Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
but i just want to say this thread is good stuff and it's not something you're going to find, uhh... anywhere (in english)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

this thread is cool and good, really interesting

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Amana name lives on in air conditioners and appliances though the actual Amana Society sold off the refrigeration division fifty years ago.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Kangxi posted:

So who is this Wang Huning guy?

Thank you so much for doing this– excellent work! imo Wang Huning is the most fascinating figure in Chinese politics today. I spend a fair amount of time scrounging for info on current Politburo members so this is a wonderful resource.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

GoluboiOgon posted:

It seems really odd to me that he thinks of the amish as ethnic minorities. they certainly don't think of themselves as non-white. they may seem technologically backwards now, but even in the 1930s the average us farmer still used horses for farming instead of tractors; when the amish settled in iowa they wouldn't have been seen as inferior technologically. the only time the amish were ever discriminated against was for speaking german during wwi.

they are allowed to reject modernity now because they participated in settling 'empty' lands from which the indians had been removed, and because they are actively participating in capitalism. they may still use horse-drawn carriages, but they put the proceeds from their organic produce and hand-made furniture into modern banks. they aren't really separately managed economically, they still take out loans from banks like the rest of farmers in the us. they may not use atms, but local banks have teller windows that can fit horse-drawn carriages.

I think the bolded sentence here is key. In North America we automatically equate ethnicity with race but in other parts of the world the major divides don't necessarily map out in the same way. In other parts of the world language or religion can play the role that race tends to play in North American settler societies. So while we might be inclined to look at the Amish and say "of course they're not a distinct ethnicity, they're white!" that is probably less meaningful to someone from a part of the world where factors other than biological race play a much larger role in shaping social conflicts.

I also think that we should probably read his comments as being at least in part a reflection of where the Chinese state was at the time he wrote the book. I get the impression he's doing something that authors have done throughout the ages - describing a foreign society as a covert way of safely critiquing your own country. Instead of describing the failures and successes of Chinese governance - a potentially dangerous activity - perhaps Wang uses his discussion of the successes of the United States to subtly make the case for or against reforms within China. It sort of seems like the book is less interested in getting the exact details of the Amish example correct and more focused on using them as a prop in an argument that the author is making about how sometimes the government trying to control every aspect of a situation makes the government itself more vulnerable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I would kill to have an actual English copy of this for my bookshelf, though. It's illuminating and I'm glad Kangxi is putting in the effort to do it for us.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Helsing posted:

I also think that we should probably read his comments as being at least in part a reflection of where the Chinese state was at the time he wrote the book. I get the impression he's doing something that authors have done throughout the ages - describing a foreign society as a covert way of safely critiquing your own country. Instead of describing the failures and successes of Chinese governance - a potentially dangerous activity - perhaps Wang uses his discussion of the successes of the United States to subtly make the case for or against reforms within China. It sort of seems like the book is less interested in getting the exact details of the Amish example correct and more focused on using them as a prop in an argument that the author is making about how sometimes the government trying to control every aspect of a situation makes the government itself more vulnerable.

That ties into a point I was going to make about the Amana Colonies.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, the party faced 'three belief crises' 三信危机, as a writer put it and I can't remember off hand who it was. That meant a crisis of faith in Marxism-Leninism, a loss of confidence in Marxism and modernization, and a loss of trust in the Chinese Communist Party. All this came about after the violence and turmoil of the Cultural Revolution. After all that, which left the country divided, with weak institutions and a loss of party authority, massive physical destruction, and little else to show for it, there was a feeling of doubt about how the CCP was going to survive, much less come up with a version of the future that would motivate people like it had before.

This is probably why he's visiting Amana - this experiment collapsed completely. What lesson did he draw from it? He says it's a loss of faith and an inability to provide.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 3, 2019

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Helsing posted:

This is a fascinating criticism of China but is it an accurate read on the Amish? I think Wang overstates the case. The Amish might not drive cars but plenty of them use modern tractors. I think there are also more institutionalized vectors for engagement with the outside world than this author admits - the Amish are a lot more influenced by and integrated into modern society than they might seem to be at first blush. That having been said, I don't think any of this undermines his overall point about hands-off management of different social groups being a potentially more effective way of buying social peace.

Well and there are whole systems the pop up around doing things for the Amish, that the Amish won't do. An example is "haulin Amish" they don't drive, but they will ride. Some of them work in factories and have off farm jobs. My grandfather earned a living driving the Amish around in rural Ohio. Think like a combination of a carpool / taxi. Also your point about Rumspringa is a good one, but what most people don't realize is that it also produces a certain amount of tension with the exterior community.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Chapter 1: An Imbalanced Land

Part 7: Native Landscapes

quote:

In an average person's whirlwind tour, they get the impression of flourishing big cities, row upon row of skyscrapers, lightning-fast cars, glitzy shopping centers, and diverse crowds. America's prosperity is mainly embodied in its cities and great cities, and it would be easy to equate these impressions with all of America. In fact, America is not just its cities. They play an influential role, but they are not equal to the entire country.

Some context:

According to the US Census, about 79% of the population of the United States, or about 197.5 million out of 250.1 million people, lived in urban areas in 1990.

The rapid urbanization of China has been a major component of its economic transformation, but it still had a long way to go by 1990. According to their National Bureau of Statistics, only some 26.4% of the population lived in cities by 1990. This meant that out of a population of 1.135 billion, some 295 million lived in cities, while almost 840 million lived in rural areas.

The urban-rural difference in China was vast by the end of the 1970s; while there was little economic inequality between urban residents and between rural residents, the gap between urban and rural residents was so vast that some researchers have estimated that the country was more unequal than any of the countries in the Warsaw Pact and almost as unequal as the United Kingdom.

Wang takes note of the differences in quality of life between urban and rural areas, noting this may have driven rural residents to the cities. This could potentially be explained by the modernization of agriculture, which does not require as many laborers to produce the same or greater output than before. In fact, he claims, the US is the world's largest food importer. He notes that in some states you could take long train rides and never see a farm, whereas driving in farm states means you can travel for hours and see almost continuous farms.

Food production and food security are still issues, given China's enormous population, and less arable land than the United States. This link from the China Power Project, a part of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, presents some of the more salient statistics and has a useful reading list. As for food imports, China is now the world's largest importer of vegetables, although I would need to find more specific data on food products and other agricultural commodities.

In more current news, there's been a rather nasty outbreak of swine flu in China recently that has dramatically reduced the pig population and driven up prices of pork. According to the World organization of Animal Health, nearly half of the country's pig population has died of the disease or has been slaughtered by farmers - approximately 300,000,000 pigs.

After this, he lists some impressions of American farmland:
-The United States has a large area that is uniquely suited to farming, with flat areas and dark fertile soil, which has not been exhausted of nutrients or eroded.
-Rural areas are sparsely populated by his standards. Houses are sparse and far apart, and wild animals like deer roam free.
-Towns and villages in rural areas, while more conservative culturally and psychologically, still have a wide degree of goods available. Many roads are set in straight lines, but not all roads are paved.
-Some rural houses are in bad condition and have been abandoned. Some small towns have been abandoned completely, for unclear reasons.
-There are herds of wild animals, but Wang insists he's seen bigger herds in Inner Mongolia. He compares two methods of animal breeding.

quote:

The situation in rural areas is the counterpart to large and prosperous cities. Compared with some developing and underdeveloped countries, the American countryside is among the most developed. This comparison tells people, in actuality, urban-rural differences inevitably exist in any society, but this difference has different meanings for different societies. For American society, more than 90% of the population lives in cities, and it is difficult for rural areas to pose tensions. Although no good solution has been found to solve this problem, this problem will persist for a long time and will tend to worsen. However, the rural issue can't set off big waves temporarily or under certain conditions. But for Chinese society, more than 80% of the population is in rural areas, and its political and social significance is very different.

