Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I last built a PC in 2011. Going to do it again soon I think.

Is there any reason not to just pick a build someone else made that is popular on PC Parts Picker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sean10mm posted:

PC Part Picker builds vary wildlly in quality.

Give us your budget and any specific needs/wants/etc. and we can suggest better.

Oh, cool. I didn't want to come into this thread and just be demanding.

I already have all the peripherals, though my monitor is very budget.

I just want something that is going to look about as good as a PS5, but I'll probably mostly use it to play games that only come out on PC like Crusader Kings 3 and indie stuff on Steam, aside from stuff like RPGs that you can mod a lot. I'll still be a primarily PS4/PS5 gamer. Wi-Fi compatible is important. I doubt I will do something like overclocking since back in 2011 when I made my last computer it sounded complicated and somewhat dangerous if you do it wrong. Not sure if that is still (or ever was) true. Favorite games are RPGs, story-driven single player stuff, strategy games.

Budget is up to $1000, but I don't want to spend $1k just for the sake of it. If I can play my games and have them look great at $700 then I'm a happy man. I am fascinated by VR stuff and it would be cool to have a computer that could run it, but not if I have to spend several hundred additional dollars just to get that working (in addition to the cost of VR equipment).

Not sure if 4K technology is at the point in gaming where I should get a system that can run in 4K and a 4K monitor. Probably not while staying in my budget, I'd guess?

edit:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $1000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?: 60HZ, 1920x1080. Is that ok?
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?: Pretty good but I don't need the best possible poo poo

edit2: Oh and I saved my HDD and SSD from my last PC so I'm good there! My SSD is sadly only 250GB but they both still work. Both almost 10 years old though

blue squares fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 1, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also, things in general are very interchangeable, yes? So when I am going to buy, if the motherboard I wanted is out of stock, I can simply pick a similar one that is in stock and I am good? Or would I need to verify that nothing becomes incompatible?

I ask since I don’t know if COVID has disrupted supply of parts

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sean10mm posted:

OK, so here's a baseline:

drat this is so cool of you to do. Thank you!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Klyith posted:

Honestly you can ask ITT on the day you're ready to order if you're having any trouble and someone will be around who can look at stock and give you a suggestion.

Thanks.

I'm about to buy everything that sean suggested. I added a 1TB internal SSD (which I checked for compatibility using PC Parts Picker) and a copy of windows 10, so I hit my $1000 budget.

I can look into a new monitor at some point. I really like mine, but I don't know if there is a really noticeable difference when improving from a 1080p 60Hz monitor to something better.

I don't love the case, but its going to be sitting on my floor and not being lugged to LAN parties or something like that, especially with the pandemic, so I guess I shouldn't give a poo poo.

edit: actually looks like everything could arrive Friday except for the case. Good excuse to change it out for something that will arrive this week and let me use the weekend for setup and gaming!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Klyith posted:

Oh, don't buy a boxed windows 10. You can use a windows 7 key from an old computer if you've got one around. Or there are 2 goons in SAmart that resell bulk keys, get a Pro key from them for like $20. The keys are legit (reselling them may or may not be but that's their problem).

Also which SSD did you pick if you don't mind? PCpartspicker either goes for the cheapest stuff, some of which are not great choices, or sorts by popularity and puts samsung at the top. (Samsung are good but overpriced.)

Thanks for the tip on Windows 10. I don't have an old key but I will use the goons.

I found this SSD using Newegg rather than partspicker. I just used PPP to verify it was compatible. https://www.newegg.com/intel-665p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167469?Item=N82E16820167469.

I'm shopping for cases right now and then will pull the trigger. Feel free to link any suggestions! I just need something where everything will fit and where there are at least a couple of top front USB ports for convenience.

Picking a case feels really hard, but I know it should be simple. It should be one of those things you can't really gently caress up as long as your stuff fits.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 1, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Klyith posted:

That is a QLC drive. QLC is fine, but they get slower as the drive fills up and IMO are less suited as a main system drive. My suggestion would be the WD SN550, which is IMO the best price/performance drive for a gaming desktop.

