Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR is really good and cool and owns and it’s not 2015 anymore and you don’t need a crazy expensive computer to run it.

Alyx is honestly the highest system requirement I’ve seen yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you already have a VR capable PC, hunt around on FB marketplace or craigslist. WMR headsets go for $100 on the regular. Rifts and Vives get there too but are more often $150.

The game doesn’t require an Index

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The beat saber videos like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ymv2vsrQP4

Are only to bring full body tracking into the streamed video, so the avatar can dance properly, otherwise the feet just sort of float around while the arms and head move. The game itself has no idea about the feet or what to do with them.

I believe the only game made with foot tracking in mind is VRChat. The streaming software LIV can use foot tracking to insert an avatar in 3rd person into a stream of pretty much most VR games (like the vid above), but the feet are available to and used only by LIV

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I went to one of those VR rental places a couple years ago and that's exactly what they had, a whole overhead pulley system. It was ridiculously expensive for a tiny amount of time and the cables came off the pulley and we had to wait for them to fix it and they didn't give us any extra time. Because of this I'm foreverally against VR. Fully bound in VR cables, foreverally wrapped in cables with only pulley feet and pulley tongue sticking out. Fully permanent pulleyization, wrapped and bound in tangled cables and loving it.

I feel you man, I play video games, which requires that your entire house be set up like a Dave and Busters. It’s a pain in the rear end for sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A really thorough breakdown of the stuff in the Alyx trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNL_-kK-ADQ

I missed quite a bit, turns out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pylons posted:

Sense of scale is what VR does really well. Even Skyrim VR (which is a fairly bad port) gets kind of wild when you fight a dragon that's actually much larger than you are.

Weirdly, the most “holy poo poo this thing/world/whatever is huge” experience I’ve had was in Minecraft VR. It does a sense of scale really well and the amount of sheer cliffs and steep hills gives you that feeling frequently.

Ultrawings is also good for this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rage-saq posted:

You bought and index or index controllers

Or you own a Mac and bought a steam controller

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Of course just when I get to xen in my OG HL:S playthrough this comes out.

I’m not sure I can replay the whole thing this soon

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motherfucker posted:

theres basically zero percent chance this will be better than boneworks

Lol. The wrongest opinion. They are different games for starters

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VNN released like 5 ten minute videos a week on HL3 leaks when there was no news to report forever.

At this point VNN kind of HAS to be right about a lot of stuff because they’ve been speculating for a decade.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is a half life game. A real half life game from Valve. Someone will find a way to make it 2D.

It’s too hyped to not happen

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KakerMix posted:

And they will be very dissapointed in what they get. Fumbling with trying to reload your weapon when under fire is fun and good, pressing 'R' on the keyboard is much less fun.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm pretty sure if you managed to port it to flatscreen it would just end up a rather dull run of the mill shooter. It would be like porting Wii Sports to use a gamepad. Bowling gets a lot less entertaining when you're just pressing a button.

rage-saq posted:

LOL at porting HL:A to 2d. It would completely ruin the game as well as taking an eternity.

I didn’t say it would be GOOD, I just said it would happen. Like lots of 2D->VR games, sometimes they just don’t translate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sigher posted:

What's the cinematic mod?

Basically horny-Alyx-total-conversion.rar

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m pissed because I literally a week ago finished half life source. Now black Mesa is done :ssj:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New Garrys Mod looking very realistic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao nobody wants anything to do with source now when unity and unreal are waaaaaay better

This is Source2 though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Walrus posted:

same only I'm doing blue shift and op force also for the first time

Literally the same exact situation. Never played either before. Next stop HL2.

Half life play throughs every couple years are like gaming comfort food.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

henpod posted:

One thing I don't get yet, is how people will move in the VR half life. Obviously you won't have a treadmill, so how would you walk down a corridoor or whatever?

This is already very solved in every VR FPS. The primary ways are:

1) Teleport - you push your stick forward and a portal pops out in front of you. You aim it where you want to be and when you release the stick, you appear there. Very good for those who get sick in VR.