The actual process in the United States is to draw people out of relatively backward areas and bring them into cities. This process is integrated with the development process of productive forces, so as to relieve the tension in rural areas. Really, the problems existing in the countryside have not been resolved. Where is the limit of this process? Obviously there are limits. If agricultural production is seriously threatened, then it will become a serious problem. Under the current system, it is difficult to imagine any force or strategy to reverse the actual flow of the population.

The existence of urban-rural differences is inevitable and must be taken care of by any society. Differences in living standards are bound to create tensions between different populations. The timing of this tension has come at some time, but in the process of modernization, this challenge is always encountered. The question is not how much rural areas have developed, but how much the contradiction has been resolved, and whether the method of resolving the contradiction has produced new contradictions.

Excuse my lack of informed commentary. Rural areas are not my specialty, but a lot of people have made their careers studying Chinese agriculture and rural areas, and I could point you to them, in Chinese or English...

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 5, 2019

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Is it uncommon to see wildlife in rural China? I could understand, if so, but the idea seems strange to me.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
I mean, Wang is from Shanghai, so it's possible he doesn't spend as much time in the countryside at all. I know there are many deer species on the mainland as well as Taiwan, but I had the impression many would live in Inner Mongolia or more sparsely populated regions.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My guess is that the American rural population is spread out more, so an individual homeowner has more land and more space, and wildlife such as deer travels through that in a mix. People often have deer feeders in their yards and so forth. Whereas rural China (note I know squat about rural China) has denser villages surrounded by nothingness.

A friend in China was telling me about how his grandfather (I think) grew up in what was basically a remote village in the mountains and hunted. Don't remember all the details, but he served in the army in the early stages of the Tibet invasion and occupation back in the 1950s or 1960s. The army let him keep his rifle and ammo after his military service was completed, for hunting purposes, with the idea that he'd hand the rifle back when he was done shooting off all the ammo.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There are still rural populations that hunt with firearms. There are even places that aren't connected to the rest of the country by roads, power lines, water, etc. that still dress in Qing era Hanfu, at least according to my family.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Please excuse the delay; I've had a lot on my plate recently.

Chapter 1: An Imbalanced Land

Part 8: The Decline of the Farm

quote:

Farms have always interested me. The simplest reason is that the United States has only about three or four percent of the agricultural population, but in addition to ensuring the consumption of 200 million people, there is still a large quantity of exports. I remember the Soviet Union imported a large amount of American food. In many countries, the urban and rural population is smaller than the former, but they are incapable of self-sufficiency. Solving this problem is the key to a country's modernization. China has a population of almost 1.1 billion and more than 80% are in rural areas, but the supply of grain and various non-staple foods is not so generous.

By the late 1970s and 1980s, the United States was a substantial supplier of grain to the Soviet Union owing to the latter's shortfalls in production; there was a scandal in the Nixon administration where the Soviets had purchased so much grain at subsidized prices and spent all of their available credit on purchases that the United States soon experienced a spike in prices; this was known as the Great grain robbery. In the late 1970s, the Carter administration had announced an embargo on Soviet purchases of wheat after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. In response, the Soviets were forced to purchase their grain from other sources such as Argentina.

quote:

The problem of food has plagued humanity for countless years, and it has been around since the beginning of humanity. So far humans have not solved this problem. The food shortage in Africa has reached alarming levels, and how many people are menaced with death from starvation.

In the 1980s, there were famine conditions in Uganda, Mozambique, Ethiopia, and Sudan. In the late 1970s, closer to China, Bangladesh and Cambodia also experienced famine. Some of these famines were exacerbated by ongoing civil war, as is the case in Yemen.

quote:

I remember "The Winds of War" once recalled that in Berlin just after the end of the Second World War, because there was no food, young girls had to use their bodies to get food. The persistence of human life is a basic human need. When this problem is so difficult, it is difficult to talk about dignity and authority.

Wang is probably referring to Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War", a best-selling novel of the period. A TV adaptation was produced in the late 1980s; both were translated into Chinese.

quote:

The farm I visited is one of many farms and it is a model farm. The farm owner's family has only two people, himself and his wife. After his son went away to college, he worked in another state. In a large expanse of wilderness, they have a very beautiful house, which is almost the same as the house seen in the city. There are all kinds of modern equipment in the city, such as telephone, electricity, running water, etc.

This is a phenomenon worth discussing. Generally speaking, no matter where you go, these basic tools are always available. Sometimes I walked a long way to meet a family. This family will want for nothing. Companies are also willing to provide services to the family, which is actually a little bit worthwhile. In terms of living conditions, farmers are not inferior to others. A "farmer" is actually a farmer. The farm is private and the assistant workers is private. When it comes to farms, there is absolutely no need to understand Chinese concepts. We may have thousands of people on a farm, and the United States generally has only two or three people.

Extremely large family-owned farms still contribute a share of US agriculture output; the USDA reports that some 90% of all US farms were 'small family operations', with <$350,000 in annual gross cash farm income (GCFI); but they only accounted for 24% of the value of production. Large-scale family farms with $1 million+ in GCFI contributed to 42% of total farm production.

quote:

Let's look at some specific information to understand the differences between American agriculture. This farmer is called Oberman. He introduced to me that he has a total of 800 acres of land, which is equivalent to 4,857 mu. He was responsible for the cultivation himself, and he hired a long-time worker, plus his elderly father sometimes helped. Labor productivity is high. In addition to cultivating his 800 acres of land, he also raises pigs, and the numbers given are frightening: he raises 1,200 pigs by himself. This is the number in pens plus a yield of 2,400 pigs each year. In addition to these, he is also a director of an agricultural bank, and he also manages bank affairs during the off-season. In addition, we must deal with social activities and develop plans to promote social development. It is very obvious how much energy he exerts.

The question is, how can a farmer have such energy?

To increase perceptual awareness, we suggested visiting his pig farm and cultivated land. He first used a car to take us around his 800 acres of farmland, and we had a rough idea. Then, he took us to visit his agricultural machinery. He has three tractors, two are very large, and one combine, as big as the Heilongjiang farm. There are also various types of agricultural machinery, so his farming is all mechanized.

Heilongjiang province is known as one of the 'grain baskets' of modern China today, with a large output though hindered by a largely subarctic climate.

quote:

A mechanical harvester can cultivate 80 acres a day, so 800 acres is not difficult for him. He mainly grows corn and soybeans. After harvesting, there is artificial air-drying equipment with a high degree of automation. In addition, the American farm is a large plain, which is unique to the United States' geography. Large machinery opens without barriers. With these conditions, mechanization is easy to implement. In the rural areas of Zhejiang, China, there are too many ditches, rivers, and hills, and large machinery is difficult to use.

