Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I feel unusually excited in that they also noted that XP will be gained through campaign play like back in the day. Thats been way overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It never really struck me before now how half assed the Flood are in Halo 2.

Having the little infection forms revive dead corpses but still having the Flood immune to melee damage really doesn't help in the gameplay department either. At least 3 fixed some of that problem. Going back to Halo 2 now years later, it really really shows how rushed the game feels in some areas.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd actually say they get worse after Combat Evolved. The CE Banshee can at least take a couple hits, but the Halo 2 Banshee is dead meat if anything gets behind you and no amount of backflips will get them off your rear end.

2 seemed really really into the "sympathetic damage" thing with the vehicles, combined with the way you have way less health in that game than the others. The CE Banshee also has that weird thing where if you try and hover with it by holding the direction stick back, you fall out of the sky.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

RBA Starblade posted:

The ghost in Halo 2 can be immediately blown up if you shoot the fusion core underneath the driver's left foot, it's suicide to be in it lol

I think that’s also the only game where it does it’s delayed explosion after it blows up the first time, posing quite a hazard on tank levels.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Looks like the update came out early. 343 responding to question about if its intentional on Reddit with "🤔"

edit: the season unlock system is being updated and is unavailable, but that part should go live tomorrow apparently.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 14, 2020

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Went into the Halo wiki to see whats changed since last I checked in with the series and discovered that apparently Halsey is Miranda Keyes' mother? :psyduck:

And the weird Nightfall thing about the one chunk of Installation 04 that apparently went through a slipspace rupture that happened invisibly when the Pillar of Autumn's reactor exploded. This also created a unique-to-the-universe element which degrades only human DNA. :psyboom:

And its so serious about it all... I can't even begin to understand why these decisions were made.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
If you thought the graphics look better in your memory for CE, there may be a grain of truth to that. The Gearbox port that the Classic graphics mode is based on is missing quite a lot of features that were present in the Xbox version. One of these is that bump maps do not show up unless they are illuminated by a dynamic light source like the flashlight, but on the original Xbox they were lit up by the lighting in the scene.

During the Gearbox port, somehow the lighting information was lost and the visible maps haven’t been back in a release since. Another example of this was that Needler ammo that you can find in 343 Guilty Spark looked kind of like a plasma globe on the inside, with little filaments dancing around inside the crystal. Same effect was on jackal shields, drop ship energy fields etc. Hopefully some of that can get restored at some point.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 17, 2020

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Cortana is the only sentient thing to ever treat John like a person, instead of a tool / something to be feared. Even Halsey never actually gives a poo poo about him. I don't know how you label such a relationship but that's why he cares so deeply about her.

I'm sure there is lots of awful and :stare: worthy fanfic though that paints the relationship in a decidedly different light...

I always thought of the relationship as almost entirely nonromantic except for playful jabs at each other. John has been through so much modification, but shes the closest hes known to a kindred spirit or real friend.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

chaosapiant posted:

Ok cool; I’m not even interested in multi, but can switch back to K&B easily enough if I were. Thanks!

I’ve got an xbox controller at hand and so far it seems to switch between them easily. As in if youre playing K&B, tapping A or something on the controller will immediately switch all the key prompts to controller prompts and vice versa. In game or in menu.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The only thing I find annoying about the controller is there seems to be no scheme that matches the original Halo/Halo 2 from the Xbox completely. The closest I can get has B as melee but still has reload bound to RB.

Unfortunately despite not having played them for nearly a decade and a half if not more, it seems I still have muscle memory of X being use/reload. So every time I want to reload my gun I instead toss a powerup to the floor.

For what it’s worth, this was the behavior on Halo 3 on the Xbox 360. I spent many an hour accidentally throwing equipment on the ground while trying to reload due to that muscle memory, they moved reload to the bumper buttons because they wanted you to be able to reload the left and right hands independently.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Bloodplay it again posted:

In one or more Halo games, once you have been falling at max speed for a certain amount of time, it kills you, regardless of whether you went low enough to fall through a kill plane or not. The skull works in both Halo and Halo 2, as well. What I meant was: if you zip around long enough without bumping/landing on top of something, the game kills you off because you have been "falling" for too long. You occasionally need to land/bump something to change velocity or else the game thinks you fell through the map or whatever, where it will proceed to kill you and reload to the last-saved checkpoint.

