Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Anyone who has been keeping an eye on Valve knows they've been putting in tons of research effort into VR for a long time now and the Half-Life series has always been their 'tadaaaa' when they've built something good and want to show other game developers how it's done. For a while now I've been saying that we won't see the next Half-Life until Valve feels their VR tech is ready so this just might be it.

Also lol:
https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1196583837616074753?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That's not hl3 tho

They’re calling it their flagship game in the tweet. It’s pretty clear that it’s going to be more than a super-hot scale tech demo. What’s in a name?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Also I’m pretty skeptical that they’ve still got their chops because last I heard almost all their competent game makers have left a long time ago. I don’t think this will be Duke Nukem Forever all over again but that’s also not a high bar to clear

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

What's gorilla arm? Also I have an Oculus Quest and everyone who's tried it loved it without many issues. The people who've straight up never played video games before seemed to enjoy it the most. It's definitely here to stay

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TheFluff posted:

I have never tried VR at all. There are no VR games that really interest me and there are many other dumb electronic toys that rank higher than a VR headset in my nerd budget.

This sort of cult-ish posting where any questioning of the technology gets taken as a personal attack against users who have bought into it doesn't exactly sell me on VR either. Note that I have not actually said that VR is unenjoyable or that it's unworkable in general or anything like that - it seems amazing for flight sims and the like, just to mention one thing.

like honestly it really weirds me out how evangelizing people get about it and that there is no way you cannot do anything other than love it if you try it

I was extremely skeptical of VR as well until I tried my friend's Oculus headset a few years ago. It really is incredible how immersive it makes things and how well it works. Sucks about the motion sickness some people get

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Donnerberg posted:

Pretty much, but a traditional Half-Life sequel would still have been dicey. The expectation is so insanely out of proportion that another Half-Life is like making a new Star Wars movie. Someone was always going to be upset. What would it even have looked like? Just more HL2, or a full departure from corridor shooter to open world or some multiplayer thing? I assume the reason there hasn't been one in 15 years is that Valve didn't have a good answer to that question either.

I remember way back in the day Yahtzee's main criticism of Episode 2 being, 'Yeah this is all great and incredibly well made but.... where are you guys going with this? This is starting to get a bit repetitive.' and I feel like that's exactly what Valve thought about it internally as well. They haven't wanted to work on a new Half-Life unless it was something that they could actually trailblaze with.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TheFluff posted:

:cripes:

The selling point of the Quest is that it is a standalone console:

It has been sold as such for months. It has had the PCVR headset capability for a week. As a $400 0th generation console, it is a bad buy. As a PCVR headset, well, right now, it's so beta that the audio doesn't work and in your own words:

You can argue that it's a good enough PCVR headset and that if you buy it for that the console parts make it worth the tradeoff vs the Rift S, but the entire selling point that both you and KakerMix has been dragging up repeatedly is that it's totally a standalone thing that doesn't need a PC. Which is technically true, but I maintain that buying it as a console is a terrible idea.

I've had a Quest for months and you may want to sit down for this: it's good

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KakerMix posted:

I'm going to play Half-Life VR and nobody can stop me
                                                      /

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've seen this excuse before, that Valve only does a Half-Life game if there's new tech to show off, and it's bullshit and a cop-out. Valve didn't make a new Half-Life game because their internal structure sucks and has no clear leadership. Full stop. No other reason. They would have made one years ago if not for that.

So it's just a coincidence that their internal structure and leadership got their act together when their VR tech was ready to make a new game?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Gnome de plume posted:

What, the critically acclaimed official Steam storefront releases Prospekt and Hunt Down The Freeman that were sold for actual money dollars didn't scratch that itch?

Black Mesa and Minerva were p. good tho

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TheNamedSavior posted:

My opinion:

Valve had two options:

Make Alyx mainly VR but announce and release a port/version of it that isn't VR only, so that people who aren't super-rich or just don't like VR can enjoy another trip into Half-Life's world, and people who are into VR can enjoy a game that serves as a killer app for the very controversial technology making everyone get into arguments.

OR Make Alyx only VR and piss off literally the mass majority of people who were annoyed by the silent death of Episode 3 by making them doubt that valve actually is doing this to make another game but merely to create a cash cow, while also causing literally tons of dumb flame wars in literally every single thread or blog post or news or whatever about the game about the EXACT same arguments regarding VR that everyone always makes, and ultimately have yet ANOTHER large controversy that would've killed the company if not for the large amount of money they make literally every second from steam and poo poo, and the circle continues, forever.

lol imagine being this entitled

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Well that looks loving awesome

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

quote:

Slated for release on Steam in March 2020, the title will be compatible with all PC-based VR headsets in March 2020.

Wondering if this will include my linked Quest headset

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That does indeed look very good. And it is a full-length game, huh, lol.

I will never play it. I wish I could.

The Quest is a good headset and your most affordable option. Join us

Rookersh posted:

How's the Quest, stuck between it and Index I guess. I really can't mount anything in my apartment due to my lease, so unless the base stations work 3-4 feet off the ground, I might end up with the Quest just due to that. Is the link that makes it work with Steam games just plugging a HDMI cable into it from my PC?

The tracking works great and I haven't had any issues with it. You link up to your PC with a USB-C cable, not HDMI

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TheNamedSavior posted:

I'm sorry I don't have tons of money to throw around for the low low price of 300$+ VR.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

track day bro! posted:

So is this going to be set during the 2 hour war or whatever it was called. I'm sure my pc should be capable of playing this, but it's gonna have to be amazing to make me want to buy a headset for it.

i did see there has been some work to getting VR work wirelessly with it's own sort of wireless network but it's even more additional cost on top.