His pig farm is also highly automated, with modern ingredients, four pig pens altogether, and a high number of stocks. The food formula has a fixed ratio to promote the rapid growth of pigs. After six months of raising, it can be marketed. The pork he provided alone could be consumed by hundreds of people.

Zhejiang province, just south of Shanghai, is one of the wealthiest in China today; it exports textiles, chemicals, and is a major electronics manufacturer. Alibaba is headquartered in the provincial capital of Hangzhou.

quote:

Of course, farmers also have various difficulties, which is a challenge for agriculture. One is the economic problem. The economic income of the farmer is not high, and there is a lot of labor. The farm earns between $20,000 and $30,000 a year, but a combine bought on loan is worth $120,000, regardless of other equipment. Of course, some farms are larger, better, and have a considerable income. This year, the United States is generally dry, and farmers' incomes have dropped. With only about half of their usual income, the economic situation is very bad. We see in farmland that corn grows only half the height as usual, and the fruit is small.

Using an inflation calculator, this converts to about $43,000-$65,000, with the combine costing about $260,000.

quote:

The second is high labor intensity. The labor intensity of the farmer is very high, which is incomparable to a city office or air-conditioned factory. Farmland is mainly field operations. In any case, the changes in nature cannot be avoided. Pig farming can be said to be dirty and smelly. Although this farm has a high degree of automation, it is grungy and cannot be ruled out. Pigs don't know how to clean, there is no way. We went to visit the pigpen, which was foul and makes one want to leave. But the farmer must do the work. He said that after working every day, he had to take several baths to wash off the smell. In the United States, I am afraid that few people can accept it.

The third is the boredom of the younger generation. Due to the above problems and the attraction of big cities, the younger generation yearns for urban life. There are cultural and entertainment facilities in urban life, but not in rural areas. The farmer told me that after his son graduated from college, he told him that he didn't want to return for the time being, and he felt it was a big blow. But he believes he will eventually return. If he doesn't come back, the farm will be a problem because he has only one son and no one will succeed him.

Despite various problems, many people have been squeezed into the field of agricultural production due to the role of market mechanisms. The important problem is that the high output of agricultural production guarantees the stability of political and social life. Imagine what would happen to Americans if they did not have enough food one day? In most developed countries, the common phenomenon is to solve the basic daily necessities, so that these products fully flow. And most of the less developed countries cannot solve this problem well. Agricultural development is the stabilizer of society and the enabler of the economy. The Soviet Union has long been confounded by agricultural issues: economic and political stagnation. The situation in other societies is also similar.

In a world with a rapidly increasing population, agriculture is a lifeline.

That's Chapter 1.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is a fascinating read!

"The changes in nature cannot be avoided" is a pretty good turn of phrase for the things a farmer has to take care of without machines.

Was migrant work a huge factor in American farming at the time? Is that going to be brought up in a later chapter?

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glazius posted:

This is a fascinating read!

"The changes in nature cannot be avoided" is a pretty good turn of phrase for the things a farmer has to take care of without machines.

Was migrant work a huge factor in American farming at the time? Is that going to be brought up in a later chapter?

he mentions a 'long-time worker'. plus, he doesn't need to spend that much time farming with all the tractors, + his wife, + his father, + his kid (who definitely did pig related chores for 12+ years). as i understand it, migrant labor on farms is usually for crops that need to be picked by hand like fruits and vegetables. you don't need that much in the way of hand labor for corn and soybeans if you have modern tools, which this farmer clearly does.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

This continues to be a really interesting read, thanks again for the thread Kangxi! And no worries about delays, it happens, especially this time of year.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Thanks for all the comments!

I will have more delays again, but the least I can do is translate the Table of Contents so you all have some idea of what will happen next. Given how compacted my schedule will be over the coming months, I may just ask you all to pick which ones you'd prefer to have translated.

Chapter 1: An Unequal Land
Chapter 1, Part 1- Doubt, Made in America
Chapter 1, Part 2 - Manhattan and Chinatown
Chapter 1, Part 3 - The Four Cs
Chapter 1, Part 4 - The Heights of Commodification
Chapter 1, Part 5 - Frontiers
Chapter 1, Part 6 - The Amana Colonies
Chapter 1, Part 7 - Native Landscapes

Chapter 2: An Ancient Political Spirit
Chapter 2, Part 1 - The American Mind
Chapter 2, Part 2 - The Mayflower
Chapter 2, Part 3 - Political Creed
Chapter 2, Part 4 - Equality or Freedom?
Chapter 2, Part 5 - A Constitution of Two Centuries
Chapter 2, Part 6 - Political Genes
Chapter 2, Part 7 - Political Standards
Chapter 2, Part 8 - "The Third Republic"

Chapter 3: A Colorful National Character
Chapter 3, Part 1 - Internationals
Chapter 3, Part 2 - Unconventional Displays
Chapter 3, Part 3 - Demystification
Chapter 3, Part 4 - Sacralization
Chapter 3, Part 5 - A Misleading Space Shuttle
Chapter 3, Part 6 - The "Work Ethic"
Chapter 3, Part 7 - Sexual Liberation
Chapter 3, Part 8 - Lonely Spirits
Chapter 3, Part 9 - Future World
Chapter 3, Part 10 - People are always People

Chapter 4: Multileveled Societal Control
Chapter 4, Part 1: The Invisible Hand
Chapter 4, Part 2: Money-Managed Society
Chapter 4, Part 3: Human Standardization
Chapter 4, Part 4: Legal Culture
Chapter 4, Part 5: Taxation System
Chapter 4, Part 6: Scientific Administrators
Chapter 4, Part 7: Cats and Dogs are not Free

Chapter 5: Interwoven Political Power
Chapter 5, Part 1: Rule of Donkey and Elephant
Chapter 5, Part 2: Parties Share the Spoils
Chapter 5, Part 3: Interest Groups
Chapter 5, Part 4: Lobbyists
Chapter 5, Part 5: Radical Organizations
Chapter 5, Part 6: Pluralism or Meritocracy?
Chapter 5, Part 7: Participative Democracy

Chapter 6: Incomplete Elections
Chapter 6, Part 1: Battle for the White House
Chapter 6, Part 2: Road to the Presidency
Chapter 6, Part 3: A Tri-County Democratic Party Luncheon
Chapter 6, Part 4: TV Debate
Chapter 6, Part 5: A Representative's Dream
Chapter 6, Part 6: Election Day
Chapter 6, Part 7: Who rises and falls?