There's also the chance I barely bumped something else while my velocity was too high, but I believe it was from moving too quickly for too long. Haven't had much of a chance to mess around with it yet to determine which was Master Chief's cause of death, but I did break several mission triggers and killed the Brute Chieftan before he could lock up Sarge last night. Hopefully I get some time tonight to experiment with it more.

If you're dying after flying in Halo 3 you might be running into kill zones- it has less of the "auto-death after falling for x amount of time" and a lot more of the "anyone who crosses this dies" kind of stuff.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

RBA Starblade posted:

The plasma rifle is oddly good against Flood in H3

It also has hidden powers- it’s one of the few weapons that will damage Pure Flood forms when they go into their defensive curled up posture.

Of course I only just realized after all these years that you can shoot the infection form out of combat forms’ chests, essentially headshotting them. Though they can still reanimate.

edit: Came across these in my recommendations a few days ago- lots of amazing historical development chaos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwfnAM3dBrM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBi_xx26ClM

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 20, 2020

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Logical1234 posted:

I got to say, the campaign was really tightly written with hindsight. While the characters weren’t as fleshed out as some would prefer, it’s works for this scenario. The atmosphere was literally one ‘tense’ note, and it makes you as the player wish we could have known these characters longer, and thus it feels like a loss as the members of the main cast start going down.

And for the record, I have always been more of a fan of Reach’s artstyle and atmosphere compared to all the other games. Though Halo 3: ODST is a close second.

So the Reach campaign was fun. It also made me remember why I ducking despise Grunts, jackals, or enemy rear end in a top hat in campaign with a plasma pistol with a fiery passion. It’s for the same reason whyI hate enemies that debuff you in RPG’s. On higher difficulties, one overcharge screw you over in a vehicle level, or knock out your shields right when your in a firefight with the Elites and or brutes.

I will enjoy killing the Grunts with satisfaction.

I have a feeling that the feeling of Halo games is tightly related to the tone of the games- specifically the combination of apocalyptic destruction, human extinction, casual humor, slight dopeyness and etherial almost new-agey music. When parts of this take a background position, the darker sadder parts of the setting start becoming more apparent. Like the way that Reach and 4 both dial back the "sillier" parts of the equation, and whats left doesn't really hang together quite as well. One of the Bungie podcasts back in the 2000s had one of the devs describe it pretty well that Halo is a universe that is "fun to play in" but would "suck to live in" and I wonder if finding a new voice is part of what is tripping the new games up some, apart from terrible plot.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Kin posted:

Hah, if its what they intended, then they ran out of steam halfway through.

If you pay very careful attention, IIRC, once you get halfway, you just replay the same 4 levels backwards but with a different flood themed skin on them.

I'm sure i read somewhere that 3 was supposed to be at the end of 2, but 2 was such a shitshow to develop that they had to cut the entire final arc and spin it off into another game (hence the cliffhanger). That meant Halo 3 simply didn't have enough content to make it a full game so they padded it out and duplicated the levels to make it twice as long.

That's why it feels like gently caress all really happens over the course of 2(3) games.

In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if the whole game series (sans reach and halo 4/5) is supposed to take place in just 1 day or a bloody afternoon or something.

The big discontinuity in 3 is that "Cortana" was supposed to be the 2nd half of "Floodgate". The generators you destroy in Cortana are the ones that Miranda Keyes talks about needing to blow up on board the crashed covenant ship in Floodgate (before the Shipmaster just glasses Voi) and the interiors are all directly from the Covenant ship design with a new skybox- you even fight through a ruined version of the covenant bridge that appears in Shipmaster's cutscenes. Originally you had to make your way into the ship, retrieve the message and blow it up. The actual Cortana level was to be very specifically High Charity, and play off the "ghost" vision of Cortana you see walking through hallways in the cutscene at the end of "The Covenant", you'd have to break in get Cortana and do some stuff with fighting Gravemind by commandeering an immobile Scarab with Cortana's help.

However they wound up being unable to execute the original level they wanted and with the time situation, they redesigned the last half of Floodgate to have some high charity elements and repurposed it. Unlike in Halo 2 though, this was more compartmentalized and happened soon enough that it doesn't totally break the entire game and narrative, just kind of messes with it where Halo 2 really is missing that.

All 3 of the games probably should someday be given a more complete go-over. But considering all the baggage, thats probably best done as part of an inevitable reboot that jettisons the worst of the lore. Currently its like they want to tell science fiction stories of a certain complexity in a universe that isn't really set up to handle that kind of detail- and the bits filling in the gaps really feel even more hokey as a result.

edit:

The Kins posted:

Also lines that were recorded before they probably should have been rewritten, like Cortana inexplicably dropping into British slang when she first meets 343 Guilty Spark.

