Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

A word about Strava. Even if you have a privacy zone, there is a good chance your info will show up via the heat map function. Take a look at your house on the map, and you will see a pretty clear trail leading right to where you keep your bike. Yes, you can opt out, but they do not purge past data right away. It may take up to a month. Heat maps also show the secret military bases all over Africa and the Middle East. Pretty easy to spot an orange dot in the middle of the dessert, with segments name Base Perimeter Run, etc. And also get the names of the people on base and deduce their patterns. I am still amazed that all of that data is still there.

I don't really blame Strava for the military bases thing. Not posting your daily runs on social media doesn't seem like an unreasonable ask to make of those deployed to secret military bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

gohuskies posted:

Not posting your daily runs on social media doesn't seem like an unreasonable ask to make of those deployed to secret military bases.

I know what you mean. But when it comes to security, computer, home, business, etc., you always have to assume that a certain percentage of end users are just loving idiots, or refuse to listen to direction. And depending on the user to always do the right thing is a sure way to end up in trouble. If your CO says not to make segments like "Perimeter run past all the secret motion detectors and the hidden manned spider trap", you can be pretty sure someone will make such a segment. Just like grandpa will always click the fishing link on the Your Bankcard Has Been Hacked email.

On the gravel bike note, my warrantied Praxis ring still has not arrived, so I will be on the road tomorrow on the freshly warrantied Giant Propel that my dumbass broke by riding into a parked car last month.

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 5, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
What is strava to do, get top level clearance with all of the worlds militaries so they can make sure
To black out any secret bases from their heat map?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Strava should ensure that are nations best have enough personal responsibility and self awareness to not upload secret poo poo to social media. duh.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
How secret can a military base actually be? Like everyone in the area sees tanks and poo poo driving through a gate and are like "what's that?" No one knows, one of life's mysteries." But then they get on strava and are like oh poo poo some guy's running over there!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

They could just check google maps for the secret bases

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

jamal posted:

How secret can a military base actually be? Like everyone in the area sees tanks and poo poo driving through a gate and are like "what's that?" No one knows, one of life's mysteries." But then they get on strava and are like oh poo poo some guy's running over there!

You joke, but yet...

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Exactly. And 2 years later, nothing has changed.

The article states you cannot get individual user info out of the map. This is true, you can't get it from the heat map. But you can use the Segment Explore feature in the main Strava web site, and zoom/pan in the area you were looking at in Heat Maps until you find segments in the middle of nowhere. From that, you can now get Strava user names, dates, times, all the good stuff.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Turns out there are three different gravel races in Iowa on October 3rd. That feels a little ridiculous. On the bright side, that means registrations are going to be spread pretty thin so all I have to do is pick the least popular race and I could end up with a properly distant peloton.

Today's ride had another good gravel dog.

A solid b road with a rather large tree that didn't get destroyed by the derecho.

And a convoy pulled off a side road right in front of me and I got a nice gravel dust sunset pic.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone in here have any experience with Gravel/Fat electric bikes?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

All of the trails around here specifically say no electric bikes. :shrug:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FogHelmut posted:

Fuuuuuck, i'm currently torn between getting a gravel bike and a gravel/fat tire ebike.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

ElMaligno posted:

Fuuuuuck, i'm currently torn between getting a gravel bike and a gravel/fat tire ebike.

get a regular one and get your legs to be stronk, no need for a motor :getin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

on the other hand,,,,

gently caress da mods

Development
Jun 2, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

on the other hand,,,,

gently caress da mods

don't listen to this dude, this is exactly how cyclists lose access to trails

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BraveUlysses posted:

on the other hand,,,,

gently caress da mods

Or you could not, this is why a lot of cyclists hate e-bikes and e-bikers. This is a sure fire way to lose access to trails.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Pissing off local land managers by breaking the rules will more likely lead to all bikes having access removed. You may hate the rules and think they are unfair, which is another discussion, but making matters worse right now will not help out anyone on 2 wheels IMO. Remember, regardless of if you have a motor or not, most all of the hikers hate us and would love for all wheels to go away. It would be better to be proactive in your communities to promote better acceptance of e-bikes if it's change you'd like to see.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
cyclists who hate e-bikes can go gently caress themselves sideways imho

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

DELETE CASCADE posted:

cyclists who hate e-bikes can go gently caress themselves sideways imho

Thanks for your relevant and nuanced commentary on an issue that is 100% black and white.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't like e-mtbs on trails where they aren't allowed.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

bicievino posted:

Thanks for your relevant and nuanced commentary on an issue that is 100% black and white.

you're welcome, it literally is. notice that i said "cyclists who hate e-bikes" and not any variation of "cyclists who hate e-bikes being used in places where e-bikes are not allowed"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you're welcome, it literally is. notice that i said "cyclists who hate e-bikes" and not any variation of "cyclists who hate e-bikes being used in places where e-bikes are not allowed"

Isn't that where this discussion has been?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Pretty sure nobody has said the first part but go off

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Oh, fair, in that case, thanks for your post that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i didnt meant to do this

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

DELETE CASCADE posted:

thanks for weighing in on this 🙏

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Why are e-bikes not allowed in places me-bikes are, anyway? Is it the weight, assumed lack of rider experience, or a fire hazard?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The forest service for one considers them a motorized vehicle. Which they are. So they can only go where, say, a dirt bike can be used.

