Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

No cross-play.

That blows. I assume most of my friends are getting it on steam, but i have it free through the game pass.

That said, it doesn't seem to want to launch through the xbox app, anyone having similar problems?

E: Launching through the exe or whatever in my start menu worked.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, I tried to update the game, it decided to not update correctly, error page recommended restarting PC, App tries to launch now but nothing happens. Going into the Microsoft Store App says there's an issue with the app and needs to be reinstalled, reinstall button does nothing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone started playing through the Windows Store version, then went to Steam? I know steam makes you use a xbox profile, so I'm wondering if i pick up the steam version it will use same profile.

(I only have MCC through the games pass, so I'm tempted to just buy a proper copy)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Halo 2 suffers a lot from the rushed and insane development cycle it had, and the technical limitations of the original Xbox.

We all know how the marketing really, really hyped up this huge battle for Earth and then oops it's basically just a skirmish in a desert city (a location already over-done in mid-2000s shooters) and then you gently caress off back to space.

I still remember being confused when I didn't see city segment I remember seeing in pre-release gameplay.

Also, in a trailer, there's a big explosion in the city, but in-game it's the white slip-space jump effect.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Beat Halo 2 anniversary on heroic. Gravemind might have been the toughest level in the game but I think it was also the best overall. I had to switch back to classic visuals to get the Breaking Benjamin song, and overall it was really fun especially with the new graphics.

Just played through on normal myself - the track change on the Heretic (Follow/Follow In Flight) threw me off - the track that plays in Metropolis before the Scarab boarding also felt way weaker in the remaster - like, it seems like they're going for a similar thing but the instrumentation is a bit different and it just doesn't hit as good.

Graphics update seems really good - most of the time I kinda felt like "oh yeah this is how I remember it" before flipping back and realize how much of a jump they made. Had to swap to old graphics in a few spots on the later levels since the updated added a lot of shadows and darkness where the wasn't really any before.

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's a lot of room for improvement in Halo 2's single-player and some more levels like the attack on the assault carrier or the Chief's Forerunner Tank Escape would have been fun additions. I'd have liked to see what 343 could have added if they were going beyond remastering the graphics and had also put new missions in.

Is there an outline of what Halo 2 was supposed to be out there?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I remember Halo 1-3 being totally fine with a controller, and that's coming from someone who grew up pretty die hard "FPS belong on PC" and even played Halo on PC first. Halo is basically what convinced me you can do FPS on console.

The moody lighting is mostly good for making the swamp feel creepy in the leadup to the showing you the flood. It's supposed to give unsettling vibes more then scary?

But yea the Library can get hosed and putting floor arrows in the remaster is a funny (and good) tweak.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I become older every time I hear someone say Halo Wars was their first RTS.

The Kins posted:

Fall damage isn't limited to downwards velocity - hitting any solid surface hard enough will splatter you against it.
Apparently Bungie was happy with that idea so much it's a prominent feature in Destiny.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Halo 3’s shotgun is pretty good. It’s not the OP monster it was in H1 but it’s a step up from 2.

As for a “one weapon for any situation” type I guess that would be the BR?

Honestly it feels like it takes more shots then I'd like to kill Brutes point-blank, despite Brutes being squishier then their H2 counter-part.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

From my wiki skimming it sounded liked none of the covenant member species actually managed to develop to spaceflight before the prophet race encountered them and brought them into the fold?

Also, just finishing my Halo 3 play through I'm got a little mixed up on something from an earlier wikidive. Guilty Spark refers to humans as "Forerunner Children" or something like that, it felt like they almost meant it in the literal sense. But humans are apparently explicitly not forerunner? Did forerunners just pick them as successors?

Also, if forerunners were able to preserve humans and the prophet species, how come they didn't preserve any of their kind?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It took me a bit too long to realize that was probably a joke about Guilty Spark's VO.

The flood backstory is kinda interesting - I think the bit about it mostly being something that hosed off out of the galaxy, and basically at risk of returning at some point makes the stuff about having flood spores on halo rings for study make a whole lot more sense. (Also wait, aren't there 5 other rings out there that could have flood spores on them "right now"...?)