I posted the commentary tracks from CE and 2 up a bit, but they actually directly mention this. Having originally intended her to be British- by the time it became really apparent how jarring it was, it was too late to rerecord the lines. At least it made young Okan170 go bug mom as to what "Toady" meant!
They should've just occasionally kept slipping in british phrasing into her dialog for fun, its not like an AI can't be kind of weird.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 22, 2020

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

RBA Starblade posted:

I just finished replaying that part and it's funny how after Chief gets the Cortana voicemail and apparently just turns around and leaves, the Elite ships glass everything BUT the flood-generating machine. Maybe shoot a laser that way too guys

I think they glass the ship too- it seems like it crashed into Voi and then Voi got glassed. Except for the ark portal generator which is presumably still keeping that portal open for a while.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Clearly it couldn't do either, since apparently it didn't even kill a gravemind that was on a halo ring when it fired :v:

I thought the Gravemind in 2 arose after the rings were fired?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Assault on the Control Room is a slog because they copy paste the same room 9 times and it gets old fast.

Thankfully Two Betrayals lets you bypass most of the backtracking by giving you a banshee.

You used to be able to get a very early Banshee in Assault on the Control Room- right after you first get the Scorpion you fight some tanks and a Banshee comes to strafe you. It comes from a platform (to the final pulse generator in Two Betrayals), and if you shot the bottom of the platform with the tank, on the classic Xbox it would go through the platform and flip the banshee up and down to the ground where you could pick it up.

This doesn't work in the standard CE campaign anymore, but if you turn on the physics skulls you can blast it off the platform with the tank by shooting around it (made easier by being in high resolution), then go pick it up and zoom through the level.

The marines will actually still follow you, but if you skip large enough sections the enemies will stop spawning and eventually the marines might disappear in a loading zone. The doors, elevators and the end level cutscene will still play though.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The whole plot is a mess worthy of the new Star Wars trilogy in terms of how convoluted it all is. I say again, I really wish 343 would have just rebooted the drat franchise at this point and have the plot to Infinite be something closer to what Bungie originally intended for CE. Especially now we have the tech to actually have large-scale guerilla battles to showcase.

Kind of low-key hoping that the end of Infinite is a Marathon-style timeline gently caress to reboot things in some way.

Also disappointed with the way that, from the new trailer, over time the human designs have gotten more "literal military hardware" and less like "conceptually, what might an assault rifle look like in 300 years?" At least 343 has managed to get allow themselves to have spaces on models which do not have excessive detail- it felt like in 4 and 5 there was a "oh god theres a blank expanse of metal here, we need greebles!". My Halo-buddy friend growing up eventually worked at 343 as a modeler and got so beaten down by the aesthetic that he and some other artists created some things like "The UNSC toilet" that were just overgreebled to hell- I hope one day we're allowed to see that stuff.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
This is probably the most comprehensive video covering whats an issue. Oddly, I think that Reach's system where the abilities are pickups allows a lot more flexibility than what it turned into with Halo 4 and 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pnEtAqnhpw

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Oxyclean posted:

Pretty much. Felt "fine": when he was just some enemy commander responsible for the battle at 04, since it was really easy not to think of the casualties. But as this fleet master whose tactics was basically solely responsible for wiping out billions of humans, yikes.

Was Halo 3 really that shortly after Reach/Halo 1? I know Reach segues right into Halo 1, and Halo 1 is basically a day or two, but Halo 2 gives the vibe it's not like, the second Chief got back to Earth? Halo 2 itself seems like a few days, and Halo 3 has some weirdness where it feels like it's right when Chief arrives with the Forerunner ship, but Truth also has had time to excavate all of New Mombasa?

I think there are time skips with FTL travel. Apparently CE takes place a few weeks or a month after Reach due to travel time for example.

Which further makes the Reach designs funnier when you see artists talk about how they designed the assault rifle to look "more primitive" than the one in CE. Its only like, a month later! To say nothing of the way the Covenant must've somehow intercepted all the M6D pistols and ammo leaving the Pillar of Autumn with the last remaining supply in the galaxy.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zaphod42 posted:

This all comes across as last minute excuses. "oh its an old build, and we really appreciate the feedback so we can incorporate it!"
Corporate Translation: "Oh gently caress oh gently caress, we thought you guys would love that, UHHHHHHH don't panic, uhhhhhhhh we'll make it better we promise! Okay employees its crunch time we gotta redesign everything."