The DOI, which includes BLM land and national parks, is a little different and is leaning toward allowing them basically anywhere you can ride a bike.

Private land owners, cities, and states all have their own rules about them. Our local land trust that has been letting us build mtb trails doesn't allow them for example, even though one location would actually be a pretty good spot to allow ebikes.

I kind of prefer the forest service approach where it's clear where you can and can't use them, but admit it might have been a little heavy handed. In our city there are some places where it's not clear and I see ebikes out where I'm pretty sure you can't ride them but the city needs to go and actually list the places/trails/roads you can and can't ride them.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 25, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Why are e-bikes not allowed in places me-bikes are, anyway? Is it the weight, assumed lack of rider experience, or a fire hazard?
Here is a list of things that may or may not apply to certain areas:
-Trail Damage
-Trail user conflict
-Keeping the number of trail users down to a manageable level without having to deal with limited permit issuing
-allow solitude to be a reward for hard work
-speed
-non-motorized trails are made specifically to escape a heavily motorized world
-blanket ban is easier than policing the wild west of e-bikes in the US

e: I'm of the position that class-1 ebikes should be allowed anywhere bikes are allowed.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Some additional context - I work for a Land Trust that historically hasn't allowed bikes of any kind on our preserves (trail damage, impact to T&E species, conflict with hikers, etc). We are exploring/testing allowing MTB at a few places and I can GUARANTEE you that if e-Bikes show up and start flying around our leadership will shut the whole experiment down immediately.

Please obey the rules. Not just for today, but for decades to come.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Here is a list of things that may or may not apply to certain areas:
-Trail Damage
-Trail user conflict
-Keeping the number of trail users down to a manageable level without having to deal with limited permit issuing
-allow solitude to be a reward for hard work
-speed
-non-motorized trails are made specifically to escape a heavily motorized world
-blanket ban is easier than policing the wild west of e-bikes in the US

e: I'm of the position that class-1 ebikes should be allowed anywhere bikes are allowed.

I try to stay away from most of these as they're the same arguments used against regular mountain bikes.

The "has a motor on it" thing I think is the big one, and motorized vs not seems like a much clearer line than amount/type of assist.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 25, 2020

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I assume it's because no regulating body has decided where to draw a line between an e-bike and this,

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model/zero-fx

and how that relates to trail damage and pedestrian safety. I mean, no sane person would go for hikes on ORV trails.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Mountain bikes and bikers seem to totally trash trails. I say keep them to specifically designed MTB trails and no where else.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There’s a lot of home brew ebikes that are just electric motorcycles where the builder is skirting around the law by putting useless pedals on there, or wink wink limiting it to 20mph. I can see why it’s easier to just say no motors than try to deal with a population that has some bad faith actors.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

This is loving violence.

Tigren posted:

Mountain bikes and bikers seem to totally trash trails. I say keep them to specifically designed MTB trails and no where else.

Sane places do something like work with local MTB groups to do trail maintenance and fix damage to trails, improve them, make them safer for multi use, etc.

MTBs can certainly put a lot of wear on trails but I think most mountain bikers would be happy to help maintain the trails for everyone (whether through manual labor or financially supporting groups that do the work) if it keeps access open for them as well.

I'm kinda ambivalent on e-mountain bikes in places other than two things...for one, it sometimes gives access to people who have no business riding those kind of trails/fire roads/etc...like they don't have the bike handling skills, the awareness of how to ride around others safely, etc. Seeing someone shooting up the fire road at you at 20mph while wobbling all over the place is slightly terrifying.
And that's kind of my other issue...people who use them to just gun it uphill, which I feel gets kinda dangerous because it's out of the normal boundaries of what people are expecting. It's a real wtf moment when you're coming down something and someone is flying uphill at you at about the same speed as you. Less time to react and figure out how to manage the situation safely.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

My weekend gravel ride plans were burned out, so I'm waiting until next month for some Oregon adventures (assuming the burning has stopped). Until then, thinking back on doing the Tour de Chequamegon in northern WI two years ago...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, I'm still trying to find a good 38(ish)x650b mud tire for my Trek. I have 42mm Babyshoe Pass tires on it at the moment but I'm nervous about putting 42mm Pumpkin Ridge tires on because I think the knobs will get too close to the fender. Anyone know of something good in the 38-40mm range? 650b pls.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Have you already ruled out gravel kings?

e: nevermind, the knobbly versions start at 43mm

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 27, 2020

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

No, but I admit I became a bit lost while doing GK research. Correct me if any of this is wrong: the standard GK is a slick/herringbone that comes in a bunch of sizes. I don't want another herringbone. There's also a GK Mud that comes in 650b... 40mm? 38mm? Maybe? But their site doesn't list it anymore? And there's a GK EXT that only comes in 700c (?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It’s weird that Rene Herse doesn’t have a knobbed 650 38 tire. Maybe they’ll get to that size next.