Chapter 7: Political Pyramid
Chapter 7, Part 1: Capitol Hill
Chapter 7, Part 2: Fifty States
Chapter 7, Part 3: County Politics
Chapter 7, Part 4: Politics in the Cities
Chapter 7, Part 5: Grassroots Politics
Chapter 7, Part 6: Transparency
Chapter 7, Part 7: Selection of Officials
Chapter 7, Part 8: Contacting Representatives

Chapter 8: Soft Governance
Chapter 8, Part 1: Drivers Licenses
Chapter 8, Part 2: Factory Principles
Chapter 8, Part 3: A Company is Not a Democracy
Chapter 8, Part 4: Human Services
Chapter 8, Part 5: Coca-Cola Headquarters
Chapter 8, Part 6: God on Earth

Chapter 9: Reproducing the System
Chapter 9, Part 1: The Educational System
Chapter 9, Part 2: MIT
Chapter 9, Part 3: The Kennedy School of Government
Chapter 9, Part 4: Talent Factories
Chapter 9, Part 5: The US Naval Academy
Chapter 9, Part 6: Educational Exports
Chapter 9, Part 7: A Furnace of Technology

Chapter 10: Active Intelligence
Chapter 10, Part 1: 'Knowledge Factories'
Chapter 10, Part 2: The Brookings Institute
Chapter 10, Part 3: The Carter Center
Chapter 10, Part 4: The Secretary of Defense's Talk
Chapter 10, Part 5: Regional Affairs Centers
Chapter 10, Part 6: Think Tanks
Chapter 10, Part 7: City Libraries

Chapter 11: Hidden Crises
Chapter 11, Part 1: Family Values
Chapter 11, Part 2: An Ignorant Generation?
Chapter 11, Part 3: Wandering Youths
Chapter 11, Part 4: America has its own Poisons
Chapter 11, Part 5: Criminal Underworld
Chapter 11, Part 6: A Beggar Nation
Chapter 11, Part 7: Black Crisis
Chapter 11, Part 8: The Natives' Situation
Chapter 11, Part 9: A Mental Crisis
Chapter 11, Part 10: Empire of the Sun

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How is the translating going? I will probably stop by 前流书店 when I'm in beijing to pick up some CCP classics on the way back next week.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chapter 2, Part 8 - "The Third Republic"
Chapter 5, Part 7: Participative Democracy

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm happy to just continue in order.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Elyv posted:

I'm happy to just continue in order.

This is also fine.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'd continue in order but "Active Intelligence" would be my no. 1, "Hidden Crises" as no. 2

They're also the last two chapters so we could save the best for last

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
I do apologize for the delays. I've had notes for Chapter 2 Part 1 sitting on my desktop.

I've had a lot of responsibilities pile up over the past few weeks, and I've had barely any time for anything else. I can try to start up again this month?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
NEVER MIND I HAVE A COMPLETE PART OF A CHAPTER 2 ALREADY

Chapter 2: An Ancient Political System

Part 1: The American Mind

Now we're not talking about farms anymore I can get back to more substantial commentary.

Wang is using the word 精神 in the title of this chapter, and it means a lot depending on the context. It can refer to spirits, essence, consciousness, the human mind. It's used to translate the word spirit, and it's sometimes a part of more medical terms, like 'psychiatry' 精神科 or 'schizophrenia' 精神分裂症. And before I looked up the book title Wang is referring to, I thought it would be 'the spirit of America'. I'll explain why I'm going on about all this by the end of the chapter.

quote:

H.S. Commager is an eminent historian and critic. The shelves in American university libraries have copies of his work, and he is considered a master of American studies. His book, "The Growth of the American Republic", has an important status in Chinese academic circles. "The American Mind" was published in 1950, and it was warmly received on publication. I have seen a Chinese edition translated by Nan Mu, et al. It is a long distance from the United States to Shanghai, and this book is indeed a must-have for understanding the spirit of the United States.

Henry Steele Commager (1902-1998) was indeed an eminent American historian. He taught at NYU, Columbia, and Amherst, and he wrote multiple textbooks, collections of essays, and collections of primary source documents for use in high schools and colleges. He was the Ph.D. advisor for several major historians such as Leonard Levy, who was notable for more sharper criticisms of Thomas Jefferson on freedom of speech, and William Leuchtenberg, who is a major scholar of Franklin D. Roosevelt. He was a standard-bearer for mid-century liberalism and was a prominent critic of McCarthyism, the overreach of executive power in the Johnson, Nixon, and Reagan administrations, and was an opponent of the Vietnam War and the CIA's classified budget on constitutional grounds.

His earliest books were curiously sparse on the topic of Reconstruction, and he was said to be pessimistic about civil rights advancing through the Supreme Court. However, he was said to have fought for John Hope Franklin to present papers at the American Historical Association.

quote:

Commager's writings are experienced and careful, he puts pen to paper with force, he observes problems deeply, he is adept at summing things up. Commager recounts that he is not going to write a history book, but an explanation. He struggles to discover the "American spirit", a uniquely American way of thinking, character, and behavior. He chose the period from the 1880s to the 1940s as a watershed in American history and thought. "The American Mind" is a dense book, with some 500,000 characters, and one marvels.

The American Mind was probably Commager's most famous book. The first edition was published in 1950, though it would be republished several times as late as the early 1980s. From my brief skimming, it's an exceptionally broad intellectual history of late 19th century and early 20th-century progressivism, law, political theory, literature, economics, and architecture. But underlying the whole thing is a broad sketch of 'American character', and reveals the author's convictions of American exceptionalism, and how the past can serve as an inspiration for the present -- his present, that is. Most of all, he is an exponent of the philosophical school of pragmatism.

quote:

What does Commager think comprises the "the spirit of America"? The first premise is that Americans have their own nature and their own philosophy. The American character is the product of the interaction between inheritance and the environment. The origins of American culture and institutions go back to ancient Greece, Rome, and Palestine, such as church and family systems and values. However, Commager believes that this inheritance is highly selective, shaped by environments and choices. The political system and judicial system have changed little in the past two hundred years, but social organizations have undergone dramatic changes, and psychological changes have undergone revolutionary changes. The American environment has melted down the differences between people of different kinds and cultural backgrounds who came here.

Commager said that it is not the local environment but the entire environment of the United States that determines the American character or creates American people. The whole environment refers to the vast land, that is easy to travel around, with an atmosphere of independence, and advocating the spirit of optimism and progress. In Europe, due to a long tradition of feudalism and nationalism, localism surpassed the whole; in the United States, as it matured during the industrial revolution and did not recognize strong local traditions, and so it was necessary to break this tradition, and the whole generally surpassed the local. He raised a question worth pondering: Americans are extremely complicated in ethnic descent, and the climate and soil conditions are different, but easy to form and stable national character, which not only makes it difficult for critics to predict but also the entire history and experience cannot be explained. For anyone who wants to understand the United States, first and foremost one must be prepared to think about this issue.

I'm surprised to see Wang, a Marxist political scientist, praise an American liberal historian and before I read the rest, I tried to figure out his angle here. Is it his interest in nationalism vs. localism? His broad reach in historical references and subjects covered? Commager's political activism...?

A very funny typo from the online text: 于是 (as a result; then) was replaced by 浴室 (bathroom).

quote:

What does Commager think are the main characteristics of the American spirit? I have outlined the following:

1) Optimism is exceptionally common. In this country, everything goes without a problem, and the conditions in nature are so superior that anyone who is enterprising and lucky can get rich. This optimism comes from actual changes. Every day, the wilderness becomes good land, the village becomes a city, and an ideal becomes reality.

2) They believe that nothing is impossible, and to never give up until victory is complete. Americans care more about the future than the past and today. They have no concept of history.

3) They possess a broad vision, with an imagination galloping across the continent, they hate trivial matters, hesitation, and timidity, hope for big spectacles, easy to accept large-scale planning and bold business ventures.