Honestly, like, of course its an old build, you polish an old build for a demo. That's how demos work. But the game COMES OUT IN LIKE 4 MONTHS? No loving way.

Sounds pretty on-point, all the press from Microsoft about the trailer was that it was the usual graphical cutting edge buzzwords, and there wasn't any acknowledgement of it being anything other than stunning for a few days. Its been going around the community all week that "the build was from January" or "from 2019" as a reason why it looked that way. And the switch from that to having it be confirmed as "several weeks ago" is pretty much worst case there.

Zaphod42 posted:

You have to remember the context that this is the first we're seeing of Xbox Series X and MS is using Halo Infinite to tout its new graphics powerhouse.
This isn't just a current gen game, this is their flagship next-gen game. But it looks last-gen. That's the thing.
Its not like, completely hideous. Its just not anything we haven't seen before in ANY way.

The big thing is that they want this to sell the $500 new Xbox, Infinite is coming out on PC already so theres got to be a really good reason to drop that kind of cash on a totally new machine that has... dubious benefits? Its so weird because if the stunning feature that is expensive to get on PC is something like raytracing, then why not show that off if your game was visually designed around it? That would turn heads and then people would want to weigh if they wanted an expensive graphics card or an expensive console that supported it. If it looked a lot like the engine reveal trailer, it would absolutly tick that box. But its apparently not going to even be in at launch.

The raytracing thing though is confusing coming at it from the computer graphics angle- if its something they're relying on to bring the lighting to life then they're going to be talking about doing things like raytraced shadows, reflections, maybe global illumination. But those alone aren't enough to make the whole thing look stunning. The only other thing I can think of is that they're thinking of raytracing as full path-tracing like Quake 2 and Minecraft RTX. But those games both run at the limit of current hardware even on the RTX cards, with Minecraft only reaching 60fps 1440p regularly when using DLSS to upscale, and both games relying heavily on the hardware denoising algorithms to make the lighting not grainy. IF they were doing full path tracing on the Xbox hardware that would actually be an incredible achievement, especially since they would've had to tackle upscaling and denoising on their own standards independent of anything NVIDIA. To say nothing of hitting 4k 60fps with such a setup.

It kind of makes me even more dubious because it sounds like its a thing that people are pinning their hopes on to rescue the visuals of the game, but I don't think its something they can execute to the level that people are picturing in their heads. But at the same time, if it WASN'T built around raytracing solving everything, then why would they go for a lighting system that is dynamic and unable to achieve the kind of look that current generation games are able to already surpass?

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 31, 2020

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zaphod42 posted:

Metro Exodus is the best implementation of ray tracing I've seen yet

But like I said, communicating why the shadows look better to someone who isn't a graphics nerd is really hard. "The shadows are where they should be" just doesn't really make sense because shadows in games look fine already.

And you can't really design gameplay around it because most people don't have the hardware and won't for years to come. So its just this real minor nice to have graphics thing...

I think people are imagining the difference like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSfCMtbzotQ

But yeah, thats so far beyond what could be done anytime soon on something Halo at full size and fps. And even then, if you had the game built properly you could get most of that with existing tech. Which brings us back around to whats the reason this is going to sell the Xbox- if its focused on the 4k 60fps thing then the whole pitch seems kind of badly-considered.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zaphod42 posted:

I've played like 20 rounds of Ghost Town this weekend

Why do the MCC servers seem to prefer that map so much? I swear 4 out of 5 games is Ghost Town!

Halo 3 has some good maps but the dlc ones are kinda so-so in my opinion, and yet it feels like I never get to play anything else.

Geez, people have a ton of patience! It only took me 4 games of "casual" team deathmatch where half your team quits instantly to swear off multiplayer entirely. I guess theres Firefight Arcade for those of us who just want to unlock stuff but not have to deal with multiplayer.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Like right up until some flood with human weapons chip through your shields. Or all the parts where you have to stand around and defend doors. Or when they just show up with rocket launchers and gib you or when the carrier forms just chain react and land next to you and and and

Fun bit about that, I think the combat forms firing the way they do with human weapons in CE is a remnant of an earlier control scheme. At a certain point a few months before release, the AR and the Plasma Rifle were trigger-sensitive. So if you held it down you'd fire a full inaccurate spread, but if you lightly tapped the trigger it would fire more accurately but more slowly- just as the combat forms do.

