Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions! I've changed out for the SN550 and some different RAM:
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 I suppose I'll wait on sale for the mobo and case, unless I get gpu sooner than expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looking to get a GPU that allows me to enable Secure Boot and uses GOP or whatever that is so my machine boots faster.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...219299-pdt.html

Is that a good price for the 1650? User benchmark says it's better than my current AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB Boost.

Or is there a way to update the current GPU to enable Secure Boot?

Anyone? Bueller?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Fallom posted:

Can you separate out the audio line and run it along a different path? That’s what I did for my Define S.

Possibly, I'll have to look at finding some jumper wires and rewire it I guess

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn’t have to rewire anything in mine, the wire was just in a bundle zip tied to the others.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I literally have no idea where to ask this since there is no general PC discussion thread, but I was wondering what web browser everyone thinks is best?

Because I'm using Vivaldi and I love it.

I've never heard of this but I'm a sucker for using a cool new browser that then has compatibility issues with all the web stuff I use for work. Haven't used Chrome in a long time, but how does this compare to firefox?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone? Bueller?

I'm pretty sure that SecureBoot is a security feature that lives on the motherboard, not the GPU.

The quicker boot times will probably be from a faster SSD or NVMe drive rather than the GPU also. The only benefit to upgrading your GPU would be in games for the most part, you won't notice any speed improvements on the basic operation of the PC itself by upgrading just that part.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only thing I see when I do any googling about secure boot and GPUs is some difficulty installing drivers sometimes.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Samadhi posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a shield wrap for the wires that connect the front panel? I am getting EM feedback on things plugged into the front audio ports, and I'm pretty sure it's because the wires are running along the bottom of the case right above the power supply.

Fallom posted:

Can you separate out the audio line and run it along a different path? That’s what I did for my Define S.

Samadhi posted:

Possibly, I'll have to look at finding some jumper wires and rewire it I guess

Fallom posted:

I didn’t have to rewire anything in mine, the wire was just in a bundle zip tied to the others.

Following this with interest, because after finishing my build this past weekend, everything is running perfectly except for the front audio ports, where the headphone sound is terrible (but only for certain apps, oddly, so it may not be a hardware thing), and I cannot get the mic input to be anything other than extremely quiet and scratchy when it's audible at all. The problem is that the connector on the motherboard is in the lower left corner, directly above the power supply, so the wire is going to be near the power supply at least a bit no matter what I do. I'd rather not have to use the back connectors, since part of the entire point was to use the front ones when I wanted to use the headset, but keep the speakers otherwise plugged into the back.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks for the help earlier; I put together a revised build. Would love feedback.

What country are you in? NYC, USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming (web/office/work will stay on my Mac laptop)
What's your budget? Still trying to get the best price/performance ratio at any price point, but let's say max $1500 all in (including monitor). Open to revising that up or down if suggested.
Monitor resolution / refresh rate? Picked a 1440p 144Hz monitor below since that seems to be the current price/performance sweet spot. Again, open to revision (particularly down to 1080p, since I don't want more than a 27" screen).

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1013.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-16 10:41 EST-0500

Questions:
  • My goals are best possible price/performance ratio first, and then as quiet and small as possible next, and ideally with quality onboard audio. Does this seem about right for that?
  • Re: CPU: Should I be bothering to try to source a 3600X or XT? They seem way harder to find in stock and not that much better.
  • Re: CPU cooler: This seemed like the cheapest relevant Noctua. I'm not going to overclock ever and just wanted quieter-than-stock. Is it worth it, or should I swap in something else or just use the stock cooler?
  • Re: Motherboard: This seemed like the best price/performance for me, since I'm going to have a relatively simple build, plus it has nicer-than-average onboard audio. Any other contenders here or should I just go for this, despite the stupid Fatal1ty branding?
  • Re: Storage: Is this good, or is it worth moving up to the Samsung 970 Evo for $40 more?
  • Re: Case: This seems quiet/easy to build in, if a little larger than I actually need. Also has two quiet-seeming fans included. Any other quieter-and-smaller options here? Also, any issue with the M.2 SSD being on the back of my mobo?
  • Re: Monitor: This seemed like the cheapest well-reviewed high-refresh-rate IPS 1440p monitor. Anything I'm missing/any other good options? (I'm also going to ask the monitor thread.)
  • If I were to move down to targeting high refresh rates at 1080p, what would I need to change about the build--anything? Or just cheaper monitor/GPU?

