Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Available now on PS4, Xbox, PC, and Switch!

Romancing SaGa 3 is a jRPG developed Square, originally released for the Super Famicon in 1995. It received a fan translation in 2000, but was otherwise unavailable to english speaking audiences. Until now.

quote:

The celebrated RPG classic comes west for the first time! Developed by industry veterans including the legendary developer Akitoshi Kawazu, Romancing SaGa™ 3 was originally released in Japan in 1995. This HD remaster of the legendary RPG masterpiece introduces optimized graphics, a new dungeon to explore, new scenarios and a new game+ function. Select one of the 8 unique protagonists and embark on an epic adventure defined by your own choices!

Once every 300 years, the Rise of Morastrum—an event where the dark star blocks out the sun—threatens the very existence of our world. All born in that year are doomed to perish before its end. Whether man or beast, none have a chance at survival.

However, there came a time when a sole child did survive. He was entranced by the power of death, using it to conquer the world. He came to be known as the Archfiend. Yet one day, he simply vanished.

Another 300 years passed, and again a child defied fate. She did not give in to the same powers that controlled the Archfiend, and came to be known as the Matriarch.

It has been nearly two decades since the previous rising of Morastrum, and 300-odd years since the appearance of the Matriarch. Humanity now stands at the fulcrum between hope and despair.

Will there be another child of destiny? Will the child be righteous, evil, or another force that the world cannot fathom?

Why should I play this game?

It relieves the pain of being alive.

Look at all these playable characters. You get to play a lobster, a fairy, a snowman, an elephant, a Batman, a fat Batman, a vampire, a fairy, and two kinds of pirate. Most other games cant match that.

Resources
https://romancing-saga-3.blogspot.com - good, in depth guide that I found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Waiting on money, but I'm ready for more (official) SaGa releases.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I played the hell out of the fan translation back when I was a wee lad. I remember going through the game with Katarina's story after trying both Thomas and Marquis and having no loving clue what I was doing with their minigames. I can't say it was a fantastic game, but it was pretty drat unique as far as SNES RPGs went.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hogama posted:

Waiting on money, but I'm ready for more (official) SaGa releases.

They're releasing the newest game in English in like two weeks, and there's a gacha game coming in English next year.

Romancing Saga 2 came out in English a while ago as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm trying to get stronger to defeat the new Bonus Boss and the Final Boss.

I'm doing this by fighting Asuras in the Phantom Maze.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're releasing the newest game in English in like two weeks, and there's a gacha game coming in English next year.

Romancing Saga 2 came out in English a while ago as well.
Oh holy poo poo, Scarlet Grace is right around the corner. Did JP like it? I completely flubbed these release dates!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish I could play Minstrel's Song on my Vita.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

They renamed Sharl to Charl :gibs:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The only SaGa game I've ever spent any real time on is SaGa Frontier but I still love and play all of them god bless.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rascyc posted:

Oh holy poo poo, Scarlet Grace is right around the corner. Did JP like it? I completely flubbed these release dates!

Scarlet Grace was divisive inasmuch as all the out-of-battle stuff - exploration, towns, dungeons, events, etc - is basically still images and text, so being able to accept that aspect of the game is the biggest hurdle. The advantage of taking the game in that direction is there's an absolute shitload of branching content - maybe even too much, as its easy to lose track of what you're doing or the context for things the plot might dump on you.

The version we're getting overseas is a big improvement over the original Vita version - it runs way better and has far fewer bugs, there's more characters, difficulty settings you can change whenever, new game+, etc. You can also choose between a handheld-friendly UI and a TV-friendly UI, which is particularly useful on Switch.

The most controversy I've seen around this game in Japan was from Vita warriors who were pissed that what used to be a Vita exclusive was being completely obsoleted by this new multiplat version.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I remember playing translations of 2 and this one way back forever ago and am super stoked to get this version

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I played 3 first. I tried to get interested in the hd remaster they just released of 2, but I couldnt get myself in to running my castle. at least, not when I could be palling around with my lobster and snowman buddies.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
I liked RS3 was because it was sort of the culmination of Squaresoft's "golden age" on the SNES. Removing it from that context is throwing me for a loop, like I need to keep reminding myself that a lot of the visual effects that look kind of budget in the remaster were really impressive in the original and next to nobody was doing the kind of setpiece encounters this game goes for at that time.

