Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
…in which, we discuss the bi-weekly podcast that discusses the very worst people and things in history, with frequent comedic asides! BtB’s host is one Robert Evans no, not that one , conflict journalist, former Cracked writer, author of a book about slurping some salamander, current Bellingcat contributor, and overall pod-caster.

There isn’t any sort of plot or order to BtB, as most subjects span 1-3 episodes, about an hour and change long. However, SWIM I’d heartily recommend starting from Episode 1 as it sets your base of Farting Hitler, and will gradually escalate to a full Bleach Drink fourth plateau-esque experience.

Additionally, there are guest hosts! Sophie, who deserves her own hour of power, honestly! One pumps, with the possibility of one cream to follow! Many callbacks to past episodes, whether subject-related or not.

A solid taste of ”is this show my speed?” would be the Alex Jones four-parter, which also sounds like a pizza topping that would give you immediate gout. Alternatively the L.Ron one, that’s one you pour a stiff drink to. However, there are more serious episodes, such as the recent one on current uprisings (Rojava, Hong Kong, Lebanon, among others), and the Georgia Tann episode. Luckily, all of the episodes (minus the one that you can’t at all find if you look, should one hypothetically do so) are here, and on pretty much all places where pods are casted.

https://www.behindthebastards.com

teen witch fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can I gently request a mod to make the title ”What’s swingin’, my machetes! It’s Behind the Bastards” as this is the thread title i got absurdly upset with after i kept getting dinged. Should that not work out, I’ll settle for ”Machetes!”

teen witch fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 18, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Send_Ninjas posted:

Have we figured out what his forums handle was?

He occasionally talks about having been a goon in the past.

I think I have an idea as to who, but mums the word as to not make it weird. I’m not going to potentially out him, despite the grandiose wealth and riches I’ve been offered to do so.

Should he make himself visible, his call! but let’s not make it weird unless all parties choose to do so, and then we go into the woods and finally make it weird
under the moonlight with some daggers and some Sabbath.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Any idea for this week’s episode? Or episodes you hope happen?

I’m gunning for less bastards as a singular person and more multiple bastards in a bastard event, like the Bhopal one. A multibastard pile up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

An insane mind posted:

Maybe an episode about Chris Kyle? I mean there are still people who think he was nothing less than a hero when he was pretty obviously a psychopath who accidentally saved other soldiers while killing people.

That’ll get Robert possibly killed but ooh, it’d be a good one.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Listening to this Kaiser Wilhem episode and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsS3pIDBfw

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

Putting a fiver in the eventual pool that Evans was banned in the HillPurge of 16.

Some say Evans still roams the boards, violently throwing anything that comes near him...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

sophie is his producer, not a guest star

Sophie IS the star, let’s be real.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

well yeah her and Anderson, but you listed her as a guest star in the OP

Ah no I meant it like individual statements separated by exclamation points, but I can see how it can be construed that way.

Plus, if I’d ever highlight a guest, it’d be Billy Wayne Davis.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

An insane mind posted:

The only guest I really don't like for some reason is Jamie Loftus, which is weird because I like her writing...

Also shouldn't the thread title be some play on his openings? Like...What's threading...my posters!

Check the OP for what the forums kept rejecting as a thread. I asked if a mod could humbly fix it

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
New episode is out and it’s a live one about the creator of Sea Monkeys!

I read an article about the person in question and holy poo poo, this one is a long time coming.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
That episode was as fantastic as it was loving visceral. Usually I’m ok with body horror but when I know that this (and more!) actually happened, I’m suddenly a tremendous child. I do love that BtB punctuates gruesome no poo poo horror with wacky bastard follies but this one was violently whiplashing for 2 hours.

Actual pic of Butcher Brown

Also, I forgot how much I love the word neovagina, it’s futuristic as gently caress.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

Hey y'all this is Robert. TFR convinced me to get back on to talk about guns.

