Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
So I'm wanting to build a new PC but since it's so close to the 3000 series GPUs, I'm thinking of just getting everything else and sticking my current 2060 in there and waiting for the 3000 series.

The only issue right now is that motherboards are basically all out of stock so pickings are super slim where I am. This is what I'm thinking of getting which is all in stock locally right now:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($428.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($184.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Total: $1038.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 12:47 EDT-0400

Is that motherboard decent or am I going to regret getting it? Ideally I'd like these parts to last for a few years just upgrading the GPU if necessary.

I'm also not opposed to Intel either but it seems like the consensus is to go with Ryzen. Would an i7 9700k be good for a while?

infinite99 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

Klyith posted:

If you can possibly wait a month or so you will get better prices, the newer B550 motherboards should arrive, and the supply crunch will hopefully abate.

A 3600 non-X plus a $30 heatsink is a better buy than the 3600X.

The Asus TUF is ok, the VRM is mediocre but at least is heatsinked and is totally adequate for a 3600. If you think you might upgrade the CPU to a much bigger one later on it's not great, but that isn't something most people will do.

Thanks! I changed my post to a 3700X but is that worth going for? It looks to be an i7 equivalent which I wouldn't mind since I'll be using my computer for work as well as games.

If the TUF is ok for the 3600, is it alright for the 3700X or is that going to be an issue? I don't really plan on doing any overclocking.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

Klyith posted:

It's still ok for a non-overclocked 3700X.

The gigabyte aorus M wifi is just as good VRM-wise and includes wifi for $10 less at newegg CA, if that's of any appeal to you.

Whether a 3700X is worth it for your work is hard to say without knowing your work. For general office stuff, no the 3600 already has more CPU than you need. But if you have some horsepower needs then go for it.

Only on ball-bearing fans, and generally by the time they make audible grinding noise it's too late. Oil will quiet it down for maybe a month, then it'll either be back to noisy or pack in completely.

Thanks again! That gigabyte looked good but unfortunately shipping kills the deal with 30 dollar shipping haha. I think I'll go with the ASUS then if this setup will last a good amount of time.

I do programming though my projects aren't super huge but I think the extra power will come in handy.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

Rookoo posted:

Real strange. The thing just isn't turning on for him. Power jumpers fine etc. The RBG lighting on the mobo itself lights up but it's like the CPU just isn't recieving power, which I'm assuming would cause the power button on the case to do nothing so long as it's hooked up right? Additionally should he expect the mobo status light (The one that turns red/yellow etc.) to work if the CPU isn't getting power? It's unlit as it is now.

Dumb question, but is there a video card plugged in? I thought my board was dead or needed a BIOS flash because there was no display when I tried testing my build with no video card in it. I just connected it to the on board video connections but it turns out there was no on-board video for the Ryzen 3700X. I was used to Intel chips which had on-board video. As soon as I plugged in my video card i got a display and everything is good!