Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Around 500. Trying to recycle parts.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p and I don't know. I'm looking to upgrade my monitor in the future.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.76 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($72.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB 100 Million Edition Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/500 W Power Supply
Power Supply: Silverstone 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home French - OEM DVD 64-bit
Total: $328.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-29 00:25 EDT-0400]

Here is a link the what I am looking at. The case, GPU, and power supply I am looking to recycle while the rest I want to upgrade. Eventually get an SSD and I am hoping they bundle cyberpunk with a GPU when that drops.

My main question is does that all look good? Should I go ahead and get a new power supply as well? Are their any good deals on monitors right now I should get? What about 4k? I am also looking for a mobo that has wifi/Bluetooth on it. Thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I'm way out of the loop on building PCs so can someone tell me what the most cost-effective upgrade I can make is?

Trying to run something like AssCreed Odyssey at 15 FPS in cities is getting too rough.

Current build:

RAM: 16GB DDR3 (NB 2200 MHz / DRAM 666MHz)
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2
CPU: Intel i5 4570
GPU: GeForce GTX 970

I just upgraded from something similar. I kept my 970 and went with a new mobo/3600/ram. My gpu seems to be doing just fine for now.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Hi all just a quick question. I just installed a ryzen 3600 with the stock cooler. I have a matx case with two case fans. Even in balanced mode when I stress the cpu with cpu z or play a game for a while I can regularly reach Temps of over 80c sometimes over 90! I'm using asroc steel legend mobo and software to monitor Temps. Case fans are on 100 percent.

Is this abnormal? I cleaned the filters and fans when I rebuilt to computer so I don't think it's air flow. Did I mount it wrong? Should I grab a fan for the top of the case to blow out or get a new cpu cooler? Any recommendations? I don't care about rgb and don't want water cooling.

Edit: case is a cooler master n200 and supports 120mm fans

Zig-Zag fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 3, 2020

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Over 90c seems extremely high for just playing games. Are you also in a hot/humid room? It could be that software is wrong as well. Try something like:

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

And see if you are getting the same readings. If it's still showing 90+ at points, I would try re-mounting with fresh thermal paste. Air cooling is absolutely perfectly fine these days. If it's *STILL* showing those high temps, maybe think about an aftermarket air cooler.

OK so cpuid shows up to 93c when stressing it for not even 2 minutes. IL try and remount the cooler as soon as I can hunt down some rubbing alcohol, it is sold out everywhere I've gone.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Alright so I reseated my cooler and used ryzen master this time to stress test. Stress test under auto oc took it to about 85c. Game hovered around 70 ish with one spike up to 91 though the game is not graphic intense. So it seems that helped a bit, I may have just put to much paste and maybe the mobo software isn't the best for messing with the cpu. What I will probably do in the future is grab a better cooler when I upgrade my gpu. For now IL just leave it on balanced and see how it goes.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Kullik posted:

yo i got myself a ryzen 7 3700x and my temps are around 40c at idle with a decent cooler (be quiet shadow rock 2) feels like this should be lower but when i google it the results are all over the place, some people having this issue, others saying that its normal, others saying theirs is way lower. anyone else with this cpu or something comparable know whats up here?

Yea I just posted up thread about heat problems with my 3600. It hovers around 45 now that I reset the cooler and messed with the fan setting in bios. I feel the stock cooler isn't enough if your really stressing it though. I think they just run hot and they have tons of guides out there changing voltages and stuff but I haven't messed with any of that.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Kullik posted:

Hey not sure if anyone remembers me but i was the guy a while ago with the ryzen 3700x that was idling kinda hot for no particular reason.

I found out why.

It was Corsair ICUE i think.

Basically it seems to run constant hardware monitoring that causes the CPU to think its under a lot of load and needs a lot of power according to what i could find, and corsair dont look like they want to add an option to disable that feature.
I imagine that really sucks if you have like a corsair cooler and not just a mouse and keyboard like i do, so i was able to disable icue and now i idle around 35 degrees with fans at their lowest speed, which feels a lot more acceptable.

You sir are a hero. I had posted a couple pages before that about the same issue with a 3600. I remounted my cpu cooler and was still idling about 45 to 50.

Now I idle 35-40. Crazy! Corsair really should fix that.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Smythe posted:

is there a decent placeholder for like $400? i have gtx 970 in my rig and i cannot play games with my bros anymore. my computer is too slow to game. gently caress

Same boat. Still running my 970 and was waiting to upgrade. I waited to long... Best I can tell is to sign up for some discords and mailing services through retailers and watch them like a hawk.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Twobirds posted:

I did this a year ago and told myself the same thing lol

Yep I upgraded last year around may. Would a 1660 really be worth spending the money or just holding out for another year? My 970 hasn't given me any issues and I really just want to play cyberpunk. If it would make a big difference in that I might consider it. Still running 1080p.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Some Goon posted:

What price are you seeing the 1660 for is the operative question? Looks like a 1660S will do 1080p60 medium for Cyberpunk, with a regular 1660 a few fps shy.

Msrp is 250 but finding one is another issue... Even if it was less than 300 I still feel like that doesn't justify the upgrade considering I might be able to snag a 3xxx before the years over.

There's always GeForce now I suppose lol.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

sean10mm posted:

How the gently caress are video cards STILL 100% out of stock? And all marked up $100-200 on top of that?

:wtc:

Try about 3k markup... Newegg had 3080s for 3700$ this morning. I had a stock alert just now, was gone in less than a minute. Good luck.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

It's actually really hard to just camp anywhere and actually get a card. I've been trying to get a 3070 at <$700 (so already insane scalper prices) for over a month and not having any luck, even with physically showing up at stores right after trucks arrive.

Not saying you shouldn't try, but don't expect to have awesome luck.

Been at it over a month with no luck. You need a lot of time to sit around waiting for drops. Not like I can troll best buy on my phone at work.

Funny enough managed to snag a ps5 for a friend though. So atleast there's a bit of hope.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Putting games on an SSD is a nice QOL improvement, to the point I'd advise getting a single SSD at whatever price you were planning to spend on the SSD/HDD combo and deleting games you're not actively playing, but having your OS on an SSD is a necessity anymore.

I already have my windows install and games on a 1tb ssd.
Would it benefit me to buy an nvme ssd just for a boot drive?

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Yall I found a prebuilt hp omen with a 2060 in it for 1050. Would it be worth buying it, putting in my 970 and flipping it? I'm so conflicted and it will probably be gone by tomorrow I'm sure.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

We’d need all the spec details to know if that’s reasonable or not.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...p?skuId=6402514

I think this is it. It's open box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

spunkshui posted:

You end up with a tiny 2060

Idk if people who are willing to game on a 970 are also willing to buy an entire PC.

That's what held me back the most. It's so small. I'm just going to pass for now and keep trying to hit stock drops. Thanks.