Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thunderbolt and lighting connector very frightening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

go play outside Skyler posted:

e: how does this work exactly?

it doesn't, it's still only 5 volts

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
usb-c is female b/c ostensibly u want the weak point with moving parts to be replaceable

turns out the usb-c female port is a fuzzmagnet

lightning is a more durable design but u just know if they opened it up the cheap rear end chinese female plug knockoffs would be flimsy a.f.

I also dont think it has enough pins for alt-mode usb-c stuff so who knows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

the trick nbsd is to realise most people aren’t you and live in a society

a society where lightning makes all the sense and usb c is lame

what they should have done is made lightning 2 which is 1000% reverse compatible with lightning one

i don't really have an opinion about one being better it just annoys me that there are two different connectors that do pretty much the same thing and i have to have chargers and cabling for both of them

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Captain Foo posted:

beep, what do you think jesus was fastened with?

i thought they used icicles like when john mcclain stabbed that one dude in the eye in diehard 2

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Malcolm XML posted:

usb-c is female b/c ostensibly u want the weak point with moving parts to be replaceable

lightning is a more durable design but u just know if they opened it up the cheap rear end chinese female plug knockoffs would be flimsy a.f.

Also it is good practice for the connector that provides power to be female. Harder to accidentally short power pins together that way.

I haven’t heard of that being a problem for lightning, but I would imagine it’s easier to short a power pin to ground on lightning than it is to do so on usbc.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

design wise lightning is superior to virtually all other connectors because male means male etc.. like usb c male is some kind of weird urethra docking situation because a flimsy connector bit in the female has to go into the middle of the male bit

yes this means the connectors “exposed” on lightning but this is is solved by handshaking handled by the controllers, which is far superior to adding a flimsy and hard to clean thing like usbc

lightning has 8 connector bits on each side. I suppose due to its both-ways nature that one side is redundant, but that’s still plenty

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't really have an opinion about one being better it just annoys me that there are two different connectors that do pretty much the same thing and i have to have chargers and cabling for both of them

I am annoyed too, especially since Apple seem to be ditching lightning for usbc, because they don’t have any courage

unfortunately we just can’t have a world of lightning and soon, now as usb-a seems to be a standard that’s installed in houses and airports, we are moving to a usbc both-ends-of-the-cable standard which no one wants but apple and other phone manufactures seem happy to provide

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

when lightning was announced there was tons of theorizing about them maybe using dynamic pin mapping etc but yeh it ended up being plain symmetry of the same conductors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

I am annoyed too, especially since Apple seem to be ditching lightning for usbc, because they don’t have any courage

unfortunately we just can’t have a world of lightning and soon, now as usb-a seems to be a standard that’s installed in houses and airports, we are moving to a usbc both-ends-of-the-cable standard which no one wants but apple and other phone manufactures seem happy to provide

i'm not going to plug anything into an untrusted usb port

as long as they provide actual y'know power jacks we're all good

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lightning is usb 3.0; usb-c is usb 3.0

both carry significant power

both fit into 5mm spaces

I understand that connector design is not arbitrary but these are very similar connectors. it seems like lightning was just a mistake

very few lightning devices are usb 3, only the lightning ipads pro, a camera adapter, and i think the lightning to usb-c cable do usb 3

the thirstiest lightning device pulls 30w at 5v, the thirstiest usb-c devices pull 100w at 20v,

usb-c is bigger than lightning to the point that the apple pencil would have to be bigger or have a hosed up shape to fit one, and the remote is only 6mm thick so an extra mm of connector is actually significant

the only mistakes are you're posts

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Malcolm XML posted:

the fuzzmagnet wrecks my fuckin phone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve had to clean out the lightning port in order to make my phone charge once ever

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ive had pocket lint get in there before from jeans

a toothpick plucks it out easily tho

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i’ve had to clean out the lightning port in order to make my phone charge once ever

i've done this twice. just used a toothpick to get the pocket lint out and it was ez

