Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Cheers, I'll give them a shout. Apparently everyone's decided to learn banjo in the past 6 weeks (I wonder why), Hobgoblin, Eagle Music and everywhere else I checked are completely sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I think where nearly all of them are imported from the US there tends to be gaps between shipments at the best of times. Just kind of one of those things.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Sorry to keep being a pain but what's a Classic Special 2?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/banjos/deering-goodtime-classic-special-2-banjo-w-extra-..-all-worth-%C2%A3969/1370459935

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I'm pretty sure the Classic is the predecessor to the Artisan, which is basically a Goodtime but with darker wood stain, a separate fingerboard and some inlay. It won't sound or play any different to a regular Goodtime.

The '2' just means it has a resonator.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Question time. I play fingerstyle acoustic guitar and leave my nails on the right hand long enough to give a little "zing" to the sound. Trying to work out right hand anchoring on the banjo. First I placed my ring and pinky in a position where the nail wouldn't scratch the skin but that felt uncomfortable. Tried trimming the nail a bit shorter on the ring finger and that let me curl the fingers a bit more. But I really use that nail on guitar so not sure that's going to work out. If I don't think about it I just naturally anchor a slightly curled pinky and it seems fine. Maybe just do that and not worry about it?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
One of the things I struggle with as a banjo player is anchoring the ring finger as well as the pinky. It definitely helps to anchor the two fingers one is able, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if only the pinky is anchored. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but at some point maybe trim the nail and try.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've entirely failed to anchor my fingers at all so far, I worry I'm baking in bad habits but my forearm seem to keep my hand steady enough resting on the rim. I would like years of play to rub in a gleaming polish to that space just under the strings though :(

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Wait are you meant to anchor fingers on the banjo? Lmao rip me, I've been working on undoing that habit on the mandolin for like 2 years

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
For Scruggs style, yes. You're helping provide stability and energy focus for the 3 active fingers. For plectrum and clawhammer, no. I've seen acoustic guitar flatpickers anchor a pinky, but I don't think it's common.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

It’s perfectly fine if you only anchor the pinky. That’s exactly what I do because it’s most comfortable.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I can anchor fingers just fine, did it for years playing electric guitar, I'm just lmaoing that I've decided to learn a style that requires a technique I'm actively trying to unlearn for the mandolin.

I did go ahead and buy a Deering Classic Goodtime 2 off of Reverb, hoping it gets here this week.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Thought this might be of interest- Jamie Francis, plays banjo with Sam Kelly. He plays a 5 string, but like a tenor/mandolin.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7CB2ZPmZ8jv57SjFaRMPrM?si=_V3OMcMuQqqyPRr4ETU3xA

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

Thought this might be of interest- Jamie Francis, plays banjo with Sam Kelly. He plays a 5 string, but like a tenor/mandolin.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7CB2ZPmZ8jv57SjFaRMPrM?si=_V3OMcMuQqqyPRr4ETU3xA

Thanks for this, I really like it. Have added it to the playlist with Pikelny and a bunch of the old timers.

Current mission is to learn the Ballad of Jed Clampett. It has like three new chords oh dear

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Any of you guys play in gCGCC tuning?

Love the sound in this tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CNB5OLUPM0

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
yea. double C but tune the first string down to C so the the 2nd and 1st drone. I think thats called "Lost Indian" tuning. Do a lot of open pull offs on the first to get a real groovy rhythm.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I know it as Darlin Cora tuning. Also I only really use it to play Darlin Cora but it love the tuning.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Yea me too. I learned Darlin Cora (Darlin Cory?) from Mike Seeger. It's one of those tunes where you want a fretless.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Did anybody watch videos by Patrick Costello, from youtube? he wrote "The How and the Tao of Old Time Banjo" and had a semi popular channel maybe 10 years ago, when I was first learning to play. His backstory is awfully hilarious. He's a huge troll and has been banned from all the major banjo discussion boards. There has to be better instructional videos on youtube these days, but I did find him really useful just starting out.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Him or his dad just got called out the other day for for dodgy comments regarding the BLM protests, and I think something homophobic too. He comes across as a right knob.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Doesn't surprise me, it's always something. I think he doesn't understand social rules/cues.
I think my favorite banjo player from back in the old days (2010) was Bosco. He made a post about bakelight banjos and showed his, so I went and got a fancy $90 Harmony off Ebay. It's quiet, and the neck is super thin, but it's been my main player to this day. Calfskin head. I took the resonator off that day I got it. It sounds very warm. I might have to upgrade someday but I prefer cheap acoustic instruments.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 10, 2020

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

My first banjo had a plastic pot. It was set up well so while it sounds a little thin it actually played really well and still sounded good enough. I think I preferred it to the Goodtime I had for a bit.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Vintage banjos just have MOJO that I (personally) wouldn't feel from a Goodtime.
I should post pictures, I have 4 right now. My next will be a Goldtone Cello banjo! What do you own Blacknose?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Hello fellow banjo players. Just to add a couple of resources I don't hear mentioned too often (specifically for clawhammer):

- Tom Collin's Banjo Blitz and Banjo Quest on Youtube is great for intermediate players. He focuses on modern techniques like syncopation which you don't get in many old-time books.

