Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ArfJason posted:

💰 <---- THIS, TO ME

PM sent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Plinkey, you running into the other thread and being a surly rear end in a top hat then coming back here and trying to use my warning in a different thread to evade accountability in your own thread is really not helping your case. Also, that post only applied to the other thread, not this one. You should be answering people's legitimate questions.

Folks in this thread, this fund has done a lot of good, I would ask folks who have legitimate things they would like Plinkey to answer to post them here and leave the shitposting out of it. There's reasonable things to hold Plinkey accountable for and people who need help from his fund. Please don't interfere with either of those things.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Plinkey posted:

Azathoth, i would like you to answer to this, it's a personal attack on me and what i've done for almost 4 years

My dude, operate a charity fund where you specifically treat anyone asking for accountability with sneering contempt. If you're not going to make even the barest minimum effort to not look shady as hell, you shouldn't be surprised when people assume the worst about you.

Either address the legitimate calls for reasonable transparency, something with another fund on this website operated the same way manages, and which a second fund (whose thread you decided to poo poo on this morning) is trying to do, or deal with people calling your character into question. Simple as.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you look at the most recent post in the other thread, it's starting to seem like if plinkey wanted to run this like the UK fund (e.g., above the board) he'd need at least 1 full time certified accountant to keep it straight.

Even just skimming the IRS documents make me feel pretty drat certain that other fund is not gonna be able to get off the ground without money coming in to bootstrap the organizational infrastructure.

Then he needs to figure out a way to have basic accountability without that. There's plenty of mutual aid funds, food shelves, and other small charitable projects that can and do make it work with funds at or below what he takes in. He's been offered help from multiple people on this front, he should take any one of those people up on it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Also not cool that Az is perpetuating insinuations with the authority of his position in spite of that

It will be good and do a lot to address concerns when he does that. I hope he follows through with that and doesn't just not do it, like when he said he was gonna set up as a proper charity a couple years ago and then didn't do that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zeron posted:

It'd be a lot easier for things to cool down if an Admin wasn't condoning and calling for unsubstantiated personal attacks against a specific poster. Plinkey literally came back after all of this had happened and has spent posts after that addressing peoples concerns, with remarkable constraint considering the harassment you've personally supported.

He decided to go into the other fund's thread and poo poo it up. He then came into this thread and tried to use my post over there to evade answering a question here. I haven't seen anything but a promise that in a couple weeks he will do something, which is outweighed by his actions specifically today.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

bebop esq posted:

He did state multiple times (I think) that he talked to a lawyer about setting up a charity and was told it was basically not worth it since the donations would be considered "gifts" under a certain amount. Plinkey can clarify further of course.

I've looked into setting up a 501(c)(3) before and I would very much like him to detail why the fund is hard to set up because I'm not seeing it. There's numerous platforms that will do all the reporting stuff for less than Patreon is taking, and offer accountability and all I've heard back is vague "it would be too hard".

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

redneck nazgul posted:

just permaban him for being a scammer already, you've already made up your mind that he's a bad dude. a bunch of people who used the goon fund will probably get screwed but, hey, QCS was just really concerned that some poor goons might have gotten bamboozled when they weren't laughing at the idea of goons being bamboozled.

You can come down off the cross whenever you would like. Plinkey has a reasonable path forward and it's up to him to walk it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

You are straight up openly hostile to Plinkey right now. I hope you can see that.
If you know something, say it.

If not, you're just making things worse by amplifying baseless speculation that requires you actively ignoring the good that has come from the existence of the fund. And you're doing that as an admin.

He said he provided information to Jeff, is going to provide additional information in time.
Antagonism based on "this doesn't feel right" is not constructive.

Here is what I know. Plinkey is acting exactly like someone guilty of skimming funds would act. That's it, that's all I know. I'm not going to run people out of this thread for pointing out the same. He looks and acts guilty as hell. Now, that isn't to say he's actually doing anything wrong, but right now he's a massive flashing warning red flag.

He's done a lot of good for the forums but doing some real good doesn't make him look better here. He needs to provide transparency, and he's been offered help to do that. If he is unwilling or unable to do that, well then he needs to deal with people saying he looks shady because no one's gonna start probing people for pointing out something that looks really, really bad.

To be clear, I don't think Plinkey is actually skimming, but when dealing with charity and other people's money, the appearance of impropriety is nearly as bad as impropriety itself and I cannot in good conscience turn a blind eye to that. Plinkey has a path to address reasonable concerns, and now he needs to follow through.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Okay, I'm done here. Plinkey knows what he needs to do. Now he needs to do it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Okay, mean culpa time. I'm reading over my posts and I'm embarrassed.

I got heated and I hosed up, said things I shouldn't have said and I'd like to personally apologize to Plinkey. He's said he will address the accountability concerns and I should have taken him at his word on that. He's done more real world good than I have, by a large margin, and that should and does count for something. I'm sorry that I made someone who used the fund feel like they needed to come here and defend it, and talk about personal stuff.

I was over the line and I am truly sorry.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I hope you realize you got spun up in this the same exact way that crew used to play fluffdaddy
like beat for beat, it's the same cycle playing out

I hate this, but yeah.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Okay, everyone who I 6ered consider yourselves on notice in this thread. It's pretty clear none of you have any interest in anything but starting poo poo in here and are just piggybacking on the calls for accountability. You've got a wholeass thread where you can discuss drama to your heart's content, post about the goonfund in there, not here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Foo Diddley posted:

hello, i am exceedingly pissed off about something that i am not involved with in the least, and that in even the absolute worst case still helps people. mainly what i'm angry about is that someone from a forum that i hate is doing something good

i'd like to screech about this for a while, and maybe poo poo and piss myself while i'm throwing my tantrum. is this the right thread for that

if we could also stop this kind of thing on the other side, I would appreciate it