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine the tears that would stream from a usb-c based phone if you mentioned that

usb-c basically need oxen and a ploughing too get clean

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

very few lightning devices are usb 3, only the lightning ipads pro, a camera adapter, and i think the lightning to usb-c cable do usb 3

the thirstiest lightning device pulls 30w at 5v, the thirstiest usb-c devices pull 100w at 20v,

usb-c is bigger than lightning to the point that the apple pencil would have to be bigger or have a hosed up shape to fit one, and the remote is only 6mm thick so an extra mm of connector is actually significant

the only mistakes are you're posts

sounds like lightning was an unfinished series of product planning errors :smug:

seriously, though, i am not going to leap to defend any sequence of decisions that led to me, in 2019, carrying two duplicate, non-interchangeable sets of cabling in my bag.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

i thought my phone was broken so i took it to the apple store and they had a lady with a jeweler's loupe clean it out but good

i felt real dumb but my phone works now so, uh, good hustle, guys

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

imagine the tears that would stream from a usb-c based phone if you mentioned that

usb-c basically need oxen and a ploughing too get clean

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i thought my phone was broken so i took it to the apple store and they had a lady with a jeweler's loupe clean it out but good

i felt real dumb but my phone works now so, uh, good hustle, guys

yeah aren’t you meant to be a galaxy brain computer nerd

who when the phone doesn’t charge just assumes the whole thing is broken rather than turning it upside down and opening your eyes????

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

no

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

yeah aren’t you meant to be a galaxy brain

those are made by samsung which is probably why he couldnt figure out the apple device

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

who when the phone doesn’t charge just assumes the whole thing is broken rather than turning it upside down and opening your eyes????

my eyes are not very good, and it looked fine to me. i assumed the connector had come loose from the pcb or something. you know, an ordinary strain problem after two years of daily connections and disconnections.

also it took a person with much sharper eyes and a jeweler's loupe to clean it properly, so i guess i wasn't totally off-base

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

heh. yeah. im a real galaxy brain. also known to be quite the touchwiz with the ladies. :smugdroid:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

President Beep posted:

heh. yeah. im a real galaxy brain. also known to be quite the touchwiz with the ladies. :smugdroid:

we've reached peak yospos

just shut this poo poo down we're never gonna be able to parody sh/sc better than this

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we've reached peak yospos

just shut this poo poo down we're never gonna be able to parody sh/sc better than this

one guy being repeatedly and consistently wrong and in denial about it to the point where they make up a new definition for “duplicate” is pretty sh/sc, yeah, you should go there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

one guy being repeatedly and consistently wrong and in denial about it to the point where they make up a new definition for “duplicate” is pretty sh/sc, yeah, you should go there

no it's extremely sh/sc for someone to insist that the cables that do the same things for similar devices are very different because one of them conforms to a standards revision from two years later than the other

you're keeping the flame alive cocoa

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what about reversible micro usb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whenever I have to plug in mini/micro (whichever one is newer) usb, the one people call “samsung charger”, I feel ill, because of how terrible and bad it is. did you know it only goes one way in? and has a horrible spring clippy thing?

sick

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

echinopsis posted:

whenever I have to plug in mini/micro (whichever one is newer) usb, the one people call “samsung charger”, I feel ill, because of how terrible and bad it is. did you know it only goes one way in? and has a horrible spring clippy thing?

sick

not as warm and crunchy as the old 30 pin but not far off when they get worn down

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

holy moly

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

ive had pocket lint get in there before from jeans

a toothpick plucks it out easily tho

ive had to clean my iphone 5 port twice. its p amazing the amount of compacted lint that can get in there

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol gently caress now I remember why I wanted to buy toothpicks when I was at the store the other day

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

lol gently caress now I remember why I wanted to buy toothpicks when I was at the store the other day

buy two packs of those flossers things, keep one in your car and one in your work desk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dang. graph takes keeping his lightning port clean very seriously.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
when I buy dirt at the store I carry it home in a big ikea bag instead of in my phone pocket

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

buy two packs of those flossers things, keep one in your car and one in your work desk

also at home at ur computer desk. i loving love those things

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
apple should have made a new, third cable type incompatible with either of the others. that would have been a truly courageous decision.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Uncle Enzo posted:

apple should have made a new, third cable type incompatible with either of the others. that would have been a truly courageous decision.

just usb-c but it's got a weird connector notch because it's magical and does some weird thing, not forward or reverse compatible with usb-c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sounds like you guys are talking about the thunderbolt mini-DisplayPort cable.