Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I am ready for Halo Reach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope it imports my old rank somehow

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

Is Halo Reach cross play with PC? Going to download this on both PC and Xbox either way.

Do we get all the armor customization from Reach or is it just a handful of armor sets like the rest of MCC did? This is important

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr E posted:

No Halo 3 won't be out on PC for a while.

Time to restart the fight we finished already

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

1stGear posted:

Has the AI for driving Warthogs always been broken or is that new? Whenever I take the turret and let the AI drive, 90% of the time they just spaz out in circles before stopping entirely and forcing me to drive. The remaining 10% they slowly head towards the objective in a jerky path, regularly stopping, briefly driving off the road, driving back on the road, etc.

The driver AI was always suicidal at best

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Turtlicious posted:

When I launch the game it gets to this point

and then doesn't launch.

Yeeeeep

e: It didn't actually download - force it to update

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 3, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aardvark Barber posted:

Go into the xbox app and update.

Yeah just saw the app is lying about it being ready lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

after spending this many years not playing halo on kbm there's no way I'm going back to controller

I fully expect to be outshot but I'm using a controller to the salty end for halo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

buglord posted:

Anyone having trouble doing text communication with friends in reach campaign?

Between Steam and Xbox Gamepass. We're both friends on XBL

I can't even get it to not crash when it hits the main menu and tries to sync my data

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3 crashes in and I'm good but lol at the armor unlock progression

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They added some cool stuff! New stuff in sights and scopes and radio conversations and things. Neat!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait a sec is invasion not in? I don't see it as a playlist option.

e: Oh it's ranked

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao cloaking is unbelievably powerful since directional audio and pubbies forgot vehicles are on invasion, so I'm basically an unkillable man-god at the moment

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tythas posted:

I am sorry you all are having audio and launch problems, my main problem with the game so far is how inaccurate the guns are even when you got your crosshair right on the enemies. I know that on the console versions the bullets were "magnetized" to go towards the enemy when the crosshair was red, the pc version do not do this, the neat side effect to this is showing off the amazing hitbox's they made for the covies especially jackals

Let the gun reticle 'reset' between shots

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Invasion as ranked only sucks because it means the moment you start losing, someone quits, then you definitely lose and no one takes their place

e: Am I insane or did active camo not recharge your shields in 360 Reach

Also whatever the "classic" vs "modern" aiming is doing it feels insanely good on modern, I'm making crackshots I never managed to land on 360

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 4, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Graphically I'm having no issues and it's pretty lagfree except for when it wants to throw me into West Europe for some reason. It's just the audio that's broken. This seasonal armor progression is pretty stupid too but whatever

Halo never had a custom game browser, just a game mode browser you could download some stuff from. Everyone just Had A Guy who had things going 24/7 seemingly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's amazing what a huge difference there is between classic and modern aiming. No wonder I'm actually hitting things now.

e: Generator Defense Firefight is p brutal

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 4, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mayman10 posted:

Is the whole modern/classic aiming for controllers?

Yeah, this video explained it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12MJVxHqZfA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nazzadan posted:

I went into accessibility and turned on all captions by default and was greeted with Jorge's captions IN HUNGARIAN in a cutscene and that's all that it turned on, no other captions ever appeared through the entire level lmao

I hope they subtitle Wort Wort Wort

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Normal Firefight's p easy if you take cover and hold a point but Generator Defense usually leads to two of them dying almost immediately, whether or not you put them in lockdown.

Tythas posted:

Fun fact the guy who did the space battle mission is also goon and made House of the Undying Sun

proof: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530373&userid=38351

Edit: added a better link

I had no idea that guy worked on the Saber mission, that rules

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

This drat matchmaker needs to have a confirmation for at least a few seconds to make sure you aren't actually idle as 100% of the time I'm not.

Yeah don't alt-tab or it'll boot you in a few minutes lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tighclops posted:

I'm loving heartbroken to see the Title Update in this so much, and what happened to Big Team? I kind of regret spending money on this now.

It feels like every game in the social playlist is a TU variant, I was always better at it than standard Reach but it's always been shittier

Big Team's still around, select 8v8 as the game size, it'll always do it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

TU is way better. Vanilla reach doesn't even have melee bleedthrough so if someone has any amount of shields left, no matter how small, and you melee them, none of the melee damage will go through to health. Lower bloom is also good.

:wrong:

quote:

Thanks I'll give that a try, also is there a trick to getting voice chat going or does nobody speak in this game?