RS2 is still my favorite of the Romancing series but I'm developing a new appreciation for 3 with this version.

eric ciaramella posted:

They renamed Sharl to Charl :gibs:

I've had him in my party almost the entire game and can't get myself to call him Charl. Like just call him Charles or something. Why Charl.

I can't tell if the translation is intentionally trying for Woolsey-esque charm or if it just sucks. Multiple scenes have characters saying "Toodle-oo!" as they exit

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

does this do the emperor descent thing like 2?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

No. You pick a protagonist from a list of 8 characters at the start, and they're your character for the rest of the game. Your party members are each unique as well, unlike the semi-generic character classes in RS2. The game seldom forces characters out of your party; you aren't forced to rebuild a team from scratch every so often like in 2.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

No, you pick one main character who is in your party for the rest of the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now I need to find a place where you can fight high-level Insects for crafting materials.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yama (the Bonus Boss) still brutalizes me, but I last longer.

Time to get EVEN STRONGER! *Nora smashes a hammer on the ground*

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

No, but there is a lot going on under the hood in this game in which you can slightly guide your characters to spark skills they usually would not if rolled as the correct class.

I highly recommend taking a look at the blog linked in the OP, because while you may not raise an emperor/ess through the centuries, your character can do quite a lot! My personal note is that the pink haired woman, the one who is searching for the Masquerade sword, can only be picked as a starting character and can't be found in any other fashion.

She's a solid pick, as is Mikhail, the Fabio-looking guy, as he gets access to a minigame. Thomas, the merchant, gets one as well.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Scarlet Grace was divisive inasmuch as all the out-of-battle stuff - exploration, towns, dungeons, events, etc - is basically still images and text, so being able to accept that aspect of the game is the biggest hurdle. The advantage of taking the game in that direction is there's an absolute shitload of branching content - maybe even too much, as its easy to lose track of what you're doing or the context for things the plot might dump on you.

The version we're getting overseas is a big improvement over the original Vita version - it runs way better and has far fewer bugs, there's more characters, difficulty settings you can change whenever, new game+, etc. You can also choose between a handheld-friendly UI and a TV-friendly UI, which is particularly useful on Switch.

The most controversy I've seen around this game in Japan was from Vita warriors who were pissed that what used to be a Vita exclusive was being completely obsoleted by this new multiplat version.
Thanks! Sounds like the game for me, I really enjoyed learning and playing Unlimited Saga all on my lonesome when I had no internet.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

It's worth noting you can recruit Thomas as any character to play his minigame. It's well worth doing, since you get a lot of cash for each phase you complete (though nowhere near the billions you end up casually throwing around by the end of it, curiously). Another character specific thing is HaridKhalid's unique side dungeon if you play as him, but it's not that special in this version (in the original it was the only way to fight more than one Asura per playthrough, which are by far the best regular enemy to learn new techniques from)

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yama (the Bonus Boss) still brutalizes me, but I last longer.

Time to get EVEN STRONGER! *Nora smashes a hammer on the ground*

My team was pretty stacked when I beat this guy but I still feel like I got lucky- he spent a bunch of turns spamming Wall of Fire, for some reason. The tiger formation that reduces damage was pretty essential

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish I could dodge his Mega Suction or the random Status Effects.

Plenty of accessories give resistance to statuses but not much give immunities.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I defeated Oblivion but the game crashed during Ellen's ending. :negative:

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

I finished up with this game this evening. Now I guess I sit here, spam some youtube links and wait for Scarlet Grace in a few weeks?

I'm a real sucker for jrpg buttrock, and this game has some of the best of its era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtSR0r1IZO4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNFJiZCZs0

The town music is really good for some of the cast, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oN9RrPfF5Ehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulyyG-v3M0I

I also appreciate them using music from the benighted gacha game for the bonus boss, since even if the game sucks the music is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpzNFkbFQ2Q

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

I'm a real sucker for jrpg buttrock, and this game has some of the best of its era:

I was always partial to this remix of the last battle. It was what made me actually look this game up and play it, all those years ago :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_ytUUB7A8

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I like the gacha and am excited to roll for SS Asellus when it comes out in english. :downs:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SaGa Scarlet Grace Ambitions is out!