2) Smooth Movement - You push the stick in the direction you want to go. Exactly like you would in a 2D FPS. It’s more realistic feeling, but it can make some people sick. There are ways around that like vignetting the screen that help with motion sickness

3) - Less common things like armswinger mode, where you swing your arms like you are walking, and the game translates those motions to movement. You turn in real life to turn in the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao if you didn't grab every boneworks enemy by the face and kill them by smashing your gun into it while standing like a real man/woman

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat is slowed down by necessity.

If you’ve played a game like Boneworks you know that it has to go slower because you can make mistakes that you never could in HL2.

In VR, you can mess up reloading your weapon, drop your clip, drop your gun, forget to cock it, etc. That never happens in HL2, your reloads are perfect every time and they take a split second.

Switching weapons in HL2 is also a nearly instantaneous thing, whereas in VR you generally have to put your current weapon away or drop it, and take a new one out of a bag, or off your body somewhere because you are limited by two hands. This takes time, and again, can be messed up by you.

If the game moved like HL2, it would be nearly impossible to survive. I think you’ll find when a zombie is up in your face and you’re fumbling to get a clip in a pistol and cock it, it’s much more exciting than HL2 was despite being slower

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

stev posted:

Ugh it looks really loving good. I hope I can spring for a new PC and headset at least within the next year.

I'm sure it's less weird in-game but the jump-forward to move mechanic was really disorienting. It just sort of pings you from frame to frame without any transition at all. At least in video it looks like I'd spent a couple of seconds working out where I am every time I do it.

I think we need to add to the OP and the thread title that :siren::siren:YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE TELEPORT IF YOU DONT WANT TO:siren::siren:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Half Life: Alyx: I cant belive they're forcing me to play with portals!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rec Room mixes both and it works fine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a big deal though and not at all common.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Based on the gameplay videos the game looks extremely pretty, extremely polished and extremely derivative, without a single innovative idea.

Wrap it up Valve the game sucks, Jack Trades has weighed in

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Feel free to point out the innovative ideas that were shown in the gameplay videos because I've played enough VR games to not be wowed by the "point at a thing and pull the trigger until the thing dies" and "move aside a bunch of trash with your gun to get the thing" mechanics anymore. :shrug:

Well it looks not janky which is a huge innovation after 300 hours of getting my arms stuck on stuff in Boneworks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Much like there is no way to tell from these carefully rehearsed demos if there is no innovation in the game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

You're being mighty defensive about this video game that hasn't even come out yet, especially considering literally nobody has said anything negative about it.
You got a friend working at Valve or something?

I dont and im reasonably sure I'll enjoy the game, but saying there is no innovation in this video game that hasnt even come out yet that literally nobody has said anything negative about is a big stretch

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

This looks really nice and I look forward to a competent streamer to play it for me because I'm not spending 200 bucks for the game + vr headset.

You should tho. VR owns

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same. I spent the evening racing pretend racecars in my VR hat in my driving rig and it was awesome :feelsgood:

Get a VR, you’ll love it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

stev posted:

Thought I'd boot up Black Mesa 1.0 and holy gently caress Gordon Freeman is meant to be 27? I feel like a failure.

Someone make a mod where Gordon can talk but the only thing he says is “ok boomer” to all the scientists and guards.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has there been any mention of multiplayer in HLA? One of the things that both HL1 and HL2 did really well was provide a multiplayer experience that served as a springboard for a lot of great projects.

Hell I still see TF2 in the top sellers list even today

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thoughts on when HLA will unlock? Midnight in everyones respective timezone, or some other time? I've never preordered something on Steam before so I have no idea how it works

e: I guess google knows

quote:

Announced through Twitter, fans can expect the pre-loading to begin this Friday where Half-Life: Alyx will unlock for players to enjoy on March 23, 2020, at 10 AM Pacific Time.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 19, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Epic is not shy about straight up buying games and game devs for their system. Maybe they buy journos too?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m super hype for alyx and also super flummoxed that it seems to be getting overlooked in the gaming press (I guess since it’s VR only and we know how IGN feels about that).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

48gb of new half life, friend!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What........actually is that? garrys mod VR?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All that imitation crab meat isn’t going to eat itself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine being that person who buys HL:A not realizing it requires a VR headset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remember when Boneworks came out and people were all “HLA is dead to me. Nothing can top boneworks”

Mmmm hmmm

I’m here to remind y’all of your shortsightedness. I love Boneworks but come on.