Outside of the GPU all the above seems like it's in stock and at a good price at Newegg, so I kind of want to just grab everything else now--good plan or dumb? Which Discords should I be tracking to try to get a 3060Ti (or a regular 3060 when they're released later this month) for less than $450? And is there any good strategy for interim video cards? (I notice you can get like GT 700-series cards new for ~$70... worth doing? Or is it better to try to get a more recent card used for like $200-300, which seems just as difficult as getting a 3060/Ti at MSRP right now...)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scythe posted:

Questions

You should absolutely be aiming for a 1440p 144hz screen with that budget and not be thinking about going down to a 1080p. You're right to say the Viewsonic is a good budget option there.

If you want a good ITX case, the nr200 is the current hot poo poo and is better than the Fractal Design Nano S in every way - smaller, much better airflow so runs cooler and quieter, greater compatibility, easy to build in, etc etc. The plain version is $80 and the version with a tempered glass side panel and an extra 120mm fan is $100. In your situation I'd just get the standard version and buy a few Arctic P12s as case fans.

There's zero point in the 3600X or XT.

That Noctua is not a good fit in that case - it's designed for low profile sandwich style cases. You can just get a normal tower cooler, checking the clearances are fine. The nr200 lists a clearance of 155mm but coolers up to 157mm fit as verified by everyone (including me) which opens you up to a lot more options. You mentioned quietness as a factor so definitely don't use the stock cooler.

The SN550 is the recommended NVMe for basically everyone for a reason, there's no need to spend more on a Samsung these days.

If you use the nr200 you'd need an SFX PSU, of which there's a few options.

If you stretch your budget a bit, you could even get a 5600x CPU which would help with framerates, although whether that's worth the extra $100 is up to you. You'd then also need to worry about how you'd update the BIOS on your b450 board, or move to a b550 board, which is additional expense and effort you might not want to go to.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRcvCz

Here's a list with a few of the changes I mentioned - you're right on the cusp with your budget and use case where I'd say it could be worth going for the 5600x, but sticking with the 3600 for cost and ease is also totally valid. I'd definitely consider the other changes I suggested though.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 16, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Butterfly Valley posted:

The SN550 is the recommended NVMe for basically everyone for a reason, there's no need to spend more on a Samsung these days.

Why is the SN550 the go to for a build these days? Are the newer PCI-Express 4.0 based ones worth buying if you are building with a board that can support it? Like is the SN850 worth the extra cost?

I am in the process of "researching" a new build, aka just lurking this thread a lot. It's been 10 years since my last build so I am pretty out of the loop with a lot of things. Sorry if I sound dumb here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The more premium SSD don't give any practical benefit for 99% of us. The SN550 is the best overall deal at $100/1TB because it's durable, fast, and from a reputable company.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Malaria posted:

Why is the SN550 the go to for a build these days? Are the newer PCI-Express 4.0 based ones worth buying if you are building with a board that can support it? Like is the SN850 worth the extra cost?

I am in the process of "researching" a new build, aka just lurking this thread a lot. It's been 10 years since my last build so I am pretty out of the loop with a lot of things. Sorry if I sound dumb here.

I'm you 8 months and a build under my belt down the line, we only learn by asking questions and listening!

To answer your questions: at current costs, PCIe 4.0 is a frivolous and useless expense for basically everyone, unless your workload is time critical and involves frequently moving hundreds of GB of files around. There is literally zero difference when it comes to regular gaming and office tasks. Games load just as fast and windows boots just as quickly on decent PCIe 3.0 NVMe drives. The SN550 gets recommended because its the best value TLC (as opposed to QLC) drive which means it should run at the advertised speeds no matter how full the drive is, whereas some of the cheaper drives will get slower the fuller they are.

Building new I'd recommend a b550 board if you can afford it for PCIe 4.0 compatibility, as it's starting to have a small but measurable effect on GPU speeds, as well as giving yourself the option of buying a PCIe 4.0 NVMe when they come down to a more sensible price and start to have actual tangible effects for most people, whenever that may be. It's also just a newer and generally much more feature rich chipset, while being reasonably priced these days.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 16, 2021

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
What country are you in? CA, USSA
What are you using the system for? Linux workstation -- mostly running calculations, might play a little KSP or Factorio if I can carve out a little time, and it will turn into an HTPC eventually.
What's your budget? $1000, but less would be okay.
Monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3840x2160 at 60Hz

I was originally considering about a 3400G, but the prices remain high ($250). It seems like using a 3600 and a discrete graphics card is worth the price increase, but please correct me if I am wrong.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card ($123.73 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $868.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-16 12:34 EST-0500

Questions
  • Having a quiet cooler would be nice, is the H60 overkill?
  • I don't have a good basis for that graphics card and would be open to suggestions.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can someone rattle off some small form factor cases that will handle the new giant GPUs? I am looking to build a console killer to hook to my TV so am looking for something that will fit nicely in my entertainment center.