4) The culture is material, taking life comforts for granted, and treating those with substandard living standards with a sense of superiority.

5) They are always stubborn in overcoming difficulties, in part because they are convinced that tenacity coupled with hard work, wisdom, and luck will always have good results. Their pulse is hard work, and laziness is a sin. Anything that is conducive to increasing wealth and things is expected as a matter of course.

6) A strong interest in the quantitative; being inclined to evaluate almost everything with numbers; such as demographics, skyscrapers, railway mileage, production totals, and so on. To describe Americans requires a new vocabulary, even new mathematics.

7) They emphasize the practical, especially for politics, religion, culture, and science, but are more romantic for business. Americans always want to invent new tools or technologies to adapt to new situations. They like innovation, don't pay much attention to tradition and are willing to try anything. Their response to various things is very practical. There are innumerable inventions in the United States, and Americans are world-famous for their passion for little inventions. American colleges and universities first offered technical courses.

8) They hate theories and abstract speculation, avoiding the esoteric political philosophy and behavioral philosophy like healthy people do not take medicine, and any kind of philosophy beyond common sense can not attract their interest, the only thing that can be called their philosophy is the instrumentalism of truth. They instinctively think that unfortunate people and confused people turn to that profound philosophy, but they are not that kind of person.

9) Although their religious beliefs originate from Calvinism, they are also practical. They believe in religion but are not religious. They no longer believe in God's dogma to save humanity, but instinctively believe that they can be saved by working. They are called a lot, but they are not considered to be different organizations rather than different teachings. They can no longer distinguish between the Methodist Church and the Elders, just as they cannot see the difference between the Communist Party and the Democratic Party in principle.

10) In politics, they hate empty theories and rhetoric. Some people laugh that the United States does not have a political philosophy, and they take it for granted that it is a good thing not to be bound by political theory. The empty theoretical talk of any political party will not get their support. Although Americans are very young and inexperienced, they are politically mature. Their political institutions are as flexible and efficient as the machines they invented.

11) They are skeptical and tolerant of culture. When it hinders more important activities, they are skeptical. When it becomes a leisure time or a kind of entertainment for women, they are tolerant. In the case of older men, they demanded that culture should become some kind of useful siphon. Americans are concerned about education and are willing to spend money on education. They can cultivate people with practical effects.

12) They have a foolish conceit, as Yelang thinks highly of himself. They regard nearly all other nations with extreme contempt. They believe that their country is superior and they are superior to others. This sense of superiority produces a natural sense of mission and believes that they are the highest hope of the world.

13) The United States itself is the largest laboratory for experimentation. Since every community is a gamble, an opportunity, Americans are gamblers and opportunists. They rarely stay in one place and don't care about moving. They don't like the old-fashioned, they always love to do things with others, and are willing to accept challenges.

14) It is democratic and completely equal. The environment opens the way for talent and luck. But their democracy is a democracy of society, not economic democracy. The concept of equality penetrates American life and thought. Their behavior, work, entertainment, language and literature, religion and politics all embody equality, and real-life is not restricted by this concept. Economic inequality is actually envisaged as equal. Equality brings about harmonious and sincere relationships between people.

15) They are good-natured, generous, hospitable, and love to make friends. Most people like to communicate and like group life. They are casual, informal, talk casually, casual at a table, casually eat, and casual attitude towards people may be considered to be indulgent and rude.

16) They feel that authority and regulations are a headache and that it is an insult and challenge to comply with certain regulations. Schools have little chance. Parents rarely control their children, and children rarely respect their parents, but family life is happy. Army discipline is lax, but war can be fought. Americans do not seem to have laws, they actually respect the legal system, and the Constitution is the supreme law.

[i]From Wang's summary, he really hit upon Commager's fondness for pragmatism and American exceptionalism.

quote:

And so on. Commager's conclusion is that these beliefs cannot but have practical consequences and must be reflected in the daily behavior of the American people. The chapter in which Commager summarized these features was titled "19th Century Americans." In fact, some conclusions still apply today. Naturally, for any abstraction of real life, one can cite examples for and against. There are quite a few examples that can be used to refute Commager. In any case, as an American scholar, let us listen for the time being. Commager does have his merits but inevitably he blows his own horn. In fact, the American nation has many shortcomings.

Today, this 'spirit of America' can be found in space shuttles and global war plans, endless new devices, a large number of statistical reports, a practical spirit, noisy scenes in the classroom, and attitudes to government scandals.

Sometimes it can be said that life in society is spiritless, and you will have to discover it to have it. In other words, there is a spirit in the world, and the question is whether there is any discovery. Hegel was convinced that he had discovered "absolute spirit." The American spirit is that there is no "absolute spirit."

[i]The 'absolute spirit', or to use Wang's translation, 绝对精神, is from Hegel.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kangxi posted:

I do apologize for the delays. I've had notes for Chapter 2 Part 1 sitting on my desktop.

I've had a lot of responsibilities pile up over the past few weeks, and I've had barely any time for anything else. I can try to start up again this month?
No sweat. It's fine if the thread is a slow burn over a long period. I'll certainly be reading it. I'm sure others will as well.

Wang seems much more positive towards America in these early chapters. But the titles of the later chapters seem more critical.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
He absolutely is more critical of the US in later chapters, especially in chapters on the election. But he finds some things worth imitating, and he's willing to say so. The very next section has some ideas which I might throw out a wild guess were implemented at his suggestion but without any primary sources, I have no idea if this is his doing.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fleetwood posted:

Is it uncommon to see wildlife in rural China? I could understand, if so, but the idea seems strange to me.

I was in relatively rural China a few years ago, and it was striking how little wildlife we saw. Even birds were almost completely absent.

We were on trails several miles outside the Chinese tourist town of Yangshou.

plvlry
Jan 23, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

No sweat. It's fine if the thread is a slow burn over a long period. I'll certainly be reading it. I'm sure others will as well.

Wang seems much more positive towards America in these early chapters. But the titles of the later chapters seem more critical.

Yes, definitely! I only registered my account to follow this thread and I'm very sure I'll be following it until we get to the end of the book. Also I am really looking forward to the chapter about American politics!

It's so interesting and it's such a great job you're doing here, Kangxi.

Thank you.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Have you considered reposting this off-site for a wider audience?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Part 2: The Mayflower

quote:

It can be said that Massachusetts is a state of political and historical interest. American historical sites, while they are not so old, are still crucial in explaining political and historical developments. Europeans often mock the United States' lack of history, but this in fact reveals a worthwhile question. The modern society of the United States has only two hundred years of history, so why has it developed into the world's first-class power? This is an important phenomenon in today's society.

Some Chinese people also say that America has no history.

Much of the history of the founding of America is concentrated in two states, one part in Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, and the other in Boston in Massachusetts. While in Philadelphia, I went to see various historical monuments, including the venues of several important meetings during the War of Independence, where the Constitution was drafted, the Liberty Bell, and so on. There were also groups of Americans and foreigners there for sightseeing. These places are well preserved and have become material textbooks of a political tradition.

"Material textbook" is my translation of 实物教科书.

quote:

According to these material textbooks, American people are well-versed in such affairs. It is often suspected that there is no 'political education' in American society. But a traditional spirit is deeply rooted. Here, "material textbooks" play many roles. Places such as libraries set up after the end of presidential administrations are also material textbooks.

