Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess every mandalorian freezes their targets because it happened once in the movies.

Empire establishes that carbon freezing people is, if not common not completely unheard of. Lando's objections are based around cloud city's facility being crude and used for industrial freezing, not designed for life forms.

Thom12255 posted:

Looks like Episode 9 is gonna retcon this to show Luke did train her for a bit.

Revealing something that happened off screen during a 30 year time gap isn't a "retcon".

jivjov fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rocksicles posted:

That was loving sick, from start to finish. Even the credits artwork is dope.

Really hope it's new pieces for every episode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Unless otherwise stated, I think the rule is "once it's aired, it's fair game"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gay Horney posted:

the trailer where they showed someone going YOU SPILLED MY DRINK and then the tough good guy beats up some bad guys and his friends using age old Jason Statham moves really really killed this for me fast. those sixty seconds confirmed this show is going to be unwatchable. without even seeing the rest you can immediately confirm he'll get a wacky sidekick and a moment of characterization at some point where he's asked to do something distasteful by a mysterious client. plots from the 1960s in rubber suits.

Source your quotes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm interested in that Doctor that wanted the mark taken alive

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Martytoof posted:

What’s the release schedule like for this?

Every Friday (including 3 days from now) except for the week TRoS comes out. That week gets a Wednesday release

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

marxismftw posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks the writing is extremely bad, the tone is all over the place, and pedro pascal is the wrong voice for a strong, silent type character?

I mean, I want to like it, but the first ep seemed like it was trying really hard to be completely uninteresting.

I'm sure you're not the only one, but you're definitely in the minority.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Nick Nolte's species was one of those guys that played keepaway with C3PO's head in Empire, right?

Yep, Kuiil is an Ugnaught

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Pedro Pascal just dropped the actual given name of The Mandalorian. Spelling is unknown, but it's Dyn Jarren

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rewatched episode 1...was gonna go to a theatrical screening but my wife had to cancel.

Anyway, I seriously can't wait to see more of this show. While I'm glad it wasn't an entire season drop at once, I absolutely would have binged it if that was the case. I totally get the complaints of a bit of a slow start...but giving us a "normal" bounty run and some Clan stuff before launching into what is sure to be the Season Arc really helps flesh out the character and the world. Greef's line about there being plenty of jobs, but people not wanting to pay guild rates and being okay with "sloppy" bounties says so much about the state of the galaxy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vitamin P posted:

Pascal stopped being boring silent badass

I was really worried that they were gonna have him be close-to-silent for most of the series, and I'm glad that while he doesn't say much, hes not a JRPG protagonist

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ufarn posted:

The thing that wasn't great about it was that you could cut it all out without really missing out on anything crucial, and with a TV episode duration, it's a lot of time to spend on something that only serves to bring us from point A to B.

Because we never know what to make of the blue guy - is the bounty deserved or unfair? - we can't use his capture as any verdict of the Mandalorian's character. If they had made him a likeable character who was just wanted because he pissed off some evil people by doing something good, it would have worked better as a narrative device. Instead, he's just this hopeless MacGuffin.

If you take the other bounty pucks offered by Greef as a representative sample, it looks like the majority of the available jobs are bail jumpers, with the occasional wanted smuggler. The Guild is presented, at least in the first episode, as being on the fringes of the underworld but still mostly legitimate. They have rules and a charter and formal procedures.

The sequence itself is to show "a day in the life" for The Mando, it's basically the same thing we got from Rey in The Force Awakens--a routine average day before the Call To Adventure kicks in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's also worth nothing that we're told there are plenty of other jobs out there, just not officially guild sanctioned ones. If "make as much money as possible" was the sole goal, he could always go freelance

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ufarn posted:

Hopefully the weekly release schedule means they won't have the god-awful Netflix pacing where showrunners seem to just write for their entire season to be binged in one or two days.

It just blows my mind that there are people out there who hate the episodic release method. An entire season drop removes so much of the pacing, the tension, the discussion and speculation that you can get out of weekly releases.

Speaking of, do we know what time episode 2 hits tomorrow? Trying to plan out when to watch that versus when to play Jedi Fallen Order

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

True, but I'm 99% sure this is literally an adaptation of the story of a canceled video game. Kennedy actually said "we want to reuse stuff from that game for a TV show" after Disney bought Lucasfilm. I just didn't expect them to make it feel exactly like watching a Twitch stream.

I don't think a story set on one level of a giant city planet is the one they're using for their planet-hopping western....

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

It's the least embarrassing explanation for how bad this episode's plot was.

'Cept the plot wasn't bad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

Compared to the Holiday Special I guess it was okay. Favreau absolutely wrote that script on his phone while taking a dump, though.

He probably used either a computer or a typewriter/word processor depending on how analog his process is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

Prediction: this show's only notable female character will be a hot lady bounty hunter leading a gang of multi-ethnic (but all pretty light-skinned) lady bounty hunters. It won't be immediately obvious that she's a woman, though, because she'll be fighting while wearing a helmet that disguises her voice. Then after the fight someone will say "That guy's crazy!!" or something, and then she'll be like "That... GUY???" and take off her helmet so her long hair cascades down her back. Her henchwomen will have minimal to no dialogue.

Given that we literally know casting information of two different women who will be appearing in the show.....