TheGreySpectre posted:

The problem is I didn't like destiny. If I wanted to play destiny I would go play destiny. I don't. I want to play Halo with it's designed linear levels, no open world filler content and arena based multiplayer.

Yeah I get this... I was never into the multiplayer stuff big time and Destiny just missed piquing my interest entirely. With 343's track record I can see the content vacuum Destiny had happening in Infinite as well.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its this.

Everybody thought "Pirate movies" were dead and hated until Pirates of the Carribean came out. Ends up people just really hated Cutthroat Island.

People have been saying that arena shooters aren't popular anymore since before Modern Warfare 1 came out. Different people like different things. Counter-Strike and Overwatch both remain very popular. Its not quite as simple as just arena shooters are unpopular now.

There's just so many more games in general to divide people's attention, and we haven't had a good Halo in a decade.

Also in general, rocket arena type games tend to be very skill-based, and in general deep skill-based games are generally niche. The mainstream seems to prefer things that are easier to pick up and put down and require less investment. Hence all the glut of games where you just unlock things or level up by playing more and more. Games that depend upon skills still exist of course (again, CSGO, etc.) but they're just generally less popular among all the other games that get more attention.

We old :corsair:

I can kind of feel this just trying to play MCC online. There’s such a wide skill gap and skill is so important that you just end up getting wailed on with little idea as to why or what is going on. Once in a while you get a match that’s actually fun but the overall trend of it all is just really not very fun. There are inches of people that enjoy that and sink a lot of time into it and it winds up creating a huge barrier to new players, especially if most advice is of the “Git gud” variety.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Disproportionation posted:

Isn't vehicle health tied in some way to the occupants'? I get why they do that but it does sometimes result in weird stuff like that.

This is how it usually is in the other Halo games. For example in Halo 2 Legendary, because you have the 2nd lowest amount of health of any entity in the game (aside from the flood infection form), when you enter a vehicle you actually make that whole vehicle significantly more fragile. For things like the Scorpion, any Marines riding on it will also take sympathetic damage whenever you are hit.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Flannelette posted:

Yeah in 3 if you hit the ghost's weak spot it explodes and just damages the driver and the passengers often just get ejected with heavy damage from exploding vehicles.
I think the Wraith had a similar weak spot on their rear. Having weak spots and location damage is something they could have explored more, like blow off a warthog's wheel.
I didn't know they changed H2:A to be like Reach and 4, that's an interesting choice given it makes the BR more powerful usually.

Playing H2A on Legendary still gives plenty of the classic
[Plasma cannons pounding on tank]
[Chief dies quickly and his corpse pops out of the tank, but everyone else okay!]
[Chief's ragdoll forearm or foreleg pivots onto the ground after a perfect comic pause]

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Xinlum posted:

Anyone have luck messing around with old H2 glitches? It's still super easy to get out of bounds on Containment, but I could not make progress on sword cancelling to escape Turf, I got out of bounds but couldn't really move around the rooftops like I remember doing in the original. I also haven't gotten any of the superbounces to work in Ascension but I might just be doing them wrong.

Backpack reloading still totally works in Halo 1 fyi, double tap reload and switch weapons to reload while you shoot with your other weapon.

Sword canceling and sword flying apparently got killed by the MCC switching to 60 tick gameplay, maybe it was a glitch related to the 30 tick version that came out on Xbox. I know I've read a 343 Q&A where they mentioned that the skulls added to Halo 2 Anniversary allow some of the same trips to be taken, but without the sword jumping.

Other "Escape the Map" glitches are still very do-able and MCC added a few things like little hidden dolls out in some of the weirdest areas. Like, if you take the ghost out of bounds on Great Journey, you can still climb the mountain but theres a doll on top that you get an achievement for finding.

The Halo Engine/Blam! Engine kind of treats the player as some kind of Hydrogen molecule- that is to say to you, everything is permeable if you just push hard enough on the right material.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

TheGreySpectre posted:

Much as I love masterchief's trademark green armor, I would love if with all of these extra amor options 343 gave us the option to use customized armor in the campaign.

Also that sucks about marty being an rear end in a top hat. I'm kind of curious what the details are but I'm at work and most gaming sites are blocked.

