Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm 100% shipping Sam and Rebecca. It's gonna happen. Just like Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Hughlander posted:

Felt that way all through a S1 rewatch.

Yeah, they had that cute little scene together and she just gave him a compliment. Even if they don't wind up together I think the writing is very well done. Just little flirtations and small feelings never get time to shine in most shows.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

That was a great episode of Ted Lasso. It felt great, but I'm sure it's going to lead to a lot of drama later.

Yeah. Big ones. Like, international issue big ones.

Unfounded prediction:

Both Rebecca and Ted are going to have to legitimately become their alter egos later in the season. Rebecca will have to fire Sam, and Ted will have to be a dick when the rest of the team (led by Jamie) threaten to not play until he's brought back.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 7, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That may have been the first time I played on my phone through a Ted Lasso episode. This episode shows how easy it is to slip from sweet and heartwarming to saccharine. I do have a bad feeling that this might also be the last really happy moment in the show for awhile. There's gonna be some really big problems that start coming from calling out a country's government and a major sponsorship soon.

edit:
speculation I really think Sam is going to be fired. There's gonna be no choice for Rebecca and Ted, and he may not get to play anywhere ever again either. I'm sure they'll find a spin or it will resolve by the end of the season, but I think that's a very real possibility. The show is pretty grounded all things considered, this last episode not withstanding. Sam getting Kaepernicked just feels like something they would tackle.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 14, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know, after the latest episode I am even more skeptical that any bit of drama or character tension will last beyond a single episode, let alone resolved in any way beyond Ted making some folksy comment and smiling.

Yeah, adding in silly love story moments with characters breaking the fourth wall for no reason, and now hinting at Ted/Rebecca is starting to feel like they're laying it on a bit thick. I'm sure the shoe will drop eventually, but it's giving me a toothache waiting for it.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 20, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think they may play the dating app off as a really long form joke. Like we're expecting Sam or Ted but it's gonna wind up being Nate or her ex or something.

Scott Forstall posted:

The fourth wall breaking couple was a reference to When Harry Met Sally. The episode was full of references to romcoms, you’ve got mail, the wedding planner, sleepless in Seattle, jerry MacGuire , when Harry met sally, etc.

Oh! Thank you. It just seemed so weird and out of place.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 20, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think this is a very Ted Lasso thing to say:

Now we just have to figure out what LDN152 means and we can beat the game! pat ourselves on the back as if it wasn't foreshadowing!

London 152? Anyone know a character's address?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Back in Premier this year, win Premier league season 3.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Having your team relegated sounds just awful. But it also means eventually they'll be in a league where they can win some and lose some. So you don't wind up with trash fires like the Browns or Lions or Bucs where they're just perennial losers. Sure the Browns and Bucs have had some good seasons recently, but they're usually abysmal.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think it might be the only thing she outright stated on the show that lead to the divorce.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I feel stupid I ever doubted this show.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
True, but this is gonna make Rebecca firing Sam hit even harder. I still think that's coming.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

I think the culmination of this season will be Ted having to sack Nate, as a way of demonstrating that his commitment to coaching people has to have limits

That would be interesting. Also I know we've still got a few more episodes to go, but this season just isn't nearly as good as last season. It feels like it's missing something, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a lack of an antagonist? Besides Nate, obviously.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Oh, don't get me wrong. I still think the show is way better than most other shows, I just don't think they caught that season 1 magic in a bottle with this one and I can't figure out what the difference is.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Am I the only person that thought this episode of Ted Lasso was just kind of "meh"? I mean, a lot happened in it but I just don't feel like anything besides the Ted/Doc stuff is going to have any impact act all. Maybe the Sam/Rebecca stuff if it gets out and she gets dragged for it, but I doubt it will seeing how they handled calling out the sponsor.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, the Rebecca/Sam thing is about as weird as her ex-husband dating the 20 year old and having a kid. I thought I would like it until I actually saw it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Because the show is kinda boring this season.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Rebecca was also an antagonist until the next to last episode. Was a pretty big thread through the entire first season.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
How many episodes is this season?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

EL BROMANCE posted:

They said there were two extra episodes dropped in, so the second it was announced this weeks was focused on him it felt obvious this was the other throwaway one.

