Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've been on quite the Half-Life kick lately. The 25th anniversary updated prompted me to do a replay in bite-sized chunks. I don't know if this is supposed to be the case but it was like the movement physics were extremely screwed up, with Gordon moving like a rocket and sliding all over the place, especially after jumps. Then by Surface Tension I realized I made the grave mistake of playing on Hard mode, which absolutely sucks, so I stopped.

Then I played through Delta Particles, a pretty good mod that managed to nail the Half-Life feel most of the time. . . and then you hit Xen, where enemies constantly teleport in like it's a bad Doom WAD along with the bad platforming. Such is the nature of Xen, I guess.

So THEN, this past Saturday I see Half-Life 1 MMod on the Steam store page. I completely forgot that was a thing, so I downloaded it. It's fantastic. The gunplay has been improved from "servicable" to "really good", and I haven't gotten the experimental weapons yet. I previously played through Half-Life 2 MMod, so I'm not totally surprised, but it's still great to see this kind of improvement in original Half-Life.

So now I find out about Half-Life Echoes from reading through the thread, and I have my eye on Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar Redux, which is supposed to be like a remix of the game with gameplay improvements? If anybody has experience with that let me know.

Half-Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm content to make the MMod playthrough of Half-Life my last ever. Xen is a pain, and Nihalanth is such a terrible end boss. I can't be bothered to finish it. It's going to be a little while before I get back to anything HL-related.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

sockpuppetclock posted:

watching mmod gameplay to see whats up and i'm baffled at how every single tiny movement of the gun animations makes the view wobble with it. i hate it, this is just a youtube MW2 (2022) ALL GUN RELOAD ANIMATIONS montage turned into a hl2 mod, it has the same distasteful scent.

I didn't think it was that noticeable from the time I played it. Half-Life does puzzles really well, and shooting. . . bare minimum adequate? The MMods fix that a lot. I had a lot more fun with my HL2 MMod run, and I probably should do one for the Episodes at some point.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm trying to play Echoes, but for some reason after extracting the files to the Half-Life folder where they're supposed to be it's not showing up in my Steam library like it should.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Half-Life: Echoes has been really polished so far. I'm up to part 7 and, apart from some awkward sections, I'm enjoying it a lot. It's a hell of a lot darker than the fairly frequently brightly lit areas of Black Mesa and my flashlight barely helps in most areas.

I also downloaded Minerva for later, after I take care of the Half-Life 2 episodes with MMod.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Half-Life: Echoes: 7/10, good but not as great as I was lead to believe. It had a lot of awkward sections, and the protracted combat sequence at the end really showcased the flaws with Half-Life's gunplay. Also trying to shoehorn Episode 3 details into there, while having you play as a nameless schmoe with no real reason to be there. Seriously, what was the point? At least in Delta Particles you were supposed to be an established security personnel.

Next up for me: Episode 1 MMod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

...Okay?

What am I supposed to be getting from that?

Hmmm. . . Half-Life orange, Blue Shift blue, Opposing Force green. . . no idea what the purple might represent. I know that some team was trying to give the Black Mesa treatment to the expansions. Honestly not a lot to go on right now.