Pretty much no one uses their mic though every now and then people will type in chat a bit (J key by default)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It'd be nice if you could join games in progress so the moment one team has a player drop they aren't hosed

quote:

I played Reach right back to the beta, I think I can recall all the horseshit surrounding the TU and how people just started ditching after they rolled it out into every loving playlist. People whining about poo poo like the bloom were always a loudmouthed minority

The only person I know who liked TU because Bloom Bad did even worse after it rolled out because he still couldn't pace his shots

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like this isn't the fully patched version of Reach btw - you can armor lock in hills/invasion points, which I'm reasonably sure was patched out by the end of the game. Your shields regen while cloaked too which I was p sure wasn't a thing but I may just be thinking of Mass Effect lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hawowanlawow posted:

so the TU is literally just bloom reduction and melee bleed through, and people are ..... complaining?

that is some serious Gamer.txt poo poo

It also weakens armor abilities and removes sword parrying. They add up to pretty drastic and bad changes that led to and inform a lot of awful decisions in 4 and 5

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, those changes all sucked and as 4 and 5 show were the wrong road to go down. Reach is still good in spite of them. It's good and cool to be able to fight the instant kill if you're skillful and not just plink away.

Frog Act posted:

What does TU stand for

Title Update

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

this is the most obvious case of "I played a game a lot so I think I'm an expert and they changed something QQ" I've seen in a while

My kd is way better on TU than on standard lol, it's just less fun and interesting. To be clear I didn't dislike it because it made me worse at the game, I disliked it because it pushed towards a more boring experience. I'm not saying the multi's not fun with it, just less so, and I can see decisions going forward that impacted 4.

quote:

that game has wallhack vision and regeneration field

3 added health regen items, not 4. They are in Reach as well. I could gripe about how sprint + anything and the more 'acrobatic' stuff they added in 5 is another big change that was probably a bad idea in the long run but it's more the aesthetic of it as well for me

e: Speaking of the TU, is the Classic Pistol an item drop anywhere on any playlist?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, as items, that you have to find on the map(and in the case of the powerful ones in 3, that you have to fight over). Not as armor abilities you just have whenever you respawn.
I also don't like sprint. Halo 2/3 are what I want to play more than anything but Reach is what I have for now.

The Drop Shield is an armor ability in Halo Reach. You can spawn with it as well as have it as a map spawn.

quote:

I also don't like sprint. Halo 2/3 are what I want to play more than anything but Reach is what I have for now.

I wonder what the timeline for adding the next games is? They took their time with Reach and it still had some issues in the port.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

Not in normal gamemodes though.

That's true, it got removed from them a few years in, some time after the first 343 TU

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

It's good against hunters at least. But for anything else if you turn up the difficulty high, getting that close is just such a bad idea.

The gravity hammer occasionally works in firefight just because of the aoe and knockback but even then I take it assuming I'm dead anyway but hopefully the teammate behind me will live on

The shotgun you're just asking to get coldclocked when you inevitably don't break the elite's shields :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

Hammer and sword in firefight get a special exception of "black eye enabler" once you get far enough that that's turned on, but that's not to say that they're actually good weapons.

To be honest I really think heroic is the sweet spot for halo PvE, I've beaten the campaigns on legendary but it's kind of a chore because you just get shield drained so fast, and so you have to spend a lot of time recharging shields and slowly repeeking enemies to whittle them down.

I remember the endless punch to the balls that was the rotating LASO mission. We spent three to four hours minimum each one. I gave up for a few of them then rejoined but I know a couple people who did every last one.

It wasn't worth it lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Anybody else get weird audio crackling issues during the campaign? The audio mixing itself is kind of poo poo (a hold over from the original release unfortunately) but this bothers me more.

Everyone p much, I get it whenever I use a jetpack or fire a needler

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I usually use sprint, armor lock, or drop shield then wait for a pubbie to die and take their DMR lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

Didn't people cry out for the Assault Rifle to return in Halo 3 after 2 replaced it with the DMR?

The SMGs replaced the assault rifle, then the DMR replaced the Battle Rifle and re-added the AR in Reach. Halo ODST had a silenced smg.

I still use the AR because it's fun but you'll get owned if you use it against anything bigger than a jackal in FF

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's not THAT much armor to unlock and each unlock gives you two to three at a time pretty often so I can't imagine there's more than two seasons or whatever. It's weird not just giving us the armor we've all had it for a decade

There's a few bits missing in the current one, like the red visor color, so not all of it is there

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How did they even gently caress it up so bad?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Turns out I don't miss voice chat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pubbies haven't learned to look up or behind them

It's been a decade

Adbot