I think in my wiki skimming I saw some stuff about the flood backing off ancient humanity/leaving Forerunners alone to help give the illusion it was something they could cure / cause them to later waste time chasing a cure that never existed.

e: Oh, interesting, The Gravemind on 05 was not some gravemind that survived the rings firing, it was just a bi-product of containment failing on 05 and the flood getting big enough.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 22, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wait that wasn't a joke about voice actors?

e: Further wikidiving also reminds me of how much I lovehate the names Bungie came up with stuff, (or anyone imitating what they went fro) particularly the ships and monitors. I'm slightly upset there doesn't seem to be a named monitor for every ring, but "000 Tragic Solitude" is good.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 22, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda took that the halo firing would kill the flood pretty well, it's just that there was A) No way to just hit the flood and B) no way to guarantee every last bit of flood would go, so the rings became a mutually assured destruction that would starve any flood that would manage to survive.

Okan170 posted:

I thought the Gravemind in 2 arose after the rings were fired?

Yeah, when I was looking at the wiki the other day it sounded like something went wrong on 05 post-firing and containment failed, with an implication that Penitent Tangent hosed up or something.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 22, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I'm confused, the Prophets kinda knew the Great Journey wasn't what they were saying it was, but also kinda didn't?

Arcsquad12 posted:

A fragment of Mendicant Bias that was running the dreadnought in High Charity...

Is that related to the weird covenant AI that Guilty Spark mentions in the H2A terminals?

I think it also came up in the H1 remaster terminals.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like when you stick a brute with a grenade and they just stand and roar, usually blowing up their buddies along with themselves.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

Why are we still fighting elites.

Worse, why are the elites fighting alongside the brutes. The brutes literally tried to genocide them.

I'm assuming the whole "Banished" thing means these are some covenant that are separate from the rest?

I haven't played 4 & 5 and I heard you fight covenant for similar reasons in those.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

honestly as someone who didn't play 4 & 5, the earlier trailer where they had a Pelican finding Chief in deep space felt like it could have been picking up where H3 left off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Working my way through Reach, and while yeah, I kinda figured they wouldn't make it through, Kat's death felt really dumb and cheap, bordering on nonsensical. Ah yes, there just happened to be a dude on phantom waiting to snipe through a crack in the ceiling. With that covenant sniper rifle that exists in the game.

Does that dude have a book? Must be pretty special to make that shot.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Whoever had the bright idea to make the H2 skull achievements tied to Legendary can go suck an egg.

It was that way originally, so I think they kept it. In back-porting skulls to H1 I guess they decided to be lax / make them in the remaster mode only.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 24, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

They don't really sit down and explain it but all the pieces are there:

1)The dude who killed her was the zealot leader from the first mission, and also the last at the very end. He's been keeping tabs/hunting Noble.

2) Kat's transmissions were traced- the first time was at the end of New Alexandria, which is why you have to defend the Oni building, and then Carter was talking to some dude telling them to go do The Package so that transmission got traced too.

3) Kat's shields were out after the emp from the glassing. Rest of Noble's too.

So it's basically the best of the best of the Elites have been following Noble team, traced their transmission, and hit them at a perfect time.

That makes a bit more sense. I played the first few missions then took a long break so I totally forgot about the zealot leader / didn't realize he was hunting down Noble. I also didn't pick up that everyone's shields were out too. They did play up the fact the communications weren't secure, so I'll give them that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's the first gameplay footage - doesn't feel that strange to not show MP?

I thought they were also specifically spinning this one as open-worldish, not like, one or two missions have open design?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I find it kind of funny just how much the H2A terminals make you see the Arbiter differently.

Like, just the sheer scale of what he was responsible really did not seem apparent or obvious from playing through original H2.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really like sprint because I think I'd just rather faster movement. If movement is going to have trade-off of making me more vulnerable, I'd rather it be more interesting/fun. (Like say, a grappling hook.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

As a relatively new Halo player, what’s wrong with sprinting? If everyone has it it can’t be an unfair advantage right?

So I haven't played a ton of reach but I think it's just as simple as it makes for a different balance & feel in MP. You can't shoot while sprinting and it takes a moment to ready your gun after ending a sprint. Nothing massive, but its going to put you at a disadvantage if you get caught off guard.

I think people are against it because they rather Halo be a bit more of a simple MP shooter? Not that sprint is the most complexity adding thing, but it simply just changes how you play.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

At the same time it makes Halo 3 just downright silly with his buddy buddy partnership with Master Chief.

Like, Halo 3 takes place maybe a couple of days after Reach if even that. So by the end of Halo 3 where he's being begrudgingly welcomed at the funeral it's like Thursday or something, when he wiped out his last few billion civilians/soldiers just on the Monday before it.