Is trying to do a gaming PC in a tiny case stupid? Am I stupid?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

cr0y posted:

Can someone rattle off some small form factor cases that will handle the new giant GPUs? I am looking to build a console killer to hook to my TV so am looking for something that will fit nicely in my entertainment center.

Is trying to do a gaming PC in a tiny case stupid? Am I stupid?

There's a better thread for this question, and you'll need to provide more details about the space you have in your entertainment centre and which new giant GPUs you're talking about. The FE 3080 that I have is two slots and under 30cm, whereas the Rog Strix 3060ti is bigger than the FE 3090 (which still fits in some ITX cases)

Generally though, it's absolutely not stupid at all. These days there's a wealth of excellent ITX options, from mini-towers with very little cooling compromises (nr200), to smaller sandwich style cases, to tiny console format options.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 16, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Grumbles posted:

I've never heard of this but I'm a sucker for using a cool new browser that then has compatibility issues with all the web stuff I use for work. Haven't used Chrome in a long time, but how does this compare to firefox?

It uses a modified Chromium engine.

What makes it stand out is how insanely customizable it is and all the features it has. It truly feels like a Web Browser from ten years in the future. Stuff like web panels, detailed history search, and UI customizer makes Firefox and Chrome seem outright archaic. It's a little intimidating starting out but after a day or two there is no going back.

And in case you are like "yeah it has features but what about extensions?" it works with virtually all Chrome extensions.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Upgraded from 16->32gb

The system now uses less ram than before...

:negative:

constant 14gb/32 just idling/mining

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

accipter posted:

I was originally considering about a 3400G, but the prices remain high ($250). It seems like using a 3600 and a discrete graphics card is worth the price increase, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card ($123.73 @ Amazon)

Questions
  • I don't have a good basis for that graphics card and would be open to suggestions.

Lot of money for a 1030, Micro Center is advertising an ASUS GT 1030 2GB for $80 right now that's in stock at my local store in MI. If you want one with a fan, there's an ASUS and a Gigabyte option for $85. For about $140, you can probably get a 1050 of some kind.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Newegg shuffle is live, good luck! https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CloFan posted:

Newegg shuffle is live, good luck! https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle

:toot: May the odds something something or whatever.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lot of money for a 1030, Micro Center is advertising an ASUS GT 1030 2GB for $80 right now that's in stock at my local store in MI. If you want one with a fan, there's an ASUS and a Gigabyte option for $85. For about $140, you can probably get a 1050 of some kind.

What's the AMD comparable card?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

accipter posted:

What's the AMD comparable card?

550 to the 1030. Nothing lines up particularly well to the 1050. A 560 is rather weaker, a 570 rather more powerful.

If you're willing to go used (and can find one at not insane prices) AMDs 500 series the same cards as the 400 series, just overvolted.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Sorry for all these dumb questions, haven't built a gaming rig in a long time.

For a Ryzen 7 3700x + RTX 3080, what size PSU am I looking at? Nothing else should draw much in my head, m2 drives only.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What are the discord part drop servers for Canadian GPU stock availability?

I ordered an EVGA 2070 in loving November from Memory Express and there’s been no shipment this whole time. They said there were 280 orders ahead of me in January so I guess they’re not even shipping 300 a month?

Anyway, just looking to grab one and cancel that ME order.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

cr0y posted:

For a Ryzen 7 3700x + RTX 3080, what size PSU am I looking at? Nothing else should draw much in my head, m2 drives only.

Power supplies are usually ATX, which is similar to ATX motherboards where it's all a standard size. They're all usually about 150mm by 86mm by usually 140mm deep, but sometimes the depth in particular will vary. There are also sfx form factor power supplies, and they include an adapter to mount them in normal atx case mounts, but that's probably not important.

A 650w corsair or evga or similar should be fine. Nvidia does recommend a 750w though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

cr0y posted:

650w should be minimum, 750w+ is recommended if price is fair. If you have a non-founders edition, some cards may need 3x 8-pin, which is an additional consideration.

There was a 850w super flower leadex iii gold two days ago at $120 which is fantastic at current prices (I have one for my 3080 build and it’s great), but it’s sold out.

Check r/buildapcsales for PSUs every day. They’ll call out if they’re lovely or not.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im planning an ITX or mATX build.
whats the current hot poo poo SFF case? Not hot like nzxt h1 please.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Im planning an ITX or mATX build.
whats the current hot poo poo SFF case? Not hot like nzxt h1 please.

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you want a good ITX case, the nr200 is the current hot poo poo

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 17, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
very cool thanks. it looks nice

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

very cool thanks. it looks nice

There's a dedicated SFF thread if you have more questions but yes, it is, I've just built my first PC since I was a dumb teen in one and it was an enjoyable building experience

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

It uses a modified Chromium engine.