I won't go into detail about what is or isn't 'political education' in the US today, but in the PRC, there is coursework in schools up through the college level. Undergrads still take mandatory courses on politics, 'situations and policies', and basic theoretical Marxism. A short period of mandatory military training in colleges was also introduced in 1984.

quote:

The first chapters of the material textbook were in Massachusetts. The Mayflower sent the earliest European settlers to the continent in 1620. This is said to be the beginning of modern America. The "Mayflower" is a large wooden sailing vessel. An imitation is on display, but it is said to be very similar to the original. Everything on the ship is still the same, and some people dressed in the clothes of the time receive the passengers.

Tourists discussed with them the hard experiences at sea, and they spoke in the intonation of the time. They worked hard and with attention to detail. Not far from the Mayflower ship, there is a big stone. It is said that this is the first place where people from the Mayflower set foot in America, and so the beginning of the United States.

The Mayflower II is currently undergoing a long restoration, but will be seaworthy and sent back to Plymouth by 2020, in time for the 400th anniversary of the landings.

Plymouth Rock broke in 1774 after somebody tried to move it to the Plymouth Town Square. It's been chipped at for souvenirs over the years. Parts are in various museums across the country, but a segment, only a portion of the size of the original, is at sea level and under a large granite monument.

quote:

Americans generally trace the spirit of America to the Mayflower and believe that the basic principles of American society were established when the Mayflower sailed to the mainland. The sixty people on board established society's foundations. This explanation may make sense, but it must not be overstated. One thing is more certain, when people went from Europe to the Americas they were for the most part religiously persecuted or politically sidelined. In 1620, this was the period when the autocracy of the British Stuart dynasty reached its peak, and a British bourgeois revolution broke out in the next two decades.

He is, of course, referring to the English Civil War, although I wonder if he is conflating the idea of increased parliamentary power with the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

quote:

It can be seen who was willing to leave Europe and Britain at that time, and what kind of state of mind they were. They came to this desolate place to be rid of autocracy, escape persecution, and find freedom and wealth. This spirit encouraged them to come to the New World. They arrived at a vast mound of earth without a complete political order, so they could fulfill their wishes. If they come to a place where a complete political system has long been established, these dozens of people can only accept reality no matter how they turn their ideas into action. As many immigrants from all over the world come to the United States today, no one can change the system here. The spirit of the "Mayflower" can grow and develop precisely because this land is politically barren.

However, it is important to note that this spirit can only be shared among people on or in the "Mayflower" ship, that is, white people. For quite some time, whites excluded Indians and black people from the ranks of men. An important reason why the American political system could be established later is often overlooked. This is that the indigenous-Indians were not very civilized at the time, and they lived a clan-like life, and they could not make use of modern production technology and cultivation technology. This situation prevented European civilized people from enslaving them because they could not provide more products. The only option for European immigrants was to ask the Indians for the land. What if the Indians were a more civilized people?

"Civilized" 文明 and "Indians" 印第安人 are his words. I blanch when I see somebody in 1989 write so bluntly but there is a cold logic to his thinking. If he was a doctrinaire Marxist and historical materialist, he would say that modes of production are the determinant of all other factors of society -- hence a society with more advanced means of production being able to displace a different society so quickly.

quote:

This leads to the well-known argument put forth by my academic advisor, Dr. Chen Qiren on the difference between agricultural colonies and slave colonies. The former refers to the United States, Australia, and New Zealand; and the second type refers to many African countries, India, Indochina, and so on.

The twentieth-century history of these two different types of colonies forming completely different political solutions indicates this. There is a precondition for enslaving indigenous peoples: Which indigenous peoples were enslaved? Asian societies had developed to a considerable level before the arrival of the colonists, which provided the conditions for slavery by the European colonists. Americans do not have such favorable conditions in the New World. The American Indians were long regarded as savages, and civilized people only brought into slavery civilized people, and are less willing to bring under bondage those they consider "beasts".

I had a lot of trouble with this one so I'm posting the original text below:
这就是我在研究生期间的导师陈其人教授提出的著名论点。移民垦殖的殖民地和奴役土著的殖民地的差别。移民垦殖指宗主国的一部分居民移民到一块土地上,进行劳作,如美国、新西兰、澳大利亚等。奴役土著指的是一小部分宗主国的统者统治殖民地当地的人民,如非洲许多国家、印度、印度支那等地。这两种不同类型的殖民地形成了完全不同的政治解度二十世纪的历史指明了这一点。奴役土著有一个前提:土著能否被奴役?亚洲社会在殖民者来到之前,已经发展到相当的水平,为欧洲殖民者的奴役提供了条件。美国人在新大陆没有这样有利的条件。印第安人很久一直被视为野人,文明人只奴役文明人,而不太愿意奴役他们认为的“野兽”。

Chen Qiren (1924-2017) was a professor of social science at Fudan University, with a focus on Marxist economic theory. He was primarily known for his work on the role of corporations in American politics, although he wrote on such topics as the development of 'bourgeois economics' and colonialism. For a more detailed example of Chen's writing, see David Shambaugh's "Beautiful Imperialist", which provides a summary of Chinese policymakers' and intellectuals' views on the United States.

quote:

The spirit of the "Mayflower" survived, not because anyone intended to maintain it, but that social life must be controlled by it. I also looked at the Plymouth Plantation, where a seventeenth-century settlement was preserved, and it is said that the earliest immigrants lived here. This village is close to the sea, looking far into the distance, thousands of miles. The wooden houses and various appliances in the village are typical of old rural villages. It can be described in two words - "poor" and "backward". This is natural. European immigrants came from afar, had nothing, and started from scratch, only in this environment. Villages like this are as numerous as an ox has hairs in the world today, so what do they mean?

Just because immigration developed on the basis of poverty, immigrants especially value their wealth and lifestyle. Rich people are not born with the same intense emotions as the poor do. So when Britain wanted to exploit them, they will rise to defend their lives. In 1775, Americans fought against the British army, firing the first shot of the war of independence. I visited a place where the Americans shot the first shot and a monument was there. On the road across the river, there is also a monument laid down where the British soldiers killed by gunfire. The result of the war was the Americans won. The American War of Independence was also encouraged by the spirit of the European bourgeois revolution, especially when Britain, their ruler, had revolutions. As can be seen from the US Constitution, its basic principles were created by British and French thinkers during the European bourgeois revolutions. When the United States created its new system, it did not encounter the resistance of a powerful old system. Unlike the British bourgeois revolution and the French bourgeois revolution, it made it easier to announce the implementation of ideological principles reflecting the requirements of the bourgeoisie. Think about why Germany couldn't complete its bourgeois revolution in the mid-nineteenth century. The Juncker aristocracy was too powerful.

He is referring to the failure of the German Revolutions of 1848-1849.

The explanation here makes me think of 'path dependency' in economics or other social sciences but he has no citations.

quote:

The United States values the preservation and protection of these material textbooks. In these places, there are full-time personnel to manage and provide the convenient measures needed for public visits, such as parking, shops, restaurants, and various instructions. The facilities of the exhibition are also standardized, and there are studios in almost every place, and visitors can see specially produced films and slides. Some things that are not considered to be Chinese by the Chinese are carefully protected. So, Americans will have a history in the future, because it is going all out to protect it. They know that they have no history, and they value treasures that have historical value. In a country with too much history, things that are much more valuable are abandoned.