Nah this is pretty clearly after the 7 hour war and fully into the occupation period.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

track day bro! posted:

It's been a while since I've played any of the games, did they ever go into what happened in the 7 hour war? I mean apart from the combine just came in, hosed earth up and said it's illegal to gently caress.

there used to be a site that was dedicated to laying out the story from all the collected info across the games but it seems like it's disappeared sometime over the past decade

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ruflux posted:

Series writer Marc Laidlaw confirmed it wasn't a 100% accurate, but not bad overall. I could swear I recently came across it and it was still available but I can't find it right now.

e: I found it! It's dead! Oh well!

Combine Overwiki is a pretty good resource on Half-Life (and to some extent, Portal) stuff including the Seven Hour War, even if its semi-speculative in nature at times. Mostly they stick to what can actually be sourced with the games or supplementary material but some of the articles are kind of old and haven't been rewritten the remove all the cruft and rumors and headcanon.

Can you link it? We can probably grab it out of archive.org. This wiki's timeline is mostly lolwacky portal stuff

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah I'm really digging the new affect for when the headcrabs warp in

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

When I used my friend's Oculus for the first time years ago I was blown away by Rec Room and how immersive it was to see people's primitive avatars actually interacting with each other. The moment it really struck me was when I was playing tennis or racquetball or whatever and seeing my friend doing a little dance when he scored throwing a :boom: at me. It doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference until you experience it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Black August posted:

Imagine Steel Battalion, but the massive expensive controller is just there virtually for you.

If a good developer makes a VR Mechwarrior I don’t think I’d play anything else ever

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I had no idea that not only was this project was still in development all this time- they're actually finishing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAIJich73NY

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol and here I was under the assumption that the game was basically complete because of how aggressive their release date was. Oh Valve :allears:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Just finished Black Mesa. Xen was loving incredible.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah the second half of Interloper was way too long but I thought the rest of it was excellent.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

sigher posted:

Wasn't that SMOD?

Yes and iirc Gordon’s kick would sometimes gib enemies

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

track day bro! posted:

Why is nobody talking about Blackmesa now Xen has been finished. I started a playthrough of BM around christmastime, the last time I'd played it was when it was still a free mod and a bit janky.

I still hate blast pit and the god drat loving invisible ninjas but apart from that I've enjoyed the hell out of it. Xen is brilliant and it feels almost like another game, I even enjoyed fighting the gigantic nutsack this time round. Haven't got to the end yet but I can't believe how good they managed to make it.

lol scroll up

and yeah xen was phenomenal and worth the wait as they clearly put a ton of effort into it. the nihilanth fight will not disappoint you

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

track day bro! posted:

Only thing I miss from the original HL are the gun sounds, I dunno why but they all sound so satisfying. Like reloading the MP5 and the double barrel shot for the shotgun. Then you come to the HL2 gun sounds which are all ehhh apart from the pulse rifle thingy.

It's really odd because the sound design for everything else in the game is top notch as well. It's only the guns that feel limp

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

It says that level doesn't exist. I cheated to the last level that does exist and beat it, jumping through the portal to Xen. Then the credits rolled, game over.

edit: I wasn't opted into the "public beta." I'm dumb. Xen is 10 gigs? LOL.

Once you see it you’ll understand why it’s that big

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

track day bro! posted:

After playing a bit more at an incredible snails pace, the only gripe I have with Xen is the factory part in interloper? It starts off with some cool stuff and at first it's enjoyable especially with the sections where you get unlimited gauss gun. But it goes on waaaaaay to long at this point where you are sort of climbing up the factory. Theres a point where you have three doors and you have to essentially do the same thing 3 times to progress and it made me think why the hell didn't they just do this once instead of having 3 slightly different variations of a puzzle.

Everything apart from that has been cool, pretty sure I'm close to the end now maybe I'll try and finish it tonight.

Yup that’s the only part where I was thinking, ‘guys.... come on’ as well. The elevator sequence after it got pretty tiring as well.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

Been enjoying the hell out of Black Mesa, forgot how well done it is. I’m looking forward to the new Xen stuff even though you guys say it’s a slog. Gonna fire up HL2, ep1, and ep2 when I’m done, can’t wait for Alyx.

it’s a slog in the same way that some people say dark souls is hard. it’s a throwback to how games used to be so it may feel wrong. the interloper level was the only one that started to fatigue me but you always feel like you’re making progress

the nihilanth then shows up to knock it out of the fuckin park

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

sigher posted:

same with the whole let's run away from 20 Gargs via jumping that they did to death.

I really liked this part. Different strokes I guess.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

So when are we getting the Quest link cable? I'm not gonna be able to play this until that finally ships

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Lemming posted:

It's already out, you can either get the $80 official one or a cheaper generic USB 3 a to c cable

Ah. Their site is saying it’s unavailable in my country- which is the US. This may be due to the virus :/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

We're not at the stage with VR where we need more innovation. We're at the stage where we need more AAA titles

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Strongly disagree. IMO, innovation is exactly what VR games need because nobody yet has any loving idea how to make VR games.
My biggest personal pet peeve is that I can count the amount of VR games where locomotion feels natural and doesn't clash with the action on the fingers of one hand.

This is literally what every Half-Life game has been so far and looks like what Alyx will be

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Again- the innovation is in the SDK they're publishing along with an example game showing developers how it's done. This is how Half-Life has always been

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

So what’s the price and parts for an above average fairly future proof machine for this? If this isn’t the right place I’ll ask elsewhere. Are all in one pc’s that aren’t covered up in cords a thing that allows for installing the necessary video card?

Get to the PC building thread in SH/SC

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

boundaries of logical consumerism"

What does this even mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

What. Everybody did the same, r-right?

lol i spent a good ten minutes doodling here until i realized, 'oh yeah... the rest of the game'