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

I actually forgot that that happened in Solo. it's just a tremendously common cliche that would fit perfectly with the caliber of storytelling at which this show is operating right now.

Star Wars? Use common tropes? Lemme clutch at some pearls real quick

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am convinced that someone on the crew of this show played Super Star Wars a bunch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I remember something about Mandos using Vibro-blades that cause enormous amounts of damage so I'm assuming it's one of those, or maybe it has a fast-acting neurotoxin or something on it?

Vibro weapons have been Star Wars lore for decades; so cool to finally see one on screen. (The trandoshans had them too)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

I just think they should aim a little higher than the narrative pattern of “MMO quest line” or “2500-year-old myth.” Nothing wrong with ancient myths, but storytelling has evolved a lot since then.

....have you, uh, ever seen a Star Wars before?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Philthy posted:

Holy jesus, episodes are 20 minutes long and only 8 of them? Get hosed.

They need to make 12-16 episode seasons all 1 hour long. There is no way I'm keeping subbed for 20 minute bites. It's good, but not that good.

Nice entitlement complex

EDIT: also, nice job being literally factually wrong about episode runtimes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Space Panda posted:

He makes a good point. Might be better to wait and just binge all the episodes of you are on the fence with Disney +.

I’m enjoying watching mars needs moms I’m the meantime

Sure, wait and binge if Mando is literally the only thing on the service you care about; but to sit there and demand specific run-times and episode counts is peak entitlement culture.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I lol'd

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

gently caress I want some loving eggs now.

EGG EGG EGG EGG EGG

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gohmak posted:

If Disney has people capable of making such excellent Star Wars how the gently caress did the screw up with the movies?

They...didn't? The movies have been, at worst, pretty good.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Last Jedi dared to have a message about leaving all that behind and people went loving apoplectic because every man in the movie gets dunked on by a woman.

"Let the past die" was not the thesis of the film. It's made explicitly clear that trying to ignore the past is a lovely idea.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mandrel posted:

here theyve put good people in charge who love star wars and clearly have a plan and coherent competent vision and behold: good Star Wars

Oh hey, just like the films!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Are you loving kidding me? "Little white cuck ball" ringing a bell? Do you remember how loving furious all the chuds were about how a woman and a black guy were our new protagonists?

Or how Holdo is apparently the worst military leader put to film because of her hair and dress. Or how luke living off the land and wildlife was emasculating. Or how Rose was a bad character for being greater than a size 0. There was a LOT of toxic dudebro rage out there becuase some people are just irredeemable pissbabies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

This is the one thing throwing me for a loop. I am generally a prequel/EU hater so my memory of it isn't perfect, but weren't the Mandalorians supposed to be an extinct warrior race as opposed to just a bunch of Boba Fetts who are still around, post ROTJ? I don't really care cause this is cooler, but doesn't this clash with the prequels? Full disclosure I haven't seen them since they were in theaters.

Mandalorians are a culture, not a species. There are some clans/families that have been part of that culture for generations, there's a whole planet of Mandalorian Humans, but (as we've seen from the snippets of The Mandalorian's backstory), you can be adopted in or join up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

Lmao, of course Disney would charge $8 a track. I love the score, but yeah, not dropping that kinda cash for it.

It's not $8 a track.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't know George Lucas was involved with it. What is his role? is he just consulting or something? That was actually pretty neat to see.

I think they just invited him around to check out the filming

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Donovan Trip posted:

there's a rumor he's been brought in to re edit the new Star Wars movie.

This is pure clickbait horseshit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NienNunb posted:

The thing is, the scene in TLJ with Luke and Kylo is a top 3 Star Wars scene. I'm sure that's a nuclear take, but I'm right and smart.

Absolutely. There's a reason that movie is one of, if not the, best Star Wars films ever made.

But to touch on that big ol effort post slightly above, the coolest thing about the star wars universe is that it does actually feel like a full universe. There's the Skywalker Saga, the generational tale of a dysfunctional family, and then there's all this other stuff that fits into so many different genres.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Where the hell is all this extra information about armor and planets coming from? The animated TV shows or something?

The databank on the Star Wars website has identified all the planets from Mandalorian so far

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

What if they kill off baby Yoda this week? Weren’t the game of thrones people involved with Star Wars at some point?
:ohdear:

They stepped down from their Star Wars project to instead pursue the $10 million offer netflix gave them. Lots of rumors that they were forced out after how hard season 8 of GoT failed, or after that disastrous convention Q&A where they presented "we have no idea what we're doing and that's totally a good thing" without any shame whatsoever--but the official reason is they didn't want to split their attention between Netflix and Star Wars

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 20, 2019

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AFewBricksShy posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but is there any high res links of the ending paintings? I'd like to use them for the background on my computer.

https://twitter.com/philszostak/status/1196963943387762688?s=21

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

extremely online posted:

"Yaled," Harvard slang for sucked.

Probably autocorrect weirdness for "failed" or something

The very same. I phone post a LOT.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Funso Banjo posted:

When is this set? a year or two after episode 6?

5 years post RotJ

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Owlbear Camus posted:

It must be set some 750 years ago, going by the baby yoda.

It's not baby Yoda, just another member of the same species

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1197598249617510400?s=21