Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't believe we're getting a VR remaster of Hunt Down the Freeman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was that Rhys Darby?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

eric ciaramella posted:

was that Tony Todd in the trailer? goty

Tony Todd has been voicing the Vortigaunts from Episode 2 onwards.

My main concern with VR games is that they look like they're very scripted since I imagine accounting for player movement with a VR setup is monumentally more difficult than a standard FPS setup. So it might feel more like an on rails shooter, which I wouldn't really care for. Half Life has lots of scripted events in all the games but they're used to encourage freeform gameplay in combat arenas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Merle Dandridge still doing the voice? Some bits in the trailer sounded like her but others I'm not so sure about

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So nope, Merle Dandridge isn't voicing Alyx anymore. Valve News Network did an interview with her and she wasn't doing the voice for Half Life: Alyx

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm interested in how the game is going to sound, since Half Life 2 had some amazing sound effects and enemy chatter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like I was acting above I attribute this to the incredible sound design in HL2. The SMG might be weak but it's the best sounding SMG ever. The shotty is god-like and the crossbow has a satisfying thunk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Opp Force and Blue Shift are Gearbox Software titles anyways.

Is there a mod for Black Mesa to replace the music with the original Half Life music? I appreciate the huge effort that went into Black Mesa but the music always sounded like it came from a fanmade project. It's too "epic" and "emotional" in the way that a lot of more amateur composers like to indulge when they're writing music. Half Life needs to have weird electronic blips and beeps punctuated by marching beats and the occasional nuclear mission jam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My concern is the speed of combat, considering how fast and frantic HL1 and 2 combat got to be. I really hope that they show off some of the free movement rather than the teleport or snap-to movement because I want to see just how much mobility you actually have. If it ends up being a limited path like a rail shooter that's a letdown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering Japan's track record in the 20th century a 21 year old veteran is depressingly realistic.

As for Freeman it's really not out of line with the games tone of the heroic action scientist from alien invasion b movies

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 7, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I prefer the Freeman's Mind explanation where he's actually a severe drug abuser who went more than a little crazy during the Black Mesa incident and is convinced he's working for the CIA.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, uh, that ending.

Okay then, did not see that coming but I am hella intrigued.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Between Alyx and Doom Eternal I wonder if there's a suppression field out there specifically targeting goons to make them rant about writing quality I'm video games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Kelly Bailey still do the soundtrack?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sigher posted:

Yup, and it's exactly what you'd expect from Half-Life.

So weird as hell industrial electronic crossed with occasional guitar wailing and horror ambience?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question regarding the tone of the game. How much damage does Alyx cause? I was under the impression that there hadn't been any major armed conflicts with the Combine since the seven hour war, which is part of the reason that Freeman returning in Half Life 2 caused so much chaos. Would the fact that the game takes place inside a quarantine zone lend itself to the Combine covering up any mass havoc Alyx causes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if the thirteen year development time wasn't enough warning time to book Meryl Dandridge for a voice acting session.

I mean the development time already killed two other main character VAs.

I'm worried that Barney and Kleiner's man will croak before Half Life 3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a mod to play Black Mesa with the Kelly Bailey soundtrack? That's kind of my dealbreaker. When I played the original Black Mesa mod the music really pulled me out of it and reminded me it was a fan project

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've bee playing older FPS games and I got to Half Life 1. Holy poo poo, when you play something like Quake or Jedi Knight back to back with Half Life it is downright shocking how big a leap Half Life is in presentation and level design. Not necessarily better level design, but does it ever nail the impression of a real world place better than anything that came before it. Jedi Knight has some insanely creative levels, especially Mysteries of the Sith, but Half Life's commitment to its impression of realism is still impressive to this day.

It actually makes me surprised then that Half Life 2 tended to do the same thing in 2004. It's another massive leap forward in terms of "realistic" level design that lays the foundation for every realist shooter that's followed. Even after Half Life 1's impact, you still had lots of FPS titles with esoteric level designs. Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy even made fun of how batshit insane their level designs were. Halo stuck a middle ground between semi realistic environments and weird alien world stuff. But then you get Half Life 2 and it goes even further with the realism approach.

They're both trendsetters, to be sure. Having come off a Doom Eternal bender and my dip back into retro FPS titles, hitting up Half Life really makes you appreciate how different the series was from what came before and from a lot of what came after.

Also playing Quake and Half Life so close to each other it's strange seeing proto Half Life DNA in Quake.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 10, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's important to look at these games in context with one another. Its been a running theme as long as Half Life exists that someone new plays it after hearing the hype and when they actually sit down to play it they're left cold. You have to compare the games to their contemporaries to see just how different they were from other games at the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished my Half Life 2 replay and now I'm onto the Portal games. Portal 1 has a neat vibe to it and Portal 2 probably the best writing Valve has ever done along with some spectacular setpiece puzzles. JK Simmons still makes me laugh.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 16, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bumping this thread from 10 months ago to say that there is still code from Quake in Half Life Alyx

https://kotaku.com/ancient-90s-code-from-quake-still-controls-lights-in-h-1847105972

Quake DNA is all over the place but it is really cook to trace it back from the source through every iteration of GoldSource and Source 1/2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone here remember that Escape from City 17 fanfilm? Just got thinking about it for the first time in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4g6i9o7vTI

For a budget of $500 and breaking into the trainyards to do the shots it holds up surprisingly well. I remember not caring as much for the second fanfilm they did. It went a bit too far into the "drama" side of things. Half Life 1 and 2 have got a very specific balance of tone between horror, mad science, comedy and other modes so of you go too far in any one direction it can end up overturning the whole thing. That was my main turn off to Black Mesa when I first played it because it felt like it was going too far into the sadface and horror elements and it lacked Kelly Bailey's incredible soundtrack.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 16, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we're talking cool HL2 mods I'm really interested in the freerunner mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBPy5K6V8I

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was I mishearing things or was SMOD updated to work alongside MMod? SMOD was always amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Unit24 posted:

Honest question, what exactly does MMod do that makes it the "default" way to play HL2? From what I've seen, the main changes are bullet travel time, punchier weapon feedback, and some imo questionable aesthetic changes.

Better weapon feedback and handling, a few extra weapons like the stun baton and detachable turrets, more aggressive enemy AI that can use secondary fire on their guns and Episode 2's flashlight change backported to HL2 and Ep1 are the only changes you really need. The whole thing is extremely modular so you can turn off the visual changes at will.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thankfully the episode 3 rough draft got tossed out the window with the way Alyx ended.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe if G-Man's clients didn't have a "no friendly fire" stipulation in the contract then Gordon would have more freedom, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did that mod that was supposed to link all the Half Life 2 maps together without loading screens ever get finished?