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
I just dumped about 100 hours into RS2 for some reason after buying 3 on a whim. I remember buying 2, barely trying it, and dropping it when it came out a few years ago haha. But now I am ready, now I get it. For the NG+ on RS3, are skills transferable to a fresh save as soon as they are blacked out on the list? And what happens when I pick a different MC, will all the proficiencies transfer or does it lock to just that character? And do proficiencies soft cap at 40 still lol.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Characters forget all their old skills in NG+, but you keep the list of mastered skills you can teach people, so yeah, make sure you master anything you want in NG+. They do keep their learned spells though.

Proficiencies/stats are tied to the character, so if you use Monka for your first playthrough she'll still have them when you recruit her with someone else. It also looks like Max HP doesn't get carried over? I'm not sure if it's reduced or just returned to default. Max SP and MP get carried over.

No clue about the softcap.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

Bummed it doesn’t sync recruitable characters to a global level ala RS2, but I am amazed at how much larger everything is in comparison to 2. Will probably scoop up Ambitions because I heard it was very SaGa still but with a ton of modern flourish.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What’s the “romancing” stand for, do you get to date the lobster?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bitch Twinkles posted:

Bummed it doesn’t sync recruitable characters to a global level ala RS2, but I am amazed at how much larger everything is in comparison to 2. Will probably scoop up Ambitions because I heard it was very SaGa still but with a ton of modern flourish.

It's good and it's kicking my rear end.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Avalerion posted:

What’s the “romancing” stand for, do you get to date the lobster?

Can you think of anything more romantic than doing a ton of sidequests and then killing a god?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I’m getting curbstomped by the first Abyss Lord, Aunus. However, I do love the mercy that the game provides in just dumping you out at the beginning of the dungeon if you wipe, with any techs sparked. Grand Slam is awesome 👏

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I’m getting curbstomped by the first Abyss Lord, Aunus. However, I do love the mercy that the game provides in just dumping you out at the beginning of the dungeon if you wipe, with any techs sparked. Grand Slam is awesome 👏

You can do them in any order.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

I am doing the Stanley/Faros scenario and I have honestly no idea what this war mini game is about and it is tearing me aparttttt

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Bitch Twinkles posted:

I am doing the Stanley/Faros scenario and I have honestly no idea what this war mini game is about and it is tearing me aparttttt

The strategy minigame is a bit of a mess. I think you're meant to pick the opposite of what they do; so, if they do something offensive, you pick a defensive option. I dunno, man. Good Luck.

MonsieurChoc posted:

SaGa Scarlet Grace Ambitions is out!

has anyone made a thread yet? because I've been playing the poo poo out of it and have some (extremely positive) thoughts

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

The strategy minigame is a bit of a mess. I think you're meant to pick the opposite of what they do; so, if they do something offensive, you pick a defensive option. I dunno, man. Good Luck.

Yeah, I was trying for a morale tug of war but sometimes I got bopped anyways. I ended up winning up I still don’t quite get it lol. Ambitions seems p. good as well, been going blind as Taria and setting off volcanoes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

has anyone made a thread yet? because I've been playing the poo poo out of it and have some (extremely positive) thoughts

This thread exactly blowing up so it could be edited to be a general SaGa thread?

Anyway I'm in Urpina's Chapter 2 and stuck in Rumor Province. So many rumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

This thread exactly blowing up so it could be edited to be a general SaGa thread?

Anyway I'm in Urpina's Chapter 2 and stuck in Rumor Province. So many rumors.

Rumorland is easily the biggest rats nest of event triggers in the entire game as far as I've seen, outside of the place where you're trying to fill in glyphs by doing stuff (which you can't always finish, unless you generate the right "main" events for your playthrough at the right times). In Urpina's campaign I'm pretty sure you can just call that region a wash and go somewhere else, and you'll be permitted to move on without consequence; alternately, just blindly believing every rumor you hear from a single town should lead you to a positive conclusion eventually, assuming you're still in Ch.2 (Ch.3 is a very different story, especially if you were there for an event in Ch.2- like I said, rats nest!!!)

all I've been doing with my spare time for like the past week is playing this game and machine translating weird japanese wikis and poo poo, ask me anything