Not only do Americans protect history, but they also know how to make these things work as textbooks. These locations are open to the public and provide the best public understanding of them. In fact, to spread the American spirit is a kind of socialized ideological and political education.

Any society that wants to endure should spread its own value system, but the methods of communication are different, and the effect of communication depends to a large extent on the method.

I think Wang got his wish. In 1991, the CCP started a "Patriotic Education Campaign" as part of its education curriculum, which emphasized China's victimization before 1949. The campaign formally started with two documents titled "Notice about Conducting Education of Patriotism and Revolutionary Tradition by Exploiting Extensively Cultural Relics’’ and ‘‘General Outline on Strengthening Education on Chinese Modern and Contemporary History and National Conditions.", and notably credited from an internal document sent from then Chairman Jiang Zemin to the Secretary of Education. In 1994, the CCP would issue an "Outline on Implementing Patriotic Education", which reads, in part: "The objectives of conducting patriotic education campaign are to boost the nation’s spirit, enhance cohesion, foster national self-esteem and pride, consolidate and develop a patriotic united front to the broadest extent possible, and direct and rally the masses’ patriotic passions to the great cause of building socialism with Chinese characteristics." (the Translation is not mine, that is from Prof. Zheng Wang's National Humiliation, History Education, and the Politics of Historical Memory: Patriotic Education Campaign in China. International Studies Quarterly (2008) 52, 783–806.)

As a result, the historical curriculum changed from having primarily a Marxist element, which emphasized class struggle, to a narrative more focused on nationalism and patriotism. Various figures were rehabilitated or cast in a different light.

The CCP also designated about a hundred different sites across China as "patriotic education bases", and about 2/3rds of these were from past wars or battle sites, such as those from the Civil War, the second Sino-Japanese War, and many from the imperial era. At various times, the Central Committee and State Council have encouraged periods of "red tourism" to visit these battle sites, historical museums, and other similar locations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

plvlry posted:

Yes, definitely! I only registered my account to follow this thread and I'm very sure I'll be following it until we get to the end of the book. Also I am really looking forward to the chapter about American politics!

It's so interesting and it's such a great job you're doing here, Kangxi.

Thank you.

Thank you. That means a lot.

just another posted:

Have you considered reposting this off-site for a wider audience?

I've been considering setting up a Wordpress or something similar for my incidental writing and to archive some other things I've made. TibetLP is a fun side product of mine, but that might have to sit cheek-by-jowl with more serious work I'm doing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Of course America had a history before Plymouth Rock. We just threw it out because it wasn't a "civilized" history. Coming in right after its apocalypse didn't help.

China didn't get that option, but seeing a perspective on American patriotism from the outside is a real eye-opener.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Glazius posted:

China didn't get that option, but seeing a perspective on American patriotism from the outside is a real eye-opener.

As an outsider I'm very curious what parts you experienced as real eye-openers and why.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Excellent work Kangxi!

Orange Devil posted:

As an outsider I'm very curious what parts you experienced as real eye-openers and why.

I assume he means how a lot of these sites are carefully manufactured to present a specific historical ideal to visitors, something you don't think about as an American like, ever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Grapplejack posted:

I assume he means how a lot of these sites are carefully manufactured to present a specific historical ideal to visitors, something you don't think about as an American like, ever.

Right. I got my "American history" in bits and pieces through my actual history, from formal schooling and casual interest, from a lot of perspectives. I can't turn all of that off to look at just the manufactured ideal, so it's interesting to read a thoughtful analysis from someone who takes that ideal as their primary experience.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Glazius posted:

Coming in right after its apocalypse didn't help.

I think this is the biggest thing missing from his analysis. They had been wiped out by diseases. I’m not sure that was widely under stood at the time this book was written though.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Part 3: A Political Creed

quote:

One of the main reasons why Europeans to look down on Americans is that Europeans think that Americans have no long cultural traditions and no great figures. They are like a group of “hillbillies” who got rich quick in the domain of politics. This view is reflected in Europeans' belief that Americans do not have a rich legacy of political justice. Europe contributed to Aristotle, Plato, Hobbes, Montesquieu, Locke, Rousseau, Mill, Hegel and other ideas. An important aspect of their achievements is that they have provided a wonderful account of human political life. Many of the basic tenets of today's European and even Western politics are derived from these ideas. American political thought is not so developed. The United States has only two hundred years of history. The American veterans chose the ideology that already exists in Europe, and they did not make many new contributions. American political scholars are also blunt on the matter.

Nonetheless, one must not assert that Americans do not have political beliefs and that political beliefs do not work in the United States. Harvard political scientist Samuel P. Huntington has written a book, "American Politics: The Promise of Disharmony" (1981), which deals specifically with this issue. He said that it would be a mistake to think that political thought is not as effective in the United States as in Europe.

Samuel P. Huntington (1927-2008) was a Harvard-trained political scientist who obtained his Ph.D. at age 23 and began teaching at Harvard almost immediately after. His first major book was "The Soldier and the State: The Theory and Politics of Civil-Military Relations", published in 1957. He was denied tenure there and moved to Columbia in 1959, where he became friends with another new hire, Zbigniew Brzezinski. In 1977, he was invited by Brzezinski to serve on the staff of the National Security Council during the Carter administration, which he did until the end of 1978. His major works include "Political Order in Changing Societies", which was a critique of W. W. Rostow's developmental theory, suggesting that as societies 'modernize' and grow more complex, they may grow more violent without institutional developments to keep that violence in check. In 1991, he wrote "The Third Wave", which chronicled the waves of democratization among authoritarian states since the mid-1970s, starting with the Carnation Revolution in Portugal and continuing through to ex-Warsaw Pact states, the 'East Asian Tigers', and some states in sub-Saharan Africa.

More controversially, he wrote a Foreign Affairs article called "The Clash of Civilizations?" which cast doubt on the "end of history" thesis of Francis Fukuyama and said that further violence in world history would likely be between "Western" civilization and Islam. His thesis has provoked much controversy in the years ahead among academics and policymakers, although his ideas found a kind of cachet after the events of September 11, 2001. His advisory role to the apartheid government in South Africa has also led to criticism.

quote:

According to Huntington, "American Creed" has been formed since the time of the War of Independence. From the end of the eighteenth century to the beginning of the nineteenth century, the United States has formed some fundamental political values. This is the American creed. The core content of the American Creed came from the thinkers of the European bourgeois revolution, but it also has a more ancient origin, which can be traced back to ancient Greece. These creeds not only exist but are accepted by most members of society. These creeds have evolved one way or another over the course of two hundred years, but their core has remained the same. These creeds form part of the "self" of the American nation. Many people in society are not promoting these creeds all day, but people are practicing them. Universities, courts, governments, and the mass media are spreading these tenets. To some extent, these creeds dominate society. One of the main topics of the Dukakis and Bush campaigns was to discuss what is the mainstream of the United States and who has left the mainstream of the United States. Neither side is willing to leave the mainstream of the United States or they will lose their votes.