Retroactively making him out to be this super badass just makes it all the harder to believe his acceptance afterwards.

Pretty much. Felt "fine": when he was just some enemy commander responsible for the battle at 04, since it was really easy not to think of the casualties. But as this fleet master whose tactics was basically solely responsible for wiping out billions of humans, yikes.

Was Halo 3 really that shortly after Reach/Halo 1? I know Reach segues right into Halo 1, and Halo 1 is basically a day or two, but Halo 2 gives the vibe it's not like, the second Chief got back to Earth? Halo 2 itself seems like a few days, and Halo 3 has some weirdness where it feels like it's right when Chief arrives with the Forerunner ship, but Truth also has had time to excavate all of New Mombasa?

The Human dude at the funeral tells Arby that he won't ever really accept him or w/e but it feels really mild given who Arby is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

On the other hand, if they're trying to recapture the Halo 1 vibe, expect an act 3 twist introducing a different antagonist.

Would rather not see more Flood though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean unsc Frigate Grafton is so memorable.

UNSC Say My Name legit owns.

is there a UNSC You're drat Right?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pursued by bees posted:

That was so drat dumb. Sure Chief, more fanatic than the Covenant who resorted to suicide tactics just to kill one Spartan. Yeah.

Speaking of suicide tactics - what felt kinda goofy to in Reach was the "covenant suicide squads"

I sorta get the whole grunts kamikazing in a panic/desperation, but sending grunts to blow themselves up against defenseless civilians seems odd and wasteful? I guess shock tactics?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Covenant speaking english is another one of those factors. Like, I assume it goes without saying Reach made them not speak english for tone reasons.

It's really kind of funny to compare the Covenant in Halo 1 and Halo Reach. Halo 1 they're bordering on comic relief, with The Flood being where the game gets serious.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Haven't watched yet, but Unraveled is always a treat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

i vomit kittens posted:

The guy that made those Cursed Halo mod videos has something new out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4VWoTrAuQ

Little sad there's no double decker hog, but holy, this was a good watch.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheGreySpectre posted:

Any word on odst will be finished testing yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWdYyCnIZs

Available on Sept 22.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Upgrades are ultimately a somewhat decent way to incentivize exploration in open world games. I feel like it probably is going to be totally fine for a campaign mode. I feel like it could still be fairly simple while letting you get some bonus perks for pokin around and being thorough.

Like upgrades were a pretty good addition in Doom 2016/Eternal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just finished ODST for the first time, pretty neat.

So is the implication that all the "guiding" by the city AI just the engineer working through it?

Also Halo timeline is really funny/funky. Apparently drones can set up a hive in the span of a day or two (Halo 2 feels like it pretty clearly sets out "covenant show up -> cruiser slipspaces out" to happen within about a day) but there's like a month gap between then end of ODST and Sgt. Johnson arriving back at earth. (With a bit longer before Chief arrives?)

Also I guess the "Auotmag" mentioned in the ODST related challenges is just the silenced pistol? The "auto" part was making me hope for a full-auto pistol or something. Also, the fact that it doesn't seem to be called automag when you pick it up?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Isnt that a classic format for infection?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

2 is my favorite in general but it's a ton of nostalgia bias because it was the one I did tons of lan parties with friends. Halo 3 was cool because I got to play it online properly (I think I did some Halo 2 online MP through third party stuff, but it was a foot note)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also kinda like ODST being the opposite of Reach: You go from a dire/doomed situation where everyone could be dead, to everyone actually making it out.

Like, from the end of the first mission or whatever, I knew Dare was almost certainly not dead (cinematic rule of not showing the body) - but I figured maybe the rest of the team would be dead by the time Rookie found them, or someone would die, or there would be a heroic sacrifice. It's pretty cool to go from the somber loneliness of the start of the game to heroically making it out at the end.

Though, the climactic holdout feels a touch weak compared to other entries finales? The leadup on the highway where you see the covenant starting to glass was good.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Given the multiplayer is going to be f2p, it's not much of a surprise, but it's still really disappointing.

Should let people set colour for free and just focus on selling custom armor pieces (which, would still be kinda lame but more reasonable)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The timer on ODST arcade firefight is oddly tight - I’ve had two rounds time out and it wasn’t like we were dicking around or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzBDfIX_Wik
Halo 4 getting added to MCC Nov 17th.