- The Brainjo guy's lessons aren't bad, but I like his TOTW series more (https://clawhammerbanjo.net/clawhammer-tune-of-the-week/) -- learn to sing with your banjo as soon as possible.

- For tabs, I really like http://www.taterjoes.com/Banjo/ -- http://www.banjr.com/tablatures.htm also seems promising but haven't had as much time to go through them.

That being said, I also love the sound of the following songs, does anyone have any recommendations for similar sounding tunes? Not even sure how I'd describe them, Appalachian-y or maybe even blues-y?

Cold Frosty Morning
Clinch Mountain Backstep (http://www.taterjoes.com/Warehouse/Banjo/Am_ClinchMountainBackstep.pdf)
Abe's Retreat (http://www.taterjoes.com/Warehouse/Banjo/A_AbesRetreat.pdf)

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

excellent bird guy posted:

Vintage banjos just have MOJO that I (personally) wouldn't feel from a Goodtime.
I should post pictures, I have 4 right now. My next will be a Goldtone Cello banjo! What do you own Blacknose?

I have a Bart Reiter Buckbee on the left, and a 1920s or 30s Windsor Premier 3 on the right. It has a tunneled 5th and a heavy brass spunover pot, sounds great.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Nice, Bart Reiter is so well regarded. I like those spun over pots too. I like the tailpieces on both. I also like the bridge on the older one, it looks like it's set up and maintained a lot better than my Lyon & Healy with a "german silver' aka spun over nickle pot. I think one steel & one nlyon/nylgut banjo will cover a lot of territory.Is that calfskin? Also the inlays on the older one is really unique

Are those friction pegs i see?
edit: Oh I just noticed, I've never seen a tunneled 5th before. How do you tune it?

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 14, 2020

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I was lucky to be able to go to a Reiter stockist and play pretty much the whole range when I was last in the US. They're all really nice, I think of all of them I liked the bacophone most but not enough to pay twice as much as mine cost. The Buckbee was my close second favourite so no loss.

The bridge on the windsor is a Veerman I had made for it and I think its a calfskin head. Hope it last forever cos I'm vegan so it won't ever be getting another one. I just had it set up by SlimJim Banjos and switched to nylguts instead of la bellas and its playing really well. The tailpiece on it is actually super cool as are the inlays, kinda has a look of its own. It was in a really bad state when I got it but two luthiers later its spot on. Definitely looking all of its century old with a load of old repairs and a very tarnished pot but I like it that way.

A lyon and healy should be a decent banjo. Have you had a luthier check it over?

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Pie Colony posted:

Hello fellow banjo players. Just to add a couple of resources I don't hear mentioned too often (specifically for clawhammer):

- Tom Collin's Banjo Blitz and Banjo Quest on Youtube is great for intermediate players. He focuses on modern techniques like syncopation which you don't get in many old-time books.

I'll vouch for this guy in particular his videos are great. I really wanted to learn clawhammer for a while and just couldnt conceptualize how to do it properly. He has so many videos that break down the minutiae I finally figured it out and have been able to pick it up real quick.

I'll recommend for scruggs style Jim Pankey because his 10 lesson beginner videos got me into playing pretty quickly with a mindset of learning that has helped me pick up whatever else I wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XswGppdJs_c

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Blacknose posted:

I was lucky to be able to go to a Reiter stockist and play pretty much the whole range when I was last in the US. They're all really nice, I think of all of them I liked the bacophone most but not enough to pay twice as much as mine cost. The Buckbee was my close second favourite so no loss.

The bridge on the windsor is a Veerman I had made for it and I think its a calfskin head. Hope it last forever cos I'm vegan so it won't ever be getting another one. I just had it set up by SlimJim Banjos and switched to nylguts instead of la bellas and its playing really well. The tailpiece on it is actually super cool as are the inlays, kinda has a look of its own. It was in a really bad state when I got it but two luthiers later its spot on. Definitely looking all of its century old with a load of old repairs and a very tarnished pot but I like it that way.

A lyon and healy should be a decent banjo. Have you had a luthier check it over?

