Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Valve managed to pull off an impressive feat, a game I'm both curious about and disinterested in. Curious because, well, Half-Life, but disinterested because I'll probably never get the VR system necessary for it and watching a video of someone else's VR experience has never really grabbed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

its a wankproject and i'll literally eat my butt when it's a game

Now that I'll pay good money for

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Palpek posted:

drat guys, imagine this but in full-fledged high-end VR:

I will buy it + whatever extra equipment is required day one, if it's this plus the Mario 64 face stretching mechanics in VR

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

lmao masterful troll by Valve

:gaben:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That actually does look pretty rad. Weirdly it convinces me that continuing on from the HL series would be more doable than I thought, it looks a lot closer to HL2 than I would've guessed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

set between HL 1 and 2

I just mean in style and design, I just figured a continuation more than a decade on would look and feel a lot more different than that, but it works.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This is pretty cool, if I ever *do* get into VR it'll be as an extension of couch gaming. I don't have room (or motivation, really) do have a bigger open space for movement, and I hadn't done enough research to know if that was a requirement or not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stop undermining my defenses against spending a bunch of money on VR, Valve :arghfist:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nosfereefer posted:

freeman opened a portal and space aliens invaded earth? good times

An accurate summation

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mordja posted:

None of this would have happened if Black Mesa had been OSHA compliant.

One of my favorite deaths of all was booting up the Black Mesa revamp for the first time and falling to my death through a hole in the elevator floor on my way in to work. Thanks for your sacrifice Gordon :patriot:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I hope that Alyx is still just a nonstop chatterbox but Gordon pantomimes everything and never says a word, assuming he shows up later on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Every time he shows up, he's just jumping everywhere, swinging his crowbar, trying to clip physics props into the wall

You have to wait a randomly chosen amount of time while his AI attempts to stack crates in the right combination to open a door for you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

floating hands

That did jump out, but I wasn't really sure how "serious" VR games handle that. My mind jumped to the goofier ones I've seen on youtube where part of the fun is snaking your hands and arms into ridiculously unrealistic positions as the game tries to cope, so all of a sudden disembodied hands seemed maybe not that bad.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ErrEff posted:

I think devs have generally settled on on disembodied hands because arms tend to glitch out, it's hard to anticipate how the joints behave. Supergreatfriend recently did a playthrough of Here They Lie that has full-body stuff: Hands, arms, shoulders, feet... even your own reflection in a mirror. Fairly impressive for a VR game from several years back.

Thanks, that was pretty interesting to see. It's more interesting than expected, especially from a few years back, but it also has some of the wonkiness I figured Valve might be trying to avoid.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1198677679714816005
:hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I got the chance to play around with a mixed reality headset for a bit and it was neat. I could see a (presumably) well-designed game like HL being pretty wild, and I'm more intrigued by the whole VR concept now, especially if more games along those lines come out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What if: you must put it in the trashcan, but the trash will only fit in one three-dimensional orientation under a strict time limit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about Blue Shift though.

The problem was, nobody wants to play a character named Barney no matter *how* cool they are. Classic game dev mistake

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just roleplayed it as beloved law enforcer Barney Fife, complete with the exasperated cries when new alien life was encountered.

“W-w-what is THIS? THIS wasn’t in m-m-my job description, for Pete’s sake!”

:lol:

Solid One Free Bullet opportunity too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sorta wishing they'd gotten around to this in the heyday of gimmick controllers so there was more chance we could get a full size motion control crowbar

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alyx-total-conversion.rawwwr :pervert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean if HL:A just turns out to be Sawblade Hurling Simulator 3D, I'm on board

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alyx invented the gravity gun to let other people get on her level

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It has a level of Source beyond anything we have previously seen. Our scientists call it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

stev posted:

Nothing mind blowing but a rare sight from Volvo.