What is the American creed? Huntington believes that it can be summarized as (1) freedom; (2) equality; (3) individualism; (4) democracy; (5) the rule of law. It looks simple and clear. The human problem is here, even if it is a simple idea, it must be difficult for it to become the dominant idea of society. Without the efforts of several generations, it will not work. Naturally, American creeds and American practices do not completely match.

Where does the creed come from? It can be said that from the Declaration of Independence, these tenets were used as ideological weapons in the struggle against British colonial rule. It can also be said that from the European tradition of thought, these basic concepts have been brilliantly shown in Europe long before the War of Independence. Early Americans yearned for these beliefs because of emotional motivation, or at least emotional motivation more than rational motivation. Americans believe in these creeds, but the relationship between these ideas has never been well discussed by a thinker, and people have always regarded them as an ideal. The conflict between these ideals is clear and easy to see. Huntington said majority rule could lead to violations of minority rights, the supremacy of law could weaken people's democratic rights, individualism could undermine democracy, and so on. These conflicts not only exist logically but also develop in the course of actual political development. Some dilemmas in political life can be partially explained in this situation. Americans call their democracy, but what can ordinary people do besides elections? Perhaps any society can't escape this pattern if it is to organize.

Most people share these ideas. There are various reasons here. One of the main reasons is that before the war of independence, there were no hierarchical differences like in Europe, and different ideologies based on these differences did not form. From the beginning, people generally accepted the value system created for the new world. Naturally, in later developments, different social classes interpreted these creeds differently. The bipartisan battle is a reflection of its concentration today. I am afraid that everyone cannot accept these creeds, but most people accept them. Many immigrant groups are unable to truly agree with these tenets because of the influence of different cultures. Such as Chinese immigrant society, Latin American immigrant society, Japanese immigrant society. The mainstream still exists. Americans continue to protect themselves with these creeds that have no definite meaning, because they have no definite content, but are easy to last for a long time.

I don't have Huntington's book so I don't know if this is his argument or Wang Huning's.

quote:

One hundred and forty years ago, French historian Alexis de Tocqueville said that Americans generally believe that people are the source of power. People respect freedom and equality, most citizens have political power and so on. These are the elements of the American Creed. James Bryce's summary is: (1) the individual has sacred power; (2) the source of power lies in the people; (3) all governments are restricted by laws and people; (4) local governments take precedence over the federal government; (5) Most people are wiser than a few; (6) The smallest government is the best government, and these beliefs can explain the left and right. In general, Americans don't feel the need for explanations, and everyone thinks they know the true story. However, in times of crisis, people will interpret these tenets differently.

Alexis de Tocqueville, of course, was a classical liberal, political scientist, and historian. His Democracy in America is one of the most commonly assigned texts to young undergraduate students in political science.

James Bryce, 1st Viscount Bryce, was a historian, political scientist, and British Ambassador to the United States from 1907-1913. He was known for his three-volume work, The American Commonwealth, which followed the journeys of Tocqueville. He believed the United States to be much more unequal than Tocqueville had described, yet he held some optimism for the future of the United States, noting its extreme economic growth and high standards of living compared to European countries. He might also be termed a 'Whig historian'.

quote:

Huntington believes that this happened in four periods: the revolutionary period, the Jefferson period, the Civil War, and the unrest in the 1960s. What happened during these periods were mainly general dissatisfaction, political ideology played an important role in the debate, political turmoil, strong anti-regime sentiment, an intensified mentality for change, and expanded political participation. The more important reason is that actual politics did not realize these creeds, potential conflicts continued to accumulate and finally erupted like a volcano, thereby finding new structures. Because most people believe in these creeds, the first thing that people think of at the outbreak is to better embody them, rather than change them. The society has been realizing the same creed, and society is constantly changing its beliefs. The continuity of its social development cannot be ignored in its social development.

Many political scholars acknowledge the existence of "I v l Gap" in the United States, that is, "Gap between Ideas and Institutions". Although these beliefs are the mainstream of society, actual political life falls far behind these beliefs. Freedom, equality, individualism, democracy, and the rule of law are also developing in the United States, but they have different degrees of development compared to other societies. The question is not when these beliefs are fully realized but when society can create the conditions to make them a reality. Many people may not like these beliefs, but the mainstream of society does not allow them to move against the tide. In most cases, people accept the tide, and people only show their beliefs when necessary.

The state of political beliefs gives people a revelation. It is not easy for a society to accept these beliefs, and it is even harder to actually practice them after accepting it. In terms of social development, the first step is to make the core values into the mainstream of society, and then to make it a reality. When core values do not become mainstream, it is naturally more difficult to make them a reality. A society can say what it believes, but it does not mean that it actually has or does not have anything.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i find it interesting that china's red tourism with interactive exhibits might've been influenced by america. they just need a smokey the bear equivalent to tell kids that only they can prevent forest fires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSJ8AGG_VRE

not that anyone asked but the "joke" of my avatar and username is also about blurring those things together because it just seems instantly funny to me. like a buc-ee's advertising mascot is a nod to my texas roots but it could be read as a criticism of "real-existing socialism" as just a variant of authoritarian capitalism or a critique of the authoritarian structure of american capitalism. i don't really fall neatly on those questions but i like playing with those ideas.

https://twitter.com/HunanTimes/status/1103483578334117888

Kangxi posted:

Samuel P. Huntington (1927-2008) was a Harvard-trained political scientist who obtained his Ph.D. at age 23 and began teaching at Harvard almost immediately after. His first major book was "The Soldier and the State: The Theory and Politics of Civil-Military Relations", published in 1957. He was denied tenure there and moved to Columbia in 1959, where he became friends with another new hire, Zbigniew Brzezinski. In 1977, he was invited by Brzezinski to serve on the staff of the National Security Council during the Carter administration, which he did until the end of 1978. His major works include "Political Order in Changing Societies", which was a critique of W. W. Rostow's developmental theory, suggesting that as societies 'modernize' and grow more complex, they may grow more violent without institutional developments to keep that violence in check. In 1991, he wrote "The Third Wave", which chronicled the waves of democratization among authoritarian states since the mid-1970s, starting with the Carnation Revolution in Portugal and continuing through to ex-Warsaw Pact states, the 'East Asian Tigers', and some states in sub-Saharan Africa.
"soldier and the state" had a lot of influence on the U.S. cold war military structure, and the most important thing was making distictions between "objective" and "subjective" control systems (i think) in terms of how the civil authority relates to or interfaces with the military and controls it so the military doesn't control the civil, contrasting the U.S. system with marxist-leninist ones (in which the military is politically indoctrinated in marxist-leninist ideology and is treated as a political weapon in a sense... although the objective western systems do this in a different way with the military being a political weapon to the extent that it stays out of politics but is used by the civil authority / politicians to carry out national-level political objectives. note that both systems ultimately derive from clausewitz who viewed warfare as politics by other means). wang huning doesn't seem to talk much about the military but might glance at it in chapter 11 with the role of national security institutions and think tanks, which i'm particularly interested in because i think a marxist-leninist would critique the U.S. military control system as not being as "objective" as huntington would've described it.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Personally I'm most interested in chapters four and five, since I'd like to see the Chinese interpretation of the American political system. What they think works, what they feel doesn't.