I think I was unclear in my 8chan episode and some folks have misinterpreted the status of my old account. I was never permabanned or anything. My old account is still active. But I had it when I was 12 or something and I'd prefer not to have it easily associated with my name.

I understand Mr.Stomper58, it’s a different time now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As a New Yorker, the Dolan episode was llllooooongggg overdue and it’s a shame it’s been erased from the official record. I also grew up near Camp Siegfried, and it was real fuckin nice to hear someone bring it up as LI has a huge shadow of racism and overall bigotry that is constantly minimized.

If you ever wish to continue the “Long Island, Bastard Island” theme, I highly recommend Robert Moses or the development of the suburbs. LI is still one of the most insanely segregated parts of the country, for Some Mysterious Reason!

Thankfully I’m in Sweden now, where my mere presence makes wherever I am and the surrounding 500m a No-Go zone. I bring the segregation to them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m 100 percent on board with a Vince episode if, and only if, this is an episode that plays this clip in its entirely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujo7V9m0gk

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I am VERY JEALOUS of Sophie’s Lisa Hanawalt shirt

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
this is a Taurus safe space, Jamie

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I would just like to note that Robert casually dropping "Oh by the way Ace of Base were probably Nazis" like that was poo poo we all knew or at least were mentally prepared for was cruel

One was a Nazi and recanted, thankfully. The rest are aggressively bland people playing aggressively bland Swedish pop that I inexplicably like.

Though that thing about Sweden and the nazis, lol, yeah, it’s showing that they hid out here at times nowerdays.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah that much I had known. Then I read the article Robert mentioned and while I think there's one or two stretches in it, it ain't all stretches is the thing (I never saw the video for "All That She Wants," for instance, and now that I have.... uugh).

To be fair, Swedes are oddly keen on candelabras that looks like menorahs, and there’s that whole Raggare thing, but as an American witch of color here, it’s likely equal parts absolute naïveté and dashes of “this is neat and I refuse to understand any cultural significance! what a motif”....and genuine bigotry.

Also if they were more Nazi than the one, that tea would have spilled years ago, but stranger things have happened (ask me about Nogger ice cream! And negerchokladbollar! And weird white dude thirst here).

Anywho, yesterday’s episode was fantastic and I’d like more poo poo about esoteric fascism as someone who is openly kinda occult, that poo poo is everywhere and I’d like to have my gay little candle rituals in peace.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

I swear every time I see that ice cream I do a double take. At least they got rid of the yellowface icon for that Kina brand snack, though.

what sucks even worse is that it’s a decent pop but then the name and it curdles on the tongue

I’m happy to hear about the Kina snacks cause that was A Normal Thing To See, No Questions At All. Here’s hoping “indian” corn is next, or the best seltzer I’ve had here with this :chloe: of a name

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
This conversation is crucial and so crucial that it should maybe be had...elsewhere.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

yesss its LRH/Jack Parsons

YESSSSSSSSSS

As an occultist I’m loving HYPED

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“Mid-wolf” oh you mean

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

man, reporting on Biden as a candidate is gonna make Twitter hell for a while

The moment I read that Bernie dropped out, even though I’m ambivalent at best towards him, I immediately had the urge to slowly stick my face in my food processor.

I don’t envy you.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
President Simpson’s character that comes to mind, VP Harris Glen “Divine” Milstead, well, what remains of him.

it’s important to me that I vote, not necessarily for a corporeal form.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Also isn’t Mara Wilson Shapiros cousin? Jeez imagine the family reunions

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Snowy posted:

He’s great, I’m always happy to see that he’s a guest.

Also I’m sure this isn’t quite the right thread but it might be as good as any for this: I have a 13 year old nephew in Sweden who is getting into D&D and Warhammer. He’s autistic and has almost no friends at school, they’re all outdoorsy sporty types who don’t want to hear about bugbears or Godzilla.

Lately I’ve been kind of concerned about his interests and humor, to me it sounds like he’s getting reddit poisoned and I fear that he’s a prime target for getting redpilled or whatever. When he was here in the US and played D&D with a local group a couple kids got mad, saying he was being a racist. He said he was trying to role play the biases that the D&D races have for each other, but I don’t want him focusing on racial stereotypes for entertainment.

