Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think the Forerunner connection with Humans as a successor has its roots in the Bungie era, but basically here goes.

The Precursors were an extremely ancient race who established (or at least were the first species that we know of) the Mantle of Responsibility, as Carnaticum said. The Forerunners were a powerful spacefaring race who had relations with the Precursors and saw themselves as the inheritors of the Mantle. The Precursors were like "actually we were gonna give the Mantle to those humans over there" and then the Forerunners got pissed and waged war against the Precursors. The Forerunners "won" because the Precursors were like "yeah, we're out of here" and converted themselves into space dust so they could hibernate until things calmed down. One of these Precursors either altered itself or was infected by something on the edge of the Galaxy and lay dormant for a long rear end time.

(Quick content warning: I strongly dislike and mentally disregard the incoherent 343i continuity.)

Based just on the Trilogy and especially the H3 terminals, I always thought the mention of the Precursors was almost a sort of... cute tongue-in-cheek reference, given that the terms "Forerunners" and "Precursors" are synonymous. I read that brief reference to the Mantle of Responsibility as saying that in the same way that humans/Covenant look at the Forerunners as these incredible ancient beings worthy of respect and worship, the Forerunners had the same dynamic with something else who came even earlier. The Forerunners had Forerunners.

My impression was also that they had never met, and it was a self-assigned role - not dissimilar to the Great Journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
The Elites and Prophets also had major pre-Covenant conflict, which the formation of the Covenant put an end to. Given that the Prophets used the deceit of the Great Journey (as well as their understanding of Forerunner technology) to subdue the otherwise equal (or superior) Elites into a subordinate role under the Prophet Hierarchs, it's likely the Prophets still held a grudge or at least were wary of the Elites becoming wise to the whole thing.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

Arcsquad12 posted:

So apparently you can fall off the Ring in Halo Infinite. How tiny is the ring for that to be the case.

This ring is supposed to be much larger than the OG Halos, right? It'd be neat to see some of the infrastructure mentioned in their inspirational and comparatively "hard-sci-fi" Niven Ringworlds, like the seafloor muck being piped to the atmosphere-retaining walls, creating mountains and preventing all the topsoil of the ecosystem from inevitably eroding to the lowest point.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

Shiroc posted:

Ah, that is the case. I hadn't actually bothered to read the cards since I assumed they didn't work yet. I redeemed some icon and an armor finish but it looks like there might only be 1 prize for the 3 3/4 figures and 1 for the 6 inch ones so I have a bunch of extra codes (it said I already redeemed the bonus they mapped to).

Here are the rest, have fun, say what ones you took, lurkers don't look

Probably all the icon thing?
Q5D7-6N5S-VVNZ-W5DN
Y22T-VC5B-9Y4Z-AL1D
D1AH-X1I8-LU2F-QCDU

Probably the armor thing?
WR8P-N3UW-A945-2TH1
FVGL-M1MA-QXLK-2CYZ

Looks like lurkers took the rest but thank you for your generosity!