What makes it stand out is how insanely customizable it is and all the features it has. It truly feels like a Web Browser from ten years in the future. Stuff like web panels, detailed history search, and UI customizer makes Firefox and Chrome seem outright archaic. It's a little intimidating starting out but after a day or two there is no going back.

And in case you are like "yeah it has features but what about extensions?" it works with virtually all Chrome extensions.

Alright, I installed it yesterday and I'm going to use it for a week. I gotta say, I really like it so far - especially for working from home. I can have all my comms tools like gchat and whatsapp in a little side panel, which is cool. Seems to chew through a lot more RAM than Firefox though.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks again for the help; swapped the case, cooler, PSU, and monitor but don't think I want to upgrade CPUs and deal with that shortage.

What are you using the system for? Gaming (web/office/work will stay on my Mac laptop). Priorities are price/performance ratio, quiet, and small, in that order.
What's your budget? Still trying to get the best price/performance ratio at any price point, but let's say max $1500 all in (including monitor). Open to revising that up or down if suggested.
Monitor resolution / refresh rate? Picked a 1440p 144Hz monitor below since that seems to be the current price/performance sweet spot. Again, open to revision (particularly down to 1080p, since I don't want more than a 27" screen).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($86.98 @ Newegg) (Note: This comes with 2 controllable fans stock, which I'll use for now and swap out if they're too loud.)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 27.0" 2560x1440 170 Hz Monitor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1076.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-17 10:12 EST-0500

Any issues? If not, I'll probably buy the above later today, maybe throwing in this 710 GPU for now while I wait. I was going to try to get a slightly nicer interim card and then give it to my friend who built his system in like 2013, but I can't seem to find a card nicer than his Radeon HD 7950 anywhere for MSRP, so I guess it's best to do cheapest possible. But if anyone does know a nicer-than-that-Radeon available for MSRP, I'd love to hear about it!

I'd still love any recommendations for stock checkers/Discords to watch to try to get a 3060 Ti! Seems like 2/25 is the predicted next drop date?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Scythe posted:

Thanks again for the help; swapped the case, cooler, PSU, and monitor but don't think I want to upgrade CPUs and deal with that shortage.

What are you using the system for? Gaming (web/office/work will stay on my Mac laptop). Priorities are price/performance ratio, quiet, and small, in that order.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($86.98 @ Newegg) (Note: This comes with 2 controllable fans stock, which I'll use for now and swap out if they're too loud.)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 27.0" 2560x1440 170 Hz Monitor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1076.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-17 10:12 EST-0500

Any issues? If not, I'll probably buy the above later today, maybe throwing in this 710 GPU for now while I wait. I was going to try to get a slightly nicer interim card and then give it to my friend who built his system in like 2013, but I can't seem to find a card nicer than his Radeon HD 7950 anywhere for MSRP, so I guess it's best to do cheapest possible. But if anyone does know a nicer-than-that-Radeon available for MSRP, I'd love to hear about it!

I'd still love any recommendations for stock checkers/Discords to watch to try to get a 3060 Ti! Seems like 2/25 is the predicted next drop date?

The Stonks discord is supposed to be a good one, and the Yonkers microcenter has Ryzen 5600s and RTX 3070s allegedly in stock both in Brooklyn and Yonkers if you feel like shopping irl https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966937/video-cards. They seemingly also get 1050s and other placeholder GPUs pretty regularly across the three NYC-area stores.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Here's a few discords for looking for stock:

ATR - Stonks https://discord.gg/j2Dj9EyD

Stockradar https://discord.gg/4rgkaSay

StockAlerts_DataLover https://discord.com/invite/qTCgrfhP4w

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Grumbles posted:

Alright, I installed it yesterday and I'm going to use it for a week. I gotta say, I really like it so far - especially for working from home. I can have all my comms tools like gchat and whatsapp in a little side panel, which is cool. Seems to chew through a lot more RAM than Firefox though.

The biggest downside to Vivaldi is it's overhead. It uses more RAM and CPU than Chrome or Firefox.

If the only thing you like about Vivaldi is the side panel and you want to use a little less RAM and CPU you can just use Opera which is kind of a mainstream dumbed down version of Vivaldi.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's a dedicated SFF thread if you have more questions but yes, it is, I've just built my first PC since I was a dumb teen in one and it was an enjoyable building experience

Mind posting your parts?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Mind posting your parts?

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2djLwz

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for a z490 build what are some of the best value 2tb nvme for a mostly gaming use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the discord shares! Fingers crossed.