorite character in season one. I actively dislike her as she has become a perfect girl boss character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Calling Roy’s lack of caring about the kiss a micro aggression is dumb.