The Phanteks that sean10mm picked is a good case for the money. Your mobo is a MATX one, so if you'd like something smaller you could get the thermaltake versa H18. Add a 140mm fan as well since that case only comes with 1 120mm fan (which means it'll come to the same price as the phanteks, but smaller).

edit: or since you have budget left, you could go for a more expensive case. A case can be a good investment, they last through multiple upgrades. Mine's over 10 years old and still fine. But I'd need to know what type of thing you like for that.

Excellent, thank you! I switched out the SSD. I also stuck with the case. A second recommendation is good enough for me, and I looked at more photos to see that it does have USB ports on the top. Those weren't shown in the first few photos and I missed them.

Order placed!! I paid slightly extra to get everything here at the same time because I am a big impatient baby

I have been thinking about doing this for so long. I am really excited to get back into PC gaming. I'm going to get some frowns from my girlfriend for spending this money but it's mine and I can afford it so it's all good. Thank you for your help Klyith and Sean!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 1, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snagged this monitor on my brothers recommendation to go with my new build since he flinched when I said I was going to game on a 60Hz monitor.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Been following the thread so I can learn more.

My question is about the new RTX 3070 card. I have no interest in buying one now, as I just bought all my stuff, but a couple years down the line maybe. From what I have read ITT and online, I would be able to put an RTX 3070 into this PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (has 1 PCI 4.0)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: you will not be CPU constrained on any current game, blue squares, by your Ryzen 5 3600 / B550 combo unless you are trying to push low res max frames in certain games for some reason

So I could play something like Cyberpunk 2077 on high settings doing that? Or maybe Horizon Zero Dawn is a better example since it as actually out. And low res max frames is probably not what I'd ever aim for since I don't do competitive gaming, mostly single player/co-op stuff, so I like it to look pretty as a priority.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit if you want stuff to look pretty you should buy a higher res monitor than the 1080p 27" that you posted

Yeah that's the one my brother told me to get. I later reconsidered and thought about getting something better, but the monitor I picked from newegg can't be returned for a refund. I tried to cancel my order shortly after placing it, but it was too late already. That's what I get for being hasty!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

KoB posted:

Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth adapter? Ideally just usb or something but if those arent great lmk

I'm wondering the same thing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is the picture on Newegg of my new case:

So, silly of me to assume it came with three case fans instead of just the one in the back. Should I go ahead and get two more to put in the front panel or just keep an eye on temps and get them if I need them?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

uXs posted:

Not an expert, but yes.

Sorry, yes to which

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Goddamn PC building is stressful when you haven’t done it i a long time. It’s take hours to troubleshoot all the weird issues and get windows installed. But I’m excited!

Thanks again, thread

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok, so I’m online and downloading games

However the M2 SSD I got that was recommended by this thread is not showing up at all, so I couldn’t install windows to it or use it for storage. I’ve been doing a lot of googling and I am still puzzled.

When I first installed it, I screwed it into the motherboard using the standoff screw that was already there rather than screwing on top of that standoff screw with a second screw. This resulted in the SSD being at an angle. Maybe I broke it?

western digital blue sn550
MSI b550 pro vdh WiFi

Any ideas? My next step is to go buy another one and see if that works, and if it does, return the bad one

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

^^^ exactly! That video is why I did it that way. But the SSD came with screws that go on top of the standoff and keep the drive level

Doing more research, mine is a PCIE M2 and I need to make sure it is in that slot, not a SATA. I only saw one M2 slot but I will look again in the morning

blue squares fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vir posted:

Helpful advice

I moved the M2 SSD up to the other slot that was covered by the heatsink (hence why I didn't see it at first). I got it formatted and now it is working.

Everything is working!

My final thanks to Sean, Klyith, Vir, and anyone else who helped me. I hope you get some satisfaction from all the time you spend providing advice, much of likely having to be repeated every time someone new wanders in. I really am grateful for you taking the time to help me out. As an added bonus, you'll finally get a reprieve from all of my posts ITT!