I’m trying to guide him as best I can but we only text and FaceTime a few times a week. His family doesn’t seem to take it very seriously but there’s a certain amount of casual racism that is acceptable in Sweden in my experience.

Are there any resources for helping gamer kids like that to not fall into being hateful redditor neckbeards before it’s too late?

If he’s in Sörmland on the off chance lmk, there is literally a wargaming store in my building and I am a woman of color, I can vouch for them, or if there’s anything else I can do, shoot me a DM.

If not by me, show him poo poo like critical role even though I cannot stand it, they’re dece with representation. Show him that nerds of color exist, and that you can let your freak flag fly without being lovely to others. And this one’ll sting, but if he does something in front of you that’s over the line, call him out firmly, clearly, but in love. Same for his parents as well, as Swedes Mr. Bean their way through race relations 101. I’ve been here for four years and it’d be heart crushingly tragic if it wasn’t so goddamn comedic at times.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Mentioning the IDF exists and how Americans can be a part of it isn’t problematic. Like he’s also mentioned other heinous people he’s talked to and met with and like isn’t he a journalist?

If it’s because his ex was wearing an IDF shirt then yeah, yuck on that but then again, perhaps they are an ex for reasons.

Admittedly it raised my eyebrows as well, but like, comparing all other opinions expressed in episodes prior vs an ex with an IDF shirt/IDF guy with Literal Child Bride, I don’t think you need to spell out what side of the fence Robert sits on - it’s clear.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It took way longer in the Henry Morton Stanley episode to realize that it wasn’t Henry Morgan Stanley.

I’m just hearing bastards in other bastards. Bastards all the way down.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

It's not a joke. A lot of the time podcast ads are inserted automatically by an ad network the podcasters partner with with no input from the latter which occasionally leads to stuff like this.

Of course misguided ad attempts even without algorithms: the host of Swindled, a podcast that's as anti-comsumerist, anti-corruption and anti-captialist as they come, was personally contacted with an ad proposal from the Mike Bloomberg campaign of all people (whose ads ALSO appeared on BtB)

Yep, I remember the Bloomberg ads, though hell, I got them online on an English speaking website for Swedish news. They were relentless the week before he dropped out.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Pow-KEEP-sie, NY nearly gave me a stroke.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Me, Jan 2020: [reads the podcast entitled “worst year ever”] “hahah as if that was possible!”
Me, Today: [chain-smoking three cigarettes at a time] “w-w-welcome to t-t-the worsssst y-year ev-er...”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigDave posted:

Honestly I'd like to see a couple of episodes about the Columbine shooters.

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold: The alcoholic suicidal Nazis who took mass shootings mainstream

I know that one of them is way worse than the other, though reading “In Cold Blood” Smith and Hickock reminded me heavily of them.

I’d like a goddamn episode on the weird Columbine groupies OR angry white men as a demographic. I mean...most of it can be boiled down to “we’re addicted to failing people at their most vulnerable”, but still.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

He made multiple episodes on Jacob Wohl.

Jacob “800 dogs in DC” Wohl

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

It is absolutely bonkers how much people are freaking out over what is, at this point, essentially a large unpermitted block party with barricades

Thanks, somehow you make it sound even more awesome when I didn’t think it was possible.

God I hope there’s good BBQ there.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigDave posted:

I'm guessing they're vegan

You can still have good vegan BBQ. As long as you’re wearing the appropriate shoes

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

I, for one, can't wait for the Lowtax ep of BtB

Oh good god yes though would there be enough to do an entire episode on? He isn’t a bastard with mass death on his hands but Jesus he is a bastard

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s giving me real Phantasm sphere vibes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QE3yE1QlwU (NWS-ish)

E: whelp that preview sort of shows it all now doesn’t it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If Robert is a fed stooge then maybe there’s hope for me after all.