This seems to cover it pretty well. Sounds like primarily a bunch of disagreements about music rights and being snarky about it while working on Destiny and discovering his music not being used in the trailers as well as some severe disagreements about company direction under Activision. With all that resulting in him getting pissy and working slowly through Destiny's audio work in response and managing the audio department into a slowdown which frustrated many working in the department.
https://kotaku.com/how-halo-and-destinys-composer-got-fired-from-bungie-1728943410
https://www.engadget.com/2015-09-04-halo-destiny-composer-marty-odonnell-wins-lawsuit-against.html

To be fair, Marty O'Donnel is a conservative (when asked about it in an early 2000s podcast, he did say "the surge is working thats all I'll say!") but I'm not sure if hes gone "FULL chud" in the way we think of it now. Still something to be aware of I think.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
August MCC Update
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-august-2020

Sounds like a lot of the multiplayer update stuff that was being tested in the ODST flights including better reporting options and server options is getting rolled into the main game with ODST.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 2, 2020

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Wasn’t the game originally a DLC expansion for Halo 3 that got padded into a full release?

Given that consideration I think it exceeded its initial goals.

Yeah it was originally an expansion. Heck I wouldve even be down for a 2nd ODST sized game that was about idk, the Arbiter going on a few adventures or something. Wouldn’t even need to change the mechanics much.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

You can get the first one after Buck's mission. I only found 21 by the time Data Core starts and then you're locked out of the rest of the city which kinda sucks.

Didn't suck as much as fighting a grenade proof Brute Chieftain with a fuel rod cannon and two jackal snipers, but still kinda sucked.

One nice thing is that your collection is cumulative- if you start a new game you still have all the audio logs from before and can finish it off that way.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm of two minds about that. On one hand it is very handy for repeat playthroughs of games because you have quick access to the audio logs, but on the other hand part of the fun of a new playthrough is secret hunting and having the logs not appear again on a log after you've found them all could be disappointing.

Yep, thats the drawback. After you've finished all that, there are very few reasons to go back to the streets of New Mombassa level.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Flannelette posted:

It's weird they never put in a enemy that countered the plasma pistol and pp/headshot combo.

Arguably the Brutes in Halo 2 are pretty close to this. Without any armor thats vulnerable to plasma, they're essentially bullet sponges with possible headshots after de-helmetification.

Arrath posted:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but plasma has never been very useful against flood, no?

In 3 it is the only thing that will damage flood Pure forms regardless of if they're armored up or not. I'd give the CE Plasma Rifle/Pistol extra points mostly because the bullet magnetism in the game tends to make it really easy to pop infection forms with them, and hitting a combat form stuns it briefly.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
In Halo 2, the Wraiths have the same amount of health as whoever is driving them. So if a spec ops elite is driving them, it can easily take upwards of 4 rockets on Heroic or Legendary. Same reason on those difficulties that any tank you drive becomes like wet tissue paper- it’s sympathetic damage based on the driver.

I think there also might be a bug here because I never encountered such resilient Wraiths until the MCC

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Firing up Halo 4 flighting and I have to say after the rest of the series I remember why I didn't spend much time with this title. Its really amazing how much harder it is to play when things like enemy silhouettes are kind of a blobby mess (Grunts/Elites) and the color grading makes Jackals with activated shields indistinct from say sunlit grass. And then the Promethians show up. There might be a special place in hell for the person who decided that the HUD needs to be a literal helmet with bits at the edge just blacked out- at least the FOV slider makes it possible to actually see through it.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Bedshaped posted:

I'm the kind of braindead person that thinks this is cool :smith:

5 arguably executes it better by defocusing those parts, and its less annoying on big monitors where your face is close enough that the HUD goes into your peripheral vision. Still very jarring after the rest of the games I think but to each their own.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone else get really bad screen tearing in MCC's charactet customization menus? I've got vsync turned on but it doesn't seem to work with the zoom and rotate animations for the customization tab.

Yeah. I think the MCC wrapper which includes the character customization display is actually running in UE4 and while it generally obeys framerate limiting it doesn't seem to understand vsync.

Seems like we're losing the old color customization in Infinite, in favor of a more Destiny-esque system.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/colorful-column

(cynically I'm guessing its to prevent people from reproducing the Mountain Dew Battle Rifle skin)

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Tighclops posted:

That company is not capable of doing anything right without immediately loving it up

I've been biased for a few years after a few friends I grew up with managed to finally get to work on Halo with 343... and then came out of it drained and defeated people. They can always pull something off I suppose, but theres zero reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Things seem tense at 343. Chris Lee leaves as project director.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-28/microsoft-s-new-halo-game-loses-top-director-after-project-delay