These product tie-ins are getting insane!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Going through Black Mesa for the first time in years...the base obviously an old game but I'm pleased to see that it still generally plays well. I forgot about those drat crouch jumps, though. They're doable but they never really feel right, and I always end up dying a bunch just because they're a bit finicky. I know it'd be sacrilege but I wish they'd modified the levels a bit so you don't have to use them over death pits and such.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Isn’t there an option in options to enable auto-crouch jumping? Does it help?

I never thought to look, I'll check when I get back to it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just another video entirely spent looking into an in-game mirror while contorting unrealistically

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, it's not as weird as I thought, it was mashed together with memories of long-jumping + the slight jankiness of the old movement system. I think I was just screwing up some of the longest jumps and assuming I'd missed something rather than just not being used to the movement.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cool...that gives me a month to figure out if I can get my headset and laptop working together again, which they were after setting them up last weekend and then weren't when I tried them again this week.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OK, it only took 2 1/2 days but I think my headset's working again. As far as I can tell, installing a new NVIDIA driver specifically after SteamVR nagging me about it every. single. time.) borked things so hard I had to redo my Windows installation and reinstall all the software and such. loving technology, I feel like VR adds about two more levels of shakiness where things can just randomly fall apart, on top of the usual Windows gripes. Hopefully HL:A even works :\

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

henpod posted:

One thing I don't get yet, is how people will move in the VR half life. Obviously you won't have a treadmill, so how would you walk down a corridoor or whatever?

Pushing the left thumbstick forward while sitting on a couch like God intended :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

how has this not been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLotwKpLgk

the rayman hands remind of turning up my fov real high for tf2 but otherwise looks fairly cool

That is really cool. Somehow most of the VR wonkiness looks like it works well in a serious setting.

Except for the teleport movement, I don't think I'll ever like that and I'm glad it's not the only option.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

You're definitely getting headcrab gooch directly to the face.

Pro-tier opportunity for anyone who bought a stuffed headcrab at some point over the last 15 years and has just been waiting for a good reason to throw it at their friends

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Teleporting is also one of those gaming things that's a lot easier to keep up with in person rather than watching a video. I can handle it in game (even if I don't prefer it) but I don't know how anyone is supposed to watch more than a minute or two of it secondhand.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bardeh posted:

The first VR game I ever played was Boneworks and hoo boy that was a trial by fire. I drat near fell over the first time I started walking ingame, it's an extremely weird sensation before you get used to it. Luckily I'm not prone to motion sickness so once I got used to it I could play just fine.

I must be in the lucky minority to basically not feel anything weird like that, figuring out I could enable walking was an instant relief. The only real disorienting feeling I've had was getting used to how the walls look when you walk straight up to them closer than you would in real life, which was more of a weird side issue.
I guessed it was related to being effectively immune to motion sickness IRL and my job having lots of chances to push the limits of that, but who knows.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Strongly disagree. IMO, innovation is exactly what VR games need because nobody yet has any loving idea how to make VR games.
My biggest personal pet peeve is that I can count the amount of VR games where locomotion feels natural and doesn't clash with the action on the fingers of one hand.

That's pretty much what I'd expect Valve to get right, though, a highly tuned, well thought-out VR experience. Unless you're posting from the future and have discovered it's actually garbage or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Wonder if the game will end with Alyx finding Gordon near the beginning of HL2.

:munch:

Comedy cut to credits just as he looks over and opens his mouth to say hello

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

stev posted:

Thought I'd boot up Black Mesa 1.0 and holy gently caress Gordon Freeman is meant to be 27? I feel like a failure.

The upside is that neither of us likely has the level of responsibility to usher in an apocalyptic dimensional invasion if things go wrong at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mentioned it in the general VR thread but I'm finally up and running on a newer machine that should run HL:A just fine :toot:
Now I need to figure out how to actually do stuff in the SteamVR home interface so I can look at the environment stuff they've released, all I can figure out for setting a private room is to use the default setting.