I can for sure support spending the price for a Reiter because (I think) he hand makes all his instruments. I would totally 100% rather funnel my money to a small business than dish out $1,200 to Gibson. My most expensive banjo I believe was $300, and that was the Lyon and Healy I got off the wall of a fiddle shop, who's owner was doing work on my Supertone. I'll take pictures next time I post.
Tying nylgut is not my favorite activity by any means. I haven't changed my strings in a really long time. What's worse is mounting a calfskin head. You have to soak it in the bathtub all night then go through all this work. I tried for a few days, eventually gave up and had the fiddle shop guy do it.

https://prustbanjos.com/ I've had a wonderful experience with Eric Prust. He made a custom tackhead for a crazy cheap price, it was like $200 shipped. I keep low D strings on it.The Lyon & Healy is an 'orchestra size', so the pot is 13" ! very big. I also keep it in low D or even C. All my instruments have calf skin also, all open back, no tone rings on any of them.

Edit: I notice your 4th is non-wound. That's awesome, the wound 4th always annoyed me. Can't get away from wound on a the bigger gauge D tuned nylguts.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 15, 2020

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I think they're nylgut classic although I may be wrong about that. They feel and sound great, either way.

300 bucks is pretty good going. That's what my Windsor cost although I've spent another 150 or so on it since.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hello thread. I play three finger rolls for my own amusement / meditation but I’ve decided to pick up the book on claw hammer and learn that style too. I have an open back Goodtime I bought off craigslist a couple years ago, it’s wonderful to play. Cheers

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pie Colony posted:

- The Brainjo guy's lessons aren't bad, but I like his TOTW series more (https://clawhammerbanjo.net/clawhammer-tune-of-the-week/) -- learn to sing with your banjo as soon as possible.

- For tabs, I really like http://www.taterjoes.com/Banjo/ -- http://www.banjr.com/tablatures.htm also seems promising but haven't had as much time to go through them.

That being said, I also love the sound of the following songs, does anyone have any recommendations for similar sounding tunes? Not even sure how I'd describe them, Appalachian-y or maybe even blues-y?

Cold Frosty Morning
Clinch Mountain Backstep (http://www.taterjoes.com/Warehouse/Banjo/Am_ClinchMountainBackstep.pdf)
Abe's Retreat (http://www.taterjoes.com/Warehouse/Banjo/A_AbesRetreat.pdf)

These are great pal cheers.

I've been slowly getting ahead playing some tunes off of tabs. Can play decent like reading off the tab but getting the roll instincts by heart is proving a bit trickier. Sharing a pretty small space with the missus during lockdown and even when a cloth tied around the strings it's a bit irritating for her hearing constant plinks so not getting that much ground covered but sticking with it like.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Coohoolin posted:

Sharing a pretty small space with the missus during lockdown and even when a cloth tied around the strings it's a bit irritating for her hearing constant plinks so not getting that much ground covered but sticking with it like.

Is there anything stopping you from using a mute? Makes all the difference in the world - brings the volume way down, changes the tone (softens it as if it were a quiet guitar). "Mikes mute" is what I have. Must-have if you live with someone, serious.

Im about to clamp mine on and play Home Sweet Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO9lhITrUCU

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Eegah! posted:

I'll recommend for scruggs style Jim Pankey because his 10 lesson beginner videos got me into playing pretty quickly with a mindset of learning that has helped me pick up whatever else I wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XswGppdJs_c
Hey, thanks for this. I picked up a banjo recently (after playing guitar for a million years) and these were a great quick intro to the instrument.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Planet X posted:

Is there anything stopping you from using a mute? Makes all the difference in the world - brings the volume way down, changes the tone (softens it as if it were a quiet guitar). "Mikes mute" is what I have. Must-have if you live with someone, serious.

I have a 'Banjo Burger,' I think it's called. That I've never used. When I first got my Supertone, it came with a large sponge between the head and the rod that connects the neck with the end of the rim. It gave it a pluckier sound, I think moreso than a lower volume. It goes without saying a reso will make the sound super loud.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
how good is a Kansas banjo? just saw a dude on my local FB page selling one with upgraded tuners for $200.00. ive only ever had a super cheap rear end banjo from another brand, that was practically unusable

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Generic piece of poo poo. I guess its fine if you want to bluegrass and you have $200.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah it's just a cheapo banjo. It'll be fine if it's set up well but won't be anything special.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
$200 isnt bad though.

Blacknose posted:

Yeah it's just a cheapo banjo. It'll be fine if it's set up well but won't be anything special.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Phrxfyj.jpg][/img]

Hey Blacknose, this is my first banjo. It was about $275. Refurbished 1920s Sears Roebuck "Supertone." I did all kinds of stuff to it, pulled the frets, added the cool mods. It still has the friction tuners.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Hey that's a really nice looking instrument!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
the pot is i think about 10.25, small and punchy. It's very special to me, it's got a character that (I personally) don't feel from a modern instrument.
Oh and those strings have been there for at least 7 years but sound fine !