Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

e: never mind!

Fuzzy McDoom fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Lawman 0 posted:

lmao ok so I died like probably 30 times to that section trying both of those methods and it was honestly loving awful because I forgot that actually the rocket launcher sucks rear end. At least until I realized I could shimmy a ghost up the ridge and it only took three tries.
Special note goes to getting shot in the back by a silver elite during the final run to the swordfish, that was hysterical.
Edit: Also I forgot how awful fighting the flood was and how many copy and paste environments they use which was just awful honestly.

I use the rocket launcher for flipping over turrets (aim low). Then you can spam ghost cannons on the tanks from afar, and once the tanks are dead the battlefield becomes a sniper gallery.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

If you think the banshee levels are bad wait until you try legendary on the space combat level in Reach. Enemy fighters can take you out in < 2 seconds, they know how to lead aim and compensate for speed boosting and trick moves, and you have to fight like a dozen at a time. Only way I was finally able to pull it off was by flying tight circles behind pieces of space debris / the enemy capital ship to use as some semblance of cover and hope that only 1 enemy fighter decides to engage me on that side at a time.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Yeah I forgot how good Halo 3 was because I mostly remembered the plot and writing being rubbish. I still hate the Cortana telepathy too much to really love Sierra-117 but the big final section where you rescue Johnson at the dam was just so well designed. Something about how you get to see the lay of the fortified position you're assaulting like reconning a base in MGSV is just really satisfying.

I really love Crow's Nest though, the way it's this lived-in setting that you criss-cross defensively putting out fires rather than going linearly forwards was fun. The Ark is pretty fantastic.

I could do with about one less scarab battle and "Cortana" can die in a fire.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Some good ways to deal with excess brutes are the humble needler, and sticky grenades because they're fat and bad at dodging

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

FPzero posted:

Are brutes still weak to needles in Halo 3? I know they were in Reach but I'm not sure if that was something made specifically for Reach or if that reaches back a bit.

There's a reason the game very onstentatiously gives you a needler via cutscene the first time you encounter brutes in Halo 2. As for Halo 3 I don't know the "weakness" mechanics but I recently completed my legendary run and the needler is by far my favorite close-to-midrange weapon against brutes (the best option always of course being to headshot them from afar).

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

While we're talking backstory, what is the general gist of the story being told in the Reach data pads? I've been getting them very much out of order and all I can tell is that there are AI's plotting behind either humanity or forerunners' backs.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Why is this entire thread discussing a cancelled Far Cry spinoff from 2011?

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Hardcore players of pretty much every franchise with a competitive element cry endlessly about innovations and balance changes because they consider themselves entrenched experts and take the idea of having to get gud again as a personal affront.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

So were Spartan Ops any good? It looks like there are 50 missions so they can't be that long or involved, are they at least varied with some fun battles? Seems like a nice extra bit of content provided I don't end up hating how halo 4 plays.

Some of them, especially the early ones, are pretty generic and repeat areas, but some of them are actually quite cool. It plays differently than the usual campaign because it's designed for co-op and even if you die solo you don't have to revert to a checkpoint. Playing on XB1 I had a problem finding the plot very confusing and it turns out that you have to manually track down the cutscenes between the various mission sets? Baffling.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

I'm playing "Reclaimer" in H4 now and just laughing at how humanity's greatest warship can't fire its armaments at a massive stationary object without having a shootyman point a bar code scanner at it.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

The worst dialogue in Reach is when Kat refers to a problem as a "solvable".

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

If we can include nameless idiots I nominate the Gypsy Company member who got trapped under the Mammoth in Reclaimer, spent five minutes running into the underside of the loading ramp, somehow escaped when it started moving again, and then used this newfound freedom to run around to the front of the Mammoth and then stop again in front of a massive wheel. To add insult to injury, this cost me 200 points.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

I still don't understand how Cortana does cross-galactic telepathy to master chief in the first few levels of the game

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Been playing through 4, which everyone hates and they are right, but I will die on the hill that Composer is a good rear end level

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

alf_pogs posted:

I missed that it's launching with battle Royale and f2p multiplayer. hooooo boy is that a red flag

I thought they were not doing a battle royale? Didnt 343 post a meme or something like "The only BR we care about is the Battle Rifle"?

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

I actually looked up Voi once on wikipedia and it is a real town about 100 miles inland from Mombasa in the middle of the savannah. Tsavo is an actual region basically directly between Mombasa and Voi. I wonder if there was some sort of change in development that led to Voi having a coastal vibe.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I thought that the huge pit the covenant had excavated to reveal the ark portal was basically the ruins of Mt Kilimanjaro? It's mentioned in a terminal that's where the forerunners put the portal. New Mombasa is on the other side of it from Voi. Doesn't explain why Voi seemed to be a once coastal city though.

Fool that I was, relying upon 21st century wikipedia instead of the authoritative source

halopedia posted:

In the mid 26th century, Voi was situated beside a large man-made lake,[5] which was connected to an ocean inlet leading all the way to New Mombasa on the coast. This waterway provided a way of carrying large amounts of cargo from the facilities in Voi to the space tether in New Mombasa and other locations around the globe. The shorelines of the lake were filled with warehouses and docking structures; one of the most prominent industrial facilities in Voi was the Factory Complex 09 of the Traxus Heavy Industries. Another facility, Traxus Factory Complex 71, was also located nearby on the shores of the lake.[6]

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

My impression was that a lot of the Reach AI was highly encounter-specific

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

My wife, who suffered through me playing an insane amount of MCC during quarantine but doesnt pay much attention because FPS motion makes her nauseous and she hates Cortana, happened to catch me playing Halo 5 for a few minutes once and immediately asked me "Is this bad Halo?"

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Some good things about Halo 4:

The music
Visual/environment design of things that are not enemy targets
About half of the combat areas
The railgun

Some things that suck:

The other half of the combat areas
Elites are ugly
DMR supremacy
Cortana, Captain Dickhead, Captain Gamer Dad
Any promethean with heavy weapons

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

I want to backhand Lasky's smug, virtuous face with the top side of a needler every time I see him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Xinder posted:

I didn't realize they were a thing or I'd have played the whole game with the original visuals instead of alternating between sessions.

If they were added to 2, is there a way to turn original visuals on for that one? We're planning on starting 2 tomorrow and I'd rather avoid any more of those post-fact additions.

The new cutscenes (in both games) don't play unless you activate the terminals, so you probably just had the unlikely accident of trying to reload your weapon five inches from one of the ones that isn't tucked away in an obscure chasm somewhere.
e: with the exception that the very start of the H2 campaign has an utterly pointless H5 tie-in cinematic that plays before the opening cutscene

Fuzzy McDoom fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 28, 2020