Ok good. Was worried there was only one episode left.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Escobarbarian posted:

The Ted Lasso backlash entirely exists on the internet lmao

My girlfriend gave up watching it week to week after the Xmas show. She's not just on the internet. I think this season has been kinda meandering and boring with no stakes. I'm not just in the internet. Of the like five of us discussing it on here there's a few that have the same complaints.

The show is still good, it's just not as good as that first season.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

MiddleOne posted:

Shows can be exceptional, novel, interesting or just really competent. Ted Lasso had novelty going for it by being a anti-soap opera that flipped tropes of the genre at its head. Problem is that now that the novelty has dropped due to the premise being basically fully explored (as is growing more evident by the episode) it's just a competent but poorly paced show.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just disappointing.

I think you nailed it with that explanation.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
They're only doing three seasons correct? I think they can turn this season around with two really strong closing episodes and then hopefully be back in form for the final season when they beat Man City in the FA Cup.

I would also like to point out that this show has taught me what the FA Cup is and I think it's one of the coolest things in sports.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
What pathos? Ted talking about his dad is the only thing I can think of the entire season. There was way more pathos last season.

Edit:
I guess Jamie and his dad could fit in there too.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Isn't that normal for streaming services? That way they can charge another $5 a month for an ad-free version? I think Netflix is the only one that doesn't do that stuff. Even HBO is jamming previews of their shows before streaming now.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I've been debating just going back to pirating everything since there's commercials and like five hundred streaming sites now.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Can't wait to get those flaccid "please stop downloading" letters from AT&T again.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That was a super sitcomy episode of Ted Lasso. Everything besides Dani being helped off the bus because of his shoes fell flat for me. And then they ran that joke into the ground too. I really hope they crush the season finale. If it remains the same level I'm probably just binge the final season instead of watching week to week. Decent show still, but it's definitely missing some of the magic of the first season.

Maybe asking for a multiseason show based on a 2 minute ESPN joke was too much.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, I'm not happy about it either. It was such a tight well written show the first season.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It's pretty heavily implied he did it after kissing Keely. He spit on the mirror and made a power play. Just like in the restaurant.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

ihatepants posted:

Does anyone else think Akufo is suspicious? Wouldn’t shake hands with Ted but would with Sam, says he doesn’t believe in billionaires but flaunts all the money he’s spending to court Sam. Feels like he wants Sam for good press to cancel out skeletons in his closet.

Yup! But the fact that he's played by Sam Richardson means I will be on that character's side forever. That dude is a fantastic actor, funny as hell, and from the few interviews and podcasts I've heard him on seems like a genuinely nice person.

Edit:
Everyone should watch The Detroiters. Very different kinds of humor, but he's hilarious in it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Wow, did you steal that from somewhere?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The pacing this season has been horrible.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This show is way more "sitcomy" this season. And before I get another smug "it's always been a sitcom hth" response, I'm saying this season is waaaaaaay more far fetched and unbelievable than the first season. Granted, the whole premise is silly but this year we've had:

1. A sponsor and NATIONAL GOVERNMENT get called out in public with no backlash what soever

2. An asinine Christmas episode

3. Ted pretending be a different yelly personality

4. A group of people singing an internet meme at a funeral

5. An eccentric billionaire landing helicopters on the field and buying up museums and restaurants to impress someone

6. Pretty much everything to do with Sam/Rebecca

7. An absurd (but at least somewhat enjoyable) adventure with a bunch of side characters

They basically fast forwarded through the "slow decline" phase of television writing and jumped directly into like season 7 sitcom shenanigans.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, I thought that and was wrong. I also thought Rebecca would have to fire Sam and I was wrong.

Edit:
And I still think those two things would have been better than what we got

Robobot fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 2, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You can still like the season. Just because I have issues with the writing doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

HTH

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You just called me out for a list of like 7 oddball things that don't mesh with the first season by saying a team building exercise was the same as a billionaire renting a museum and filling it with actors and Banksy.

Come on now.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ah, you're one of those fans. I'm not attacking you or the things you like. I like this show too, it's just a lot different this season and I liked the first season more.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You're right. I was kinda being a dick there and didn't mean to be. I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Gonna be hilarious if it's for like one flashback of Roy's young career and that's it.

But I'm sure that trophy is gonna come into play one way or another.